How was your commute today? - Page 130- Mtbr.com
Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130
Results 25,801 to 25,821 of 25821
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Heavy rain on the ride home, very satisfied with my rain kit!

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    our big stormageddon didnít amount to much, still warranted the studded tires this morning. did get snow north of here so a few buddies and i made the 100 mile trip to chase some groomed fatbike trails over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    VILLAGE RACING

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    our big stormageddon didnít amount to much, still warranted the studded tires this morning. did get snow north of here so a few buddies and i made the 100 mile trip to chase some groomed fatbike trails over the weekend.

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. I've got a child with strep today, so I didn't even get to ride the studs to work on our ice and half inch of snow.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looks like a commute I would wish for. I took the route through the construction site again today and had to clean the mud from my bike when I got home. Fenders were totally clogged up. For the rest the rides were good, it was dry and there was little wind. On the ride home, someone on an ebike caught up from behind and told me my taillight was not working. Will try to fix it tonight or put on a blinkie tomorrow morning until I have a new one. After 5+years and 23tkm/15tm I can live with it.

Mid january and still no snow/freezing temps in sight....on the way home I was thinking about whether it makes sense to put on wintertires in winter. We'll see what feb/march have to offer.

CB of the East
    We had a crazy record setting January thaw over the weekend which included some rain that did a number on our snow pack. Most trails are still snow covered but some are barren. It was a good chance to use the non-fat bike.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

I did get out on a short road ride in shorts on Saturday when the temperature hit almost 70F. And this Friday it is supposed to be -5F.

mtbr member
    Crazy temp swings at your place bedwards.

What a day here. This morning it was windy and it rained enough to put on the raingear. The ride home was only windy, but shortly before home, without warning, my seatpost bolt snapped and my saddle tilted backwards all of a sudden. I remember just riding and suddenly hanging on the bar with my rear end on the rear rack. I stayed upright and just rolled to the next streetlight to look at the damage. Unfortunately a piece of the bolt is still in the threaded part with no chance to get it out with pliers or something.

I have to say I was lucky in the end. I didnt crash or get hurt, I was almost at home when it happened and it is not preventing me from riding tomorrow since I have the same seatpost and saddle on the fatbike that I can put in in a minute. But it will take a while until I get over the scare ...

I have this one or similar:
    https://www.amazon.de/XtasY-Patent-S.../dp/B007QS8RPY
    It has 2 bolts so that you can adjust the saddle angle very exactly. My saddle was shifted more backwards so the front bolt was under quite some stress. Will get one with an offset now so that the saddle is more forward in the clamp.

Hope you all had an uneventful commute today!

CB of the East
    ^^Yup, that sounds too eventful. Now is the chance to upgrade to that carbon seatpost you have always wanted. Or just buy a new bolt. You can probably get it out with a screw extractor.

My ride was pretty uneventful, which is good considering now icy the trails are. I took the fatbike over the skinny bike and it handles the icy ruts much more comfortably. If it only had some suspension.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow Dutchman, that could have been a disaster.

Crazy warm for January bedwards!

I've been grounded this week...snow in Seattle. Can I borrow your fatbike bedwards? To get to work I have to navigate some pretty steep hills while sharing the road with cars. There is ice everywhere and still snow in the bike and travel lanes, so I have stayed off my bike so far this week. Temps are above freezing now and it's going to be warming up, so I am hoping to get back to commuting tomorrow.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Can I borrow your fatbike bedwards? To get to work I have to navigate some pretty steep hills while sharing the road with cars.
    Certainly, but only if you come here to ride it. I saw 1 car on my entire ride home last night. Some trails were sketchy with light snow over icy ruts. The rest were great.

I have some customers coming today and some after work duties so I had to bring the truck. We've got more snow coming tomorrow so I'm not sure when I will get to ride again.

mtbr member
    Well yesterday evening I managed to get the piece of bolt out so I would be able to put a new one in. I noticed that my saddle was quite far back, so I made a detour to the big bikeshop today. They have a drawer full of more or less used seatposts and they had indeed 2 in the size I needed, which I got for less than half the normal price. Will swap them in later tonight.

It was warm here too, 12C when I left at 4pm. It was still bright outside, but I had a strong headwind of around 60kph/35mph for a big part of the ride. At some point in the open and on the muddy road, I was doing 16kph/10mph only. The whole round trip today took 10 minutes longer than the usual 90 minutes.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice solution Dutchman.

bedwards, let me get back to you on travelling to Maine to borrow your bike

Enough of the snow melted off that I was able to ride to work this morning. Temps were in the mid-30's, (2-3C ) and of course it was raining. But the commute went well and I was happy to be riding, not driving, to the office.

How was your commute today?

back at it myself today too after a couple days of dad taxi duty. came out to the garage to a flat tire, forgot to put my helmet on when i left, the quarter-mile-long wooden bridge on my route was solid sheet ice (i just took the studded tires back off), and fought a nasty headwind.. welcome back!

..I was happy to be riding, not driving, to the office.
    but, this.

VILLAGE RACING

CB of the East

mtbr member
    Woodway good to hear you can ride again. Werent you thinking about a new bike? A fatbike might do it

Bedwards those are very nice pics. Nice snow pile up on your helmet ^^

No snow in sight here yet, not even freezing temps. At least, calm weather and not too much rain. Today was quite nice, 5C and calm. I even got to see a very nice colourful sunset on the way home.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Bit of a hairy ride in this morning - ice!

It was raining on the ride home last night, temps in the upper 30's, 3-4C. Overnight it cleared out and temps dropped to freezing in cold spots. Had to get off an walk a couple of times and experienced a couple of sketchy moments when I suddenly found myself on ice at speed. Made it to work without going down but don't want to repeat that again...

mtbr member
    Woodway very good that you walked when necessary. We had a similar situation last winter and despite the conti wintercontacts I went down on the 3rd turn...

It was a beautiful day here. I made a nice sunrise pic this morning but during the best part of it I was riding away from the sun. Made my detour again and came well through the construction site. It didnt rain 2 days so there was a dry track in the mud and also it was still daylight.

Happy weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    edit #1
    double posting

edit #2:
    I had a look at my numbers for last year. I rode approx 5000 kilometers / 3100 miles. That is about 500km more than usual for which I "blame" the new cx bike and the fattie that both moved in last year. I dont get to ride them much but love it everytime when I have the chance.

Bit of a hairy ride in this morning - ice!

..I suddenly found myself on ice at speed. Made it to work without going down but don't want to repeat that again.
    my exact experience yesterday too. in the following pic i circled a wooden bridge above a wet area on my normal route that was a smooth sheet of bare ice (that as you can see i found a reroute on the ride home) :

VILLAGE RACING

CB of the East
    My commute was in a truck. We ended up with about 12" of snow from our 4" storm. We've got another storm coming in tomorrow. The good news is that there is enough to get the snowmobiles out to pack the trails again. Monday will be a new ballgame.

Have a good weekend all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

Hey all thought I would check in. I took a little time off over Christmas but Iím still here and still riding but only about 1/2 as much as I do when the weather is nicer. Actually it has less to do with the weather and more to do with the dark. Although my new Out Bound Lighting Hangover edition has really helped with that. It has been unusually warm the last few weeks so the rides have been muddy, sloppy, and kinda grey and dull. However, I like riding and look forward to the sun making and appearance during the rides again. Hope you all are well. I have very few good pictures to share as the light has been a little absent as discussed.

And one from Italy on our recent Christmas trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pretty uneventful rides for me this week, but they claim snowmageddon is on the way tonight. I'll believe it when it see it.

If it goes as predicted, it'll be a nasty storm: 5 to 8 inches of snow followed by rain followed by plummeting temperatures. Not good for anything but sitting in the house.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 138