How was your commute today? - Page 133- Mtbr.com
Page 133 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3383123129130131132133
Results 26,401 to 26,449 of 26449
    mtbr member
    I am not commuting but might ride next friday. For the rest I am usually going for a walk or bikeride in lunchtime. Tuesday I rode 21k which is almost a round trip commute. Last week I made 3 trips of approx 13k, on one I reached 56kph downhill \,,/ today was 23 minutes only but I hammered it so it was a good workout. Oh and last sunday I rode the fatbike for 3h30m. So I do get some riding, just no real commutes.

Well done for everyone that keeps riding. I wonder about mtbx she wasnt here for a longer time.

Keep going and stay safe you all!

CB of the East
    Yeah, i was wondering about MTXB too. She's been a fixture here for as long as I have. I've been mostly doing nothing but commutes. And direct ones at that, no wandering. We did get out on a fatbike ride with a friend last weekend. It was the first time I rolled the fatty since last winter.

This will be a "perfect" commuting week. Both directions all 5 days. Not bad for November.

mtbr member
    I've been riding throughout the pandemic, both commuting and mtb. It's good to keep at least that part of life consistent.

mtbr member
    I finished work today around noon. Rode to the kayaking club, paddled 12k, rode back home. 1hr / 20k of riding and 2hrs of paddling in between. Lovely. Oh and the weather was good too, sunny, little wind, 12C....not like november at all.

mtbr member
    Well I hope mtbx is allright. Is anyone maybe in touch with her on facebook or something?

Bedwards itnlooks like you are the most consistent commuter here. But why no detours at the moment?

S0ckeyeus well.we all know its an addiction. When I am not outside for a few days my mood is really going below freezing and nothing goes anymore. Amazing what a difference an hour of cycling or walking makes.

So, keep going everyone! Go before or after work, during lunch like me, or whatever!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've been getting in some mountain bike rides, but exercise has been tough lately

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Got the trainer setup last week and suffered through enough rides to have solid impressions:

How was your commute today?-img_2257_j.jpg

Positives:
    - It's nice to have this option when there is snow and ice on the roads outside.
    - The trainer setup was easy...I dropped my gravel bike onto it, tweaked the shifting, stuck a bleed block into the rear brake caliper (in case I grab the rear brake accidentally) and I was ready to roll.
    - I signed up on Zwift which has a myriad of virtual routes, training plans, social ride options and racing options. Makes riding on a trainer more interesting/bearable.
    - I've gotten some really good workouts in.

Negatives:
    - It's inside.

We will see how it goes over the winter. Commuting to an office everyday was my way of staying in shape. Without that, I need other options to stay fit.

Washington State is going back into lockdown today, for 30 days. I have to go to the office tomorrow to pick up some equipment and will get a real road ride in...otherwise mostly trainer for me for the next few months.

CB of the East
    Oh woodway! You broke so many rules there!!! A roadbike on a MTB forum. A trainer on a commuting forum. LOL. It's all good.
    Maine isn't on lockdown but were pretty close. Masks are mandated outside anywhere you might encounter people like parks, parking lots and downtown streets. Technically I think it is anytime you are outside, period . But I'm not wearing them on my rides where I never encounter a soul.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Bedwards itnlooks like you are the most consistent commuter here. But why no detours at the moment?
    Cold and dark mostly. My AM commutes are generally in the light but have been around 40F or below (Forecast for 17F in a few days). And the evenings are totally dark and I like to stick to roads I know. I'm still getting 75-100 miles a week in so I'm not too fat yet and haven't resorted to a.................trainer.

We even got out for a bonus MTB ride over the weekend.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Oh woodway! You broke so many rules there!!! A roadbike on a MTB forum. A trainer on a commuting forum. LOL. It's all good.
    These are strange times for sure...

I'm still getting 75-100 miles a week in so I'm not too fat yet and haven't resorted to a.................trainer.
    I'm jealous as hell, bedwards. I'm going to get outside when I can, but I miss the hell out of my daily commute and the trainer reflects my level of desperation. Good work on your part!

mtbr member
    Woodway you are amazing. That pic of the trainer in the middle of the livingroom in front of the TV :LOL: is worth a post in the "you know you are a bikecommuter when...." thread.

Bedwards nice comments too

And I wonder how strict your mask rules are. Even here we dont have to wear a mask outside...

I admit I sent a PM to mtbx to ask how she is doing and no reply yet - I am slightly wondering...

I walked during lunchtime but yesterday I made a 62k ride on the gravelbike. I am hoping to get a 100k ride in the next weeks but I have to admit those 62k were hard already. Better leave out thos rooty trails I was rattling over for more than an hour.

CB of the East
    HaHa! Yeah, I'm lucky to be able to continue it.

I think the days for the shorts are numbered, like 1 more.

CB of the East
    And I wonder how strict your mask rules are. Even here we dont have to wear a mask outside...
    Pretty Strict:
    b.Outdoor spaces including but not limited to playgrounds, parking lots,sidewalks, athletic and sports venues, and other areas such as lines for take*out service where the public typically gathers in a smaller area;
    But we haven't hit lockdown status. I'm personally of the mindset to avoid all of those places if possible anyway.

mtbr member
    Well no reply from mtbx yet and it seems she wasnt in the forum for the last 3 weeks. Just busy with other things I hope.

Bedwards I agree, currently its better to stay away from anyone except the ones who live with you. I hope things will turn and a cure will be found soon.

Woodway, I just thought, cant you connect zwift to virtual reality goggles so that you can look in every direction? That would be cool!

I made an 9k ride during lunchtime. Conditions were not ideal, drizzle and windy. Liked it

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Commuting has been GREAT! Weather is turning, so it's perfect for my liking...highs in the low 60s, lows in the low 40s. I grew up in a much colder place, so this is "chilly" for the locals...thus, I have the MUP mostly to myself in the mornings!

No rain for awhile either, so washed the bike last night after I pedaled home, lubed the chain this morning!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Woodway you are amazing. That pic of the trainer in the middle of the livingroom in front of the TV :LOL: is worth a post in the "you know you are a bikecommuter when...." thread.
    Desperate times call for desperate measures. We have a "mother-in-law" apartment at our house, and no mother-in-law living with us (thank goodness). I use the apartment living room as my office and pushed the couch aside to setup my trainer. So I can stand up from my desk, take a couple of steps and swing a leg over the trainer! My wife is tolerating the setup so far...

Virtual goggles are coming at some point Dutchman, although I am not sure how safe they would be in a situation like this, it would be too easy to try and lean into a turn and topple the trainer over!

Every state has their own rules, here in Washington State:

"An order from the secretary of health requires Washingtonians to wear face coverings in public spaces and shared spaces, both indoors and outdoors. Examples include hotel or apartment hallways, outdoors where many people are gathered such as parks, playgrounds or popular walking paths, and in a restaurant when not seated and eating."

I took the bus down to Seattle yesterday to get a haircut. I was a little nervous about it but the seats are blocked such that the bus can only be 25% full and everyone is spread out. Plus you cannot board without a wearing mask. In the end, there was no reason to be worried, going to Seattle there were only two others on the bus and coming back I had the bus to myself!

I see many people wearing masks outside, but I don't wear one when I ride. I would probably go into hypoxia

Well no reply from mtbx yet and it seems she wasnt in the forum for the last 3 weeks. Just busy with other things I hope.
    I hope she is OK as well.

And good job on the gravel rides Dutchman!

I did an actual commute to the office yesterday, got rained on, but I did not mind a bit.

nayr497 Good job on the commute! Where are you located?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Virtual goggles are coming at some point Dutchman, although I am not sure how safe they would be in a situation like this, it would be too easy to try and lean into a turn and topple the trainer over!
    A guy here at work got out of the seat for a sprint on his zwift trainer and rode right into his coffee table. The struggle is real.

nayr497, yeah, lubing the chain is a good idea. I don't think I have done that on any of my bikes in a while.

I sent MTXB an email. We'll check in on her if she likes it or not.

Besides, without her I have nobody to commiserate on this cold snap we are having. This morning's temps were in the teens (F). I took the mountain bike. The fast downhills on the road parts were pretty chilly. Once I got to the trails it was all good. My feet were a little chilly. I need a new pair of winter boots that are good for flat pedals.

Otherwise, the trails were totally peaceful this morning.

mtbr member
    I was thankful for the fenders this morning. I ran through some fluid that I'm pretty sure was sewage. Smelled great...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I was thankful for the fenders this morning. I ran through some fluid that I'm pretty sure was sewage. Smelled great...
    Yes, the livestock trucks leave road residue that make fenders desirable here.

Moderator Moderator
    Hi Friends! I am good, but MTBR said I failed the human verification step to log in, lol.

I actually bikecommuted more this week than in months, due to a project that would not work from home. Heres the empty office yesterday:

How was your commute today?-covidoffice.jpg

In other news, I got a new fatbike, another Fatback, the Corvus. I will have to catch up on the news. Need fenders back on the winter commuter, removed them for a bikecamping trip in July.

CB of the East
    New fatbike! Nice!!! You were one of the first people I knew with a fatbike and I think you have had the same one since, maybe not. CORVUS sounds a little too much like CORonaVirUS to me.

After yesterday morning's shocking cold the evening and this morning's commute have seemed downright pleasant at about 35F. Both were very peaceful too. I took the trail home last night and I was probably the only person that had been out there all day. Today I was 5 miles into the commute and had only seen 2 cars.

mtbr member
    Hi mtbx, thanks for checking in and glad you're ok. Congrats on the new fatbike!

S0ckeyeus, sewage? Eeew....

Well I worked until noon today. This afternoon I rode my bike 1hr45m and walked 1h30m - enough exercise for today. Planning another longer ride with friends on sunday. The only thing that makes us notice corona and lockdown is that there are more people outside.

Have a nice weekend everyone and stay healthy.

Moderator Moderator
    New fatbike! Nice!!! You were one of the first people I knew with a fatbike and I think you have had the same one since, maybe not. CORVUS sounds a little too much like CORonaVirUS to me.
    Yes, it's my second one, I got the first in 2011 after Irene's flooded us out of our office and I was able to ride snowmachine and Millstone trails to our temp office. Thanks for ruining the name, lol. It's supposed to put you in mind of ravens and crows.

How was your commute today?-orvus.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I love my fatback Rhino. Carbon would be nice though.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Good to see you back MTBX! Don't let bedwards ruin your new FatBike experience

I did a single commute to the office this week and another really nice 40m/64km ride near my house. Hope to get out today for another 40m ride. Man I miss my daily commute.

CB of the East
    I whimped out. It's absolutely pouring this morning with temps in the low 30s. The afternoon is likely just as wet. I barely had to think about the decision to bring the car.

mtbr member
    I whimped out. It's absolutely pouring this morning with temps in the low 30s. The afternoon is likely just as wet. I barely had to think about the decision to bring the car.
    Those are probably my least favorite conditions. I don't blame you one bit.

Commute in was pleasant here. I got a late start due to not being able to find my gear. While searching for a leg warmer, which ended up being at work, I misplaced my skullcap. Then I couldn't find one of my gloves. Then after I finally got out the door, I realized I'd left my rear light inside for charging and had to run back in.

CB of the East
    ^^I used to just say I was hard core and just suffer through them but I'm slowly gaining wisdom in my old age. I think.

I've definitely had mornings like you where I end up going back in for something 2-3 times. Those are invariably the days I forget my coffee too.

mtbr member
    Tough way to start the day woodway.

Bedwards you say you are old and wise? I prefer to stay young

I did not commute today but rode a nice loop around town that ended up twice as long as planned. Yesterday I rode the fatbike digging through deep mud. And saturday I rode to the kayaking club just to bring some things there. I was honked at 3 times and I wonder why, I was on the MUP out of their way. Its germany, I cant imagine they were actually encouraging me for riding in cold, headwind, drizzle and darkness while being lit up like a christmas tree.

mtbr member
    An early Thanksgiving (US) post in case I forget later:
    How was your commute today?-5jlleu.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-20181120_170516-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    woodway - I'm in central NC but grew up in upstate NY. Lots of ice hockey, skiing and snowboarding as a kid, so the winters here are very mild for me. I commute year-round, probably 90% on an MUP. I'm very, very lucky about my home/office location, both not far from where I can jump on it.

I started bike commuting to work years ago while waiting for a bus and seeing someone ride by on a bicycle. "Hmm, I own a bike, I know how to ride it, I don't like standing around..."

That was the start of a pretty serious love affair with riding bikes Now I ride almost everywhere, both to get around and for fun/exercise. It would be cool to know how many miles I've pedaled vs. driven over the years.

mtbr member
    Hi Nayr, that sounds nice! Did you put your tag on the map already and post a pic of your bike in the threads that are pinned to the top of this forum?

No ride for me today but I am going later this evening for a short spin around the block in the dark.

CB of the East
    I did an extended trail ride in this morning. It was only around 20F, maybe less and now it is snowing. I think I am carpooling home. Happy Thanksgiving all, or whatever limited, hunkered down, zoom meeting version of Thanksgiving you are celebrating. Ours will be limited to 4 people this year down from a usual 12.

While we are at it, I give thanks for the light casual bike commuting conversation with my friends here at the MTBR commuting forum.

mtbr member
    Oh thanksgiving again already? Here in Germany they copied Xmas and Halloween already, I wonder when they will copy Thanksgiving here in Germany.

So from Germany as well: Happy Thanksgiving!

I made a short 30 minute ride this evening, just to be on the bike and to be outside.

Moderator Moderator
    Happy Thanksgiving bikecommuters! Especially thankful for a 4-day weekend and four-footed company.

mtbr member
    I made a nice walk during lunchtime of 40 minutes and a 55 minute bikeride this evening. It was dark and foggy, a bit spooky on the unlit spots - I liked it

mtbr member
    OK everyone is off for Thanksgiving except me ;o))

I made real commutes today! I met a co-worker directly in front of the house, so we rode together. Temps were around freezing with some fog and sunny, very pretty all together. Extended the ride home a bit, made for 1hr30min of riding for today.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice ride Dutchman and bedwards.

Nayr497 - central NC is a beautiful place. Glad to see have you here!

We had a good but quiet thanksgiving...just a neighborhood couple and my wife and myself.

I did get a good ride in Thanksgiving day...I pushed up above the snow line (maybe 500 feet above my house). The road was generally clear, but the bridges all had a thick layer of ice, so I had to get off and push my bike across them. Beyond that, it was a beautiful day to ride! I tried to upload a few pics, but the MTBR photo upload functionality seems to be pretty broken.

I expect at least one office commute this week. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

mtbr member
    Thanks Woodway. Your ride sounds good too. Clever idea to get above the snow line! How high was that?

Guess what. I had nothing better to do today so I planned a ride yesterday and rode a metric century today. My first in 30 years I guess ... I left at first light around 8am. and arrived 2pm already. Weather wasnt too pleasant, 2-4C and fog in the morning so the views were not impressing. I filled up my thermal mug about halfway and forgot it there at McD :-/ so I had to drink water of 3C, yuck. I also got a coffee at a gas station. I was pretty nervous if I would make it, but I planned it as safe as possible including bailout options. It turned out much easier than I thought.
    In the end I rode 112km/69m in 5h06m, average 21kph/13mph. I admit it was flat and I had a tailwind all the way

Still pretty happy. I am not even totally flattened, but I dont know if I could do it again the next day...

Happy weekend everyone!
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 1 Day Ago at 10:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Next fake commute today. Finished work early at 2pm and rode the fatbike for 30k/20m in 2h15min. Got back in the last daylight and I still have a whole evening in front of me...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Good work Dutchman!

Snow line is currently about 2800ft./850 meters. But it's creeping lower every day.

Going to be a trainer day for me today...

Moderator Moderator
    Sounds fast and fat Dutchman! My commutes today were just a bit above freezing, and raining on the way home. It was "supposed" to get up to 50F and raining after work, but it was 38F. Nice rides though, and I managed to avoid major puddle splashes by passing cars.

Yesterday I collected roadside trash with the "Silver Sweeper" (the Litespeed commuter and Wike utility trailer). It took 4 hours to cover 9 miles because of all the litter, including a scary three 1.75 liter bottles of LTD Canadian Whiskey.

How was your commute today?-ltd.jpg

How was your commute today?-ltd2.jpg

The LBS sponsors the Silver Sweeper by letting me use their dumpster for the trash collected

mtbr member
    The whisky was still sealed, MTBxplorer? Maybe someone left it on the roof of their vehicle. If that sort of find was common, you'd get a lot of volunteers!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Hahah, no, they were empty but resealed. I can only hope it was an underage party unloading the evidence rather than 1 person drinking that much. I have found a full Bud light on my last 2 excursions though; 1 still in the 12-pack and probably ditched by mistake, the other in a ditch yesterday and I had to break the ice to retrieve it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Woah, was about to write that you sure need to slow down on the cheap booze, gonna hurt your cycling legs (and gut!). Glad you did a good dead and were trail sweeping for refuse

CB of the East
    Dutchman: Congrats on the metric century plus+. You should try it on a nice day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    including a scary three 1.75 liter bottles of LTD Canadian Whiskey.
    But how many Fireball nips? I've found a full bud lite too. I'm not sure that falls into the treasure category.

We had quite a storm overnight. 100,000 homes without power (including ours) when I got up. My commute was through the dark to the sound of generators with blustery wind and light...heavier...heavy rain. But it was warm for this time of year. Luckily, because I was in a windbreaker and soaked by the time I got to work.

mtbr member
    Got my first taste of winter weather today. It snowed yesterday and last night. We pretty much only got a dusting, but the roads had a little ice on them in spots and the bridges on the MUP were icy and covered in snow.

I've been bike commuting for over 13 years, but today I had a new experience. I pulled my bike out of the garage and started to hop on before I realized I didn't have any pedals. I just got a BMX race bike last week and robbed my 2nd best set of pedals for that bike and forgot to put any pedals onto my commuter. Luckily the pedals and wrench were close by, so it barely took any time to replace the pedals.

For anyone who's curious, the BMX is pretty sweet. I've never really ridden one, other than the BMX-ish bikes I had as a kid, but I've had a hankering for one the last couple years. I took my oldest son to the track this weekend, and we both had a blast. It's definitely a different experience than my trail bike, but I can't wait for some dryer weather so I can get back to the track.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Haha, that is pretty funny about the pedals s0ck! I have a lot of fun on my BMX cruiser, but I have not tried it on a track, sounds fun!

Moderator Moderator
    Dutchman: Congrats on the metric century plus+. You should try it on a nice day.
    But how many Fireball nips? I've found a full bud lite too. I'm not sure that falls into the treasure category.

We had quite a storm overnight. 100,000 homes without power (including ours) when I got up. My commute was through the dark to the sound of generators with blustery wind and light...heavier...heavy rain. But it was warm for this time of year. Luckily, because I was in a windbreaker and soaked by the time I got to work.
    Glad your power is back, at least I hope it is! Warm here too today, but after telework today it rained and then hailed as I walked the dog. The only nip I found was upscale, a Sambuca, although I read last year that the Fireball whisky is one of the best-sellers here. I see it is 3x the price of the LTD though, which tells you how bad the LTD must be.

mtbr member
    We got enough snow to stay on grass, culverts, bridges, and places prone to drifting in. Tonight's low will be 21F. And so the winter of 2020-2021 begins here. Last year we had snow on Nov 29 with the Oak out front having 95% of its leaves. Drought got the leaves down this year.

I can just see the look of chagrin and the mental dumb-slap when the pedal shortage made itself known! Chock it up as an early senior moment.

Power outages suck. We had a squirrel short out a substation, with a shortage of large transformers, and were off grid for almost three days. Fortunately the freezer was only about 25% full. Barbequed the meat and used ice from stores to get by.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.