How was your commute today? - Page 130- Mtbr.com
Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130
Results 25,801 to 25,864 of 25864
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Heavy rain on the ride home, very satisfied with my rain kit!

thought it meant Mt. Beer
    our big stormageddon didnít amount to much, still warranted the studded tires this morning. did get snow north of here so a few buddies and i made the 100 mile trip to chase some groomed fatbike trails over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    >>>RAD

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bbender785 View Post
    our big stormageddon didnít amount to much, still warranted the studded tires this morning. did get snow north of here so a few buddies and i made the 100 mile trip to chase some groomed fatbike trails over the weekend.

Sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. I've got a child with strep today, so I didn't even get to ride the studs to work on our ice and half inch of snow.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Looks like a commute I would wish for. I took the route through the construction site again today and had to clean the mud from my bike when I got home. Fenders were totally clogged up. For the rest the rides were good, it was dry and there was little wind. On the ride home, someone on an ebike caught up from behind and told me my taillight was not working. Will try to fix it tonight or put on a blinkie tomorrow morning until I have a new one. After 5+years and 23tkm/15tm I can live with it.

Mid january and still no snow/freezing temps in sight....on the way home I was thinking about whether it makes sense to put on wintertires in winter. We'll see what feb/march have to offer.

CB of the East
    We had a crazy record setting January thaw over the weekend which included some rain that did a number on our snow pack. Most trails are still snow covered but some are barren. It was a good chance to use the non-fat bike.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

I did get out on a short road ride in shorts on Saturday when the temperature hit almost 70F. And this Friday it is supposed to be -5F.

mtbr member
    Crazy temp swings at your place bedwards.

What a day here. This morning it was windy and it rained enough to put on the raingear. The ride home was only windy, but shortly before home, without warning, my seatpost bolt snapped and my saddle tilted backwards all of a sudden. I remember just riding and suddenly hanging on the bar with my rear end on the rear rack. I stayed upright and just rolled to the next streetlight to look at the damage. Unfortunately a piece of the bolt is still in the threaded part with no chance to get it out with pliers or something.

I have to say I was lucky in the end. I didnt crash or get hurt, I was almost at home when it happened and it is not preventing me from riding tomorrow since I have the same seatpost and saddle on the fatbike that I can put in in a minute. But it will take a while until I get over the scare ...

I have this one or similar:
    https://www.amazon.de/XtasY-Patent-S.../dp/B007QS8RPY
    It has 2 bolts so that you can adjust the saddle angle very exactly. My saddle was shifted more backwards so the front bolt was under quite some stress. Will get one with an offset now so that the saddle is more forward in the clamp.

Hope you all had an uneventful commute today!

CB of the East
    ^^Yup, that sounds too eventful. Now is the chance to upgrade to that carbon seatpost you have always wanted. Or just buy a new bolt. You can probably get it out with a screw extractor.

My ride was pretty uneventful, which is good considering now icy the trails are. I took the fatbike over the skinny bike and it handles the icy ruts much more comfortably. If it only had some suspension.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow Dutchman, that could have been a disaster.

Crazy warm for January bedwards!

I've been grounded this week...snow in Seattle. Can I borrow your fatbike bedwards? To get to work I have to navigate some pretty steep hills while sharing the road with cars. There is ice everywhere and still snow in the bike and travel lanes, so I have stayed off my bike so far this week. Temps are above freezing now and it's going to be warming up, so I am hoping to get back to commuting tomorrow.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Can I borrow your fatbike bedwards? To get to work I have to navigate some pretty steep hills while sharing the road with cars.
    Certainly, but only if you come here to ride it. I saw 1 car on my entire ride home last night. Some trails were sketchy with light snow over icy ruts. The rest were great.

I have some customers coming today and some after work duties so I had to bring the truck. We've got more snow coming tomorrow so I'm not sure when I will get to ride again.

mtbr member
    Well yesterday evening I managed to get the piece of bolt out so I would be able to put a new one in. I noticed that my saddle was quite far back, so I made a detour to the big bikeshop today. They have a drawer full of more or less used seatposts and they had indeed 2 in the size I needed, which I got for less than half the normal price. Will swap them in later tonight.

It was warm here too, 12C when I left at 4pm. It was still bright outside, but I had a strong headwind of around 60kph/35mph for a big part of the ride. At some point in the open and on the muddy road, I was doing 16kph/10mph only. The whole round trip today took 10 minutes longer than the usual 90 minutes.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice solution Dutchman.

bedwards, let me get back to you on travelling to Maine to borrow your bike

Enough of the snow melted off that I was able to ride to work this morning. Temps were in the mid-30's, (2-3C ) and of course it was raining. But the commute went well and I was happy to be riding, not driving, to the office.

How was your commute today?

back at it myself today too after a couple days of dad taxi duty. came out to the garage to a flat tire, forgot to put my helmet on when i left, the quarter-mile-long wooden bridge on my route was solid sheet ice (i just took the studded tires back off), and fought a nasty headwind.. welcome back!

..I was happy to be riding, not driving, to the office.
    but, this.

>>>RAD

CB of the East

mtbr member
    Woodway good to hear you can ride again. Werent you thinking about a new bike? A fatbike might do it

Bedwards those are very nice pics. Nice snow pile up on your helmet ^^

No snow in sight here yet, not even freezing temps. At least, calm weather and not too much rain. Today was quite nice, 5C and calm. I even got to see a very nice colourful sunset on the way home.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Bit of a hairy ride in this morning - ice!

It was raining on the ride home last night, temps in the upper 30's, 3-4C. Overnight it cleared out and temps dropped to freezing in cold spots. Had to get off an walk a couple of times and experienced a couple of sketchy moments when I suddenly found myself on ice at speed. Made it to work without going down but don't want to repeat that again...

mtbr member
    Woodway very good that you walked when necessary. We had a similar situation last winter and despite the conti wintercontacts I went down on the 3rd turn...

It was a beautiful day here. I made a nice sunrise pic this morning but during the best part of it I was riding away from the sun. Made my detour again and came well through the construction site. It didnt rain 2 days so there was a dry track in the mud and also it was still daylight.

Happy weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    edit #1
    double posting

edit #2:
    I had a look at my numbers for last year. I rode approx 5000 kilometers / 3100 miles. That is about 500km more than usual for which I "blame" the new cx bike and the fattie that both moved in last year. I dont get to ride them much but love it everytime when I have the chance.

Bit of a hairy ride in this morning - ice!

..I suddenly found myself on ice at speed. Made it to work without going down but don't want to repeat that again.
    my exact experience yesterday too. in the following pic i circled a wooden bridge above a wet area on my normal route that was a smooth sheet of bare ice (that as you can see i found a reroute on the ride home) :

>>>RAD

CB of the East
    My commute was in a truck. We ended up with about 12" of snow from our 4" storm. We've got another storm coming in tomorrow. The good news is that there is enough to get the snowmobiles out to pack the trails again. Monday will be a new ballgame.

Have a good weekend all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Hey all thought I would check in. I took a little time off over Christmas but Iím still here and still riding but only about 1/2 as much as I do when the weather is nicer. Actually it has less to do with the weather and more to do with the dark. Although my new Out Bound Lighting Hangover edition has really helped with that. It has been unusually warm the last few weeks so the rides have been muddy, sloppy, and kinda grey and dull. However, I like riding and look forward to the sun making and appearance during the rides again. Hope you all are well. I have very few good pictures to share as the light has been a little absent as discussed.

And one from Italy on our recent Christmas trip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Pretty uneventful rides for me this week, but they claim snowmageddon is on the way tonight. I'll believe it when it see it.

If it goes as predicted, it'll be a nasty storm: 5 to 8 inches of snow followed by rain followed by plummeting temperatures. Not good for anything but sitting in the house.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespc View Post
    If it goes as predicted, it'll be a nasty storm: 5 to 8 inches of snow followed by rain followed by plummeting temperatures. Not good for anything but sitting in the house.
    I don't want to hear about snowmageddon. I've got to travel from Maine to Detroit for work (Novi) in a few weeks and the chance of Travel changing weather in mid winter is always extremely possible.

We got 5-8" over the weekend too. The trails are pretty well packed. I didn't notice it when I left but my front tire has a slow leak and it was about 2PSI by the time I got to work. The trails were packed powder so it mostly worked other than me thinking I would have to stop and pump it up for the whole ride.

mtbr member
    James did you get the weather that was forecasted?

Bedards those leaks are the worst. You cant find and fix them that easily and you dont want to work on it long too in the snow. I guess you were on the fatbike? Is it set up tubeless?

We have the biggest high since decades I heard. Pressure is up to 1046mbar/hPa, my converter says 30,71 inHg. Consequently we have calm weather. Weather report said it should be freezing and foggy this morning but it was 5C when I left and there was no sign of freezing or fog whatsoever. Ride home was the same. Its just that daylight is mostly back on my rides, thats nice!

CB of the East
    Yes fatbike, no tubeless. I've learned through trial and failure that tubeless doesn't work with this rim/tire combination. Fatbike tires hold so much air that these slow leaks can be ignored in favor of working on them at home. I pumped it up at lunch. If it is still mostly solid before I leave I'll top it off and fix it at home.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We did get some pretty nasty weather. Surprisingly, the city did a reasonable job plowing. The ground is covered with snow and looks pretty, but it is all frozen solid.

I had today off, so I didn't ride. Tomorrow is supposed to be 6įf. Not sure if I'll ride.

mtbr member
    My fatbike has tubes too and I am not touching it until I have too and I have no clue whether the rims and tires are tubeless compatible either. Good luck for your ride home then! ^^Do you have some nice snow pics ?

CB of the East
    ^^Some people swear by tubeless fatbike. I've set up plenty of bikes tubeless with no problems. This fatbike mounts up fine and rides great until it burps out all the air and the tire falls off the rim. There is no recovery other than putting a tube in. It usually fails in the extreme cold so that is a NO.

No new pics but I put together my winter morning series.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...ration_20.html

I had today off, so I didn't ride. Tomorrow is supposed to be 6įf. Not sure if I'll ride.
    I'm riding :Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  14.4 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    ^^Some people swear by tubeless fatbike. I've set up plenty of bikes tubeless with no problems. This fatbike mounts up fine and rides great until it burps out all the air and the tire falls off the rim. There is no recovery other than putting a tube in. It usually fails in the extreme cold so that is a NO.

No new pics but I put together my winter morning series.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...ration_20.html

I'm riding :Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 32
Size:  14.4 KB
    I see, throwing down the gauntlet are you? :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm also running my fat with tubes. My rims are technically not tubeless ready, but they were running jumbo Jim's tubeless. I couldn't get the dillengers to seat, so I went with tubes. For my riding I can't tell a difference. The studs make it a little like riding on Velcro though.

CB of the East
    I see, throwing down the gauntlet are you? :-)
    Don't you know it! We got colder temps than promised. And look at that dew point. My lips are chapped just reading it. Well and just being out in it for 1-1/2 hours.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

I'm not sure why they haven't developed a solid tubeless standard for fatbikes. The Dillingers are horrid at tubeless. Mine are so loose I can drop them over the rims and they will fall off the other side. I ran the Ground Control tires tubeless over a whole summer with zero issues on the same rims. And the specilized rims are lousy for tubeless too. Straight walls, no hook at all.

The ride home last night was freshly groomed and a little soft. But oh boy -7F will freeze some things up. The trails were in great shape but things are really slow at those temps. My wheels still don't spin when it is cold and it is enough to notice.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I actually rode in today instead of walking. I've been avoiding doing most recreational riding because I somehow hurt my shoulder, I think from falling asleep in an unfortunate position, but it's been going on for over a week now. So I decided I would at least do 1.5 miles each way to work, because even though it hurts a fair bit to get in the drops, I can put my lunch in my panier bags and not have it over my shoulder.

Optimally I'll get back to doing 100+ miles a week, and I'm thinking about making commuting a part of that by figuring out a couple of routes that I'll ride religiously instead of straight to and from work, like 7 miles each way would be nice. That and I'm thinking about doing errands and grocery shopping by bike again (how far I have strayed!), but have gotten a lot of resistance from my wife on the grocery front. Not sure why she's just very against it. I think she thinks I expect her to carry the groceries, but I really don't. Like maybe a few things, but I could easily get all of our groceries in my two sets of bags. I also don't think she realizes I'll exercise a lot more if I have to do it for pragmatic and routine purposes rather than just cruising around. I swear I'm not really lazy, I just need an ulterior motive.
    dang

mtbr member
    Bedwards wow, that is really cold overthere. Good luck riding in those temps.

NDD, how about moving further away from work?

Still no sign of winter here but it wasnt nice either out today. Temps were around 4C, it was foggy and winds around 12-15 kts, which made it feel quite like winter. The good side is that it didnt rain fo a while now and the unpaved part of my route is now pretty dry and rideable.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    NDD, how about moving further away from work?
    LOL, Dutchman, I don't know if you've ever been to the US but there's a reason I'd choose to either live in the city or the middle of nowhere. In the city you have little true privacy but things are convenient. In the country you have privacy, but nothing is convenient. In the suburban areas you have neighbors in your business and nothing is really convenient. FWIW, despite my city having the highest per capita murder rate in the country for a few years running, I live and work in safe neighborhoods, and know how to get around. The fact that, if I need to, I can be at work in 6 minutes by car or 12 minutes by bike and not have to sit in start/stop traffic is invaluable to me. Going out of my way would be a small sacrifice, but I need to trick myself into believing the routine with extra miles, so I keep doing it.
    dang

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Don't you know it! We got colder temps than promised. And look at that dew point. My lips are chapped just reading it. Well and just being out in it for 1-1/2 hours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	1306609

I'm not sure why they haven't developed a solid tubeless standard for fatbikes. The Dillingers are horrid at tubeless. Mine are so loose I can drop them over the rims and they will fall off the other side. I ran the Ground Control tires tubeless over a whole summer with zero issues on the same rims. And the specilized rims are lousy for tubeless too. Straight walls, no hook at all.

The ride home last night was freshly groomed and a little soft. But oh boy -7F will freeze some things up. The trails were in great shape but things are really slow at those temps. My wheels still don't spin when it is cold and it is enough to notice.
    You won. I rode today, but was a little disappointed that the temp was 17į feels like 8į instead of actually being 8į. Wunderland got updated a while ago and kind of sucks now.

Ndd, sorry to hear about your shoulder, but it always makes me feel better to know that others get sleeping injuries too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    We have winter finally set in for us this week. Temps down to -8C. After what feels like weeks of rain many places are sheets of ice so I have been off the bike mostly. I am hoping to ride later this week. Hope you all have good safe rides today.

mtbr member
    Hi jeremy thats incredible overhere we still have +6C.

This morning had drizzle and a headwind so wasnt exactly a lovely ride but it was good rule #9 training. The way home was nice though, dry and calm, not much more to wish for in january.

CB of the East
    You won. I rode today, but was a little disappointed that the temp was 17į feels like 8į instead of actually being 8į. Wunderland got updated a while ago and kind of sucks now.
    Ndd, sorry to hear about your shoulder, but it always makes me feel better to know that others get sleeping injuries too.
    I think you won. You rode and it wasn't dangerously cold. LOL, sleeping injuries: Welcome to old age.

Today was 8F and felt much nicer. The trails were fantastic. I offered to shuttle a friends car home so she could ride the trails home with my wife.

NDD
    mtbr member

LOL! But I bet you were over 30 before it happened! Been stretching it out, feeling better.

Extended my commute to 9 miles today. That's really like a sweet spot to get you nice and focused for work. Don't know about y'all but I've probably got the adult ADD and the exercise really helps to focus for longer stretches, especially if I get any cardio.
    dang

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    LOL! But I bet you were over 30 before it happened! Been stretching it out, feeling better.

Extended my commute to 9 miles today. That's really like a sweet spot to get you nice and focused for work. Don't know about y'all but I've probably got the adult ADD and the exercise really helps to focus for longer stretches, especially if I get any cardio.
    Yup, I was over 30 before the sleep injuries started setting in. I always do better at work after riding. Definitely helps the focus.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    NDD, I'm a commute-stretcher too. My direct route is only a little over 8 mile each way. Far too short for my tastes so I like stretch stretch things out both to and from work. It's become a habit and part of my day - I don't even think about it anymore. And, if I am really in a hurry, I can just take the direct route for a quick trip.

jamespc and bedwards, you both win in my book. I think I have commuted in single digits once and it was painful. Well done both.

Rain, rain and more rain for me. Pretty much every commute for the past two weeks has been in the rain at for at least one of the directions, if not both. And there is no letup in sight. At least I can notice (through the gloom) that the days are getting longer.

The spring in my right brifter broke. I've decided to replace that side with a full hydraulic system (I've got cable actuated hydraulic now). I'm sure that will eventually force an upgrade on the other side...

CB of the East
    I'm known to take the long way too but the short option is 10 or 12 miles so over 20 miles/ day is a good base. My extended winter commutes go from 8 to a max of about 12 which at the speed of winter is plenty.

Woodway, you must have skied in single temps, it isn't much different. Road commuting at 0F is brutal with the wind. But with average speeds around 6-10MPH it isn't bad. Today was around 5F which felt pretty normal.

I took the skinny tire bike because the trails seemed really firm and I just swapped over from a 2.1" to a 2.35". Nope. I let out a bunch of pressure so it wouldn't dig through the snow. The ride was OK but it felt like my tires and the snow were velcro. I got to the driveway at work and realized that the pressure was so low that it was just that I was riding on flat tires. Yesterday's ride on the fatbuke was < 1 hour. Today's ride with identical conditions took 1:20 and felt like a lot more work.

CB of the East
    I'm back on the fatbike today. After my flat tire experience on the skinny bike I decided to try the fatty with more pressure than I usually use, all the way up to 9PSI. Handling suffered and I spun out on the steepest (20%) hill but it was fast fast fast. My hour & 20 minute ride turned into 54 minutes.

I was lubing my chain on the fatbike and decided to check it for wear. I almost didn't bother because the chain and cassette are under 1 year old and they don't get dirty. The chain is toast. So toast that I'm sure the cassette is toast too. WTF? 750 miles on a drivetrain that stays very clean seems really low even to my cassette mashing legs. Oh well, I ordered up a new chain and cassette. I'll stick this cassette on the shelf and run the whole thing into the ground the next time.

mtbr member
    Hey bedwards I am running the fatbike tires also at a pretty high pressure so far. It is pretty fast and still grippy and floating on soft sand. It is only more difficult on bumpy downhills since it doesnt soak up the bumps. In general it is ok for beachriding and easier xc trails, that we have a lot here.

Woodway you are beating everyone when it comes to riding in the rain and the rule #9 award definitely goes to you.

Well rides were good yesterday and wet today. It wasnt forecasted but it was colder than expected and additional drizzle both rides too. I didnt make my usual detour on the way home but I did vary the route on 2 parts which added about 15 minutes anyway on the way home. Planning a fattie ride tomorrow, cant wait.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey all, great ride for me today. 1C and finally the whole way in was dry. I gave my Fargo a really good cleaning this weekend and changed the shift cable out as well. I also adjusted the brifter position and added some gel pads and rewrapped the bars. Only problem was I ran out of wrap and so only the right side got done as I had to remove it to swap the cable. I tend to have worse issue with that hand going to sleep in me and today it totally didnít. So Iím hopeful once both a fully updated with gel pads and new wrap those problems will be behind me. I also swapped my seat back the the stock Fargo WTB volt to try it as I have been having issues with the Brooks saddle. But after riding one way 35km on the WTB I will switch back as soon as I get home. It was way more uncomfortable. I may be in search of a true seat swap soon. Hope you all have good safe rides today. Cheers, Jeremy

NDD
    mtbr member
    I picked up some Surly Extraterrestrial 29x2.5" tires over the weekend for my drop bar mtb. Not sure how well they mount since the wheels are 23 mm internal, I believe, but it was very easy. Good news is that there's still gobs of space in the frame, fairly certain I could fit 2.8" tires, though I think that I'd have to remove the rear rack, and a Trek 920 without racks is just silly. Either that or get a second wheelset for 27.5+.

I'll say the tires are really low rolling resistance and also beefy enough to feel ok abusing. They smooth out the worst roads and once you get them rolling it feels like you'll never stop, but at 1070 grams (2.4 lbs) a pice, these tires are downright heavy and take some effort to get rolling. The amount of cut and flat protection these offer is probably worth the weight though, especially if touring or commuting.
    dang

WTF? 750 miles on a drivetrain that stays very clean seems really low even to my cassette mashing legs.
    went through literally the same thing last week. just over 700 miles on a chain and cassette and the chain would skip with any watts put to it in the 11, 13, and 15 tooth cogs. chain measured between .75 and 1.00 on the wear gauge, so tried a new chain, which made the skipping worse as expected. admittedly the drivetrain saw some slop like fatbikes do, but i always made sure to clean up and relube after nasty rides.

new chain and cassette and all is good. did a shakedown ride on our local gravel.

back on the commuter this morning after a week off of it due to other life. felt like a month. sketchy paths with black ice, frozen footprints, even virgin crunchy, crusty snow. still beats driving.

>>>RAD

..but at 1070 grams (2.4 lbs) a pice, these tires are downright heavy and take some effort to get rolling. The amount of cut and flat protection these offer is probably worth the weight though, especially if touring or commuting.
    wow! i have a set of fat bike tires that weigh that! like you say though, given the trade offs and their intended vocation iím sure itís worth it.

>>>RAD

CB of the East
    went through literally the same thing last week. just over 700 miles on a chain and cassette and the chain would skip with any watts put to it in the 11, 13, and 15 tooth cogs. chain measured between .75 and 1.00 on the wear gauge, so tried a new chain, which made the skipping worse as expected. admittedly the drivetrain saw some slop like fatbikes do, but i always made sure to clean up and relube after nasty rides.
    My wear gauge only measures 0.5 & 0.75 but it dropped right in on the 0.75 side. It wasn't skipping yet but it was getting noisy. I'm 100% sure a new chain would have skipped on the old cassette. Both should be here soon. I'm debating a new chainring because this one will undoubtedly wear out the new bits faster. On the other hand I think I'll swap these parts back and forth until things stop working the then do a full refresh next time. In 2 years it might be time for a bike up-grade.

No bike commute for me today. The trails & lake are too soft and I feel like crap, cold. Hopefully both will be better tomorrow.

NDD
    mtbr member
    wow! i have a set of fat bike tires that weigh that! like you say though, given the trade offs and their intended vocation iím sure itís worth it.

Yeah, it's really hurting my wheelie game.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I replaced the right broken brifter this weekend and took the opportunity to deep clean my commuter. The snow that we had three weeks ago, followed by two weeks of rain really did a number on the moving bits. I have been riding though buckets and buckets of water filled with sand and grit.

First my headset started indexing and there was goo leaking out of the bottom onto the fork, so I pulled it apart to have a look and was greeted with this:

How was your commute today?-img_1208.jpg

The headset was wrecked, full of grit that I could not flush out. Thankfully, I had a spare on hand to install.

Later, I pulled the chain to clean and lube it, and when I spun the cranks all I could hear was grinding. So I pulled the bottom bracket and got this:

How was your commute today?-img_1210.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_1211.jpg

Did not even try to flush that one out, I also had a spare bottom bracket that I installed. Every other bit came off the bike was cleaned lubed and reinstalled. It all took a full day, but she is ready to ride now.

No ride for me today, but will be riding the rest of the week. Of course the forecast calls for...more rain.

..Every other bit came off the bike was cleaned lubed and reinstalled. It all took a full day, but she is ready to ride now.
    a daunting undertaking, but thereís a serious sense of accomplishment from doing this, at least for me. this kind of stuff is what i do to unwind though, so maybe iím the exception, ha.

>>>RAD

mtbr member
    Woodway I dont wanna know how your frame would look like if it wasnt titanium. Looks like it would be just as much toast as the bearings that you pulled out. How much did those last, do you have an estimation?

NDD try the schwalbe marathon unflattable tires in the same size those beat the ET by far I guess.

Bender nice pics. What brand is the black bike?

Rain this morning and I had the full hardshell rain gear on. It was quite nice actually, it was 4C and I had the layers just right so that I felt warm, dry and cosy on the way. On the ride home I beat a guy who usually overtakes me on his ebike. We arrived at the same light from different directions and I let him go first because I expected him to speed away as usual. But he crept in front of me with a terrible crunchy noise, today he was on a normal bike with spiketires mounted on it. WTF it was 8C and no freezing temps in sight the next weeks. So after creeping behind him for 5 minutes I overtook him first opportunity and after 10 minutes I could not see him behind me anymore. I hope I havent hurt his ego too much

Bender nice pics. What brand is the black bike?
    thatís my Specialized Fatboy. started as an SE model, and iíve chipped away at upgrades the last few years. iíve cut almost 5lb off the bike with the snow wheels/tires, and over 8lb with the 4Ē tires on 50mm wheels.

>>>RAD

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    thatís my Specialized Fatboy. started as an SE model, and iíve chipped away at upgrades the last few years. iíve cut almost 5lb off the bike with the snow wheels/tires, and over 8lb with the 4Ē tires on 50mm wheels.
    Nice looking bike, bbender!

a daunting undertaking, but thereís a serious sense of accomplishment from doing this, at least for me. this kind of stuff is what i do to unwind though, so maybe iím the exception, ha.
    You are not alone - I also enjoy and get a lot of satisfaction from tinkering with my bikes.

Woodway I dont wanna know how your frame would look like if it wasnt titanium. Looks like it would be just as much toast as the bearings that you pulled out. How much did those last, do you have an estimation?
    That is the beauty of a Ti frame...it's pretty much impervious to all the crud on to road. I don't closely track parts replacements on my bike, but I'll guess I got about 12,000 miles/19km out of the headset and about half of that from the bottom bracket. I can usually get more but this winter has been really bad from a road grime perspective.

Here is a beauty shot of my commuter after the clean-up and re-assembly:

How was your commute today?-img_1212.jpg

Here is a beauty shot of my commuter after the clean-up and re-assembly:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1212.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	1308049
    that thing is sweeeet.

my hollering-out-the-window buddy and i crossed paths again this morning on the road. saw him go a ways down the road after he passed by (oncoming), turn around, and as he came up behind me (still a few hundred feet away) turned into another random driveway for a second... then backed out and followed again. by this time i was up on the raised multi-use path, and i saw him coming, so i stopped and waited for him. he just sped by quietly. i really donít know what this dudeís thought process is, lmao.

>>>RAD

CB of the East
    that thing is sweeeet.
    Be careful or he will talk you into buying one. Or maybe I'm the one that will talk you into buying one.
    How was your commute today?-titan.jpg

my hollering-out-the-window buddy and i crossed paths again this morning on the road. saw him go a ways down the road after he passed by (oncoming), turn around, and as he came up behind me (still a few hundred feet away) turned into another random driveway for a second... then backed out and followed again. by this time i was up on the raised multi-use path, and i saw him coming, so i stopped and waited for him. he just sped by quietly. i really donít know what this dudeís thought process is, lmao.
    I'm pretty sure people like that don't have a thought process.

We got a lot of rain and warm weather over the weekend but most of the snow on the trails survived just fine. The lake had an annoying layer of water under a top layer of ice. One more good cold night should fix that.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Be careful or he will talk you into buying one. Or maybe I'm the one that will talk you into buying one.
    Every time I see a pic of your habenaro, bedwards, I remember how much I dig those fenders you put on. I just need to get off my duff and order some!

Well, my bike did not stay clean for long, more rain this morning. I just read that Seattle is expected to tie the record for the number of rainy day in January - 28. The normal is about 15...

CB of the East
    They are not expensive. 1 year in and they still look new dispite me trying to crumple them with a stick in the woods. I have since updated them with breakaway mounts in the front.

I'll make it easy on you. This was the cheapest place around when I bought them.
    https://www.benscycle.com/handsome-c...er_433/product

NDD
    mtbr member
    I've been progressively adding more weight to my bike for kicks. I put the book equivalent of one and a half encyclopedias in some bags for the front today. I'll say I added that to hold me down on the surprise wintery mix I wasn't expecting today.

But that made me wonder, how often do you northerners get a wintery mix and is that what you call sleet, rain, snow, and/or ice at the same time? Or is your wintery mix wet and powdery snow falling together?
    dang

..But that made me wonder, how often do you northerners get a wintery mix and is that what you call sleet, rain, snow, and/or ice at the same time? Or is your wintery mix wet and powdery snow falling together?
    yes. lol.

all the above, in any combination at any given time, at least here in west michigan. itís been a mild winter, so weíve seen a lot of what you describe.

>>>RAD

CB of the East
    I've been progressively adding more weight to my bike for kicks. I put the book equivalent of one and a half encyclopedias in some bags for the front today. I'll say I added that to hold me down on the surprise wintery mix I wasn't expecting today.

But that made me wonder, how often do you northerners get a wintery mix and is that what you call sleet, rain, snow, and/or ice at the same time? Or is your wintery mix wet and powdery snow falling together?
    You have a funny way of getting your kicks. That seems like a lot of trouble when you could just buy a Surly.

Wintery Mix = They don't know exactly what is going to happen. Usually the former in your example, maybe with some graupel "for kicks". Powdery and wet snow almost never fall together.

NDD
    mtbr member
    You have a funny way of getting your kicks. That seems like a lot of trouble when you could just buy a Surly.
    LOLZ I was pretty darn close to buying an Ogre it a Big Dummy in recent history. I decided to drop a cash bomb on my student loans instead of having a heavy bike I load with heavy things. Although without bags, I'm fairly certain the Trek 920 comes in at 28 lbs stock. For an aluminum bike, that's hefty!

I'm glad y'all get the full winter experience, I feel like our main winter precipitation is sleet, but we've mostly been getting rain this year.
    dang

mtbr member
    Objection ndd. Overhere we have had only rain so far. I had 2 mornings on which temps were just below freezing and just in this moment some sleet is falling, which is expected to turn into rain soon. So far no serious freezing or snow whatsoever. The 2week forecast doesnt show anything wintery either. It looks like this is going to be the mildest winter I have experienced and for sure the mildest since I started riding in 2013.

By now I am also thinking of getting a habanero ti bike, although I have no complains about my 3 bikes with simple aluminium frames. Its just that I like the sleek and the very unremarkable look of it.

Rain on both rides today, and a nasty headwind on the way home too. Good times

CB of the East
    It looks like this is going to be the mildest winter I have experienced and for sure the mildest since I started riding in 2013.
    Well Duh, you bough a fatbike this year. That will change global weather patterns more than your carbon footprint.

By now I am also thinking of getting a habanero ti bike, although I have no complains about my 3 bikes with simple aluminium frames. Its just that I like the sleek and the very unremarkable look of it.
    Stealthy! I put 2200 miles on it in the first year and have no regrets about buying it at all.

Members who have read this thread: 141