How was your commute today? - Page 129- Mtbr.com
Page 129 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129
Results 25,601 to 25,667 of 25667
    Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    How about giving your clothes a good DWR treatment?
    Well, my clothes get washed quite often, and I don't think the treatment will last long. I do treat my jacket and shoe covers with tekwash/nikwax every few months.

A real soaker of a ride this morning. My jacket did a great job of keeping my core dry. My shoe covers did a resonable job, my shoes were a little damp, but not bad. Stuffed some newspaper in them and they will be good to go for the ride home. My gloves are soaked through, but I have a dry pair for the ride home.

Safe rides and good weekend to all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It was just lovely riding today. Its hard starting and ending in the dark. But it was very pretty today.

CB of the East
    I'm confirming the "F" rating for the road clearing. On my normal main road commute home I usually have a 4 foot shoulder to stay out of the way of cars. Last night it was periodically but often covered in lots of bumpy ice and totally unrideable. I had to get out in the middle of the lane of a major road with a 50MPH speed limit, in the dark, no less. I was not a fan. I'm sure the traffic wasn't either. I'm hoping it melts today. If not I'll take a slightly longer route on some side roads.

This morning's commute was decent. I took the back way. There is no paved shoulder so I am always in the lane and the road is less busy. But it is still busy enough and fast enough that I don't like doing it in the dark.

Enough about me, how was YOUR commute today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I'm confirming the "F" rating for the road clearing. On my normal main road commute home I usually have a 4 foot shoulder to stay out of the way of cars. Last night it was periodically but often covered in lots of bumpy ice and totally unrideable. I had to get out in the middle of the lane of a major road with a 50MPH speed limit, in the dark, no less.
    That sucks!

Cold, dry and sunny this morning. Pretty nice actually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Got called in for an irregular shift today. Got changed and left my cycling kit at the nearby YMCA as I've been doing the past couple weeks at my new job.

Turns out the YMCA closes before I got off work. Had to ride home in my work clothes with no helmet or gloves! I honestly don't know why I brought my bike lights with me to work but I'm glad I did. Good thing it was fairly warm today.

CB of the East
    That sucks!

I skipped today. The forecast calls for 32F and rain with 20-30MPH winds. No thanks. We did wake up early and get a little token ice skating in on a small pond. Most everything is still water but we found these ponds on a fatbike ride over the weekend. Skating in mid November is pretty rare.

mtbr member
    I can understand that bedwards. At least you can go iceskating every year, overhere we seldomly have enough frost to have the ice become thick enough :-/

Rides were uneventful today, some light rain on the way home but nothing I couldnt handle.

mtbr member
    Need to ride Wednesday. Life got in the way today. Have to figure out the layers again.

Moderator Moderator
    Lucked out over here Monday and did not get the winds Bedwards did a few hours east, but a bit colder at 21F to start. Rode the gravel bike with the fuzzy winter Continentals, and the roads were OK for those - some ice but a bit more of the shoulders were reclaimed. Weather forecasters said freezing rain by the time I leave work, but they kept pushing it back and it didn't happen. I guess it happening today instead, 1-3" of snow after 1/10" ice. If I do ride it will be on the studded tire bike today. I went by a lake last Monday (Veterans Day) and it was 100% open; by Sunday it was 100% iced over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I ordered a set of Dillinger 5, studded fat bike tires. I decided studs were a good idea to get me through the winter and decided the fat bike was the best choice. I might even get a chance to ride some groomed trails on it this year.

That said, I hope I'm happy with these, because they are dang expressive! I have paid less for 4 car tires.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Saw your skating on Strava, bedwards...even on the satellite view those don't look like ponds!

Stay safe MTBX!

jamespc, I am always amazed at the prices for bike tires compared to car tires. But then I guess volume makes all the difference.

No snow or ice here, just heavy, heavy rain, last night and this morning.

CB of the East
    ^^ Not on Strava's satellite images anyway. They are probably seasonal. But I assure you they are ponds. This was the smallest of 3 we got on.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespc View Post
    I ordered a set of Dillinger 5, studded fat bike tires. I decided studs were a good idea to get me through the winter and decided the fat bike was the best choice. I might even get a chance to ride some groomed trails on it this year.

That said, I hope I'm happy with these, because they are dang expressive! I have paid less for 4 car tires.
    No doubt. I think I paid less for a set of four 10 ply / E load rated / studded snow tires for my 1 ton pickup. You should be happy with them.

There was still some freezing rain around this morning so I threw the bike in the car and carpooled in. I'm really hoping the temps are as warm as they say tonight because I am studdless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Today was my first day with sub-50F temperature: 48F (8.8C). While not as extreme as some of you guys are experience, it's still pretty chilly on an eBike doing 28 mph...windchill is chilly! I've been collecting cool/cold weather gear since June:

Darn Tough Merino Wool socks - $20
    High Visibility Leg Warmers - $40
    Thermal "Knicker" Bibs - $70 (got them off eBay...NWT...org $160)
    Under Armor ColdGear Base layer - $40 (Originally $100)
    Merrino Wool long sleeve crew - $90
    Columbia windbreaker jacket - $30
    GoreWear Windstopper gloves - $18 (clearance down from $60)

Making my first "cool" commute with zero comfort issues - Priceless

I do have a new appreciation for "Goretex" / membrane-esque jackets. I will be buying a new jacket on Black Friday; I have my eye on a "Showerspass" Transit jacket.

What's really odd about today is taht the ride home will be 72F(22.2). That's why I wore the "Knickers" and not the Thermal Pants. Too hot for that on the ride home.

CB of the East
    ^^LOL, I wear less when it is 35F including shorts if it is dry. That's not a dig but it is interesting to see what people acclimatize too.

Rides all the bikes!
    Rabbit darted across my path, hit my front wheels, and almost took me down. Bastard. That's twice in about a month a rabbit has nearly taken me out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    ^^LOL, I wear less when it is 35F including shorts if it is dry. That's not a dig but it is interesting to see what people acclimatize too.
    It'll be 72 on the ride home. I think if I had a better jacket, I could have done it without the merino crew. The wind was whipping pretty good.

mtbr member
    I've left the front studded tire on as there is still a quarter mile of discontinuous icy chop in the woods on the rail trail. They other 95% of the ride it's just grinding away on bare pavement driving me nuts

I think tomorrow I'll go all-rubber and just go slow in the woods.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Mtbx if you have the wintercontact II like me be careful. On blank ice they reach their limits. I went down on ice last year with those. For the rest I am quite happy with m and I bought a second pair a few months ago which I am riding now. 100 definitely the most I ever spent for biketires but they are worth it and they last long too so it pays off in the end anyway.

Jelako looks like you and me like the same clothing, I am also already dressed up pretty warm. I see people still riding in shorts too and I always wonder how they do it. For a rainjacket, ask woodway. It seems he has most rain of all of us here, so I think he will know what works.

Light rain again this morning but I was allright. Ride home was nice. Dry, calm and with a nice sunset. I made a detour that was 5 minutes longer but other scenery for half of the ride.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Jelako, go with the ShowersPass jacket. So expensive but so worth it. I've go three:

- An Elite 2.1 that I wear when it gets below freezing (which is not often around here).
    - A Double Century that I rode in nearly every spring/fall/winter day for about 8 years - I finally wore the lining off of that jacket. To put that in perspective, I wore that jacket for probably 40,000 miles of riding before it wore out...
    - And my current "daily" jacket a Spring Classic which is an amazing jacket. When I wore out my Double Century, I sent a photo to the Showers Pass guys and they were so impressed that they gave me a nice discount on the Spring Classic and I love that jacket.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    My 10 mile ride to work today was very nice! Was cool and overcast and dry...great for riding! It started raining while at work and continued until I got off, so I bummed a ride from a friend. I feel kind of guilty that I didn't ride home in the rain...but not very guilty. There were wrecks everywhere. It rains so infrequently in Phoenix that people think it is the end of the world and they lose their freakin minds!

Moderator Moderator
    I had to laugh at myself yesterday. It was 28-33 F with a mix of freezing rain and rain, a nice ice coating on my deck and car. After walking the dog and putting my summer car tires in the shed, my gloves were sopping. So I say self, grab some other gloves for riding from the park-n-pedal. I drive down the hill and about 10 minutes out I realize I did not grab any gloves...this is not going to be a fun ride...then it dawns on me that there might be a bigger problem, and I turn around and see that there is no bike in the back of my car! Too late to turn around, I kept driving and got to work early in all my bike gear. The studded tire bike bike was safe and cozy back on my repair stand. I missed a pretty miserable ride, tons of big cold puddles.

Dutchman, thanks for the warning on the tires, I try to ride those only on the "nice" days, but conditions can be unpredictable. One thing that helps the traction somewhat on my route is all the dirt from sanding that gets kicked up by cars and lands on the fresh ice on the edge. Not great to breathe, but adds a little grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    That sounds like something I'd do.

It dried up enough here that I'm switching back to my 29er today. I'm looking forward to a little less umph to get to work.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 8s View Post
    My 10 mile ride to work today was very nice! Was cool and overcast and dry...great for riding! It started raining while at work and continued until I got off, so I bummed a ride from a friend. I feel kind of guilty that I didn't ride home in the rain...but not very guilty. There were wrecks everywhere. It rains so infrequently in Phoenix that people think it is the end of the world and they lose their freakin minds!
    Lose the guilt! I carpooled 3 out of 4 legs of my commute so far this week. The rain was supposed to stop last night so I rode...in the rain. Speaking of sand on the shoulders, my mouth was full of grit by the end of the ride. I had an un-fendered bike and it was messy. I was covered in spin-drift from head to toe and had to stand by the washing machine and change so it wouldn't flake off all over the house.

Oh, and I also tried out my new commuter brain bucket. I had cracked my old one in the OTB/stick in the fender incident. I got a Bontrager Solstice MIPS helmet. I like it. It was cheap (Under $50) and it fits better than my old Bell ever did right out of the box. The Niterider helmet mount worked with the vents and I was able to zip-tie a tail light to the back.How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    MTBX, some days are just not for commuting.

Crazy 8s, I went to college at Arizona State and I remember those rare rainy days. Don't blame you for not riding!

Nice looking helmet bedwards. I'll have to check the brand out...I need a new helmet too.

Rode the long way home last night. It was a nice evening and I just felt like riding. My legs are a little tired today as a result, but it's another nice day, so I may feel the urge to extend my commute again tonight.

mtbr member
    Mtbx apparently it was one of those days... I once noticed in the morning that I had a flat and I was kinda in a hurry. So I ran to the bus and rode on the bus to work in bikegear and with my pannier, changed just as I normally do at work. As you see, it can happen to everyone and for the tires, they seem good to ride straight over frozen puddles but I slipped immediately that one time I made a turn on one. I think except spikes nothing would have done it there and no matter how good they are, they aint got spikes.

It looks like the trend is going towards new helmets. Actually I am looking for one too, but I think I will just take the same model in neon yellow instead of black. Bedwards, your new helmet looks good too though, very tempting.

Foggy today. Couldnt wear my glasses and drizzle on the way home too, but I made a slightly longer route nevertheless.

mtbr member
    I was tight on time so did not ride to and from the Y. Coming out of the Y I entered the left turn lane. We had the whole cascade of lights to wait through, then came the twin Green Left Turn arrows. The motorist ahead sat there. I waited 5 seconds and tapped the horn lightly. Nada. so in three more seconds I tapped the horn not so lightly. Nada. in three more seconds, I laid on the horn for 15 seconds before she entered the intersection then she all but stopped when the arrows went yellow. She then hung in the left lane of the divided road where you are to stay right unless passing or turning left at the next intersection at 10 mph under the speed limit. So I passed on the right (legal here), and then in a mile got into the left lane and all lights were red and she completely blew a long standing red light! Glad I was not near here on a bike! Wished I'd gotten her plate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Wow, BrianMc, that is terrifying! These are the drivers I have nightmares about. It used to be they were quite old, I was nearly mowed down on my tandem by the little old lady coming out of church, or intoxicated. More and more, phones, smart phones are the cause.

mtbr member
    Wow brian sounds bad. We can be as careful as we can be, but you cant fix stupid. Glad you came out unharmed with your car.

Another foggy and grey day here. Some rain on the way home. At least tomorrow it will be dry, and maybe saturdaymorning even some sun. I'll take it

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Sorry to hear Brian!

Foggy here too, but now it's burned off and it's a beautiful sunny day. Was cold (near freezing) on the ride in, should warm up to close to 50F/10C for the ride home and I may need to take the long way home again.

CB of the East
    Woodway, I'd say this helmet is the best fitting helmet I have had in this price range. I've probably had 6-8 helmets in my life and this one is nice. They have $300 helmets on the same Bontrager site but I can't figure out how they could be better.

You know, it wouldn't have been so bad that I got the flat on the way home if I hadn't been in the middle of the thought that I should change the tires to gatorskins and tubes with sealant in them. But screw it, I fixed the flat and got going again. Only to have a second flat 1/4 mile down the road. I think it was a new flat and not a re-flat from the same debris because the hole was much bigger and the casing was nicked. But I can't say for sure because it was dark and my hands were numb.

I swapped the back out for a gatorskin last night and will do the front tonight or over the weekend. That tire/rim combination is perhaps the tightest fit I have ever seen.

No flats this morning.

mtbr member
    Bedwards good to hear that you like the new helmet. Sorry for your flats, where was this thread saying that everything happens twice?

Rides were good today. Grey and dull, but dry and light winds. Had the chance to leave work at 1pm and took the chance to go on a short overnighter. Packed up the fatty, rode it on a gravelroad along the river for 1hr37m and I am now in my tent at 9.30pm. It was a boring ride overhere, pitchblack and only the lightbeam ahead of me. Should have taken earbuds...never thought of it before. Will get visitors for brunch tomorrow and plan to head home around noon. Total riding time today almost 3 hrs.

Wish you all a nice weekend!

CB of the East
    I'm pretty sure they happen in 3s. Now I just have to wait for the third.

No flat today, FAT today. I got to ride in the woods with my friends.

mtbr member
    Hey to me the honour to open the new week?

Nice friend bedwards. I saw some roe deers on the way home of my fattie overnighter saturday, but not today. Grey and foggy today, at least I rode into the daylight on the way in. On the way home it was dark and foggy and I always wonder how still everything becomes. Almost hit a pedestrian, he was walking in dark clothes in the dark on an unlit path under trees. Didnt see him until he flew by in my lightbeam.

CB of the East
    The honor is all yours! Good job on not hitting the ninja pedestrian.

Not too much to report. The roads were a little shiny with black ice in spots. It rained all day yesterday and half the night. I was ready to take the studded bike but things had dried enough that I could do it on my road bike.

3 day week for me, woo hoo!

Moderator Moderator
    Yikes dutchman, glad there was no crash with the ped!

We got 3-4" of mix and snow Sunday, but the temp was forecast to be around or over freezing, so I managed fine on the gravel bike with the winter Contis; some slush and a little ice, but the worst of it was avoidable. Messy though. About ready to go home, 32F but I export more melted off the road shoulders today.

I am off Thursday and Friday also! Two wild turkeys in the yard Saturday, enjoying the fallen birdseed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I rode in today for the first time in a week. It was foggy grey and slow. It is hard to ride fast when you cant see well. I did get to ride in with my new Kitsbow jacket that came over with friends from the US. I need to adjust my layers with the new jacket, I sweated through my wool layers under. But that is a good problem to have. Also no wind rash on my stomach and chest so it did the job I bought it for. No pictures of the ride but here is one of a sunset I saw walking the dog Sunday.

mtbr member
    A little excitement on the way home. My wife suggested I take the long way home yesterday, since it's been so soggy out and we finally had a nice day. Of course, I took her up on that offer.

I was pedaling along on a nice "country" road when some older dude pulls along side of me and yells a bunch of crap out his window. He continued to yell and flip me the bird as he pulled back into the lane in front of me. For better or worse, I gave him the double middle finger and yelled back like what the heck, dude. The dude then swerved into a driveway and stopped to wait for me. I wasn't really in the mood to escalate the situation any more, so I moved out of reach of his door and passed him. After calling me a pu$$y for not stopping, he continued to berate me until he passed me again, flipped me the bird, and drove out of site. What a douche.
    Last edited by s0ckeyeus; 1 Week Ago at 01:05 PM. Reason: Mtbr censored my post

CB of the East
    I like your story S0ckeyeus. If he happens to turn up dead in a few days I'm sure it won't come back to you because somebody that douchey must have plenty of enemies. I love it when they pull over and yell "You want to start something!!". "Well, no sir, not really. You are obviously an enormous ass and I don't think anything good would come of it. "

I swear it takes 20% more effort when it gets cold. It seemed like I had to keep the power to the bike on the way home last night just to keep it rolling. I ended up with a 18.4MPH ride but that effort in the summer would have been over 20.

So I took to the trails this morning. There are so many other reasons I am slower on trails that the difference in temperature and clothing doesn't matter as much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I swear it takes 20% more effort when it gets cold. It seemed like I had to keep the power to the bike on the way home last night just to keep it rolling. I ended up with a 18.4MPH ride but that effort in the summer would have been over 20.
    This is 100% correct. I had the exact same experience today. But I rode my bike and that is worth something.

mtbr member
    I agree too, I have the same average as bedwards at the moment and in summer it is usually 21.x , but in kph with the cx bike on fast tires it is usually just 2kph more...

As usual, grey and dull here. On the way home there was a terrible oil/gasoline smell from the harbour. I know it happens sometimes when the wind is from the east, but today was really bad. Luckily I was through in 5 minutes so it was apparently a small blast from somewhere. And again I almost hit a pedestrian. I noticed two people in front of me with hi-viz vests on and wanted to overtake them.suddenly another one came into my lightbeam, wearing black only. I gently told them I saw only 2 and that it would be better if each one would wear a hiviz vest. They cost next to nothing and add so much.

CB of the East
    You need a "cow catcher" on that bike. Either that or better lights. Niterider has their micro series up to 850 lumens. Higher than the original larger version that was only 600. $52 for a headlight and a taillight.

mtbr member
    Almost hit a pedestrian, he was walking in dark clothes in the dark on an unlit path under trees. Didnt see him until he flew by in my lightbeam.
    I get guys doing this who then make a show of covering there eyes and cursing at how bright my headlight is. I guess I'm supposed to watch out for them with....night vision goggles?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Cow catcher haha I like that idea actually I just would need to turn the front light upwards a little. It is a 80lux light that has a very sharp beam cut off to avoid other being blinded by the light. But I could take a second light that I turn on only when I need it....and when it is a battery light with a quickmount I could use it on my other bikes too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just a little sloppy out today.

Have a great weekend all. And happy thanksgiving to my American brothers. No holiday for me this year Germany doesnt celebrate that one.

mtbr member
    I thought already that there was a holiday or something, since it was so quiet here.

So I rode yesterday and today, grey, windy and frequent drizzle. Yesterday morning I encountered a lady who was nordic walking with hiking poles and she had a headlamp on. So I did see her early enough and was able to slow down and to move out of te way. I greeted her but when I passed her I recognized it was the grumpy lady that never looks or greet, and I simply let her be on her own. I still like her for having the headlamp.

Jerem, that is quite like the way my bike looks too, but I have fenders

I wish everyone a nice long weekend, happy thanksgiving and goodluck with black friday bargain hunting

Question for next week: who got what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It was chilly this morning when I left -2C unfortunately not cold enough yet for long enough to dry up the mud. So my freshly cleaned bike is caked in mud again. Plus I need to figure out how to replace the shift cable on my SRAM Brifters. Oh and by the way this weekend I switched back to the drop bars on the Fargo. I just could never get comfortable with the Jones bars. I put those and the new SLX brakes on my single speed el mariachi. Someday down the road I may switch to a GRX system on the Fargo because Im really not a fan of the SRAM shifters, brakes, or hoods. So pretty much the whole thing.

mtbr member
    An ugly one. Two inches of snow over 3/4 inch of granular ice pellets from yesterday.

A slog made more difficult by ham-fisted city road salting-without-plowing, and a freehub that didn't want to engage... a problem that seems totally unrelated to the weather.

mtbr member
    I'm looking to get a solid week of bike commuting in. I don't know that I had a full week all November. It's possible I drove to work more in November than the rest of the year combined. I'm hoping to correct that for December, even though I'll miss a good chunk of it due to vacation time.

CB of the East
    ^^I'm wondering when my next bike commute will be. It was supposed to snow a lot today but it didn't really snow at all...could have rode fine. But now it is supposed to snow a lot tomorrow. Wednesday probably.

Yesterday was new bike day for RollingRunner. I got her a Scott Genius 920 "for Christmas". I wanted to get something to put under the tree but decided it would be better to get her input on the selection. Now she has a nicer mountain bike than me.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Zoinks. That bike is like ten Christmases! Hope y'all have fun shredding with it.

No commute today. First day it hasn't rained in four days so I should've taken, but it's dark when I leave work now and walking draws out my commute. Of course I could always just take a longer route in...
    dang

CB of the East
    LOL, go big or go home. We don't waste time with all the little presents under the tree. I will say that I layered up a bunch of deals on a 2019 model and got it for about 1/2 retail which just made it an expensive bike and not a really expensive bike.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Well done Bedwards! About 3" of snow when I left this morning. Trouble getting out the door this morning with shoveling, feeding the birds (now that the bears are gone), snowshoeing with the dog, snowy roads etc. So I drove further and had a 4.3 mile bikecommute. Still a little late because the half of the new bike path was unplowed and icy underneath. Inexplicably, the second half was all plowed. Now if I can only remember on my ride home that I parked closer, not in my usual park-n-pedal.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Hard to see the new bike in the pic your posted, bedwards, but it appears that RollingRunner is already enjoying the gift. Well done!

I took last week off, both from work and from riding. A much needed break and I feel really refreshed today. Managed to get a couple of good hikes in, otherwise friends, family and food.

Also, since it's now December, having a look at my yearly goal. I'm at 5539 miles as of this morning. Need to keep at it the rest of the month to make sure I hit my 6000 mile goal for the year.

Easy commute today, dry, mid 40's. Rain later this week.

mtbr member
    Whoa bedwards that is a nice present for sure! A pic with the bike in the foreground would have been nice too you know

Jeremy maybe the broomstick bar wasnt comfy because the fargo is made for dropbars? Do you know that those shimano brifters also have a movable brake lever to shift? On my tiagra ones I have to be careful, when I want to brake the lever sometimes moves inward because they slip away from my fingers. I actually decided that my next dropbar bike will have sram brifters....

Woodway what happens if you dont make your goal of 6tm ?
    Well you guys have snow already? Temps are still hovering above freezing here, as usual with grey and foggy or drizzle. This evening was a bit better so I took a longer way home and added 20 minutes extra to the ride home. I was rewarded with a nice sunset on the way home.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Jeremy maybe the broomstick bar wasnt comfy because the fargo is made for dropbars? Do you know that those shimano brifters also have a movable brake lever to shift? On my tiagra ones I have to be careful, when I want to brake the lever sometimes moves inward because they slip away from my fingers. I actually decided that my next dropbar bike will have sram brifters....
    Yeah I am sure that is correct. I thought it would work because I had seen so many others to it. I had hoped it would help with the hand and wrist pain I was having with the drops. It did help with that but now Im having rear end issues, because the flats shifted too much weight onto my butt I guess. So Im looking for a good solution to make my hoods/drop bars more comfortable. I bought some good lizard skin bar tape but am open to suggestions to make this thing not give me dead hands on my 3 hour commute days. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bedward I dont know that bike so now I have bike research to do. Thank you for giving me that gift.

mtbr member
    I know that hand issue very well. I have the same dropbar on my touring and cx bike, and still the cx bike is not as comfy. I can not ride it without padded gloves.

On both touring and cx bike I have a double layer of cinelli gel tape, so that brings a lot already. You could try to put a gel pad underneath it in addition, or maybe try another bar. Or put a piece of bartape under the rubber hood to make it rounder and softer.

Me and the woodchipper never became friends either. I had tektro rl520 levers on them and never could align the brakehoods with the top of the bars. My hands were lying on the bar only on the sides and it caused pressure points.

I dont know the sram brifters except for a short testride. They felt good but that doesnt say anything.

Maybe an mtb bar is the right thing for you, but a jones bar is very much bent backwards. Maybe a bar with less backsweep combined with a longer stem would be sufficient too?

In the end, it will come down to experimenting. Maybe another dropbar would help, but usually that turns ou costy..

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Plus I need to figure out how to replace the shift cable on my SRAM Brifters.
    Undoubtedly under a small plastic cover with the smallest screw in the world holding it in place, which you will drop. At least that's the way I do it. Is it SRAM doubletap? I'm not a fan either. The doubletap is unforgiving if the drivetrain isn't perfect because you can't give it that extra little push to get it to a bigger gear.

Yeah, yeah yeah, we should have taken a better picture. Here is a head on picture of our "twin" bikes. Except my version of it is 3 years older, aluminum, has wider tires and has the old style suspension linkage. But it is still a great bike.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg I'll work on a side view.

But maybe not soon. We re getting dumped on with snow. I totally could have rode yesterday but not today and probably not tomorrow. I'm not sure I have it in me to pack down 4-5 miles of fresh snow.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Woodway what happens if you dont make your goal of 6tm ?
    Not make my goal? How can you ask such a question? I mean life as we all know it will end horribly. This is serious stuff...

Undoubtedly under a small plastic cover with the smallest screw in the world holding it in place, which you will drop. At least that's the way I do it. Is it SRAM doubletap? I'm not a fan either. The doubletap is unforgiving if the drivetrain isn't perfect because you can't give it that extra little push to get it to a bigger gear.
    I ride SRAM Doubletaps and have for years. Love em. I have Shimano Brifters on my gravel bike. Every time I ride that bike I am reminded of how much better I like the doubletap system. As far as changing the cables, pretty simple - the brake cable is exposed when you pull on the brake lever a bit. Shift cable comes in from the side, you need to pull the rubber hood back to get at it and you need to shift all the way out into the highest gear setting. Make sure your new cables (especially the shift cable) has brazed ends otherwise it can be a little tricky to feed through.

Light rain this morning but warm at 50F/10C. Something was up on my path to work. I crossed the freeway on a bridge and came upon all kinds of flashing lights when I came down the other side. A police officer stopped me and said "you cannot go that way". He declined to elaborate on what was happening down there. When I pointed out I was not going to ride down the road but was going to peel off to the right about a block down onto a paved trail that paralleled the freeway (and goes in a different direction), he let me go.

mtbr member
    woodway that is a good summary.

Nice pic bedwards. Riding it is even better than photographing it

I had a customer meetingg late in the afternoon and so I went later to work and rode the entire way in in daylight already. On the way home it was completely dark and about halfway a coworker caught up from behind and we rode the rest together. We compared lights along the way by turning them off one by one etc. All in all the usual stuff that normal people do.

mtbr member
    Had a good ride today, weather was nice!How was your commute today?-c48c909a-4181-47a0-96a1-2b392413c925.jpg
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo XT/Gevenalle 2x11

Moderator Moderator
    Met an "avid biker" on the way home at the pizza place. She said she would like to bike in winter but was concerned about being cold. I suggested going in 10 degree increments. Try it at 10 degrees colder than you normally ride; if al is good, try 10 degrees colder, adjusting clothing based on first try. If too cold, try again with another or warmer layer. Also, ears, toes, and fingers will need the most attention. And no, you do not need a fatbike to bike (on the road) in winter. A nice chat, I think she might actually try it. Rides were good, roads are clearing up after 2 days of snow. Teens this morning, closer to freezing this evening.

mtbr member
    The slow+miserable slush trail from yesterday afternoon froze up hard overnight and was fast rolling this morning.

With the temp hovering around freezing, I'm just hoping the sun doesn't come out today.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^ Nice recruiting work MTBX. Very sensible advice.

Studded tired ghettocruiser?

Rained like mad here on the ride home last night, but dry this morning. Temps in mid 40's, around 7C. Uneventful ride.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Met an "avid biker" on the way home at the pizza place. She said she would like to bike in winter but was concerned about being cold. I suggested going in 10 degree increments. Try it at 10 degrees colder than you normally ride; if al is good, try 10 degrees colder, adjusting clothing based on first try. If too cold, try again with another or warmer layer. Also, ears, toes, and fingers will need the most attention. And no, you do not need a fatbike to bike (on the road) in winter. A nice chat, I think she might actually try it. Rides were good, roads are clearing up after 2 days of snow. Teens this morning, closer to freezing this evening.
    I went in 10 degree increments this morning. "Alexa" said it was 24F when I left but it was about 14F when I got to work. Does that count? Of course that was 1 hour and 40 minutes later because I could only go 3MPH breaking the new trail for a lot of the trail portion of the ride.

Yeah, ghettocruiser, I'm not even sure what temps I am hoping for. We're officially between all good seasons here. Junky roads, unpacked snow covered trails, not enough snow to ski or snowshoe, too much snow to bike or skate. No clear ice to skate.

mtbr member
    Nice work mtbx! Ghettocruiser that sounds pretty bad, wasnt it slippery? Bedwards the lake is freezing soon I guess? I remember you said it usually freezes around christmas?

Nice rides today. It was freezing this morning, just -2 C but enough to give everything a nice white twinkling coating and I rode in with a nice sunrise in my back. Ride home was uneventful and in the dark as usual. I just have to avoid the unpaved section for now unless it is frozen solid. The mud is getting too sticky and this morning I had to clean my rear fender again because it was clogged.

CB of the East
    The lake freezes when it freezes. Sometimes it is in January. I thought it might freeze 2 weeks ago in November but it was too windy. I had my hopes that it would "catch" just after this last storm but the weather isn't cooperating.

But I am ready. This commuting around the lake with studded tires is too exhausting.

mtbr member
    Well good luck for you then bedwards!

I just see that it is supposed to rain 19hrs straight tomorrow. Game on

Members who have read this thread: 136