How was your commute today? - Page 132- Mtbr.com
Page 132 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132
Results 26,201 to 26,243 of 26243
    mtbr member
    We got a break from the monsoon and I got somewhat caught up with the house renovation and shifting things from the apartment. The few gaps of nice weather had higher demands than me riding, unfortunately. Lots more traffic than at the height of the restrictions on travel.

Need a hair cut to reduce the sweat! Heading for my 1972 Captain Morgan look. Another couple of months and I'll have enough for a pony tail. Gimme down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer.... Wife is making reservations for us in the near future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post

Jeremy are you selling the fargo because of the tiagra brifters? I remember you complained about them and that it was the reason to try the jones bar. I have those on my cx bike and they hurt on my hands too. It must be them because I have the same tape and bar as on my commuter, which has sram brakelevers on them and those feel much better. If you liked the rest of the fargo you could consider to rebuild the frame with sram gearing?

It is actually geared up with SRAM Rival 1 brifters 1x11 with an Apex 1 rear derailleur. I like the gearing a lot and I grew to love the shifting of the SRAM double tap brifters. But I cannot say this loudly enough I hate the hoods. I have tried multiple positions and different bar tape and I keep having issues with my hands hurting and going numb. The Jones H bar also didnít work for me. It doesnít help that I am comparing the Fargo to my single speed El Mariachi that fits me perfectly and I could not love more. I even tried the Jones bar on my El Mariachi and didnít like that either. I think it just has too much back sweep for me.

So I fear that maybe drops just arenít for me and since the Fargo is designed around that type of bar it just isnít the right bike for me. No big loss itís in great shape and Iím sure will make someone very happy. Especially since it will come with 2 complete wheel sets (27.5+ and 29) with rotors, a Jones bar, Jones grips, and a flat bar shifter. I could possibly be convinced to include the Cane Creek Thud-Buster Seat Post for the right price. Hope that answers your question Dutchman.

Cheers and stay safe all.

CB of the East
    ^^Still not a fan of double tap. There just isn't an option if the hanger is a little off or the cable is a little sticky. With Shimano you can give it a little extra push to get the chain to a bigger cog but not with doubletap.

Commutes have been good. What day is it anyway? I found a hat this morning.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    It was going well until I died.
    Baby, I want my face to be your quiver killer.

CB of the East
    ^^Sorry to hear you died Buster. Hope things go better in the afterlife.

The weather has continued its amazing stretch. I guess we pre-paid for it with the crappy spring we had. I've been trying to mix in more mountain biking with my commutes. My wife is working extended hours through this little COVID thing so she can't ride in to work. Well she could if she wanted to get up around 4AM and then work 11 hours but she hasn't been excited about that idea. So, I'm shuttling her car home a few times a week so she can have afternoon bike commutes for exercise. Mountain biking both ways can be a little much so it works out well.

Grand Rapids, MI
    finally got a ďcommuteĒ in yesterday. had to go to the office to get a loaner computer since mine has been having issues here at home. felt good to be on that route again. and, since the last time i rode in, theyíve added a stoplight and a crosswalk (and most notably a break in the curb to get up on the sidewalk/MUP) at a high-speed intersection on my route. so thatís a plus, will help a lot during rush hour as well as no more curb hopping for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    >>>RAD

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Still not a fan of double tap. There just isn't an option if the hanger is a little off or the cable is a little sticky. With Shimano you can give it a little extra push to get the chain to a bigger cog but not with doubletap.
    Love me some doubletap! I have an old bike with Shimano brifters on it and everytime I ride it, I re-recall that for me, doubletap is just easier and more natural.

But Jeremy, I feel your pain on the hoods. It took a bit of tweaking for me to get them comfortable. What worked for me was to move the hoods a little higher than normal on the bars and then I added some padding on the top of the bars where the bars meet the brifter to make that transition a little less "abrupt" (if that makes sense).

And bedwards, FWIW, I have no problem giving the shifter a little push when the chain is being cranky to move it to the next gear.

I'm still at my place in Central Washington, getting plenty of rides in going around in big circles. Like bedwards, I am starting to mix in a few more MTB rides in, but I broke a spoke on my rear wheel over the weekend and decided to have the whole wheel re-laced (if one spoke breaks due to what looks like fatigue, the others cannot be far behind). Supposed to get it back tomorrow and will try to get some rides in over the weekend.

CB of the East
    ^^I guess that's why they make both styles.

I broke a spoke, well actually, a spoke broke on my cross bike a few years ago. I didn't have anything to do with it. It happened on a stretch of smooth road for no apparent reason. Anyway, i replaced just the one spoke and it probably has 4000 miles on it with no other issues. Spokes can be weird.

I did another MTB commute to day. I've been shaving about 1 second off a segment I have been working on each time I do it. It is a pretty exciting, mostly downhill doubletrack with some challenging surfaces and banked corners. Fun stuff.

Last night I rode past a deer which seemed unfazed that I just rode by. I stopped, took out my camera and snapped a pic while it stood there and looked at me.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Buster may you Ride In Peace.

Again no commute this week. I am planning to go at least one day into the office next week, probably tuesday. Now that normal life is slowly returning, the coronacrisis is now reaching work. We are on partial unemployment the next 7 fridays and I hope it wont get much worse, although they expect the lowest point to be in september. Rumours are also saying that layoffs are on the way. We'll see how it works out and hope for the best...

No mtb rides either but I do get some distance in by just shuttling the kids and making small rides with them in the afternoon. Today it added up to around 80% of a round trip commute.Yesterday and today we rode in the rain too, I acted like it was a surprise that it was going to rain. We got soaked and made the best of it, but I did not explain about rules 5 and 9, I just that we can change into dry clothes at home and that being wet is nothing to worry about.

Woodway sounds really nice around your homeoffice! And for bedwards too but I am not sure i I would like such curious neighbours ^^

Please stay all safe and well and enjoy the weekend !

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the well wishes. Oddly the afterlife has internet access. Pleasantly surprised.

mtbr member
    I felt safer today now that I have an angel looking after me.

Woot woot! I commuted today. First time after 5 weeks. 15C this morning and 21C on the way home. Took the long 1.5hr way home so total riding time 2hrs today. We are also supposed to start returning to the office on a weekly alternating rythm so I think 2-3 commutes every 2nd week are going to be standard this summer.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice Dutchman!

I'll be going to the office two days a week starting next week.

sofa king awsm
    Sep 2008
    Saw a guy wearing a maga hat. Almost crashed my bike.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I felt safer today now that I have an angel looking after me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
    Saw a guy wearing a maga hat. Almost crashed my bike.
    Sorry Dutchman, apparently he went to hell, so no angel. Commuted to go get tubes yesterday, and since my touring/commuter bike had a flat I was on the single speed mtb with cruiser bars. Honestly a lot of fun, but it's geared for rocky climbs, so up or down is fine, but biking on flats pretty much sucks. Like spinning out at 14 mph. I'll probably change that, soon, as I'm hoping to get some 26" cyclocross (there's like one maybe two options) or gravel tires so I'll get a smaller freewheel at the same time. I chose a route with extra hills.
    dang

CB of the East
    ^^LOL, Hell is filled with MAGA hats and 120RPM at 14MPH gearing.

Man, it has been a week since my last post. Time Flies? I'm still commuting by bike every day and shuttling a car home for my wife a few times a week. But today I get to do a round trip and it is a beautiful day.

mtbr member
    No commute today again, but I compensated that with a 2hr fatbike ride yesterday and a 1hr gravelride on the cx bike today.

Bedwards I was wondering already. Without you this thread turns silently instantly... Good to hear that you and RR are ok.

Woodway are you back in seattle I guess? I heard some things on the news about angry people there, not on your route I hope?

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^^LOL, Hell is filled with MAGA hats and 120RPM at 14MPH gearing.
    That's probably a true statement. I was also wearing flip flops.

Today I was supposed to go to the DMV and saw online I had to make an appointment but it wouldn't let me, so I rode down there to check it out. They're booked through August. They can just put their registration fee where the sun don't shine, then. If I get pulled over I'll just tell them I tried and take the ticket. I've driven the truck only 3500 miles since getting it 18 months ago, so whatever.

Anyway, this encouraged me to ride more. Stopped at a walking/biking path at a seminary where people practice cx and had a lot of fun. All in all stretched my few miles of commuting to 22, and I'm ok with that.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Woodway are you back in seattle I guess? I heard some things on the news about angry people there, not on your route I hope?
    Back in Seattle two days a week. Over at my place in central Washington the rest of the time. The protests and CHAZ are over in downtown Seattle, and my office is east of Seattle in the suburbs. So I don't go anywhere near there.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    I've driven the truck only 3500 miles since getting it 18 months ago, so whatever.
    My truck will be 3 years old this fall and has about 7500 miles on it. It might be the most expensive $/mile vehicle on the road. I did use it to get some lumber to build a picnic table this weekend.

But this week I'll be on my bike as much as possible. We are in a stretch of beautiful weather. Although the mornings are still chilly. I switched between arm warmers and a windbreaker a few times before deciding on the windbreaker. Then I went outside with the windbreaker on and went back in for the arm warmers. Chilly to start but good once warmed up is better than good to start and sweaty at the end, I guess.

NDD
    mtbr member
    My truck will be 3 years old this fall and has about 7500 miles on it. It might be the most expensive $/mile vehicle on the road. I did use it to get some lumber to build a picnic table this weekend.

But this week I'll be on my bike as much as possible. We are in a stretch of beautiful weather. Although the mornings are still chilly. I switched between arm warmers and a windbreaker a few times before deciding on the windbreaker. Then I went outside with the windbreaker on and went back in for the arm warmers. Chilly to start but good once warmed up is better than good to start and sweaty at the end, I guess.
    Yes that's true about miles per $$$, but fortunately for me I've never bought a truck for more than $1500.

We're also having good weather. A balmy 84 F this afternoon. Unfortunately I had nowhere to go.
    dang

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Yes that's true about miles per $$$, but fortunately for me I've never bought a truck for more than $1500.
    The 1 Ton Denali that I bought new was a little more than that. But the payment is similar.

I took the hardtail in on the roads this morning so I could get to an appointment. Damn, that bike is pretty quick on the road. I wanted it for a trail ride with the girls this afternoon. ("The Girls" are in their 50s like me but everybody is a kid on the trails)

NDD
    mtbr member
    The 1 Ton Denali that I bought new was a little more than that. But the payment is similar.

I took the hardtail in on the roads this morning so I could get to an appointment. Damn, that bike is pretty quick on the road. I wanted it for a trail ride with the girls this afternoon. ("The Girls" are in their 50s like me but everybody is a kid on the trails)
    Zoinks!!! I need to go to the grocery store later, so I'm going to try a new, very bike friendly route. Trying to convince my wife we can do all grocery shopping by bike. Also found an easy way to get to the hardware store. Now I need a cargo bike to haul lumber!
    dang

Grand Rapids, MI
    dang bedwards, what do you tow?

>>>RAD

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yup, it was a good one, made me realize that I need new panniers, and also that I need to start getting groceries like this all the time. Alright I'll admit, my wife does most of the grocery shopping without me so that I can't ask her if we really need everything she picks up. I've had the panniers since 2015 only, but shortly after I got them I fell and ripped a hole in one and now the other is busting at a seam. Also my dogs tore one up, so yeah (you can see that because It's not closed all the way, as it only has one strap now). Anyway, a good grocery haul: 2 cans of black beans, 2 cans of diced tomato, 1 package of tortillas, 1 bag of tortilla chips (it's kinda my thing), 1 bag of Red Hot Riplets (a St. Louis special), a bag of apples, a bag of red onions, 12-pack of La Croix Hibiscus flavor, a bag of prunes, 3 bell peppers, a box of mushrooms, some roasted garlic hummus, a box of rigatoni, coffee filters, a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, and a pizza/flatbread thing which was dinner tonight because I was lazy. If I was shopping for two people for 7+ days I'd need to bring the dog cart, but my wife will be working out of town, so it's just me and the dogs. Hon' had to inspect the goods as I arrived.

dang

CB of the East
    ^^That was a very detailed list NDD. Right down to the flavor of the sparkling water.

Quote Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    dang bedwards, what do you tow?
    Anything I want. But mostly nothing. My last truck was a Diesel and the added $$ to go to the diesel actually increased in value over the 12 years I owned that truck so I figured I'd try it again. Mostly when it was time to get a new truck the gas ones felt lifeless after driving the diesel.

Good rides. Our friend that I rode with last night was passing my house to go collect her car at our office so I rode in with her with a few added miles. I'm really going to need to water the garden but I'm not complaining about this weather.

CB of the East
    HELLO...Hello...hello...

Kind of empty in here. Happy almost first day of summer all. Commutes were good all week. I missed 2 out of the 10 possible trips but only because I was sharing with my wife.

This weekend I'm hauling some kayaks with the truck. I hope it can handle the weight of 3 of them.

mtbr member
    Bedwards, this week you are not alone!

I rode today and planning to ride at least up to Wednesday, maybe also Thursday. It felt good on the bike, weather is very nice and warm here and I made a nice detour on the way home.

CB of the East
    That is sounding kind of normal dutchman.

I have done zero cycling since Friday morning yet this morning my legs were tired. What the heck? I guess I'll shoot for an easy ride home. I really need to log some long miles to burn off this COVID belly I'm growing.

mtbr member
    Yes we were told to start coming into the office again to get back to normal life. But today I was alone in our 18-desk office space so there was no difference to homeoffice. The only reason why I go to the office is to ride my bike

And I managed to keep my belly as is. I think the occasional kid shuttle, fatbike rides, paddling and short overnighters have done the job well enough.

Bedwards, did you not have a chance for long rides yet? And an easy ride home is good, not bad I think ^^

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I rode to work wednesday and thursday last week. I took the day off on Friday and rode from my house near Seattle to my place in Central Washington. Just under 105 miles/169 kilometers. It was a great ride, maybe 50/50 gravel/road (I even rode on the Interstate for a few miles), and I got to ride through the Snoqualmie Tunnel at the top of the pass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snoqualmie_Tunnel

https://www.strava.com/activities/3640283921

I rode my TI commuter with the Conti 700x32c GP-5000 tires. Super impressed with these tires, they handled the gravel beautifully.

Planning to ride to work two days again this week.

mtbr member
    Well today I was not alone in the office, there was one other collegue on the other end of the room....

but the commutes were good again. Another short detour on the way home. It was 11C this morning and it felt a bit chilly in the shadow, but out in the sun it was nice already. Very warm on the way home.

^^Woodway that looks like quite a ride and pretty quick average too! I dont even make that on my 22km round trip commute in the flat....~20 km/h average only. And that tunnel looks interesting too. Is it lighted? and open for cars? Looks too narrow for cars to pass each other right?

CB of the East
    Bedwards, did you not have a chance for long rides yet? And an easy ride home is good, not bad I think ^^
    I haven't wanted to give up 4-5 hours of the weekend to ride. The ride home was medium easy but I was feeling a little peppier.

Yeah woodway, that's the kind of ride I need. Cool tunnel. I'll have to put that on the list when we come out to ride with you. That ride looks like it would be a lot easier in the other direction.

I took the hard tail in through the trails this morning and plan on an afternoon trail ride with the girls.

Grand Rapids, MI

How was your commute today?

Anything I want. But mostly nothing.
    lol.. gotcha.

still working remote. took a pleasure ride last night on my commute route, and they repaved the one section of actual road i have to ride; not mad about that!

been getting less saddle time in since summer showed up, as cycling takes a back seat to boating.

>>>RAD

mtbr member
    Wow bender nice boat you have there.

Last commutes today, will work from home tomorrow and forced off on friday. Today was warm again, 17C this morning already and 27C on the way home. Made a nice detour which made for 2hrs of riding time today. I have to say, I do feel slightly sore, I notice now that I am not used to riding everyday anymore. Will try to keep up more on the weekends and on homeoffice days.

mtbr member
    Got passed by a neighbor almost at the top of a blind hill within 100 feet of the intersection at the top only 0.7 miles from home. He got stuck in the left lane but did not actually stop. No oncoming traffic. At least he did not just cut me off. It's been years since someone was that impatient. Two reckless driving charges and a stop sign all within 100 feet. Otherwise the ride was uneventful.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^Woodway that looks like quite a ride and pretty quick average too! I dont even make that on my 22km round trip commute in the flat....~20 km/h average only. And that tunnel looks interesting too. Is it lighted? and open for cars? Looks too narrow for cars to pass each other right?
    Dutchman, it's a old railroad tunnel, part of an abandoned railroad line that crosses the state of Washington. When the railroad folded in 1980, the state took over the line, removed the rails and made it into a (gravel) multi-use trail.

No lights in the tunnel, and no cars. Here is a pic I took about halfway through.

How was your commute today?-img_1675.jpg

ANd here is my bike at the east entrance.
    How was your commute today?-img_1676.jpg

Yeah woodway, that's the kind of ride I need. Cool tunnel. I'll have to put that on the list when we come out to ride with you. That ride looks like it would be a lot easier in the other direction.
    There is nothing like having a day to yourself when the only goal is to turn the pedals over at whatever pace you see fit. I've not done the ride in the other direction, but yes it would be much easier.

Come on out bedwards. Plenty of great riding for us to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    been getting less saddle time in since summer showed up, as cycling takes a back seat to boating.
    Nice looking boat bbender.

mtbr member
    Woodway I thought the same thing bedwards, you had to do quite a lot of climbing when the strava profile is right. And no light in that tunnel sounds quite spooky is it so straight you can see right through?

No commute, but I rode to the kayaking club today and paddled 12km in 1h30m. The round trip was exactly the same length as a round trip commute. And all that in the blazing sun with 32C/91F. At least, while paddling I could dip my hat in the water and put it back on for some cooling. For me it beats motorboating

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    And no light in that tunnel sounds quite spooky is it so straight you can see right through?
    It's a little spooky at first, but the tunnel takes a little time to get through (2.4M/almost 4K) so you get used to it. Actually the worst part was that it was 86F/30C when I went into the tunnel but the temp in the tunnel is around 55F/13C and I was cold by the time I got to the other side!

What you see in the photo is the light of an oncoming cyclist (they are pretty far away). But you can see the other portal when you get about 200M into the tunnel and it's dark enough. It's just a tiny pinhole of light that keeps getting larger!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My commutes this week have been on the paddle board, not going anywhere. A three Mile paddle board works a whole different set of muscles!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jamespc; 5 Days Ago at 07:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Set new speed records! 44.6 mph up a slight grade with the wind behind and 64.6 on a downhill wind form the side. Then I stopped and found the sending magnet had rotated on the spoke for double readings. 22.3 and 32.3 fit with past numbers under similar conditions. Shifted into granny for a grade I should not have and spun the daylights out of it for a pulse of 158, a lot above the cardiologists suggestion. But maybe part of that was another illegal pass on the blind hill too close to the intersection. Adrenaline will do that.

CB of the East
    ^^Pretty impressive BrianMC.

Well, we finally got some rain. We have been in the driest 30 day period on record. (Or something like that) I avoided it for the start of my commute but it caught me, or maybe I caught it, a few miles before work. It was my first time riding in the rain for months. I got wet.

mtbr member
    ^^Pretty impressive BrianMC.
    +1

... I got wet.
    And?

No commutes this week but I rode to the kayaking club to do some little things and to have a goal and reason to ride. Took a lot of time on the way home to create new highlights with pictures in my outdoor app for other cyclists.

CB of the East
    And...I took the car the next day because it was pouring for most of the day. We got about 5" if rain for the whole month and ALL of it was in the last 2 days. It was drier today. Petty nice actually. Hot and muggy actually.

Members who have read this thread: 132