How was your commute today? - Page 128- Mtbr.com
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128
Results 25,401 to 25,596 of 25596
    NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    97F yesterday. The hottest October day on record. Still no rain.

Cooler weather is on the way, but I'm cutting out for NC on Friday. I'm going to sneak in a Pisgah ride while down there and check out my first Velosolutions pump track. When my wife asks, "Can we visit my best friend in NC?," the answer is always "Yes!"
    Nice! I'm pretty sure that's the company that's going to make a pump track about 30 minutes drive North of me. Apparently it'll be on the order of the biggest in the country. There's supposed to be one in a neighboring suburb but I can't find the thing and it's small.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Nice! I'm pretty sure that's the company that's going to make a pump track about 30 minutes drive North of me. Apparently it'll be on the order of the biggest in the country. There's supposed to be one in a neighboring suburb but I can't find the thing and it's small.
    Awesome. They are popping up all over the world. Apparently, we aren't cool enough in Louisville, KY to afford one.

The thing I hate about pump tracks is that even if they're built correctly--which they aren't always--they fall prey to erosion and don't get the amount of upkeep they need. The rollers on our local track are getting smaller and smaller and seemingly farther and farther apart as the dirt settles into the troughs, making it harder to ride. Asphalt seems like it'd be super fast. I'm kind of concerned I'll get cocky and try to gap something a little too ambitious, but we'll see what happens.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Awesome. They are popping up all over the world. Apparently, we aren't cool enough in Louisville, KY to afford one.

The thing I hate about pump tracks is that even if they're built correctly--which they aren't always--they fall prey to erosion and don't get the amount of upkeep they need. The rollers on our local track are getting smaller and smaller and seemingly farther and farther apart as the dirt settles into the troughs, making it harder to ride. Asphalt seems like it'd be super fast. I'm kind of concerned I'll get cocky and try to gap something a little too ambitious, but we'll see what happens.
    I can feel that sense of worry. It'll be perfect to take my '02 Monocog out on whenever it gets finished. Hopefully y'all will get one sometime!
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    First day of cool weather, actually feels like fall. My cheap blinky popped off the bracket when I hit a bump and scattered in pieces across the road...guess I didn't get it snapped on all the way. My nicer blinky has an elastic band instead of a bracket, I think I like that better now.

mtbr member
    This morning, my saddle came loose. I don't know why, but it did. It was so bad, I had to hand tighten it at a stop light. Then the last 5 minutes of my ride were spent out of the saddle because the saddle was rattling around and pointing up as far as it could go.

mtbr member
    I now understand why i have trouble reaching a service desk in Hamburg!

My ride was good, but this morning wet again, on the way back it was dry but big headwind...enjoyed it none the less!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo XT/Gevenalle 2x11

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    First day of cool weather, actually feels like fall. My cheap blinky popped off the bracket when I hit a bump and scattered in pieces across the road...guess I didn't get it snapped on all the way. My nicer blinky has an elastic band instead of a bracket, I think I like that better now.
    Ive never been a fan of rubber band mounts, but they work. My niterider hard clamp last night splayed open as i tightened and i had to cruiser over while holding it on to fix it. Had someone rush a pass tyen cut a right in front of me, sheesh.
    Been hot and humid, this morning commute cooled of a little, because rains rolling in. I left early as i saw a opening in the weather radar, timed it pretty well and caught just a bit of it as i arrived, isnt technology amazing?

mtbr member
    I accidentally rode the big ring all the way home. I was down to 48 x 29 on the half mile or so grade. Wondered why my quads were complaining a bit. Good work out. So I'll push the same on the way in on Monday. Improvement over wondering if I'd have to drop to the 24 granny when using the 36 x 29 on that same hill. Dropping 20 pounds helped too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Shadow View Post
    I now understand why i have trouble reaching a service desk in Hamburg!
    Hey I'm here!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Hey I'm here!
    I needed somebody @ Mirion
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

Moderator Moderator
    Nice rides today. Had an annual Department day with a.m. meetings and p.m. activities. Lucky for me it was at the granite museum about 6 miles from home. From there I got a lift to the MTB trail system nearby where I am on the trail crew, and led a ride around the old quarries, etc. There was a great turnout for the biking, but my group was only 4 which made it easy to regroup. After the ride I was able to ride home 8 miles past the reservoir and check on the loons (still there) and the beavers (their new dam has raised the water level in the adjacent wetland about 4'). Interestingly, and unusually, among the 4 of us nobody brought a cell that could take pix or a camera.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Had someone rush a pass tyen cut a right in front of me, sheesh.
    I hate that!

The local Thursday night gravel group rides have started up so I got bonus miles in on the way home.

mtbr member
    I had someone pass me dangerously to my left while I was in the process of switching lanes. I had I signaled my move into the turning lane, but apparently I don't count because I'm on a bike. Instead of having to deal with me sitting behind them at the red light, they decided to run the red. So basically, all around great driving...

local trails rider
    It was dark going out - the sun peeked through the clouds coming back. It has been getting colder. I need to find warmer gloves.

How was your commute today?-20191004_143054.jpg

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

CB of the East
    The forum is getting s little more active. Winter must be coming.

It is getting colder and darker by the day. I've finally committed to tights instead of shorts for the colder days. I got rained on a little this morning but it wasn't too bad. I can't think of any terribly bad drivers to report for the week. All and all they've been pretty decent. I'm tired and ready for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Wore bike pants this morning instead of shorts, my hat, and my winter gloves and shoes with toe warmers stuck to my socks. I didn't need it and was pretty sweaty when I got to work after 90+ minutes of riding, but I wasn't cold. ;-)

Winter is coming. It was mid 40s this morning. It is dark the whole way now as I ride in.

Oh, and on the way home I stopped for a yellow turning red light (I was turning left) and a truck behind me just decided to go on through the intersection. Stupid drivers. It's not like it's more than a one-two minute delay. Thankfully, he went around me instead of through me.

mtbr member
    Rode the 48 front and used all 13-29 rear but did not need to shift to the center sprocket and only a little quad burn just before the crest of the long grade. So still improving.

The battery in the HM strap got shorted by sweat and leaked. Lithium battery not mercury so that was not as bad as it might have been. Trying some waterproof Gorilla duct tape over the battery cover as grease did not help seal it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Rode my bike today and the fall colors are really starting to come out.

Moderator Moderator
    I wore pants today for the first time this fall too, mostly because it was supposed to drop more than it has. Very foggy on my route, the glasses were misting over reducing visibility even more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thunder/Lightning storms have kept me off my bike. I received verification that my warranty replacement motor is in and the warranty work will be done on Monday. So, my goal is to ride in tomorrow and drop my bike off tomorrow. I should be able to pick up my bike on Monday. Bosch is actually doing the motor replacement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Today was the family Commute. Haven't ridden the tandem yet this year and almost forgot how much we love. It's extra cool with the weehoo.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Had to put on my rainwear for the last 5k, wich sucks bigtime, but i poured. Did some work on my Salsa this evening and itís nearly done!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Had 2 dry trips this day - yay!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Commute this morning was cold. Not ready for winter just yet.

How was your commute today?-img_7914.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I love fall it is very pretty and the temperatures are great for riding.

mtbr member
    Looking good Jeremy! I have a week off from work next week so no commuting, but time for touring!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

CB of the East
    Oooh Nooo Snooow!

I'm around, just wicked busy. I only got to ride 3 days this week. That's how busy. The weather has been nice and not too cold yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yesterday was rain and thunder both ways, today was cool and breezy but pretty nice

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for all the photos, it keeps it interesting here. The snow looks a little too interesting though! Uneventful BMX commute Friday, another nice day. Thursday I drove to an annual meeting/work party, and after painting some leantos for the state park some of us went on a MTB ride on some fun trails I had not tried before. A good day all around, with leaves falling as we rode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Today was a beautiful day. I replaced my derailleur pulleys this weekend (bearings were shot) and got some great pictures also.

Moon set through the trees unfortunately the iPhone camera makes it look small.

Same spot opposite direction is the sunrise.

And then arrived home to a sunset.

Also got some great fall colors along the way.

Itís great since my path is so long that for most of the year it is very pretty.

mtbr member
    Hey all,

just wanted to chime in during my time off. Returned from a short vacation last week and probably staying home this week, although I still hope to make short overnighter end of the week, depending of the weather forecast is correct.

I did make 2 fattie rides of ~3hrs, 30km/20m and 600hm/2000ft of climbing each, and a 85km/52m roadride today to visit a previous co-worker, so I am not completely off the bike this week.

Nice to read about your commutes and for sure some nice pics here too! Unfortunately I still didnt figure out how to upload pics directly from Google here, since they stopped with Picase and forced me to use Google Photos, direct links dont work anymore. Therefore a link to an album with today's pics:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/CL3nRPx4V8TmwNVA7

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Welcome back, nice pix!

On Wednesday morning's ride I got a flat right in the driveway at work, which is pretty much the best place to get a flat. Unfortunately, as soon as I rolled it into the bike rack and locked it up I forgot about it until the end of the day. Already running late and only a patch kit and the wrong size tube (yes bedwards, you told me so), I left it there and walked down to the bus. I did not know the schedule so I could have had a half hour wait, but no, my bus was sitting right there. Flood and wind warnings today. I think I will drive.

CB of the East
    ^^I told you? I know I've said that I will always have the wrong size tube unless I attach it to the bike.

I didn't ride today either because of the giant hype around this storm. Most of it happened overnight. By the time I was ready to leave for work in the car it was mostly over. Oh well. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    First ride since having the motor replaced, as I told my LBS...this "feels" like a totally different bike. There definitely was something wrong with the original motor.

I know you guys up north have already started to feel the temperature drop, well 68įF (20įC) feels pretty awesome.

Had a great ride in today: https://www.relive.cc/view/vdOR73XB4K6

mtbr member
    It's been chilly this week. Luckily the rain moved out before the commute yesterday.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Seems to be a flood of flats.

I got one riding home wednesday night, had to change it in the pouring rain. Did a crappy job because thursday morning I got another one, same wheel. Upon taking the tire off, I realized I had pinched the tube the night before while getting the tire back on. Grrr. Quick change and off I went, only to flat again about three miles from the office. Front tire this time.

Switched over to winter tires last night. Hope that makes a difference.

CB of the East
    ^^I'll second that. Well, hopefully not a flood but I got one this morning as well. It is actually my first road flat in a long time. I spent most of my time "fixing it" trying to find what created it in the first place so I wouldn't flat again. Nothing. I had inflated the tire this morning so maybe it was just that the valve stem didn't get seated. It was a chilly 40F but no rain. I'll take that. Oh, and somebody came out of their house and offered that I could work on it in their garage if I wanted. I didn't because I was almost done but it was a nice offer.

In brighter news, I got my KOM back from Hugo Houle. One small step for mankind...but I'm happy with it.

TGIF

mtbr member
    ^^hope that the bad luck stays on your side of the ocean.

Woodway nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear about your flats though. And Rain season has started again for you? I remember you telling once, that you rode 10-11 days in a row in the rain.

I made another "road"ride again today. Took the train for 30minutes, then made a 59km/40m tour home. Apparently I had planned it in MTB mode so I was offroad a lot of the time and the CX bike with 40mm slicks was not always the best choice. However the route overall was very mixed and interesting. I think this was a kind of ride that defines "adventure" biking Pix here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/8Nhq1aRcJZSSD4U76

Will be back to commuting on Monday. Will probably ride the spare bike. I had to sent in the Rohloff because of oil leakage last week :-/

Have a nice weekend everyone!

CB of the East
    I don't know dutchman, I think it looks like the perfect bike for most of it. Maybe not the muddy spots.

mtbr member
    Hi bedwards, thats quite right, german complaining attitude coming through here some knobbier tires and it would have been perfect. Will probably put the schwalbe hurricanes back on or maybe even a schwalbe smart sam, I felt unsafe on the slicks in the turns today, even on the road. For the rest I really like the bike. With the seatpost rack it is versatile to take some stuff without a backpack and with the tubus airy it is good for light touring. I think I could rig a few anything cages on the fork too. In the pics I have installed both racks, I am currently trying around what works best.

CB of the East
    Yeah, don't listen to me. I was feeling pretty confident on the Schwalbe G-One tires on the trail with no knobs until the front wheel slipped out without warning and I crashed a few weeks ago.

I did locate the hole in my tube and patched it. Now I'm going to have to pull the tire off again to make sure there is noting in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Well the flat bug bit me too and Iím sorry to say Dutchman it crossed the pond, but maybe as an American living abroad I am missing the proper immunization. So you might still be safe.

It was a pretty morning ride.

The return trip I got heavily rained on and that is also when the flat bug bit. I wasnít paying enough attention and struck a sharp rock that pinched in a knob and punctured the tire. The hole was too big for my sealant to stop so I pulled over and put in the spare tube I always carry for this very reason. Fortunately it was after I cleared the 10 km of rain and was just muddy. I got a few pretty pictures of my path home after the rain as well.

mtbr member
    Jeremy, nice pics as usual and I now fear the worst for my commutes coming week...

Bedwards, yes I do listen - G-One suddenly slipping? I recommended them I believe.. well, ooops...

And I decided to turn of complaining mode - will install the hurricanes tomorrow and buy some knobbies when I have to, and done, period

CB of the East
    Oh, they are great tires if you don't ride them on mountain biking terrain.

Jeremy, I'm going to plug the plugger again. No sticky sealant to mess with and super fast. There are a few different versions of them but I like the Blackburn one with its easy access bike mount.

In my final update (hopefully) I found the hole in my tire but the sharp object was long gone.

mtbr member
    done Hurricanes are now back on the CX bike - weather is going to be mostly dry next week, might even ride a commute on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post

Jeremy, I'm going to plug the plugger again. No sticky sealant to mess with and super fast. There are a few different versions of them but I like the Blackburn one with its easy access bike mount...

Thanks for the tip, guess I hadnít seen that before. One is on order from bike-components.de hopefully will be here soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Been doing a 20 mile round trip commute 5/7 for months now. I hadn't been on a bike for a couple years, and it sure is nice to be riding again! I used to ride 200 miles a week on my road bike, years ago, but this new-to-me 29er has sure been fun and it is revitalizing my love for cycling!

mtbr member
    i am not a religious man but i got baptised on my way to work this morning, if it wasn't for decent raingear i would have been soaked on arrival at work... hope it is better this afternoon...the Fargo is proving to be a very nice commuter though!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Well the flat bug struck again, the rip in my tire that caused my tubeless flat, pinched my tube and flatted the tube. I think Iím gonna have to replace the tire which sucks because it has less than 200 miles on it.

mtbr member
    The way back was better; not a drop and a very nice pace! Had the phone tucked away so no pics sadly...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Well the flat bug struck again, the rip in my tire that caused my tubeless flat, pinched my tube and flatted the tube. I think Iím gonna have to replace the tire which sucks because it has less than 200 miles on it.
    That sure sucks! What kind of tyres do you run Jeremy?
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Hi shadow, with decent raingear I always like to ride in the rain and did you go touring?

Welcome crazy 8s!

Edited: oh that sucks big time jeremy!

Vacation has come to an end today :-/ I cant complain, made 2 rides with the fatbike and 2 on the cx bike.

My rear wheel is not back yet from repair so I took the spare bike today. After discovering that it was still dark outside at 7 and after turning the basement upside down to find 2 suitable lights with charged batteries I was finally good to go. Weather was wet and grey with around 12C. On the way home it was wet, grey and around 12C. Not much of a choice....but it is supposed to stay dry the rest of the week!

mtbr member
    Hi shadow, with decent raingear I always like to ride in the rain and did you go touring?

My rear wheel is not back yet from repair so I took the spare bike today. After discovering that it was still dark outside at 7 and after turning the basement upside down to find 2 suitable lights with charged batteries I was finally good to go. Weather was wet and grey with around 12C. On the way home it was wet, grey and around 12C. Not much of a choice....but it is supposed to stay dry the rest of the week!
    I recently bought a new pair of rain trousers and shoe covers, i arrived a bit sweatty, but not soaked. And i allways shower before i change into my work clothes, so no problem there. I also had autumn holiday just like you, made a nice tour to test the Fargo and my wifeís stamina we did 60k and called in for a few cold ones at my moms house, was a succes so to say

Whatís up with your Rohloff wheel then?
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Shadow View Post
    That sure sucks! What kind of tyres do you run Jeremy?
    I have been running Vittoria Mezcal 29x2.35 graphene i have really liked them. Iím willing to blame myself for this set pressure was too high and hit a really big sharp piece of gravel when I wasnít paying attention. Bashed them pretty good last Friday. Today I think that spot folded and pinched the tube and flatted me again. Iím gonna order a new tire hopefully this one last longer.

mtbr member
    Are you running always tubeless?
    I remember Vittoria tyres as really light and supple, but not as leak proof :-)
    Would rather look into Smart Sams or Soma Cazaderoís then...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

CB of the East
    My rear wheel is not back yet from repair so I took the spare bike today...
    How many bikes are you up to now? Is it 3 or 4 or did you make it to 5.

jeremy, it sounds like that hole might be a little large for a plug.

I did a Monday mountain bike commute today. It's nice to get back on the trails after mostly road riding this summer. I was missing my deer sightings. The weather has been lovely for October.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    ...jeremy, it sounds like that hole might be a little large for a plug...
    Oh it is, I would guess it is 3/8Ē (10mm) long gash in my brand freaking new tire.

mtbr member
    The rohloff hub was leaking oil and it contaminated the brakepads too. Normally there is 25ml of oil in the hub, to be changed very year. I chaned it last January and on oct. 4 there was no oil in the hub anymore....when I broke a flange it could have been my fault for putting too much tension on the spokes, but this time I really wonder what I could have done wrong. So much for the indestructable rohloff...

I now own 4 rideable bikes. The cx/road bike, my orange 28" main commuter/touring bike, the black 26" spare commuter touring folding bike and the fatbike.

Jeremy what happened that you have such a long tear in your tire? I scrolled up but didnt find it. Hit a broken bottle somewhere? Germany is famous for its broken bottles, no wonder schwalbe invented the "unflattable" plus tire.

mtbr member
    Rohloff has an issue with the flanges, thatís why they thought out the Ďflange ringsí to keep your broken piece of flange inside the wheel so that you can cycle to the next service point. I rode a Rohloff bike from a co worker a few months ago, was not impressed by the Ďfeelí of the transmission, shifting was good but i still prefer derailleurs if i am honest...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Jeremy what happened that you have such a long tear in your tire? I scrolled up but didnt find it. Hit a broken bottle somewhere? Germany is famous for its broken bottles, no wonder schwalbe invented the "unflattable" plus tire.
    I honestly donít know what I hit. It was big enough to feel, like a big rock, bottle, or chunk of a branch. But sharp enough to rip my tire. Whatever it was caught only the outer 1/8th of the tread of my tire and shot into the woods so I never found it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I just found out Nick Nolte and I both ride the same eBike, I'll try my best not to bring this up every other post.

How was your commute today?-nick.jpg

How was your commute today?-jeff.jpg

https://www.relive.cc/view/vDqgJ7jdmG6

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    I just found out Nick Nolte and I both ride the same eBike, I'll try my best not to bring this up every other post.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nick.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	357.0 KB 
ID:	1288095

Name:	Jeff.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	1288097

https://www.relive.cc/view/vDqgJ7jdmG6
    Wow that Nick Nolte? I thought some old alcoholic. Wait, whereĎs the difference? Or was that Gary Busey?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Riding through leaves last night ran over something and cut my tire pretty badly:

How was your commute today?-img_1020.jpg

I thought that I might be able to nurse the tire home but after swapping the tube and a few pumps, it was clear that the tire was too deeply cut to ride.

After some quick pondering of options, I opened my wallet, extracted a couple of dollar bills, and made myself an instant tire boot

How was your commute today?-img_1017.jpg

I nursed the tire about 5.5 miles/9km home. Extracted the bills and they are ready to spend.

How was your commute today?-img_1022.jpg

After my flat-fest last week, I had swapped my rear tire for a heavier winter tire. The plan had been to swap the front tire for something heavier this weekend. But now I don't need to

mtbr member
    Hi woodway, I have read about that trick and nice to see that it really works. Are you going to sew it with dental floss?

Jelako, it seems you made a good choice with that bike, you seem to be in good company.

I rode spare bike again today and again I had difficulties finding it back in the bikestands at work. Everybody seems to have a black bike. Black bikes svck big time.

Rides were ok, dry and little wind.

mtbr member
    Had a wet and dry commute today, the way back i got up to 28kph avg. Wich is not bad for a heavy giant on a Fargo...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

CB of the East
    I have used the dollar bill tire boot option before too. I just used a single bill and wrapped it the other way.

Tuesday couples commute with my wife today. It's supposed to rain pretty heavy in the morning and I need a car Thursday afternoon so I think I will do the drive in/ride home and then ride in/drive home trick.

mtbr member
    I drove yesterday in anticipation of a big storm that was supposed to hit (downpours, 50+ mph wind, etc.). Big flop. We barely got anything remotely close to severe. The tiny amount of drizzle I drove through on the way home would have been perfectly pleasant to ride in. Oh well. Ride in this morning was nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Welcome crazy 8s!
    TY! Glad to be here!

I bought an Amazon cheapo air fork to replace the heavy as lead coil shock that came with the bike. SO MUCH AWESOME!!! It totally changed the bike for the better! I was warned that servicing it may be an issue, but atleast I know now why people will spend so much dough on a good fork...because they ride so nicely! When I blow this one up, I will get a better one.

Sure makes the commute much nicer on Phoenix's trashed roads, and when I get on some trails it will be that much better.

mtbr member
    I did not think of waterproof Gorilla Duct Tape in time to save sweat shorting out the HRM battery which leaked into the circuitry and killed the unit. (Sigh). New strap worked well today once I got the Edge 500 linked to it.

No wind on the way to the hospital, and I hit 25 mph without pushing it too hard on about a 3-5% downhill grade. Reminded me or riding with traffic 37 years ago in pretty flat Champaign IL. Also rode two 3-5% slopes into the wind at about 12 mph @ 140-141 pulse (because of meds) close to my maximum doctor recommended pulse rate (143).

From the bottom of my street, riding on Monday:

How was your commute today?-lfceta.jpg

Seems it's fall.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Hi woodway, I have read about that trick and nice to see that it really works. Are you going to sew it with dental floss?
    The tire went to tire heaven, Dutchman.

Nice, uneventful ride this morning. Well except that I almost hit a deer. But no flats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Last week on my commute home, my rear facing light AND mount that attach to my helmet were missing. I am of the opinion that the shear speeds at which I commute at caused a severe downwind causing the mount to detach. I sent a semi-sarcastic tweet to @Bontrager and they actually replied. They told me to put in a Warranty claim. I contacted my LBS, and they put in the warranty claim. Bontrager sent me a new mount and a new FlareRT light!

If you guys are in the market for a new helmet &/or lights, Bontrager stands by their products and they are active on social media.

At any rate my commute home involved a stop at the bike shop:

https://www.relive.cc/view/vRO7dVGXgK6

CB of the East
    Lead Coil Shock, LOL.

woodway are you sure it went to heaven?

The ride home last night was uneventful. We got heavy rain as promised this morning and now the sun is out. I was pretty happy not to ride in it. I've got the bike for the ride home.

CB of the East
    If you guys are in the market for a new helmet &/or lights, Bontrager stands by their products and they are active on social media.
    Niterider is also super customer friendly. They warranty most anything with no questions asked and out of warranty lights they fix (usually replace) for a flat fee including shipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    The tire went to tire heaven, Dutchman.

Nice, uneventful ride this morning. Well except that I almost hit a deer. But no flats.
    May it Ride In Peace.

Oh and you just almost hit a deer. Well that happens from time to time.

I had lunch with 3 other bikefreaks, uuuuh, normal people like me today and discussed also ripped tires. One said he had once glued one together. Made a tire boot out of a plastic PET bottle that he glued over the patch and he continued 500km/300m on it until the end of the tour.

I only lost the bolt of my front left fender strut. Did not look for it, it went over the curb into the grass. The fender was rubbing so I ziptied it and now it works again.

mtbr member
    Got 20km done in 40 minutes today, wich is not spectacular, but half way i make a big turn and the wind went from back/sidewind to headwind, force 5 ... i followed a co-worker on a rowingbike (rowingbike.com) and he went like 45km/h with a tailwind and 35km/h in the headwind, that was a little to much for me, after a few kmís i dropped out and continued at around 24km/h...man but what a machine such a bike is...
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

CB of the East
    Wow, those rowingbikes are some odd looking things. I bet you could drop him on the trail.

Trail, that's what I did this morning. My speed was definitely not spectacular either but it was a nice morning to be in the woods alone.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Wow, those rowingbikes are some odd looking things. I bet you could drop him on the trail.

Trail, that's what I did this morning. My speed was definitely not spectacular either but it was a nice morning to be in the woods alone.

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	1288605
    Beautifull pic!

Yeah they are odd looking, but he can do 45km/h without sweating and he can gear up a little more...the cassette is replaced by a conical slotted disc in wich the pulling cable runs, by adjusting the length of the cable and changing the diameter of the disc where his pull starts, he can change Ďgearí i can tell you that his biggest part of the disc is like a 50t cassette and the smallest looks like a 10t or smaller, bizarre amount of range.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Oh shadow, imho that is very spectacular!

Nice pic bedwards. As I know you, did you put the camera on the saddle?

I had a nice ride today and nothing fell apart.

mtbr member
    Amen!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

CB of the East
    Oh shadow, imho that is very spectacular!

Nice pic bedwards. As I know you, did you put the camera on the saddle?

Somewhere near the saddle.

I had an OK ride today. Nothing fell apart except my legs. They haven't been too interested in riding much. Tired Tired Tired. At least it is Friday.

Next week isn't looking too promising for staying dry.How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Rough commute in this morning. I had issues with not one but two drivers. The first was a pick-up with a trailer. The guy was at a stop sign about to turn left and sped out to try to sneak in front of me. I had to hit the brakes to avoid getting swiped by his trailer.

About 100 yards down the road I was getting ready to make my left turn, when an SUV rolled its stop sign and darted out into the road. I had to stop hard stop, yet again, in the middle of the intersection while letting out some of the loudest yells I think I've ever mustered. This time, the driver hit the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road. I executed my turn, and the driver accelerated hard around me and sped off.

CB of the East
    ...embarrassed that he didn't see you, no doubt.

mtbr member
    ...embarrassed that he didn't see you, no doubt.
    Judging by the way these people were driving, I'm pretty sure both drivers saw me. The SUV pretty much either had to stop or run me over. By the time I could stop, I was almost in front of him.

mtbr member
    Sometimes I think we need a special version of Still Not Dead Today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J34esa_aJxc

mtbr member
    Had 2 dry commutes and now it's weekend and time for a cold one :-)
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The first was a pick-up with a trailer.
    When people ask me if I'm concerned riding in the bike lane with traffic, my reply is consistent: It's not the cars that concern me, it's the vehicles pulling trailers! I have only been commuting since May and I already have "too many to count" examples of being passed by a truck, but the trailer is OVER the line INTO the bike lane. It's so scary, I don't want to skin to be peeled back like a can opener! And of course the example you gave, the guy that has to speed by you; only to cut you off with his trailer always seems to cut into your lane a little too close for comfort.

My morning rides this week were just fantastic. I'm still commuting in shorts and short sleeve shirt. Today was 73į F and the humidity was non existent. It was fantastic.

On my ride home tonight, I'm stopping at my brewery again. I've been looking forward to this all week knowing I don't have to work my part time job on a Friday evening.

mtbr member
    Hey bedwards, sorry maybe I wasnt clear enough. So with my remark about the camera I was actually referring to the height of the saddle above the handlebar - you can see the bar somewhere down below in the picture. I always wonder how you can sit on a bike like that, I have to have my bars and saddle level..

Sockyeus, sounds like a rough day for you. Glad you came out ok.

My son had a flat rear today and I took the opportunity to teach him how to patch it. So he did everythng well until we put the glue on the tube. He squeezed the glue too much and got a lot of it on his shoes, so I told him to better go and clean it. Did the rest myself from there, but it looks like he would have made it. He deserved a nice cold one

Nice rides and nothing fell apart again Tomorrow we are expected to get 18C, next week temps are going to drop to around freezing. Time to sort out the winter gear this weekend.

mtbr member
    When people ask me if I'm concerned riding in the bike lane with traffic, my reply is consistent: It's not the cars that concern me, it's the vehicles pulling trailers!
    My first video camera was new (8-9 years ago) when I took this picture of a horse trailer that the driver forgot about or did not allow for me traveling at about 20 mph. There was no one oncoming so there was no need to come within 2 feet of me with that trailer. More bright clothing and lights has made this a lot rarer.

How was your commute today?-close1n.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Was an excellent ride to work and back today, aside from many cars of death that seem to aim for me and other cyclists. The wind was at my back the whole way there...and it flipped direction some time during the day and was again at my back on the ride home! That was a nice Friday gift!

Had the first puncture of this bike's lifetime yesterday, but got home before it totally flatted. Tubeless tires are something of a new concept to me, but I have heard such great rumors about how well they handle punctures so I will have been looking in to it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 8s View Post
    Was an excellent ride to work and back today, aside from many cars of death that seem to aim for me and other cyclists. The wind was at my back the whole way there...and it flipped direction some time during the day and was again at my back on the ride home! That was a nice Friday gift!

Had the first puncture of this bike's lifetime yesterday, but got home before it totally flatted. Tubeless tires are something of a new concept to me, but I have heard such great rumors about how well they handle punctures so I will have been looking in to it.
    Nice, have had those rare days too, but ive also had days when the wind flipped the other way and it was headwind going both ways!

There are some issues with tubeless to be aware of. If your doing it with high pressure road tires you need to be careful with selecting rim and tires designed for road tubeless, otherwise they can blow off rims.
    They dont retain pressure as well as tubes, if you dont check often and/or store bike unridden for long time you could be caught with deflated tire. If u get a large failure that doesnt seal and plug doesnt fix, its a bit of a mess to put in tube.
    For my commuter im running conti gatorback tires, tube with tubeless sealant in it in front to test out how it works out

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    Nice, have had those rare days too, but ive also had days when the wind flipped the other way and it was headwind going both ways!

There are some issues with tubeless to be aware of. If your doing it with high pressure road tires you need to be careful with selecting rim and tires designed for road tubeless, otherwise they can blow off rims.
    They dont retain pressure as well as tubes, if you dont check often and/or store bike unridden for long time you could be caught with deflated tire. If u get a large failure that doesnt seal and plug doesnt fix, its a bit of a mess to put in tube.
    For my commuter im running conti gatorback tires, tube with tubeless sealant in it in front to test out how it works out
    That is what I have heard. Higher pressure doesn't work so well. I was thinking about using my 29er wheels with something like 38 to 42c 'gravel' tires and maybe use 50 to 60 psi. I might just get another wheelset for commuting and one for off-road stuff.

Moderator Moderator
    Weird box truck harassment last night while I was pulled over in the driveway of a closed business to check my phone. Drove up alongside me with driver yelling, mostly unintelligible but I think I heard Mattressland (the store) and P.D. and know you're here. Maybe thought I was going to steal a mattress or some furniture on my bike??? Would a thief really light themselves up with multiple blinkies while casing the joint? I quickly got away from the truck, thinking it would be OK to continue on as the truck had been going the other way. Nope, he came back by right next to me and this time the passenger leaned way out yelling but the truck was so loud I have no idea what he said. The P.D. did not come by and pull me over to pat me down for stolen mattresses.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i forgot to post this a few weeks ago.
    How was your commute today?-e8d69967-ecb3-451b-bd7d-224cd48b1390.jpeg
    Left earlier than usual as i saw on radar approaching rain. Also gave me opportunity to take longer route.

mtbr member
    Mtbx maybe they mixed you up with someone else or they were simply in the mood to annoy someone.

Root that is a nice picture. Looks like a shower behind you above the sea? Edit: ^^ nice and stealthy selfmade fenders
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Root that is a nice picture. Looks like a shower behind you above the sea? Edit: ^^ nice and stealthy selfmade fenders
    Thx, yup, i almost beat the rain, caught some of it. The fenders dont beat full fenders, but i on occasion monster cross it and put 650b/27.5x2.1ís on it, wouldnt fit with conventional full fender i think. Made from shelf liner from local hardwate store.

CB of the East
    Hey bedwards, sorry maybe I wasnt clear enough. So with my remark about the camera I was actually referring to the height of the saddle above the handlebar - you can see the bar somewhere down below in the picture. I always wonder how you can sit on a bike like that, I have to have my bars and saddle level..
    Oh, that was what that comment was. Long legs and long arms. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

MTXB, Don't let me see you slinking around that mattress store with your Big Dummy or a trailer.

So, I was riding home on Friday and it was just after dark. I see our truck parked by a trailhead and I knew my wife was running with the dogs. I figured that she miscalculated the daylight and didn't have a light so I rode down to find her. I was right and I was able to guide her out. BUT, I was on my commuter bike with full fenders. 100 feet from the road the wheel caught a stick and I found out just how fast a stick between the tire and fender can stop a front tire. Actually it happens so fast that I didn't realize what happened until my face hit the ground. I broke my riding glasses and cracked my helmet. I came out in decent shape all things considered.

I could see this type of crash easily leaving someone paralyzed. I'm never riding a trail with fenders again and I bought some breakaway mounts this morning.

The ride in was good. No crashes but I kept an eagle eye out for sticks.

mtbr member
    bedwards you are doing things... sounds rough when you manage to crack a helmet. But at least, it was just the helmet.

Well I managed to ride both ways during sunrise and sunset. It looks like tomorrow evening will be the first ride in complete darkness. At least I have pretty good battery lights. My rear wheel is expected to be back in the lbs end of the week, so next week I will finally have the bike with the dynamohub and good lights back.

mtbr member
    I leave at 5:45 every morning, been dark a few weeks at that time :-) this morning i saw some frost on the cycle bridge over the canal close to my house, no worries but temperature is dropping now.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

Moderator Moderator

MTXB, Don't let me see you slinking around that mattress store with your Big Dummy or a trailer.

So, I was riding home on Friday and it was just after dark. I see our truck parked by a trailhead and I knew my wife was running with the dogs. I figured that she miscalculated the daylight and didn't have a light so I rode down to find her. I was right and I was able to guide her out. BUT, I was on my commuter bike with full fenders. 100 feet from the road the wheel caught a stick and I found out just how fast a stick between the tire and fender can stop a front tire. Actually it happens so fast that I didn't realize what happened until my face hit the ground. I broke my riding glasses and cracked my helmet. I came out in decent shape all things considered.

I could see this type of crash easily leaving someone paralyzed. I'm never riding a trail with fenders again and I bought some breakaway mounts this morning.

The ride in was good. No crashes but I kept an eagle eye out for sticks.
    Hahaha, yes slinking is the word. Glad your stick crash was not wose, but had to be pretty bad!

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides today, but Saturday was rough on a local bikecommuter trying to do basically a reverse of my commute on her way to work at the LBS, but on a back road. She was hit by a truck and remembers flying through the air. When she came to she did not know what happened but figured it out because the woman above her was so upset. Having wilderness first aid training, the rider coached the person through first aid, preventing (unsuccesfully) hypothermia, checking for major bleeding etc. She has significant injuries, spinal, neck, side body, collapsed lung, TBI, etc., but amazingly no broken bones and after many scans and tests was released the same day. Hoping for 110% recovery! It was foggy that morning but otherwise I don't have any details of the crash, but assume rear-ended; I believe it is a 50mph zone on much of the road. Scary stuff. Working at the shop I know she has good lights.

CB of the East
    ^^I hate stories like that. I think a broken bone sounds preferable to some of the things on that list. Here's to a 110% recovery, physically and mentally.

Here's a better story. I rode through the woods today and didn't crash. It wasn't raining but it wasn't not raining. We've still got some pretty brilliant fall color.

mtbr member

Sheesh. That sucks. It always amazes me that we can successfully navigate jumps, drops, rock gardens, log crossings, etc. but the worst crashes are usually the stupidest things that catch us completely by surprise. That's been my experience, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Good rides today, but Saturday was rough on a local bikecommuter trying to do basically a reverse of my commute on her way to work at the LBS, but on a back road. She was hit by a truck and remembers flying through the air. When she came to she did not know what happened but figured it out because the woman above her was so upset. Having wilderness first aid training, the rider coached the person through first aid, preventing (unsuccesfully) hypothermia, checking for major bleeding etc. She has significant injuries, spinal, neck, side body, collapsed lung, TBI, etc., but amazingly no broken bones and after many scans and tests was released the same day. Hoping for 110% recovery! It was foggy that morning but otherwise I don't have any details of the crash, but assume rear-ended; I believe it is a 50mph zone on much of the road. Scary stuff. Working at the shop I know she has good lights.
    That's intense. I've never experienced a rear collision, but they are scary, especially considering the number of drivers who don't stop.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Wow that's horrible. And of course the POS didn't stop. Good outcome considering what happened.

Bedwards, I'm going to use this as my excuse for not having fenders from now on.
    dang

mtbr member
    Man bedwards when it comes to pics you always beats us all. I think mtbr will make a calendar for you. Does anyone know a software/online site where you can create calenders?

Mtbx I sent best wises to your coworker across the ocean. Hope she recovers soon!

I am not having my best days. Yesterday evening I forgot my lock at work which I discovered this morning when I arrived at the customer building. Rushed over and found it still lying where I put it down last night. Then I discovered that I forgot my battery lights but I was lucky, could leave early and made it home in daylight.

The rides made up for everything. Slightly freezing this morning, 8C on the way home. Sunny both ways, simply a lovely day.

mtbr member
    Safe ride in and back. No rain. Not too cold.

Moderator Moderator
    Beautiful photo Bedwards! Thanks everyone for the well wishes for my fellow bikecommuter. No word on what happened to the driver, if anything. I think I will call and at least be a squeaky wheel on the need to investigate and punish drivers who hit people on bikes. Nice ride yesterday, it has been relatively mild, not below freezing for a while. That last flat in the work driveway was from a brand new super sharp 1" nail - c'mon people keep the nails in your truck/work cart etc.!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Wow I had a lot of catching up to do! It's good (and motivating) to read through. My dog needed to have a cracked tooth removed yesterday, so no commute for me. Florida is in the swing of "unique" weather. In the morning it's nice and cool (about 73į) but so much so it's FOGGY. Yesterday by mid afternoon it was 91į F!

I was trying to stay low on "upgrades" and "bike purchases". I'm failing miserably. My bike was featured with a mirror, but was only available in the European models. After some research, I learned it was the Ergotec M-99. I found one on eBay with free shipping.

I'm a "big" guy and I found I didn't like wearing "shorts" with a waistband because on a few rides, the waistband started to dig into me. So while i'm not crazy about looking like I'm stuffed in a sausage casing riding in bibs is more comfortable. I have a few pairs of cheap ones. I found a pair of Assos bibs being discounted for 40% off. This will be my most expensive piece of cycling equipment.

Now with the temperatures dipping into the 70s (and soon 50s/60s) on the ride in and knowing that daylight savings time ends this weekend, the commutes in are going to be much cooler. Bontrager, like many other manufacturers, makes "Arm Warmers", "Leg Warmers", and "Shoe Covers". Well yesterday Bontrager put all the previous model year gear on sale. I was thinking the leg warmers might be the way to go in Florida so that I can ride in with them on, but ride home in just bibs. I was completely undecided about the arm warmers, but they were "$19".

So needless to say, I'll be packing my lunch for the month of November.

CB of the East
    Man bedwards when it comes to pics you always beats us all. I think mtbr will make a calendar for you. Does anyone know a software/online site where you can create calenders?
    Walmart

That last flat in the work driveway was from a brand new super sharp 1" nail - c'mon people keep the nails in your truck/work cart etc.!
    A local friend just posted a picture of a nail straight through his tire and coming out the other side of his carbon rim.

Yesterday's commute home included meeting my wife and her friend at some local trails. They were on fatties and I was on my 29er. We went back to our place for dinner and drinks. They I was up at 5:30 to ride in with my wife. Good times.

Oh and in other news, I stripped and replaced the whole drive-train on my cross bike over the weekend. I changed the gearing over from the stupid "cross specific" 46T/36T to 50T/34T to increase the range in both directions. The rings and jockey pulleys had somewhere around 9000 miles on them. Since I knew I was replaceing everything I wore it into the ground. I think the chain measured around 1.5
    Not calendar worthy.

mtbr member
    Last night I was stopped by a dude on a Walmart bike asking if there was a bike shop around. I got off my bike and briefly took a look at his bike. His rear hub was loose, so the tire was wobbling around. I recommended a few things and went on my merry way. Sometimes I don't realize how big of a bike nerd I am. If I had been carrying wrenches, I probably would have tried to fix his wheel right then and there. My wife is probably glad I rode home instead.

Rain all day today. Probably tomorrow too. I'm driving. The weather is supposed to clear up for the weekend, which is nice since I am going to a mtb festival and plan on riding a lot. It'll be cold, but not too wet if the trails dry out a bit.

mtbr member
    Bedwards I was more looking at something free that creates a pdf to share.

Sockeyous I know that feeling. I always fix and adjust bikes in the neighbourhood, especially in spring when all the bikes are taken out again.

Rides were nice again today. First ride home in the dark this afternoon and noticed that my front battery light is not much of a help :-/ it is more to be seen rather then seeing something myself.

Tomorrow is a holiday here and I took friday off, so I have plenty of time to watch the rain while curing my cold that came up today....

CB of the East
    Bedwards I was more looking at something free that creates a pdf to share.
    I see a 2020 MTBR Commuter calendar thread starting with submissions for each month. We can vote on them. Then somebody with too much time on their hands (cyclingdutchman) can format the pictures on one of those templates and distribute it.

(Edit) Nevermind, I figured I'd try it.
    https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...list-2020.html

I still think a collection of photos from all the commuters here would probably be more fun.

mtbr member
    Man that is so scary! I feel blessed to be on a cycling path when the traffic exceeds 30mph/50kph here in the Netherlands...but today i had to brake hard 2 times for drivers not respecting right of way situations when i kinda expected them to respect the signs, well nothing compared to what you described!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

NDD
    mtbr member
    I see a 2020 MTBR Commuter calendar thread starting with submissions for each month. We can vote on them. Then somebody with too much time on their hands (cyclingdutchman) can format the pictures on one of those templates and distribute it.

I still think a collection of photos from all the commuters here would probably be more fun.
    Lol! You had some time there, huh?
    dang

CB of the East
    ^^Really not into the task at hand at work. I didn't get real fancy with the formatting.

NDD
    mtbr member
    ^^Really not into the task at hand at work. I didn't get real fancy with the formatting.
    Yeah I understand that. I'm still always jealous you actually get snow.

I should post a really unappealing pic from my 1.5 mile commute . Should I go for historic brick houses, factory, or homeless folks under the interstate?
    dang

mtbr member

Pirelli was yesterday!!

Will go through my pics to see if I actually find 12 nice enough pics ....

Who's next, Jeremy?

CB of the East
    Yeah I understand that. I'm still always jealous you actually get snow.

I should post a really unappealing pic from my 1.5 mile commute . Should I go for historic brick houses, factory, or homeless folks under the interstate?
    I'd probably go with the houses.

Dutchman, you don't need 12 if we do a group effort.

I carpooled in today. Really rainy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Broke two personal records this morning. It was a fast commute in. It was only 73 degrees, but 98% humidity. My glasses were fogged going into my Personal Record on "High School to 475". My new, local brewery is having an Halloween/Octoberfest special with two hotdogs and two brews. I'm thinking of a pit stop on the way home.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Man, lot's of action here since I last looked in. Super, duper busy at work and have not had a lot of time. But I was able to scan the posts and get caught up. MTBX, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope the healing process goes well and she is not turned off on biking. GREAT photo bedwards!

Not much to report here. It's been really cold in the mornings (below freezing) but dry.

Being that it's end of October, I was just reviewing my yearly goals of 6000 miles riding and 400,000 feet of climbing. I'm right on target for the 6000 mile goal as I am just over 5000 miles for the year. Woefully behind the 400,000 foot goal - I'm currently at 320,000 feet and am on pace to finish about 25,000 feet behind my goal. Given the limited number of days left in the year, I would need to climb approximately another 800 feet per day to reach the goal. Definitely don't have that in me

NDD
    mtbr member
    I don't know if any of y'all have read about this guy who did the great divide race on a Monocog in 2005 (I'm sure it's old news to somebody). I thought it was a neat story. 2500 miles and 22 days is a big effort on a single speed. The guy is a madman.

http://www.carsstink.org/peterson/Tu...ainTurtle.html

One thing I'm wondering is how good of an idea it was for him to cold set his frame from the 110 mm bmx rear hub spacing to 135 mm mountain bike spacing. Doesn't that seem like a hell of a lot? From what I've read it does. If not, I'm thinking I'd actually be happy cold setting to 130 and replacing my hubs with my single speed Surly New hubs. They're NOS so still cup and cone, but that beats me trying to sell them. I like the Alex rims on it currently if only because they're very sturdy.
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    Wow posted that in the wrong thread. I guess it's here to see
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow posted that in the wrong thread. I guess it's here to see
    Pretty funny that you posted this, I know Kent as he and I worked together many years ago. He's a super nice and really interesting guy, I believe he lives down in Eugene Oregon now and works for Bike Friday. He's written a cycling blog for many years that is fun to read:

https://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

NDD
    mtbr member
    Pretty funny that you posted this, I know Kent as he and I worked together many years ago. He's a super nice and really interesting guy, I believe he lives down in Eugene Oregon now and works for Bike Friday. He's written a cycling blog for many years that is fun to read:

Not surprised that someone on this site knows him. Actually specifically you, being up that way and all. I'm glad to hear he's actually as pretty cool cat. I got a lot of joy from this post and his blog leading up to it.

He seems to be one heck of a cyclist!
    dang

CB of the East

Comments on his blog have been left. Us bloggers have to stick together. There is an impressive list of bike blogs on the right margin of his page. Mine was notably absent.

Windy AF here today. It's all good though because I thought it was going to be rainy too. And it's Friday.

mtbr member
    Easy ride in, good weather at 40 degrees. I work twelve hour shifts and head home at 0500. Security is an issue at that time as I do come across the occasional human threat. I have a 1200 lumen helmet light and two 700 lumen torches on the bar. I have a semi auto knife on my pack sternum strap . I have managed not to get mugged yet after many years of commuting at night. Been bike commuting for 28 years. I have seriously considered packing my 38 Special revolver as a last resort.. never have resorted to this previously however there are some dodgy drug crazed folks out there lately.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That's a pretty good run, hope it continues without any mugging, stabbing or sooting. Where are you riding Jupiter?

I used to read Kent's blog, I forgot all about it, I'll have to get back over there.

I drove on Friday, we got 3.75" of rain and winds gusting over 40mph. Lots of flooding, trees down and power outages, but I'm on top of a hill and my power was back on by 10 p.m. My route was OK but lots of photos of cars underwater and roads washed away all over Vermont. The first image here is the best one I have seen https://www.wcax.com/content/news/VI...564287641.html Bedwards, thanks for sending over those Maine utility crews, saw that on the news. Cold night, 23F this morning. Gonna help out at the LBS today as the woman that got hit by a car won't be back for a bit.
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 1 Week Ago at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I road on the 31st to finish out October with over 200 miles of commuting. I'll see if I can do it again in November, but the weather is definitely turning. The 31st was raining and in the 30s.

I like the calendar ideas being kicked around. I'll have to start keeping my camera more accessable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I feel like a real commuter again.

I finished my first week of commuting to a new job. Before I'd been coasting 2 blocks down hill leaving at 9:45am...now I'm out the door at 5am for a 5mi commute of rolling hills. Pretty easy but definitely an adjustment. Had hard rain Wednesday and falling snow on Thursday.

There's a YMCA a couple blocks from work so I got a membership there to shower, change and clean up a little. Hitting the sauna after work is a nice way to unwind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Sorry guys Iíve been quiet recently. After my flats I was off the bike waiting for a new rear tire. Then on vacation a few days. I hope to get back into it when Iím back in town. But itís pretty here.

mtbr member
    I live in Boise ID. low crime rates but we do have our share of miscreants. piece of cake after surviving Los Angeles.left there a long time ago.nice pic Jeremy, i remember that unique terrain

mtbr member
    A very short portion of my commute is on a six-lane arterial road with a right-hand diamond lane for bus/taxis/bikes. Due to very long-term construction, they've closed the left hand turn lane at one major intersection, causing congestion.

Their obvious solution to this congestion problem was to remove SOME BUT NOT ALL of the signs saying the right lane is reserved for bus/taxi/bikes, and provide no other related signage whatsoever.

So who's allowed to drive in the diamond lane now? Whoever is the angriest, apparently.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter58 View Post
    piece of cake after surviving Los Angeles.left there a long time ago.
    Snake Plissken? Is that you?
    dang

banned
    Oct 2019
    Funny. Cause I have installed front XT brake, and in the back is still Shimano non-series, cause I cannot make the new hose go through the frame, and my favorite mechanic had day off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My repaired rear wheel came back saturday and I am now back on the main bike. Very good because it is the only one with both long fenders and dynamohub and lights. It rained this morning the whole way but it was still 11C so it was ok. Ride home was dry and it was cloudy, so really dark. But now I have my de"lighted" bike back

CB of the East
    Is it a de-lighted bike or a re-lighted bike?
    Bedwards, thanks for sending over those Maine utility crews, saw that on the news.
    No problem. I'm surprised they could spare them because a lot of Maine was missing power too. I didn't ride on Thursday because of the rain but I did ride in on Friday with the crazy wind. After I went through a huge oak came down across the main road I ride and took out power.

We did a 20+ MTB ride/brewery tour yesterday. Good stuff but I'm not sure about technical terrain after 3 breweries (out of the 5 we visited). The ABV was high but the pours were small.

Nobody's going to talk about the time change? OK, I will. This morning was the first time I left in the light in a while. But it should be totally dark for my commute home. There I got that out of the way.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nobody's going to talk about the time change? OK, I will. This morning was the first time I left in the light in a while. But it should be totally dark for my commute home. There I got that out of the way.
    I've been riding in the dark in the morning since the end of August/early September so no change for me.

Can't wait till we ditch time change around here. Outdated and useless concept.

CB of the East
    ^^Yeah, but you leave stupid early.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter58 View Post
    .....nice pic Jeremy, i remember that unique terrain
    I am curious where you remember it from, this was taken in Castillfollit de la Roca, Spain. Is there a another place that looks like this, or have you been to this one?

mtbr member
    The time change was already a week ago here, so I wondered too why nobody said a thing. Now I know

CB of the East
    I wasn't sure you even did daylight savings time in Germany. I thought it was an American invention that other countries though was silly. I could take it or leave it. I kind of like the summer nights that stay light late but then appreciate the extra daylight in the mornings when the clocks change. But it is a hassle.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Here in Washington State a law was passed and signed to stay on Daylight Savings time year round. Since regulation of time in the US is delegated to the Federal Government, not the states, we now have to wait for US Congress to vote on the matter. Oregon has also passed a similar law, California is expected to in 2020 and the Canadian Province of British Columbia has said that if the three western US states change to permanent DST, they will too.

Hope it happens soon.

bedwards, you actually still go to a polling place to cast your vote? How quaint.

Cold and fog this morning. Was on ice patrol all the way in. Rain coming towards the end of the week.

CB of the East
    Maine has a DST related bill pop up just about every year but they never go anywhere. I'm happy to be in the same time zone as the neighboring states.

What's the other voting option? Absentee ballot? You have to remember to request one in advance. But yeah, I did stop to vote. Twice actually. The first time the polls weren't open for another 20 minutes so I rode around and killed some time. I was there when the polls opened. There were 3 of us there. It was very quaint.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Florida also was going to stay on Daylights Savings Time, but we're on hold as well. I'm actually having mixed feelings on the "dawn" commute. Under darkness, i have a lot of lights and a lot of reflective gear. I illuminate. Now that I'm leaving with the sun coming up, there is a lot more "fog" and there several places on the ride where the sunrise can be almost blinding. It's much different.

Now that I am no longer leaving under the cover of darkness, I wanted to see what it would be like to do the morning commute completely in Turbo. I broke 4 personal records on the ride in.

How was your commute today?-img_4390.jpg

How was your commute today?-img_4391.jpg

CB of the East
    I like the pic of the fast bike next to the fast police interceptor. I think your bike got 4 PRs on the way in. How much was the battery down? Do you charge it at work?

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    What's the other voting option? Absentee ballot? You have to remember to request one in advance. But yeah, I did stop to vote. Twice actually. The first time the polls weren't open for another 20 minutes so I rode around and killed some time. I was there when the polls opened. There were 3 of us there. It was very quaint.
    We are completely vote by mail here. No polling places anymore.

CB of the East
    You are totally missing out on the red white and blue curtains and special pens that don't really work!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I like the pic of the fast bike next to the fast police interceptor. I think your bike got 4 PRs on the way in. How much was the battery down? Do you charge it at work?
    Just less than 1/2 (9 miles):

How was your commute today?-9miles.jpg

I have not charged at work prior to today. Typically I use my ride into work as a "workout" where I use "Tour", then on my ride home I mix it up. I have a "unique" ride home. I'm originally from the Flint area of Michigan and grew up with "Koegel" hot dogs. You can only get them in Michigan. Well there is a company "Koegel's on the road" that travel to Florida twice a year and today is that day. My son needed the car today, so I had to plan out my commute home by way of the Hotel that is hosting Koegel's on the road. One of my panniers is lined with one of those "mylar" Hot/Cold bags so that I can get my hot dogs home. My return home is going to be close to 20 miles and I want to do it in Turbo to get home that much faster. So for the first time, I brought my charger with me to make sure my bike is fully charged. Typically, I do not charge.

mtbr member
    Overhere in europe we had an online petition against the dst that got enough votes to put it on the agenda of the european union. To be successful it will need an agreement between most members of the eu, so in the light of the current political zeitgeist here, I see little chance at the moment that dst is going to be cancelled. In winter I dont care about it much but in spring its less convenient...

Nice rides today. Foggy this morning and lots of rain on the way home. In town some streets were flooded and from 3pm on, the clouds were so thick that it was almost dark already.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I have a "unique" ride home. I'm originally from the Flint area of Michigan and grew up with "Koegel" hot dogs. You can only get them in Michigan. Well there is a company "Koegel's on the road" that travel to Florida twice a year and today is that day. My son needed the car today, so I had to plan out my commute home by way of the Hotel that is hosting Koegel's on the road. One of my panniers is lined with one of those "mylar" Hot/Cold bags so that I can get my hot dogs home. My return home is going to be close to 20 miles and I want to do it in Turbo to get home that much faster. So for the first time, I brought my charger with me to make sure my bike is fully charged. Typically, I do not charge.
    Wow I hope it worked out well. That's some serious hot dog devotion!
    dang

Moderator Moderator
    Had a half day training today and they said you must bring your laptop, we are wanting to save paper and be green. So I toted the extra weight of the largest laptop work will provide, plus clothes plus oatmeal plus coffee (good call, none provided until 10:30), plus 2 phones etc etc. I was feeling strong but a little disgruntled that I did not actually need the laptop for training.

I did get to sample part of the not-quite -open bike path, and when I approached an excavator at the 1/2 mile mark (meaning a mile would be added to my trip if they sent me packing), I was relieved when my patient "walk the bike and wait for operator to acknowledge me" approach earned me a pass through the work area.

Later at work a clock that was still an hour ahead bugged me in a meeting room, so I got a tall guy to get it down, thinking it was an easy fix of spinning the adjusting dial on the back... Nope, this was a new animal, an analog atomic clock, and there was no dial. The settings were on Eastern time and yes for daylight savings time, but it had not adjusted. So a button was pressed and the hands started to advance forward, spinning automatically. I was like, is there a backward button? Nope, so we hung it back on the wall, still spinning forward in a time warp, as we did not want to wait for it to advance 11 more hours. I am curious if it is still spinning and what the next meeting group will think of that. Or will the "atomic" kick in and stop it at the correct time?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Wow I hope it worked out well. That's some serious hot dog devotion!
    It was fantastic: https://www.relive.cc/view/v1vjp79eNY6

NDD
    mtbr member
    First ride in to work on my new SS mountain bike setup. I recently did a lot of basic maintenance, repacked hubs, replaced bottom bracket, replaced sticking freewheel. Now I also put a larger freewheel on it because I'd been having some trouble really getting it up hills and tackling certain rock features when going upslope. However, having fixed the drag in all of the spinny bits,I wish I'd have used the same size freewheel, because now it's like really only geared for going uphill in singletrack. Amazing how much easier it is to pedal when the bottom bracket doesn't feel like a coffee grinder!

So... How was it? It was a lot like running 1.5 miles to work. Actually a good way to get exercise in with such a short ride! Cool and cloudy. Very gray, very November.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice commute Jelako. If beer and brats is part of your daily commute, your doing it right!

NDD, the correct gearing is always the external struggle with single-speeds, right?

Coming to work this morning something felt off with my back brake. Examining the bike when I got to the office I saw that the whole caliper is loose and moving every time I pulled the brake lever! (these are disk brakes). Yikes, need to pay better attention to my bike maintenance!

NDD
    mtbr member

NDD, the correct gearing is always the external struggle with single-speeds, right?

Coming to work this morning something felt off with my back brake. Examining the bike when I got to the office I saw that the whole caliper is loose and moving every time I pulled the brake lever! (these are disk brakes). Yikes, need to pay better attention to my bike maintenance!
    Yes it was easier when my single speed was a road bike. Oh well, I'll work on not mashing and slow down and work on mtb skills that I can do around my neighborhood/the park.

Good thing it wasn't your front brake!
    dang

mtbr member
    Jelako I thought kickstands are a european invention and hardly known in the americas, but you have one on your bike I see!

Woodway that reminded me of when I discovered that almost all of my rack and fendermount bolts were loose...dont worry it happens to the best of us

In a german mtb forum, I am participating in the wintercup competition. You get 1 point for every 15minutes of cycling (or skiing in case you live in the mountains). So I am steadily gathering 5 points a day for the round trip. Jeremy you want to participate? The nr2 in the overall ranking is riding just over 40km a day so you should beat that easily.

Grey day again, but at least no rain. Luckily I could leave early today and rode in daylight both ways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I rode my bike today. It was chilly but very pretty. I even did a little road riding as a stretch was closed to car traffic.

Iím not sure why it was closed though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jelako I thought kickstands are a european invention and hardly known in the americas, but you have one on your bike I see!
    The Super Commuter is VERY European influenced! As I tell people all the time, the Super Commuter weighs over 50 lbs...so i REALLY don't want my bike to tip over, but just as important i REALLY don't want to pick up my bike if it fell. :-)

mtbr member
    The Super Commuter is VERY European influenced! As I tell people all the time, the Super Commuter weighs over 50 lbs...so i REALLY don't want my bike to tip over, but just as important i REALLY don't want to pick up my bike if it fell. :-)[/QUOTE]

I can imagine that! My bike weighs 40lbs/18kg and it is not too bad, but not easy either. But I like the kickstand more because I can simply take it out of the rack from between the other bike, put it on the kickstand, then putting on bottle, pannier, close the pannier, put on gloves and helmet, and go. No leaning against anything, no tangling up, just parking in a free space.

I might think different on the whole thing when I had a lot of climbing or stop&go to do, because weight counts there. But on my flat easy commute, it takes a while to get to speed but once it rolls, it rolls good.

CB of the East
    I can't imagine having a bike so heavy that I had to consider that picking it up would be difficult if it tipped over. Of course, I don't use those heavy kickstands either.

I took an extended route in with shorts. I thought it was 37F but I think it was closer to 30F. My nether regions were chilly. I did squeak in a late season KOM by 2 seconds.

mtbr member
    Wind chill was close to 0C or 32F this morning and worse riding. I returned twice to upgrade things. The watch cap was not enough. Helmet is now taped. The YMCA has a flimsy bike rack sitting on grass and not anchored in any way. So I locked up to a gate to the after school programs play yard.

mtbr member
    Half inch of slushy snow this morning.

I really should re-assemble my mountain bike.

Or at least take the deep carbon wheels off my road bike. They don't really look the part on a snow ride.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

NDD
    mtbr member
    Maybe they were hoping everyone would have bikes on it so stealing it be a major pain in the butt.
    dang

CB of the East
    The return trip home last night was just as freezing. It was supposed to hit near 50F yesterday but by the time I left it was closer to 30F. I put on long riding gear again this morning. (I wasn't chasing a KOM so I didn't need the extra 2% freedom of motion. )

I did harvest about 4lbs of oyster mushrooms on the way in. Natures gifts. I'm planning on hitching a ride home with my wife this afternoon because it will at least be raining and at worst be snowing.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Whew, people already getting snow...here comes winter.

Shorts are a bold move this time of year bedwards Congrats on the KOM though!

Really foggy this morning, temps around 40F/4.5C.

mtbr member
    Maybe they were hoping everyone would have bikes on it so stealing it be a major pain in the butt.
    I lifted it handily, and they move it to mow underneath. Two guys and a pickup truck and the rack with just my bike is gone! I'd love to donate the funds for something safer and covered, but not that flush!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I lifted it handily, and they move it to mow underneath. Two guys and a pickup truck and the rack with just my bike is gone! I'd love to donate the funds for something safer and covered, but not that flush!
    Ha, I wouldn't put my bike on that either!

Beautiful autumn day, if not a tad chilly. I got a few extra miles in because I went to a talk at a university, which means I got a little ride time in park while all of the trees are so pretty. No pics (I was running close to being only on time!).
    dang

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Snowy this morning, but only enough to make my bike a real mess. Beautiful ride home. I've gotta get my phone it and snap some shots.

Moderator Moderator
    Snowed here too! Mostly melted on the road. 19F this morning Weather service says ...Bursts Of Moderate To Heavy Snow Expected This Morning..and winds of 10-20 mph, so not too sad that I am driving my buddy while his power steering gets repaired. A couple pix from our walk....

How was your commute today?-pb080008.jpg

How was your commute today?-pb080017.jpg

mtbr member
    First commute of the week, and it's the first winter-ish ride of the season. No snow, but there was some ice where puddles had frozen over. Temps were in the low 20s.

I was off Monday, and it rained most of the other days. I chose to drive on one nice day, since my son hadn't been feeling well the night before and I needed to be available in case he got worse. It felt good to get back on the bike today, but my face is still not quite used to riding in these temps.

CB of the East
    Well look at that. The snow missed us but it was in the low 20s with patchy ice this morning. I took the mountain bike in case the ice got too bad and I needed to ride in the dirt. I was a few miles into my commute when I noticed a broken spoke. I almost turned back but decided to nurse it in. I couldn't have done that with rim brakes. I also grabbed the last bunch of oyster mushrooms off the tree I've been harvesting on. They were frozen.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I've got a good "small town" story.

A few days back I ran through broken glass in the bike lane. It was dark so I was on top of it before I saw it, and my back tire flatted. My city of about 11,000 east of Seattle uses a 3rd party service to log issues to the city and when I got to work I logged on and dutifully reported the glass and dropped a pin on the map. The next day I get a "Issue Resolved and Closed" notification, so yesterday when I rode to work I expected to find a nice clear bike lane. Nope.

After arriving at the office, I looked up the email address for the City Manager and sent him a polite note about the issue. Within the hour he responded that he had sent the road supervisor out to look at the location, and the road supervisor had verified that yes, the glass was still there even though the street sweeper crew had reported it cleaned up the day before. He apologized and said that they were calling the sweeper back to clean it up.

This morning, no glass. That's what I call responsive City Government.

Dry upper 30's here. Be careful in that snow everyone!

mtbr member
    Wow mtbx that cold with so much wind, brrrrr. Woodway you can call the city to have them clean up something? Overhere they clean most roads only once a month or so and no one to call in between. Not for nothing the germans invented those heavy plus tires.

Nice rides yesterday and today. Dry and just above freezing in the morning. This morning there was a dead roedeer lying next to the road, not that nice to see. Someone has a damaged car from that I guess..Today was sunny and I had a magnificant sunset, the most colourful part was exactly when I was riding in the open. Lucky me.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Bedwards I believe there are emergeny spokes out there, that are basically a hook, cable and barrel adjuster. You can mount them without removing the cassette!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Iím giving myself the hypothermia award today. I rode home at 3C in a windy driving rain. It sucked and I was very very cold. But I made it and I still like riding my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Way to tough it out jeremy. Almost-freezing wind driven rain is pretty much the worst.

CB of the East
    Bedwards I believe there are emergeny spokes out there, that are basically a hook, cable and barrel adjuster. You can mount them without removing the cassette!
    I've never seen those. It was actually the nipple that broke off. The spoke was fine. This bike has wheels with VERY SENSITIVE NIPPLES. This is the second one that has broken off. Odd because they are Reynolds wheels so no slouch. It is fixed now but the wheel sounds like a maraca because it has 2 nipple parts floating around between the double walls.

Yesterday I helped a local snowmobile club repair a bridge that I use on the trails. They were very appreciative. A little good will goes a long way in trail sharing.
    How was your commute today?-bridge.jpg
    Remember the beautiful leaves from 2 weeks ago? Of course you do.
    How was your commute today?-leaves.jpg
    This is what it looked like today. Leaf peeping season doesn't last long.
    How was your commute today?-noleaves.jpg

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Iím giving myself the hypothermia award today. I rode home at 3C in a windy driving rain. It sucked and I was very very cold. But I made it and I still like riding my bike.
    Wow good on ya. Be careful with that! Though I'm guessing you had the right gear.

Today's commute in was 36F (2C) degrees. It's going to get colder and snow throughout the day so that's fun. In spite of the narrower tires, 43c, I took the geared bike. Those gears will come in handy I think! It'll be 25F (-4C) when I leave, so hopefully any precip will be crunchy, but it'll probably be a slush fest.
    dang

CB of the East
    Today's commute in was 36F (2C) degrees. It's going to get colder and snow throughout the day so that's fun. In spite of the narrower tires, 43c, I took the geared bike. Those gears will come in handy I think! It'll be 25F (-4C) when I leave, so hopefully any precip will be crunchy, but it'll probably be a slush fest.
    I had to check where you were again because that is exactly the same forecast we are looking at in Maine. I went the other direction and took the fatbike in anticipation of the snow.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I had to check where you were again because that is exactly the same forecast we are looking at in Maine. I went the other direction and took the fatbike in anticipation of the snow.
    Wise, but I hadn't thought to throw mtb tires on the drop bar bike. I mostly want gears and disc brakes. Current mountain bike setup is lacking both, though 2.4" wide tires would be nice and comfy.

Nice bridge, btw!
    dang

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hovering around 30f today and a little snowy. Made for a great fat bike ride

mtbr member
    Bedwards that indeed looks very different, even the bike looks different

James that looks very tough! Nice sticker on your helmet too

I started without my glasses today and regretted it when I came into the open and had a headwind combined with -2C. Further in I was almost hit by a car coming from the opposite direction that suddenly swerved my way around a dead rabbit. At least the sunrise was nice. The way home was uneventful. I will be on a businesstrip and off the bike until friday, bummer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

Today was cold -1C but dry so that was great. I did slip off the pedal in a wet spot and took a tumble. Nothing broke except a scrape on my elbow. Hope everyone had good safe rides today.

As for my wet weather gear. I donít do waterproof but I do wear almost exclusively wool so at least I stay warm while wet.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Pleasantly surprised that it was not a slush fest. The snow and whatever else under there had frozen pretty quickly. Now it's going to be about 13F (-10C) tomorrow morning, and there are a lot of spots with standing water on the road, too, so I'm guessing things'll get pretty icy...Might just walk tomorrow.
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    It was a fine bike ride at 12F (-11C). Roads were mostly ok. Someone thought I was my boss and saw him a few minutes after I got in. They called him crazy for biking in today. I'll let him take the heat.
    dang

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Glad you are OK jeremy.

Ice is the worst NDD, unless you have studded tires...

Fairly warm today, 47F/8C but absolutely dumping rain.

I focus on keeping three areas dry/warm when riding in the rain: core, hands and feet. I layer lightweight merino wool under a lightweight Showers Pass jacket. I wear merino wool socks and cover my shoes with Showers Pass shoe covers. For gloves, I bring one pair for the morning and another for the ride home since the morning gloves won't be dry in time. Fleece-lined tights get wet but my legs stay warm (and they dry fast). This combination has served me well and I'm pretty comfortable in the rain.

mtbr member
    About five or six inches of snow over night, but with so much heat still in the ground, at least half of it melted down into a slush layer underneath, even on unsalted surfaces, despite the -10C temperatures this morning.

This resulted in a weird-liquid-water-at-minus-8C trail condition this morning, although the powder snow on top prevented too much wheel spray from freezing on the bike.

I probably should have had my studded tires on for the ride home, but I do not.

CB of the East
    I forgot what a slog the 12 mile fatbike ride on the trail/roads can be in a winter storm. It was sleeting pretty good for most of the ride home with plenty of dense accumulation. Everything is still a mess today and I'm avoiding the main roads on a bike so I took the truck. I guess I'm ready for the lake to freeze so I can cut that distance down to 8 miles. But it's still really early for that to happen.

Sounds like a lot of people have the same weather. I'm still considering tomorrows commute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It was a very cool 60įF (15.6įC) this morning with some of the most intense fog. I actually received a weather alert, warning of the dense fog with severely impacted visibility. The air had so much moisture, my glasses were all beaded up and my helmet was actually dripping as if a slow rain. I did not like the intense fog. Luckily it was burning off the closer I got to work, but I had water beaded up on my glasses, my helmet, my bike and throughout my beard.

Mad respect to you northern guys that does this in the colder temperatures where this level of moisture would have surely been ice.

I actually busted out the leg & arm warmers for the ride in. I won't need them for the ride home.

mtbr member
    Jeremy, glad you are ok!

I commuted on a business trip with an airbus A319 and a rental car and feel bad. I rather would have taken on your rain and slush. No clue on how I can bear his until friday morning...need some mental support here. At least, there is a bikeshop next to the hotel and I checked out the bikes in their showroom through the window.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Unfortunately, taking tomorrow off. 4į f scared me a little. I'm not sure I've got the gear for it. Hopefully, I'll get a swim in instead.

Moderator Moderator
    Nice job on the bridge bedwards!

Had my mtb commuter studded up for yesterday's snow but the roads were too bad to try it, 5" of oatmeal everywhere, , plus an ice crust on the back roads. 70 car crashes (the reported ones). This morning it's 3F so we are off to quite a start here in VT.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespc View Post
    Unfortunately, taking tomorrow off. 4į f scared me a little. I'm not sure I've got the gear for it. Hopefully, I'll get a swim in instead.
    That beard must create some drag in the water.

Nice job on the bridge bedwards!

Had my mtb commuter studded up for yesterday's snow but the roads were too bad to try it, 5" of oatmeal everywhere, , plus an ice crust on the back roads. 70 car crashes (the reported ones). This morning it's 3F so we are off to quite a start here in VT.
    It was fun to get out and meet the snowmobile club members. There is another bridge that needs attention. I'm hoping I can get out and help with that one too.

We were just about 10F here this morning. I went with my full winter setup and was not cold. The ride seemed pretty exhausting though. I grabbed my 26" mountain bike that still had the studs installed from last season. Good thing too because the roads were really icy.
    But I'm not complaining (much)

mtbr member
    This morning I found my studded tires, still mounted on the spare wheels, in a dark corner of the basement. Put only the front one on, as that cassette is questionable. I was impressed it held air and had minimal rotor drag. Timely as there was a lot of overnight refreezing of melting snow from yesterday.

I'm gonna assume this will get me through until December when I can have a look at getting that rear wheel going.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Wow, seems like an early winter for a bunch of you. Stay safe!

Dutchman, I feel for ya. Perhaps rent a bike at that shop and get a quick morning or evening ride in?

It was 50F/10C this morning (unseasonably warm) and dry. Supposed to be close to 60F/15.5C for the ride home tonight. But rain coming back tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I haven't been riding much lately. This morning was only my second commute in about the last two weeks. It was nice and cold though. Temps were somewhere between 13F and 16F and we still have a little snow on the ground from two nights ago. Winter seems to have arrived in a hurry. One day was 62, the next morning there was snow on the ground and temps struggled to get past the freezing mark. I'm not accustomed to the cold yet.

Members who have read this thread: 146