How was your commute today? - Page 132- Mtbr.com
Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132
Results 26,201 to 26,343 of 26343
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Jeremy are you selling the fargo because of the tiagra brifters? I remember you complained about them and that it was the reason to try the jones bar. I have those on my cx bike and they hurt on my hands too. It must be them because I have the same tape and bar as on my commuter, which has sram brakelevers on them and those feel much better. If you liked the rest of the fargo you could consider to rebuild the frame with sram gearing?

It is actually geared up with SRAM Rival 1 brifters 1x11 with an Apex 1 rear derailleur. I like the gearing a lot and I grew to love the shifting of the SRAM double tap brifters. But I cannot say this loudly enough I hate the hoods. I have tried multiple positions and different bar tape and I keep having issues with my hands hurting and going numb. The Jones H bar also didnít work for me. It doesnít help that I am comparing the Fargo to my single speed El Mariachi that fits me perfectly and I could not love more. I even tried the Jones bar on my El Mariachi and didnít like that either. I think it just has too much back sweep for me.

So I fear that maybe drops just arenít for me and since the Fargo is designed around that type of bar it just isnít the right bike for me. No big loss itís in great shape and Iím sure will make someone very happy. Especially since it will come with 2 complete wheel sets (27.5+ and 29) with rotors, a Jones bar, Jones grips, and a flat bar shifter. I could possibly be convinced to include the Cane Creek Thud-Buster Seat Post for the right price. Hope that answers your question Dutchman.

Cheers and stay safe all.

CB of the East
    ^^Still not a fan of double tap. There just isn't an option if the hanger is a little off or the cable is a little sticky. With Shimano you can give it a little extra push to get the chain to a bigger cog but not with doubletap.

Commutes have been good. What day is it anyway? I found a hat this morning.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    It was going well until I died.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

CB of the East
    ^^Sorry to hear you died Buster. Hope things go better in the afterlife.

The weather has continued its amazing stretch. I guess we pre-paid for it with the crappy spring we had. I've been trying to mix in more mountain biking with my commutes. My wife is working extended hours through this little COVID thing so she can't ride in to work. Well she could if she wanted to get up around 4AM and then work 11 hours but she hasn't been excited about that idea. So, I'm shuttling her car home a few times a week so she can have afternoon bike commutes for exercise. Mountain biking both ways can be a little much so it works out well.

Grand Rapids, MI
    finally got a ďcommuteĒ in yesterday. had to go to the office to get a loaner computer since mine has been having issues here at home. felt good to be on that route again. and, since the last time i rode in, theyíve added a stoplight and a crosswalk (and most notably a break in the curb to get up on the sidewalk/MUP) at a high-speed intersection on my route. so thatís a plus, will help a lot during rush hour as well as no more curb hopping for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    >>>RAD

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Still not a fan of double tap. There just isn't an option if the hanger is a little off or the cable is a little sticky. With Shimano you can give it a little extra push to get the chain to a bigger cog but not with doubletap.
    Love me some doubletap! I have an old bike with Shimano brifters on it and everytime I ride it, I re-recall that for me, doubletap is just easier and more natural.

But Jeremy, I feel your pain on the hoods. It took a bit of tweaking for me to get them comfortable. What worked for me was to move the hoods a little higher than normal on the bars and then I added some padding on the top of the bars where the bars meet the brifter to make that transition a little less "abrupt" (if that makes sense).

And bedwards, FWIW, I have no problem giving the shifter a little push when the chain is being cranky to move it to the next gear.

I'm still at my place in Central Washington, getting plenty of rides in going around in big circles. Like bedwards, I am starting to mix in a few more MTB rides in, but I broke a spoke on my rear wheel over the weekend and decided to have the whole wheel re-laced (if one spoke breaks due to what looks like fatigue, the others cannot be far behind). Supposed to get it back tomorrow and will try to get some rides in over the weekend.

CB of the East
    ^^I guess that's why they make both styles.

I broke a spoke, well actually, a spoke broke on my cross bike a few years ago. I didn't have anything to do with it. It happened on a stretch of smooth road for no apparent reason. Anyway, i replaced just the one spoke and it probably has 4000 miles on it with no other issues. Spokes can be weird.

I did another MTB commute to day. I've been shaving about 1 second off a segment I have been working on each time I do it. It is a pretty exciting, mostly downhill doubletrack with some challenging surfaces and banked corners. Fun stuff.

Last night I rode past a deer which seemed unfazed that I just rode by. I stopped, took out my camera and snapped a pic while it stood there and looked at me.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Buster may you Ride In Peace.

Again no commute this week. I am planning to go at least one day into the office next week, probably tuesday. Now that normal life is slowly returning, the coronacrisis is now reaching work. We are on partial unemployment the next 7 fridays and I hope it wont get much worse, although they expect the lowest point to be in september. Rumours are also saying that layoffs are on the way. We'll see how it works out and hope for the best...

No mtb rides either but I do get some distance in by just shuttling the kids and making small rides with them in the afternoon. Today it added up to around 80% of a round trip commute.Yesterday and today we rode in the rain too, I acted like it was a surprise that it was going to rain. We got soaked and made the best of it, but I did not explain about rules 5 and 9, I just that we can change into dry clothes at home and that being wet is nothing to worry about.

Woodway sounds really nice around your homeoffice! And for bedwards too but I am not sure i I would like such curious neighbours ^^

Please stay all safe and well and enjoy the weekend !

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the well wishes. Oddly the afterlife has internet access. Pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    I felt safer today now that I have an angel looking after me.

Woot woot! I commuted today. First time after 5 weeks. 15C this morning and 21C on the way home. Took the long 1.5hr way home so total riding time 2hrs today. We are also supposed to start returning to the office on a weekly alternating rythm so I think 2-3 commutes every 2nd week are going to be standard this summer.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice Dutchman!

I'll be going to the office two days a week starting next week.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Saw a guy wearing a maga hat. Almost crashed my bike.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I felt safer today now that I have an angel looking after me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    Saw a guy wearing a maga hat. Almost crashed my bike.
    Sorry Dutchman, apparently he went to hell, so no angel. Commuted to go get tubes yesterday, and since my touring/commuter bike had a flat I was on the single speed mtb with cruiser bars. Honestly a lot of fun, but it's geared for rocky climbs, so up or down is fine, but biking on flats pretty much sucks. Like spinning out at 14 mph. I'll probably change that, soon, as I'm hoping to get some 26" cyclocross (there's like one maybe two options) or gravel tires so I'll get a smaller freewheel at the same time. I chose a route with extra hills.
    dang

CB of the East
    ^^LOL, Hell is filled with MAGA hats and 120RPM at 14MPH gearing.

Man, it has been a week since my last post. Time Flies? I'm still commuting by bike every day and shuttling a car home for my wife a few times a week. But today I get to do a round trip and it is a beautiful day.

mtbr member
    No commute today again, but I compensated that with a 2hr fatbike ride yesterday and a 1hr gravelride on the cx bike today.

Bedwards I was wondering already. Without you this thread turns silently instantly... Good to hear that you and RR are ok.

Woodway are you back in seattle I guess? I heard some things on the news about angry people there, not on your route I hope?

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^^LOL, Hell is filled with MAGA hats and 120RPM at 14MPH gearing.
    That's probably a true statement. I was also wearing flip flops.

Today I was supposed to go to the DMV and saw online I had to make an appointment but it wouldn't let me, so I rode down there to check it out. They're booked through August. They can just put their registration fee where the sun don't shine, then. If I get pulled over I'll just tell them I tried and take the ticket. I've driven the truck only 3500 miles since getting it 18 months ago, so whatever.

Anyway, this encouraged me to ride more. Stopped at a walking/biking path at a seminary where people practice cx and had a lot of fun. All in all stretched my few miles of commuting to 22, and I'm ok with that.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Woodway are you back in seattle I guess? I heard some things on the news about angry people there, not on your route I hope?
    Back in Seattle two days a week. Over at my place in central Washington the rest of the time. The protests and CHAZ are over in downtown Seattle, and my office is east of Seattle in the suburbs. So I don't go anywhere near there.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I've driven the truck only 3500 miles since getting it 18 months ago, so whatever.
    My truck will be 3 years old this fall and has about 7500 miles on it. It might be the most expensive $/mile vehicle on the road. I did use it to get some lumber to build a picnic table this weekend.

But this week I'll be on my bike as much as possible. We are in a stretch of beautiful weather. Although the mornings are still chilly. I switched between arm warmers and a windbreaker a few times before deciding on the windbreaker. Then I went outside with the windbreaker on and went back in for the arm warmers. Chilly to start but good once warmed up is better than good to start and sweaty at the end, I guess.

NDD
    mtbr member
    My truck will be 3 years old this fall and has about 7500 miles on it. It might be the most expensive $/mile vehicle on the road. I did use it to get some lumber to build a picnic table this weekend.

But this week I'll be on my bike as much as possible. We are in a stretch of beautiful weather. Although the mornings are still chilly. I switched between arm warmers and a windbreaker a few times before deciding on the windbreaker. Then I went outside with the windbreaker on and went back in for the arm warmers. Chilly to start but good once warmed up is better than good to start and sweaty at the end, I guess.
    Yes that's true about miles per $$$, but fortunately for me I've never bought a truck for more than $1500.

We're also having good weather. A balmy 84 F this afternoon. Unfortunately I had nowhere to go.
    dang

CB of the East
    Yes that's true about miles per $$$, but fortunately for me I've never bought a truck for more than $1500.
    The 1 Ton Denali that I bought new was a little more than that. But the payment is similar.

I took the hardtail in on the roads this morning so I could get to an appointment. Damn, that bike is pretty quick on the road. I wanted it for a trail ride with the girls this afternoon. ("The Girls" are in their 50s like me but everybody is a kid on the trails)

NDD
    mtbr member
    The 1 Ton Denali that I bought new was a little more than that. But the payment is similar.

I took the hardtail in on the roads this morning so I could get to an appointment. Damn, that bike is pretty quick on the road. I wanted it for a trail ride with the girls this afternoon. ("The Girls" are in their 50s like me but everybody is a kid on the trails)
    Zoinks!!! I need to go to the grocery store later, so I'm going to try a new, very bike friendly route. Trying to convince my wife we can do all grocery shopping by bike. Also found an easy way to get to the hardware store. Now I need a cargo bike to haul lumber!
    dang

Grand Rapids, MI
    dang bedwards, what do you tow?

>>>RAD

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yup, it was a good one, made me realize that I need new panniers, and also that I need to start getting groceries like this all the time. Alright I'll admit, my wife does most of the grocery shopping without me so that I can't ask her if we really need everything she picks up. I've had the panniers since 2015 only, but shortly after I got them I fell and ripped a hole in one and now the other is busting at a seam. Also my dogs tore one up, so yeah (you can see that because It's not closed all the way, as it only has one strap now). Anyway, a good grocery haul: 2 cans of black beans, 2 cans of diced tomato, 1 package of tortillas, 1 bag of tortilla chips (it's kinda my thing), 1 bag of Red Hot Riplets (a St. Louis special), a bag of apples, a bag of red onions, 12-pack of La Croix Hibiscus flavor, a bag of prunes, 3 bell peppers, a box of mushrooms, some roasted garlic hummus, a box of rigatoni, coffee filters, a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, and a pizza/flatbread thing which was dinner tonight because I was lazy. If I was shopping for two people for 7+ days I'd need to bring the dog cart, but my wife will be working out of town, so it's just me and the dogs. Hon' had to inspect the goods as I arrived.

dang

CB of the East
    ^^That was a very detailed list NDD. Right down to the flavor of the sparkling water.

Quote Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    dang bedwards, what do you tow?
    Anything I want. But mostly nothing. My last truck was a Diesel and the added $$ to go to the diesel actually increased in value over the 12 years I owned that truck so I figured I'd try it again. Mostly when it was time to get a new truck the gas ones felt lifeless after driving the diesel.

Good rides. Our friend that I rode with last night was passing my house to go collect her car at our office so I rode in with her with a few added miles. I'm really going to need to water the garden but I'm not complaining about this weather.

CB of the East
    HELLO...Hello...hello...

Kind of empty in here. Happy almost first day of summer all. Commutes were good all week. I missed 2 out of the 10 possible trips but only because I was sharing with my wife.

This weekend I'm hauling some kayaks with the truck. I hope it can handle the weight of 3 of them.

mtbr member
    Bedwards, this week you are not alone!

I rode today and planning to ride at least up to Wednesday, maybe also Thursday. It felt good on the bike, weather is very nice and warm here and I made a nice detour on the way home.

CB of the East
    That is sounding kind of normal dutchman.

I have done zero cycling since Friday morning yet this morning my legs were tired. What the heck? I guess I'll shoot for an easy ride home. I really need to log some long miles to burn off this COVID belly I'm growing.

mtbr member
    Yes we were told to start coming into the office again to get back to normal life. But today I was alone in our 18-desk office space so there was no difference to homeoffice. The only reason why I go to the office is to ride my bike

And I managed to keep my belly as is. I think the occasional kid shuttle, fatbike rides, paddling and short overnighters have done the job well enough.

Bedwards, did you not have a chance for long rides yet? And an easy ride home is good, not bad I think ^^

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I rode to work wednesday and thursday last week. I took the day off on Friday and rode from my house near Seattle to my place in Central Washington. Just under 105 miles/169 kilometers. It was a great ride, maybe 50/50 gravel/road (I even rode on the Interstate for a few miles), and I got to ride through the Snoqualmie Tunnel at the top of the pass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Tunnel

https://www.strava.com/activities/3640283921

I rode my TI commuter with the Conti 700x32c GP-5000 tires. Super impressed with these tires, they handled the gravel beautifully.

Planning to ride to work two days again this week.

mtbr member
    Well today I was not alone in the office, there was one other collegue on the other end of the room....

but the commutes were good again. Another short detour on the way home. It was 11C this morning and it felt a bit chilly in the shadow, but out in the sun it was nice already. Very warm on the way home.

^^Woodway that looks like quite a ride and pretty quick average too! I dont even make that on my 22km round trip commute in the flat....~20 km/h average only. And that tunnel looks interesting too. Is it lighted? and open for cars? Looks too narrow for cars to pass each other right?

CB of the East
    Bedwards, did you not have a chance for long rides yet? And an easy ride home is good, not bad I think ^^
    I haven't wanted to give up 4-5 hours of the weekend to ride. The ride home was medium easy but I was feeling a little peppier.

Yeah woodway, that's the kind of ride I need. Cool tunnel. I'll have to put that on the list when we come out to ride with you. That ride looks like it would be a lot easier in the other direction.

I took the hard tail in through the trails this morning and plan on an afternoon trail ride with the girls.

Grand Rapids, MI

How was your commute today?

Anything I want. But mostly nothing.
    lol.. gotcha.

still working remote. took a pleasure ride last night on my commute route, and they repaved the one section of actual road i have to ride; not mad about that!

been getting less saddle time in since summer showed up, as cycling takes a back seat to boating.

>>>RAD

mtbr member
    Wow bender nice boat you have there.

Last commutes today, will work from home tomorrow and forced off on friday. Today was warm again, 17C this morning already and 27C on the way home. Made a nice detour which made for 2hrs of riding time today. I have to say, I do feel slightly sore, I notice now that I am not used to riding everyday anymore. Will try to keep up more on the weekends and on homeoffice days.

mtbr member
    Got passed by a neighbor almost at the top of a blind hill within 100 feet of the intersection at the top only 0.7 miles from home. He got stuck in the left lane but did not actually stop. No oncoming traffic. At least he did not just cut me off. It's been years since someone was that impatient. Two reckless driving charges and a stop sign all within 100 feet. Otherwise the ride was uneventful.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^Woodway that looks like quite a ride and pretty quick average too! I dont even make that on my 22km round trip commute in the flat....~20 km/h average only. And that tunnel looks interesting too. Is it lighted? and open for cars? Looks too narrow for cars to pass each other right?
    Dutchman, it's a old railroad tunnel, part of an abandoned railroad line that crosses the state of Washington. When the railroad folded in 1980, the state took over the line, removed the rails and made it into a (gravel) multi-use trail.

No lights in the tunnel, and no cars. Here is a pic I took about halfway through.

How was your commute today?-img_1675.jpg

ANd here is my bike at the east entrance.
    How was your commute today?-img_1676.jpg

Yeah woodway, that's the kind of ride I need. Cool tunnel. I'll have to put that on the list when we come out to ride with you. That ride looks like it would be a lot easier in the other direction.
    There is nothing like having a day to yourself when the only goal is to turn the pedals over at whatever pace you see fit. I've not done the ride in the other direction, but yes it would be much easier.

Come on out bedwards. Plenty of great riding for us to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    been getting less saddle time in since summer showed up, as cycling takes a back seat to boating.
    Nice looking boat bbender.

mtbr member
    Woodway I thought the same thing bedwards, you had to do quite a lot of climbing when the strava profile is right. And no light in that tunnel sounds quite spooky is it so straight you can see right through?

No commute, but I rode to the kayaking club today and paddled 12km in 1h30m. The round trip was exactly the same length as a round trip commute. And all that in the blazing sun with 32C/91F. At least, while paddling I could dip my hat in the water and put it back on for some cooling. For me it beats motorboating

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    And no light in that tunnel sounds quite spooky is it so straight you can see right through?
    It's a little spooky at first, but the tunnel takes a little time to get through (2.4M/almost 4K) so you get used to it. Actually the worst part was that it was 86F/30C when I went into the tunnel but the temp in the tunnel is around 55F/13C and I was cold by the time I got to the other side!

What you see in the photo is the light of an oncoming cyclist (they are pretty far away). But you can see the other portal when you get about 200M into the tunnel and it's dark enough. It's just a tiny pinhole of light that keeps getting larger!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My commutes this week have been on the paddle board, not going anywhere. A three Mile paddle board works a whole different set of muscles!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamespc; 06-29-2020 at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Set new speed records! 44.6 mph up a slight grade with the wind behind and 64.6 on a downhill wind form the side. Then I stopped and found the sending magnet had rotated on the spoke for double readings. 22.3 and 32.3 fit with past numbers under similar conditions. Shifted into granny for a grade I should not have and spun the daylights out of it for a pulse of 158, a lot above the cardiologists suggestion. But maybe part of that was another illegal pass on the blind hill too close to the intersection. Adrenaline will do that.

CB of the East
    ^^Pretty impressive BrianMC.

Well, we finally got some rain. We have been in the driest 30 day period on record. (Or something like that) I avoided it for the start of my commute but it caught me, or maybe I caught it, a few miles before work. It was my first time riding in the rain for months. I got wet.

mtbr member
    ^^Pretty impressive BrianMC.
    +1

... I got wet.
    And?

No commutes this week but I rode to the kayaking club to do some little things and to have a goal and reason to ride. Took a lot of time on the way home to create new highlights with pictures in my outdoor app for other cyclists.

CB of the East
    And...I took the car the next day because it was pouring for most of the day. We got about 5" if rain for the whole month and ALL of it was in the last 2 days. It was drier today. Petty nice actually. Hot and muggy actually.

mtbr member
    Ok I'll try to bring back some life in this thread ....

Yes I commuted today and am planning to ride the next 3 days too.

it rained during the night so the unpaved part was quite muddy with a lot of puddles that I tried to swerve around. For the rest it was ok, quite windy already but still ok. The ride home was exciting....the weather forecast was so good that I did not bring anything waterproof. So on the ride home I made 3 stops to wait under a tree until the shower had passed.

Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be good again but needless to say that I will take the water repellant jacket and pants anyway

CB of the East
    ^^Well, good job trying.

I'm still at it every day. I felt fast yesterday. I felt slow today. That about sums it up. We have finally got some rain so I've been more on the roads since the trails might be muddy.

mtbr member
    I knew it would be difficult but at least there is one reliable factor in the equation here good job at commuting everyday bedwards. I have calculated, when I start riding now like before corona I will probably end up with about 1/3 less than usual this year, but that is already optimistic. At least I started good early this year, that will help a bit.

Today was better. It only rained the 30 minutes in which I rode home. At least I was prepared so no need to take shelter under dripping trees or crowded bus stops. And it is good to be back on the road, even when its wet.

mtbr member
    Ok I'll just talk to myself then.

So today was completely dry and less wind too. Took another route on the way home. By now the new highway is spreading on about every route I take. No matter where I cross the planned route I see excavators and they built a gravelroad in order to move equipment around. For that I also saw a bussard, a roe deer and 2 storks.

mtbr member
    I have had to ration my rides and keep my speed down to keep the heart happy. So trying to ride every other day. I am down 26 pounds from when the stents were placed, so riding is good in that regard. It has been in the 90's with 70+% humidity all week. Friday we may get a break. So the ride was before 9 AM when it was only 75 F but got to 79 F at the end and humidity was up there.

CB of the East
    Nice work on the weight loss BrianMC.
    Ok I'll just talk to myself then.
    That's been a common problem here lately. I'll talk to you, well at least till next week and then I''ll be away.

Good rides lately. Today was foggy and humid. This afternoon is supposed to be hot and humid.

Last night my wife road home ahead of the storm and left me the car. It rained 2" in under 1/2 hour just about the time I was supposed to leave.

mtbr member
    ^^brianmc, nice to hear from you and well done brianmc on the weight loss.

Thanks bedwards. Going on a well-earned vacation I guess? And that is a lot of rain, no flooded roads I hope?

Today it rained all day and I had to put on the hardshells on both rides. At around 12C I was on the edge between "hot" and "boiling" . At least it didnt stop me from riding a nice detour on the way home and I made a good average on the round trip too!

mtbr member
    I got a taste of the pavement this morning. I was taking the turn I take every morning at the bottom of a hill. A car was sitting at a stop sign to my left, and the driver started moving when I was executing my turn. I swung wider than normal and the bike slid out from under me just as I was exiting the turn. I don't really know if there was some dirt or small gravel on the pavement or what. Regardless, my left side is pretty scraped up. I have a nice wound on my left palm, another on my elbow, and road rash in between. I have more road rash on my stomach and leg. I also tore my shorts. So...eventful morning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I got a taste of the pavement this morning. ... I also tore my shorts. So...eventful morning.
    I hate that when that happens! Many of us winch and get sympathy pain from our old wounds. Boring commutes are good. Eventful ones? Not so much. Blood, sweat, and tears (as in torn shorts).

mtbr member
    Ooff sockeyeus that sounds tough. Did the driver or anyone stop and help you?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Ouch s0ckeyeus, hope you heal up soon.

And BrianMc, congrats on losing 26 pounds. That's a whole bike. Keep it up.

Dutchman, just don't talk to yourself in public. It might end badly for you.

I was on vacation last week fishing in Yellowstone National Park with my wife. It was fantastic. If you have never been to Yellowstone, it should be on your bucket list. It's a real treasure.

My pre-Covid goal for 2020 was 7000 miles. Half way through the year I am about 140 miles behind my goal. Not much commuting these days, but riding in big circles...

Stay safe everyone!

mtbr member
    Ooff sockeyeus that sounds tough. Did the driver or anyone stop and help you?
    Nope. I just got up as quickly as I could and rode off. I'm glad no one was coming up behind me. That could have been ugly.

I squeezed in a road ride over the weekend. I can't mountain bike until my palm heals up a bit. Right now, my whole arm hurts whenever I hit a bump, and the bar wants to sit right over my palm wound. I rode to work today. I'm not riding at 100% though and have to ride with a weird left hand position.

Since I couldn't ride much over the weekend, I was able to do some much needed maintenance to my commuter fleet. My singlespeed has been out of commission for a while. I bought a new chain and was getting some major skipping. It ended up being the worn rear cog causing the issue. I'm downsizing from an 18T cog to a 16T in the rear to get better chain tension. Since I swapped frames, the 18T has been a little looser than ideal, even with my chain tensioner. I either needed to get a half-link for my chain or change the rear cog so I could remove a link. 16T will be fine for my commute, but I'm a little nervous about some of the steep hills in our area. I guess I'll adjust.

I'm also retiring my old SS commuter to full-time trainer duty. I ordered a larger chainring for it and am installing an 8-speed drivetrain from the other bike I converted to SS.

mtbr member
    Hi sockeyeus I hope everything heals up soon!

I made a nice roadride yesterday and since the weather was nice I took the fast bike again today. In the end I am just 3-4 minutes faster but it is a nice change and so far we did not have a lot of days where I could be sure that I would not need fenders. I had a good and bad experience within seconds today. First someone stopped to allow me taking my left turn without braking, although she had the right of way. Seconds later, I was still happy about it, somebody pulls out of a driveway ahead of me and I had to make a quick stop and wait behind a car. I think the old guy didnt look so far ahead or didnt look at all. In my bright red t-shirt should be easy to see me, but same old story there...
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 07-14-2020 at 12:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Well I think I have the heart and cycling thing figured out: I am getting old and increasing fitness just takes more time. Max heart rate recommendations are 220 - age so 153 or 152 in October. My resting pulse rate is 55 so 152-55 =97. 70% exertion is 68 add 55 back equals 123. The 80% level above which you are not supposed to stay at long term is 133. So I should be aiming for 123-133 HR. However one of my meds lowers the heart rate, and so I should be in the 113-123 HR range most of the time.

The real max rate can be increased with exercise and tested for. Mine when I rode 100 + miles a week was 177 when by age alone should have been about 158. I just need to watch the HR meter more and take breaks when needed.

mtbr member
    I was supposed to have a dentist appointment yesterday, but they re-scheduled. That means I could ride my revamped SS to work. I should have thought to pump up the tires though. I rode in on 20 some PSI. I knew the gearing would be harder, but the ride felt more bogged down than anticipated.

Ride in today was much better.

mtbr member
    Wow brian. To be honest, that sounds quite complicated. Just take it easy and kudos that you keep on riding

Sockeyeus was the tire pressure comfy or already spongy? And how is your road rash healing up?

Nice ride today, dry with lots of sun and light winds. I made a nice detour along a bad road, partly gravel, and I had forgotten that I was hauling my laptop in my pannier. I think it survived in the soft bag and pannier.

mtbr member
    I had forgotten that I was hauling my laptop in my pannier. I think it survived in the soft bag and pannier.
    Most had solid state memory and no hard drive now. So they can take more guff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

A bit scary...

Got accosted by a gang of Canadians today.

Geese that is. Mean little buggers...they take up the whole bike path and hiss and beat their wings as you try to pass through.

Share the trail guys...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyb1708 View Post
    Got accosted by a gang of Canadians today.

Geese that is. Mean little buggers...they take up the whole bike path and hiss and beat their wings as you try to pass through.

Share the trail guys...
    Progressive Insurance hires a lady with border collies to harrass the geese in nesting time to get them to move their nests further from the pedestrian bike paths for saftey of all concerned. Works well. I have ridden those paths about this time of year when they's be defending gosslings.

mtbr member
    Two years ago someone metnioned that cycling was supposed to stave off CAD. Apparently genes trump that. Here is a story from that same time recounting a cyslist's return to his sport:

https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2332...ypass-surgery/

Things are sorting. On the return I rode at about 85% max pulse 130-131 with the wind behind me up a slight grade at 20 mph because it just felt good. The stress test showed nothing amiss so just got to remember I am not 18 or 30 or 50 any more and these sorts of increases in fitness take more time than they used to. One source suggested 50% of max heart rate is a good place to start. By the cruder calculation would be 74 which is about 20 less than my rate standing by the bike getting ready to ride, or but the other way about the pulse I have standing by the bike. Not a great help that.

It appears my actual maximum heart rate is above 150 ar this time as I hit 158 on a climb yesterday with no heart issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Progressive Insurance hires a lady with border collies to harrass the geese in nesting time to get them to move their nests further from the pedestrian bike paths for saftey of all concerned. Works well. I have ridden those paths about this time of year when they's be defending gosslings.
    Is her name Flo?

mtbr member
    Well the laptop survived apparently, I worked from home yesterday without any problems. I really like the way how you keep on going. Stay strong my friend!

Scotty here in europe the canadians have a good reputation as being friendly and patient so your post is a surprise for me

I now have 2 weeks vacation and we booked a trip starting next monday but it is still unsure whether we will go or not. The covid cases are rapidly rising again in the area so there might be another travel restriction issued over the weekend which would automatically cancel the trip. I bear about that in more countries, so it looks like we have the second wave rising. I also heard yesterday that the company is closing the week after my return and I will have that week off too. No salary but partial unemployment money. I take anything as long as I can keep my job. However it does seem like this is going to be a long crisis in my company, at least a year or longer, so I will have to live with the risk for a long time. This covid thing is getting annoying.

That said, I enjoyed my first day off. I rode with the kids to kindergarten and sportscamp, got some fresh things and rode home with a long loop. Picked up the kids later and that made already around 28k on the commuter bike. Later I brought #1 to soccer training and rode the fatbike on the trails while he was there, which brought another 15k. So as said, a really good day.

I will be posting less now but will definitely follow the thread here. Keep riding and stay safe!

mtbr member
    Survived another ride. I think I am getting a handle on this. I must not exceed 120 HR in the warm up and its best to be 105-115. I tested my blood O2 after the bigger hills and the sprint off the light. 99, 100, 96, 99% saturation. No hint of chest pain this ride. So the heart is strengthening and I am not demasnding too much of it. Slower and more careful than I have ever had to go at this. The drop in BP after the ride says I am not unfit, just that I could be more fit.

Exercise boosts the immune system, has taken me out of the obese more susceptible category, gets me a Vitamin D boost (seems to help in reducing COVID-19 symptoms), and is a great mental attitude adjustment. It just takes a bit more work to get fully fit.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Way to keep at it BrianMc! There was a time I weighed in at 245 lb/111 kg, back in my 40's. I took up exercise and got my weight down to around 210 lb/95 kg. Then I took up cycling and I worked my way down to my present weight of about 180 lb/81 kg. Saved my life for sure, because I was headed to a heart attack. Your story is inspiring, keep going.

Have a good time off Dutchman.

scottyb I used to have to ride through a flock of those things on a previous commute route. They can be downright dangerous. My strategy was to get up a head of steam and go for it. Dodging their poop on the MUP was even worse.

I took a vacation to Montana a couple weeks ago and am coming off my self-imposed 14-day quarantine, since I was in a new area where there were more people. Tomorrow I am going to commute to the office for two days in a row!

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

mtbr member
    What I learned riding:do not ride by how your legs feel. Do not "power up" any grade. Get in the Granny sooner and spin up easily. No getting out of the saddle, no sprints. Each ride Ihere's more power to ride more easily at lower heart rates.

Apparently the pattern of angina I have suggests that the heart has bypassed some partially blocked artery(ies) and that alternate route(s) kicks in with a little help from the nitro glycerin. If it was blocked badly I would not get recovery but end up taking the third nitro pill headed to ER. So the cycling is helping the heart with the rerouting, it and new meds should help with blockage, and exercise drops weight and increases immune system funciton. So its a win-win. Just can't ride like I am racing. Yet.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Excellent BrianMc!

Hot, hot, hot here in Central Washington. 96F/35.5C today, supposed to be 101F/38C on Thursday! My strategy? Get up really early and ride so I don't die.

Looks like it's just us two Brian's (I'm a Brian too!). Maybe we can get bedwards to chime and and have a 3-Brian conversation

CB of the East
    Hey, I guess I'll check in since this thread is running on fumes this summer. (Brian #3)

I've been off camping and then catching up. I had some good rides on the camping vacation. I hope to pull some pictures into my blog if I get a chance.

Hot here too. We've been into the 90s and humid for the last few days. It looks like the pattern from here is in the mid 80s for the next 10 days. I've been entertaining myself on my commutes with some mushroom forging but we're going to need a little rain to sustain that.

mtbr member
    Hi all,

wow it's been a while since this thread was so quiet....and basically I have nothing to contribute either.

I was on vacation the last 2 Weeks on Mallorca. Mallorca is mostly known for its party and club scene. I have seen several Pornhub Casting cars, so that says enough about its reputation. If you look beyond that you see an outdoor paradise. In spring, pro Teams like Sky train there to get fit for the coming season. Diving, paddling, sailing, hiking, cycling (road and MTB), wildlife watching, climbing etc etc you name, Mallorca has it. Therefore the island is also totally overrun by tourists from spring to fall. But you know, Corona etc, everything different this year. A lot of hotels were completely closed, the clubs are all closed so it was nice and quiet there this time. I had planned to do some roadriding and a few guided MTB tours early in the morning but I hurt my little finger and I have to wear a tube around it for 8 weeks to get it straight again, so I limited my activities to hotelpool, beach, snorkling and short hikes of max 1hr one way to deserted bays/beaches. Temps went up to 35-40įC (90-100F) everyday so more was impossible to make sure I would be back before it was time for siesta.

this week I am on unemployment scheme and next week I will be in homeoffŪce. But I am now going to combine other things: Shuttling the kids to school etc, and Friday I will ride to the Doc to have my finger checked and make a detour with a friend on the way back home. Today I made 10k/6m with the kids, so at least I will be on the bike every day again.

I will follow this thread and I hope that at least some posts will come

mtbr member
    Rode out on my first training route where the then new pavement was so smooth. It is beginning to crack at least on the county paved part. The part done as part of the new overpass was fine.

Found a gravel entrance to the Honda plant and looped in and out to test it. Yes way more stable than the 100-28's.

A dolt in a small pickup tried to pass me at the top of a blind hill. Fortunately he did not press it as there was a hidden oncoming car. By the time he passed me, I was down the drop and had 32 mph on the Garvin so he was also speeding. Then he is stopped at the stop sign. After my cool down laps he is across the intersection on a lawn with the hood up. Bad Karma?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've been doing a bunch of dog shuttling and rental repairs this summer. Neither of these lend themselves to bike commuting, but if this continues I'll have to get creative and make it work on a bike.

I'm up north in Michigan this week. Days of riding, paddling, hiking, and learning to skateboard with my son await.

CB of the East
    Hey, the thread has a little life in it.

BrianMc, I had a full size pickup with a boat pass me in a blind spot in a 25MPH zone where I was going 25. He gave me plenty of room but was totally in the opposite lane. There could have been another full size pickup truck with a boat coming the other way and he wouldn't have seen it until just before their front bumpers met. Some people are really really stupid.

OK, I've done my due diligence and actually updated my blog with some of my vacation rides. https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...-groading.html

Commutes have been all good. Last week I had 5 full round trips. I did take a car home last night because of the tropical storm. It really didn't start until well after I got home but the plan had already been made. Tonight the roads were pretty covered with downed branches and quite a few tree frogs that must have blown out of the trees with the branches.

NDD
    mtbr member
    My weekly commute yesterday was a good one. Usually I get about 8.5 miles in on days I commute to work, because I have to bike to the main campus to get my temp taken, bike to my office a few blocks away, bike to the plant nursery about 1.5 miles away, bike back to my office to return the key to the nursery. Yesterday I got in 22+ miles because I had to go to a doctor's appointment, too, and took the long way getting from there to the greenhouse. I'm guessing that there's not too many people that bike commute to the doctor's office, because there was no bike rack! I'm kinda stoked about it, because I haven't had a general practitioner for like 6-7 years.

Perfect riding weather, low 80's and sunny. Been nice not having the air on this week.
    dang

CB of the East
    I've biked to a doctor's appointment.

Not a lot to report from here. My commutes have mostly been short and sweet. I did some KOM chasing with mixed results. Today my legs are tired. I took the trail/mtb route in for a change. Oh, and it was actually a little chilly before the sun really got up. I'm not ready for that.

mtbr member
    I've biked to doctor's appointments and the hospital. It makes for some creative lockups. I found 1 leg of the 2 legged signs handy. The big U lock just fits. I carry my Ghetto saddlebag with backpack to load all the removable bits. It looks less desirable with that re-purposed trash can on the back. The signs are right near the entrances with lots of traffic. Though a cordless grinder and a pickup truck could make fast work of taking it.

Seem to be gaining in the strength and heart departments. A lot slower to improve than 10 years ago....

Grand Rapids, MI
    Hi all,

wow it's been a while since this thread was so quiet....and basically I have nothing to contribute either.
    same here; i dont mind working from home, but man i miss the commute.

built up a new rear wheel for the commuter, man the old one was a freakin tank. new one with the cassette, brake rotor, and tire mounted up is still lighter than the other wheel alone, ha.

>>>RAD

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I biked to the dentist once. Had to lock my bike to a tree because I could not find anything better.

I've been going to the office one day per week, and it looks like that will continue for the foreseeable future. I have been riding bunches from my house in central Washington, and as of this mornings ride I am still on pace to hit my 2020 goal of 7000 miles. Just need to keep pedaling.

I went Mountain Biking with a friend last weekend on a really rugged backcountry trail and I crashed really hard on while descending (too fast, I admit). Slammed my chest into a log so hard that initially I thought I was going to have to be carried or helicoptered out. I've never hit that hard before. But, after laying on the ground for a few minutes struggling to breath, I slowly realized that I was going to be OK and could ride out. A week later and my chest is still really sore where I hit the log (it especially hurts when I sneeze), but slowly the pain is subsiding.

Ride on, everyone!

CB of the East
    Hey, there are some live people checking in here.

Ouch on the chest Woodway! Way to leave nothing out on the trail! Don't worry, bruised or cracked ribs only hurt for about 6 months and then you'll almost forget about them.

I volunteered on the bike course at a local tri over the weekend. It was an actual race with actual people actually showing up. They did it in a time trial format so people would be spaced apart. It was good to see people doing normal things.

Commutes have been spectacular weather-wise. We could really use some rain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Woodway, make sure you're breathing deeply. I once gave myself pneumonia because I wasn't breathing deeply or coughing after I cracked my ribs.

mtbr member
    I've been commuting through this whole ordeal. Traffic was super light for a while, which was kind of nice. Still a few jerks out there. Business was absolutely insane in the 2nd quarter. My department posted better sales in that quarter alone than in some full years. I also was crazy busy being in charge of implementing our new ERP software. The first half of the year was stressful, to say the least. The good news is working for a safety equipment distributor is a pretty stable job during a pandemic.

I'm not going to log any bike commutes this week. I have off tomorrow through Friday. I have a dentist appointment today and have to leave early. I took the car yesterday and today so I can get more time in the office. Only being here 2 days and having to leave early the one day kind of makes it hard to get everything done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    I went Mountain Biking with a friend last weekend on a really rugged backcountry trail and I crashed really hard on while descending (too fast, I admit). ... A week later and my chest is still really sore where I hit the log (it especially hurts when I sneeze), but slowly the pain is subsiding.

Ride on, everyone!
    Yeah, ride on but try to stay in the saddle. Slam dancing tree trunks is not recommended. I heard that "What doesn't kill you... can make you hurt real bad." Or some such. Oh, laughing hurts too?

I was amazed that my pulse after airing the tires and getting all the lights on, was 80 down from low to mid nineties. So the whole warm up was done at 98 to 104 pulse. Climbs topped out at lower pulses too. So I assume that the new arterial paths are working better.

I am wimping out in the YMCA ride on Saturday with 16 miles. No Century in me just yet. In fact, I need my full 10% increases per ride the rest of this week to cover the ride to the registration and back and the 16 miles. Will have to dodge families.

mtbr member
    Oh woodway man that hurts just by reading it. Get well soon!

I am in homeoffice this week and I dont know if happy or not. Would love to ride but it is so hot that it is no heatwave anymore but more a tsuwarmy, that started last weekend and will last this whole week too..

CB of the East
    Good news BrianMc. I'm glad to see you can (are able to? or are allowed to?) get your pulse up higher these days. That must have been frustrating to need to keep it so low for so long. I looked at my ride from yesterday. Average HR was 143 for 30 min and Max was 173. I'm 54 so I think I exceeded my 80% a little. I was going pretty hard.

I don't have much to report except that I did a couples commute in with my wife.

mtbr member
    Good news BrianMc. I'm glad to see you can (are able to? or are allowed to?) get your pulse up higher these days.
    Actually I had to cheat with care. I was supposed to warm up in the 95-105 range and found I was at 95 just before getting on the bike, and I was hard put to stay under 115 in warm up. I am now on slow release Nitro glycerin and that has helped me comply (80 HR before riding). Hope to be off it soon as the heart arteries open up. Doc likes the cycling for heart recovery/improvement. I just can't push it like I was used to doing.

CB of the East
    Exactly! I'm in good shape, 55BPM resting but I can hit 100BPM just walking up some stairs.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Well. I got hit by a car. 4-way stop, as I'm stopping there are three cars to my right. First is pulling away. Come to a full stop as second car does so he goes since he has right of way. Then I go, as I'm going the third truck goes. I mostly turn and grey hit by his mirror. Got up immediately, threw my helmet off, and threw my glasses at my helmet while yelling "man, what the f***". So I may have broke those. Unmarked cop suv was actually right there so police report is quick, ambulance comes and I deny it. Bike wasn't rolling at first so I started walking it home, but realized only the rear rack was bent. Bent it back and rode home. Think the wheel and frame are ok.

I'm not that mad at this dude. I'm more mad at his friend who stopped and when he learned he ha hit a cyclist looked at me and said 'good'. I smiled and shook my head. I am not going to jail for punching an old man. My brother keeps telling me he thinks I should escalate this. I rode my bike home, I have a cut on my chin, road rash on my bumpus, and a stiff middle finger and we all know the world is a better place if I refrain from using that. I am not vengeful but when does it become covering my ass?

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
    dang

Up In Smoke

I'm not that mad at this dude. I'm more mad at his friend who stopped and when he learned he ha hit a cyclist looked at me and said 'good'.
    This pisses me off. Glad you and the bike escaped major injury though.

CB of the East
    I'm more mad at his friend who stopped and when he learned he ha hit a cyclist looked at me and said 'good'. I smiled and shook my head. I am not going to jail for punching an old man. My brother keeps telling me he thinks I should escalate this.
    Too bad, some old men deserve to get punched. Unfortunately a-holes will never realize that they are a-holes. It seems like you should escalate it to a point where they issue a ticket and you get your damages paid for. But it's always easier to suggest it than to actually do it. Glad you were able to walk/ride away.

Commutes have been good with no a-hole encounters.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    This pisses me off. Glad you and the bike escaped major injury though.
    Yes, glad to have left with my health, apparently, and been able to ride home. I'll never understand people like that who have such disdain for me as a law-abiding road user who affects his transportation in no meaningful way. People just need something to be mad about, I guess.

The guy who hit me seemed kinda upset about his mirror and fender, but I don't really care. Also he somehow banged his finger on his dash and it was bleeding, which seemed weird. The cop asked him "is that the other guy's blood" because I think he was confused.
    dang

mtbr member
    Oh man NDD that whole story suxx big time. I think I would at least make sure you get your damage refunded. That would not be vengeful, its just the least they can do. And the whole story doesnt sound like they deserve any empathy either. But I can imagine that you didnt go after it. After such a story you just want to leave it behind you and tend go on as soon as you can. And then later you think wtf?? Do you have any details from them or does the police at least?

I wish you a quick recovery!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Oh man NDD that whole story suxx big time. I think I would at least make sure you get your damage refunded. That would not be vengeful, its just the least they can do. And the whole story doesnt sound like they deserve any empathy either. But I can imagine that you didnt go after it. After such a story you just want to leave it behind you and tend go on as soon as you can. And then later you think wtf?? Do you have any details from them or does the police at least?

I wish you a quick recovery!
    There is a police report will probably be more stiff tomorrow! I'll check in.

dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Sorry to hear NDD. Don't be too quick to write things off, sometime injuries take time to appear and you don't want to be covering them when it was someone else's fault. Did the other driver get issued a ticket? I'd probably call my insurance guy and ask for advice on what you should do to make sure you are covered.

As far as the dude who said "good" goes, he's not even worth talking about. Karma has a way of coming around.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear NDD. Don't be too quick to write things off, sometime injuries take time to appear and you don't want to be covering them when it was someone else's fault. Did the other driver get issued a ticket? I'd probably call my insurance guy and ask for advice on what you should do to make sure you are covered.

As far as the dude who said "good" goes, he's not even worth talking about. Karma has a way of coming around.
    I don't think they gave him a ticket. I'll assess how I feel in the morning and call doc of I see the need. Didn't realize it earlier but I actually have a pretty good gash in my backside, so as I was standing and turning away from the truck I'm pretty sure that's what broke his side mirror.

dang

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear this NDD. Sounds like it was a real pain in the backside. Tomorrow may hurt a lot more.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Sorry to hear this NDD. Sounds like it was a real pain in the backside. Tomorrow may hurt a lot more.
    HA! I think today is actually somewhat better than when I went to bed last night. A little swelling, a little sore. I woke up and stretched out, which may help.
    dang

mtbr member
    Dude. NDD. That sucks. Totally not surprised though at the reactions of the people in the car. I'm glad you're OK.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Dude. NDD. That sucks. Totally not surprised though at the reactions of the people in the car. I'm glad you're OK.
    Yeah, I'm not surprised either. More surprised that my ribs hurt today more than they did before. Probably because I was working on house yesterday and fell asleep on my right side, but man did I sleep poorly last night. Counting down the time to the next dose of ibuprofen.
    dang

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Daily mountain biking

Recently I read a post written by BikeReviewsHub and I really like the idea that mountain biking is best for 1-2 hours. Now I go for mountain biking every day before going to work and on weekends I go for long rides on road bike. Both have their own kind of fun and joy.

mtbr member
    Hey NDD how are you doing? Getting better by now?

I commuted 3rd day this week today and forgot to check in here. Its too quiet, we're drifting apart honey we need to talk....

I had a close encounter with a bussard (I think) yesterday on the way home. I was riding on a dyke and suddenly the bussard flew by on my left from behind. When I saw him, he was already moving away from me, about 2 meters next to me. I never saw a bird that big so close before. I think his total wingspan was over 1 meter wide. I could see so many details on his feathers and body. He had his claws folded together and legs were up against his body, so I assume it was a flyby out of curiousity instead of an aborted attack. I turned back to the tree he came from and moved my arms a bit to scare him. I know it is usually advised to leave wildlife in peace but I wanted to make a clear statement to him that those big animals on 2 legs are big and not afraid to fight back. I hope he now will stay away from people, since that is my intention. There are people with kids riding on the dyke and after an attack they might fall down several meters, worst case is that they fall on the road at the bottom of the dyke. So when I moved on and looked back, I saw him leaving the top of the tree and flying into the small wood. So I hope he got the point. I had my camera ready this morning but I didnt see him, actually I also hope to never see him again so close. Luckily all other rides were uneventful. The weather is nice and peaceful, and yesterday there was a layer of fog out on the fields with trees sticking out of it. It feels good riding again.

Anyone else riding these days?

mtbr member
    I've been buzzed twice this week. The first time was by a car. The second time was a semi, which was a bit unnerving considering I could have probably touched it with my elbow. I ride out in the road and don't get buzzed much. I'm not sure why this happened twice this week, but I suspect it's because I commented about NDD's situation.

The weather is fantastic though. It was 59F this morning. Low humidity.

mtbr member
    The weather is great here, too. Climbing the small hills with a lower pulse rate and not so out of breath so that's progress. Got the cadence on the Garmin to work again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I've been buzzed twice this week. The first time was by a car. The second time was a semi, which was a bit unnerving considering I could have probably touched it with my elbow. I ride out in the road and don't get buzzed much. I'm not sure why this happened twice this week, but I suspect it's because I commented about NDD's situation.

The weather is fantastic though. It was 59F this morning. Low humidity.
    A friend of mine lost his dad to a semi.

Around here, I usually get buzzed by large pickups going well over there does limit. It is quite unnerving and has made me limit some of my longer, rural rides. They don't seem to care that if they miss their mark by a couple inches they will kill someone.

Moderator Moderator
    Hello commuters, good to see you again. I am back to the office Mondays and Fridays, and am psyched to be bikecommuting again. I am however, regretting having requested the biggest of 3 laptop sizes that were available, as my backpack is much heavier. On the plus side I can leave it there over the weekend, so only carry it on 2 of 4 commutes.

I did get caught in one downpour so far and got a nearly-flat at the same time. Yesterday when I stopped at the roundabout to yield to oncoming cars, the truck behind me honked and then gestured toward the sidewalk. That just slowed him down more as I just stared at him and held my ground. The sidewalk/"bikepath" crosses 2 roundabout exits before mine, and there is no way that cars are looking for bikes crossing them, so no thanks. Plus it is one of those mini roundabouts that really slows down cars, I can typically stay right on their tail.

How was your commute today?-wet.jpg

NDD that is terrible, I am glad you were not hurt worse. Both guys were dopes!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Sorry for not checking in and thanks for the support, y'all. Doing fine. Haven't been on the bike since as I'm waiting for my bruised (probably) ribs to stop hurting when I do anything more than walk. May try to ride thia coming week.

Funny thing the guy's insurance contacted me and I gave them my version of events. No idea why he filed a claim on a broken mirror and dented fender when I made it clear I wasn't going to the hospital and wanted nothing more than to be left alone. His money to waste I guess.

dang

mtbr member
    Funny thing the guy's insurance contacted me and I gave them my version of events. No idea why he filed a claim on a broken mirror and dented fender when I made it clear I wasn't going to the hospital and wanted nothing more than to be left alone. His money to waste I guess.
    Likely discovered that the mirror was $250-$500 and the dented fender and paint another $1000-3000. If he was a "safe" driver before this then his deductible may have dropped to $100 or less. So he would have eaten a grand or more. The front scrape of our fender by a hit and run was $1600 and that was only paint, no dent.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Likely discovered that the mirror was $250-$500 and the dented fender and paint another $1000-3000. If he was a "safe" driver before this then his deductible may have dropped to $100 or less. So he would have eaten a grand or more. The front scrape of our fender by a hit and run was $1600 and that was only paint, no dent.
    Considering he must've been driving a late 90's mid size ford or chevy that sounds like a lot still, haha.

dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    NDD, they contacted you to see your intentions. If you would have made noise about how much pain you are in, etc., it likely would have drawn a proactive cash offer in return for a release.

Hope you heal up soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Been a while since I checked in here, hope ya'll have been well. Had golden hour light on my commute home tonight...gotta stay until 8 tomorrow so that'll be my first dark commute in months.

Glad things weren't worse NDD. In my mind I'd kick that friend's ass but yeah, nothing to gain there. A couple weeks back I got into it with a driver and he ended up pulling off into a parking lot and looping around to re-enter the road...I didn't trust letting him pull out behind me so I pulled into the lot too half expecting a fight but apparently he just missed his turn.

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^ Thursday I may commute again. My ribs are finally starting to hurt less when doing things so maybe it'll be ok. Been having a good deal of anxiety lately and usually bike or walk in those cases because driving stresses me out but I'll have to see how I feel about it. Pretty confident in my bike crashing skills.

dang

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Darn, sorry to read you were hit, NDD! Never fun.

Commuting was great today, left extra early and the trail was nice and empty. I commute 5 days a week, almost all on an MUP. Normal times I see the same 5-7 people year round. Since covid, trail has been PACKED. Not fun. Schools are back (virtually) so things are quieting down.

I have my own office, only two other people in the whole building, so been working from my office as much as possible. At home, no matter how focused I promise I'll be...I think of something on a bike that needs fixing, or in the yard, etc. Next thing I know, my morning is gone. I prefer just to bike to my office.

Grand Rapids, MI

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by nayr497 View Post

..At home, no matter how focused I promise I'll be...I think of something on a bike that needs fixing, or in the yard, etc. Next thing I know, my morning is gone.
    relatable!!!

>>>RAD

Moderator Moderator
    I can now detour a bit to a bike path along the river for a couple miles of my commute. It is pleasant and avoids several lights. But I need to put a bell back on. There are too many couples walking super safely in their masks but totally oblivious of their surroundings. I use "MORNING!" but it gets tiresome.

mtbr member
    The weather was iffy this morning, but I found $5 on the road. That doesn't happen every day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    First ride from the new house and first ride in about a month. Legs are a little stiff, but feel really good otherwise.

mtbr member
    Mtbx I have bells on all my bikes. Its not cool but they always come in handy. I usually mount them upside down so they dont stand out too much.

Scotty, how far is your commute?

Sockeyous, 5$ is a lot! Lucky you.

I finally commuted again. It was nice and refreshing this morning, 10C with light fog over the fields and the sun was peeking out over it, simply nice. Unfortunately and as always, the pics didn't turn out so well. No wonder with my crappy phone, but still... The ride home was nice, about 20C and sunny. I made a slight detour on a few gravelroads and ended up with 1h16m of riding today.

CB of the East
    Hey! I'm still here, I guess it has been a while. I did take a mini vacation and finally pulled together some pictures of it to share.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...tate-park.html

I haven't found any cash on the road but I'll keep looking.

I'm back for about a week now still commuting every day. Yesterday was extended because I had to drop my truck off for service which gave me two 20+ mile rides to get it. And guess what, they didn't fix it. So tomorrow I get to do two 20+ mile rides again. The rides are decent but it is kind of a pain to get up at 4:30 to drive there and get back to work by 7:30. And then not get home till 7:30 at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Scotty, how far is your commute?

My commute is not too far, about 9.5 miles on paved trail one way. We only moved about a mile away from the old place, so most of it is the same as before. I really enjoy not having to ride on the road though, especially when seeing stories like NDD's.

mtbr member
    Hi bedwards, great story and pics on your blog! And with that beard you look like james hetfield, really. And consider that a compliment please

I had uneventful commutes today and made another nice ride through the woods while my son was at soccer training. Rode up a 5k gravelroad to the highest point of the state of hamburg at an elevation116m/350ft . I laid on my back on the picknicktable there to listen to the sound of the woods for 10 minutes, then went back to pick up my son and ride home. All in all I rode about 2.5hrs and approx. 43k/30m. It was a good day.

mtbr member
    Hi scotty, sounds good. I have approx. 7m each way and wouldnt mind a little more, but I am happy with it as it is now. And a paved trail sound very nice too. I can at least ride separated from traffic on most of my ride, but I have 1-2 "oh sh!t" moments a year, so your route sounds appealing. Lots of climbing on your route? Mine is basically flat, but with 40ft of climbing to get over a few dykes and out of the tunnel before work

mtbr member
    Another uneventful ride.

mtbr member
    It was so foggy yesterday morning, that my pants were wet on my knees. Other than that it was a nice ride in the sunrise. It rained on the way home, so I skipped my detour. Working from home today so no commute, but I will probably ride the fatbike this afternoon.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:43 AM.

CB of the East
    Whoa, quiet 'round here!

We are getting a few last days of summer like weather. Yesterday I had to get to work early so I was out before the sun came up for the first time this season. It was an incredibly peaceful ride though the back roads. The other rides have been nice too. I'm not really looking forward to letting summer go even though I know that means fatbiking. I don't think I have been on my fatbike in 5 months.

mtbr member
    Hi Bedwards,

yes its quiet :-/ I dont if its because no one rides to the office due to covid, or people are afraid to post here...

I am in homeoffice this week but will probably ride a few days next week.

The first signs of fall are here, I had a few rides with fog in the morning. The best of 3 foggy days are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2C8qPDNzay5pVceo6

And it shows the new reality with the construction site for the new highway right in the middle of that nice stretch of road...

Keep riding and stay safe every1!

CU, CD

mtbr member
    Still not quite dead, yet.

Me or the forum.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I rode to the office earlier this week. I'm back over to my place in central Washington State, enjoying all the smoke from the wildfires. It was bad enough yesterday that I skipped riding. The air quality improved enough today that I went for a 24 mile ride that was enjoyable, aside from the fact that it was 88F/31C on the way home.

bedwards, last week I rode a couple days to the office and had to put my headlight on!

I like foggy mornings, Dutchman. We get plenty of them in the Seattle area. Not so much in central Washington.

Glad you are still riding BrianMc!

mtbr member
    Do I see correctly, three posts from Brian in a row? Sorry to break the chain...

MC way to go!

We have a second, smaller critical mass ride every 2nd friday of the month. Scaled down to the size of the suburb I expected a few 100 participants but we were a whopping 9 in the end we did have a fun ride though and I clocked 41k/25m .

Moderator Moderator
    Checking in on our PNW and CA friends. Hope you and fam/friends are OK, stay safe! First frost here in VT this morning.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Gasp! Just choking under the worst smoke conditions ever here in the Pacific Northwest! Too smoky to ride or even leave the house for that matter. Supposed to be some relief starting tonight. It can't come fast enough.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Gasp! Just choking under the worst smoke conditions ever here in the Pacific Northwest! Too smoky to ride or even leave the house for that matter. Supposed to be some relief starting tonight. It can't come fast enough.
    Yikes, hopefully you got or will get that relief soon. My wife was sent out west for wildfire duty about 10 days ago. Last year they sent her to Alaska, and this year they sent her to CO and WY. I think things have gotten pretty cold and wrapped up around there. Nothing like what y'all have got going over there.

Haven't really been on the bike. I've had some apprehensions about it that I'll probably just need a little time to get over. Physically I should be OK. My ribs no longer hurt when doing every little thing, bruising and swelling has subsided, etc. I rode to work about 2 weeks after the incident and was just a little too on edge the whole time.
    dang

mtbr member
    Yikes woodway I hope for rain for you soon!

Climate change is going into the next level here. We have had several years of much less rain as usual and by now the trees are getting so dry that thicker branches snap off like a match stick, even without wind. I rode the fatbike yesterday and in 2hrs I found the trail blocked by a branch 3 times. And those looked healthy from the outside, with green leaves on them. I hope we will catch up on rain soon, otherwise the next autumn storms are going to be devastating, not to mention the trees around the house, yikes. If the trend continues I dont want to know how it will look like here in 10 years.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Still no relief here. The hoped for weather system petered out in the Pacific, so we continue to suffer under the worst air quality I have ever seen. The air quality maps bounce between "Very Unhealthy" and "Hazardous". Now they are saying a weather front will come through on Friday to clean the air.

The worst part is not being able to get out and ride. I live for it

NDD, understandable the way you are feeling. I've often wondered if I could just get right back in the saddle if I was hit. I'm hoping your confidence comes back soon.

Dutchman, sorry to hear about the drought in your area. Hope the fall rains arrive for you soon!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Oh, NDD, hope your wife is safe on fire duty...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey all thought would check in as well. Sorry for the long absence but the move back from Germany to Oregon is underway. I am physically in the PNW now but my bikes are somewhere near the Panama Canal as we speak. However, as Woodway mentioned there would be no riding evening I had them. Hopefully relief will come soon for all affected by the fires. Itís scary out there.

This picture was taken at 09:45 last Friday I believe notice the street lights were still on due to smoke induced darkness. The smoke layer is thinner now but more settled in and is very unhealthy.

Stay safe and get out the spiked armor we have definitely reached the post apocalyptic wasteland stage. I wanna see those Mad Max bikes out in force.

CB of the East
    That's quite a photo Jeremy. The conditions out there sound pretty dire even if you aren't near the front lines of the fire. Hopefully you get some relief on Friday. I'm pretty sure we have had the driest summer on record. If fact, the only times it has rained all summer are when I have a day off to be outside. Not complaining, nothing is on fire around here. I haven't been on the rain bike because of rain in months.

bedwards, last week I rode a couple days to the office and had to put my headlight on!
    You head to work so darn early I'm surprised you don't need it in the middle of the summer.

We haven't had a frost but it was a chilly 38F this morning.

mtbr member
    Those fires have been intense and relentless this year. If only there were some sort of science that would explain the fires, climate events, polar ice melt, etc. we've been experiencing...

I'm still rolling. Not much to report here other than a colder than expected ride in this morning. I could have used some light gloves.

CB of the East
    "I don't think science knows, actually,"

mtbr member
    Yikes jeremy! Man you guys in the PNW really take a beating at the moment. I really hope you get some relief soon.

NDD, be brave. Its worth it. And it sounds like your wife is one brave tough on too! Kudos to her and I hope she stays well and safe!

We have some nice and warm days here. Temps went up to 29C this afternoon. Its gonna be similar tomorrow. I am leaving early tomorrow and I hope for a foggy sunrise. Will take pics when it works out.

mtbr member
    Another nice ride but I held off until after lunch for it to warm up some.

Not dealing with fires or a spouse fire fighter. Keep safe everyone.

mtbr member
    We were smoky all day yesterday. The sun was shining. There weren't many clouds in the sky, but it looked cloudy all day from the smoke. We've seen Saharan dust and PNW smoke this year. We haven't been nailed by the remnants of a hurricane yet. Laura pretty much crapped out before it got here. Wildfires, dust, and hurricanes aren't what you expect in KY.

Another cool ride in this morning. Great weather.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Those fires have been intense and relentless this year. If only there were some sort of science that would explain the fires, climate events, polar ice melt, etc. we've been experiencing...
    I am not a fire expert, but I am a forest and outdoor enthusiast and I spend a lot of time in the forests here in the Pacific Northwest. I can tell you that 100 years of fire suppression in our forests has left them in very poor condition. I often ride and hike through a National Forest 20 minutes from my house and the number of standing dead trees, the amount of deadfall on the ground, the thickness of the forest, it's just not natural or healthy. When a fire does come through, these things burn hot as hell. I see a lot of headlines about Climate Change causing these big fires, and I don't doubt that climate change has a role, but my own feeling is that years and years of suppressing a natural phenomenon is the major cause. Just IMHO.

Welcome back to the PNW jeremy_burke - bummer you had to return to such brutal conditions, but hopefully by the time your bikes arrive the promised weather front will have come through and cleaned the air a bit!

mtbr member
    I am not a fire expert, but I am a forest and outdoor enthusiast and I spend a lot of time in the forests here in the Pacific Northwest. I can tell you that 100 years of fire suppression in our forests has left them in very poor condition. I often ride and hike through a National Forest 20 minutes from my house and the number of standing dead trees, the amount of deadfall on the ground, the thickness of the forest, it's just not natural or healthy. When a fire does come through, these things burn hot as hell. I see a lot of headlines about Climate Change causing these big fires, and I don't doubt that climate change has a role, but my own feeling is that years and years of suppressing a natural phenomenon is the major cause. Just IMHO.
    Yeah, adding a warmer climate to the conditions you described is not good.

mtbr member
    Well I did my get my share of fog this morning. So much that there wasnt anything to see, so in the end I did not take any pics. The ride home was nice, warm and light winds. Unfortunately it was the last day of commuting already this week :-/

I wish those who have issues with the forest fires all the best and hope you get a break soon!
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Days Ago at 07:14 AM.

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.