How was your commute today? - Page 126- Mtbr.com
Page 126 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126
Results 25,001 to 25,097 of 25097
    NDD
    mtbr member
    Seems like too much dough to spend unless you habe another purpose for it. Just my opinion.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Sounds your day was like tuesday here jeremy. It cooled down again luckily, today was only 17C all day. Sunday issupposed to be 37C again, we will see.

Jelako you are right that is much money but when you like the bike and have the money, why not?

Will check the habenero website bedwards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dang z1r, that's crazy. I'm glad things didn't escalate further.

Extended my 1.5 mile commute to 14.5 today because I just learned my office has a shower for bike commuters. Wow. Nice to rinse off anyway.

Common theme today, was going through the park and this woman in front of me on the path was running. She had headphones on and I called out but you no avail, so I went to pass, and right then she runs in front of me to get to a water fountain. Fortunately I halfway anticipated this and wasn't really booking it, so I was able to stop inches from hitting her. She did apologize, which was nice, and hopefully she didn't hear me grumbling "you wouldn't have to be sorry if you didn't have ear buds in and bothered to look around" (highly censored).

Here in Buenos Aires, the bike paths are pretty dangerous...earbud zombie joggers/ walkers, offleash dogs, two-abreast riders/ walkers/ joggers. Yelling & bells get no response until you're right up on them. The only thing that gets their attention is a loud turkey gobble, Chewbakka growl, or a "MOVE!" in English.
    I guess foreign sounds get attention somehow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Seems like too much dough to spend unless you habe another purpose for it. Just my opinion.

If u can afford it, why not? I think my “commuter” is somewhere around $5,000 now, pretty ludicrous when i think about it.

I wussed out on my commute this week, been having bouts of heavy rains and thunder. As i drove instead, it ends up i would have missed most of it. Ill just justify it to myslef by saying there were three lightning injuries due to the weather, which is exceptional here. I did try to atone for it and jumped on bike last night and rode for an hour and half.

Moderator Moderator

How quickly do y'all get ready in the mornings? I need a solid 45 minutes to drink coffee.
    Reallly slowly, but I enjoy it. I get up at 5- 5:15 and leave the house by 7:45-8. That's about an hour of coffee, news and surfing, 45 minutes of walking the dog in the woods, maybe some frisbee tosses for him, and also packing breakfast, more coffee, and any clothes for the day that are not already at the office. Finally, changing and getting out the door with the selected bicycle and my gear.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    If u can afford it, why not? I think my “commuter” is somewhere around $5,000 now, pretty ludicrous when i think about it.

I wussed out on my commute this week, been having bouts of heavy rains and thunder. As i drove instead, it ends up i would have missed most of it. Ill just justify it to myslef by saying there were three lightning injuries due to the weather, which is exceptional here. I did try to atone for it and jumped on bike last night and rode for an hour and half.
    Look, I'm not saying I wouldn't like to have more bikes, but could think of other things to do with the money if the bike doesn't meet an unfilled niche, even if the money is expendable.

Bedwards, that's crazy. 15 minutes. I'm guessing you do most of your prep the night before, but dang.

MTBX, that's more my style, but maybe even a bit too relaxed! I'd consider something likethat but somehow I always seem to be the first in the office and second or third last to leave.

dang

Moderator Moderator
    I know there have been some Brooks saddle fans on here. Just saw that the Brooks B17 standard saddle (3 color choices) is the daily special over at BikeTires Direct, $85 from $135.

CB of the East
    Bedwards, that's crazy. 15 minutes. I'm guessing you do most of your prep the night before, but dang.
    That's a minimum. My wife was heading out and I decided to ride with her. I also do all my showering at work. So home is get up, pour coffee, pull on bike clothes and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I know there have been some Brooks saddle fans on here. Just saw that the Brooks B17 standard saddle (3 color choices) is the daily special over at BikeTires Direct, $85 from $135.
    I'm a big WTB saddle fan. $30

Jelako, everybody knows my opinion on buying bikes. Just ask yourself it would bring yourself more joy. If the answer is yes go give it a try. If the answer is meh, you know your answer. No idea about that brand.

I piloted the Habby ti cross bike home at an average of 22.8MPH on my 11 mile work to home segment. Something I never would have imagined possible when I started my daily commute 10 years ago. Also extremely unlikely on the Surly Cross Check it replaced.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    ... my “commuter” is somewhere around $5,000 now, pretty ludicrous when i think about it.
    This math doesn't check out. Divide by miles or km ridden, and then we'll see if it's ludicrous.

Due to a recent wheel buying binge I'm still above 89 cents a kilometer, BTW, but that's in CAD.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Alone I would normally around 30minutes to get up and out the door. But usually I get up with my wife and kids and help them to get ready, then we leave at the same time. In tht case it is an hour, of which I have the first 15 minutes for myself. In that time I dress and eat something.

Busy today. Left work and thats where the pressure started: ride home, pack camping gear for the whole family, get the bikes on the car, drive 2 hrs to the coast, make camp, eat, get kids in bed, now 11pm and finally rest. The reward is 2 full days here, driving back sunday 6 pm.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    This math doesn't check out. Divide by miles or km ridden, and then we'll see if it's ludicrous.

Due to a recent wheel buying binge I'm still above 89 cents a kilometer, BTW, but that's in CAD.
    Yup. As i ride home i often calculate to myself as a Tesla goes by, i could buy a dozen or more of the bike i have. The amount of resources it takes to make just a door you could make who knows how many of my bike. And then the cost to operate and maintain?

mtbr member
    Hey nobody here to open the week yet?

I calculated I am around 13€cent per kilometer now on the main bike. Total distance is currently ~22tkm/14tm. I wonder where you guys and gals all are? I have a Rohloff and by now it should have become cheaper than a chain gearing I guess ;o)) I did include a fair amount of money for replacements etc, but not the money I spent on experiments with brakes and bars.

Weather was nice today, quite windy on the way home.

It might rain this night so maybe I will have to take the heavy fendered beast again tomorrow. I have gotten used to the CX bike and was thinking, maybe I will put some SKS longboards on for those wetter summer days....

CB of the East
    ^^The opening is all yours! I was just waiting for you.

Dutchman I use to have a heavy fendered beast until I bought that ti bike. Now I even take it when the sun is out. We wont consider the cost of ownership on it yet but it is already below $1/km with only 4 months of riding.

My cost of ownership is all over the map. Mountain bikes are way higher than road bikes because of the lower miles. My Cross Check I bought for $700 and sold for $425 and I put 4000km+ on it. Wear items might have been another $150. So somewhere around $0.10/km. My most expensive bike I bought for $3K but it has over 11,000km so that one keeps getting cheaper. My fatbike has about 5000km on it but I'm still in the $0.75/km range. Although if you base it on riding time it would come out a lot better.

I personally like to compare my bike collection cost to people that own pleasure boats. You can own a whole garage full of nice bikes and not come up to the price of a single decent boat which has no practical value.

Nice weather forecast for the foreseeable future! Currently 82F/28C.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Hey nobody here to open the week yet?

I calculated I am around 13€cent per kilometer now on the main bike. Total distance is currently ~22tkm/14tm. I wonder where you guys and gals all are? I have a Rohloff and by now it should have become cheaper than a chain gearing I guess ;o)) I did include a fair amount of money for replacements etc, but not the money I spent on experiments with brakes and bars.

Weather was nice today, quite windy on the way home.

It might rain this night so maybe I will have to take the heavy fendered beast again tomorrow. I have gotten used to the CX bike and was thinking, maybe I will put some SKS longboards on for those wetter summer days....
    I encountered some good wind as well, had it in the back on my way to work so i knew i was in for a treat on the way back, had more then 15k of the 21k headwind on so i was pretty knackered but still managed 20km/h average wohaa!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo under construction

Moderator Moderator
    Nice rides today, although my legs were more tired than expected due to trailwork and yardwork yesterday. We got a popular trail re-opened though, so that was great! Here's a riding vid from when it was first built 5 years ago, not easy!!. https://youtu.be/zRFfVYfYaJs You can see the stringers were just what was available in the forest, and they did not last.

CB of the East
    Skinny bridges, no thank you. One tire slip away from another broken collar bone or worse. Do you ride those?

We did our Tuesday couples commute this morning. Is that bikepooling?

mtbr member
    How was your commute today?-1f49b5ae-0b5b-4a0d-94bb-692850dd20ce.jpg

I did my commute again on the Dummy, was hard on the way back, headwind giving me a good work out on my way home, on the map you can see why no direction is good for me, i allways have it in the front, side and back at a given moment.
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    I've never managed to get the price of a store-bought bike below about $0.25/km CAD.

Chain, cogs, brake pads, and tires etc take over as the cost drivers and it's hard to chip the capital cost much lower than that with the consumables price steady (or rising).

If I took the effort to buy more used stuff, sell stuff before I ride it into scrap, or use beaters in the winter it might be possible, but I don't see wide adoption of any of those options in my future.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    I thought the same thing about the video, the rider is going pretty slow for such a narrow bridge.

Flush, I have the same thing, route is kinda U shape so always headwind in some direction.

Concerning the bike costs. no matter what, biking to work can not be expressed in money.

Windy again today, gusts up to around 30 knots, but still rideable.

mtbr member
    Cost of operation/Tesla comparison: Car and Driver found a Lamborghini Aventador that was leased to a company that rented them to people interested in driving supercars to the track and the owner commuted with it About $330,000 new with 250,000 miles worth about $75,000, plus repair from a head on into a tree. Cost per mile: $2.50. Of course, left to sit at low miles in a heated garage it would have appreciated. I figure my 2013 Focus at about $.25 cents a mile, not sure about the bike, but as Cycling said, money is not the key factor.

mtbr member
    I did not ride today because I had an issue with pulse going nuts on the way home last ride. Pulled over and let it drop before resuming several times on the way home. Hit 240 after stopping at the side of the road 3/4 the way up the first long grade. By my age I should be 154, but with the stents tehy say more like 120-144. So I guess I get to use the Granny. It is nearly pristine. At 60 I had a max heart rate of 175 (about that of a 45 year old). Hope I can work this back up.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Hi BrianMc, hope that gets sorted, it must be tough after all your past bikecapades.

Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Skinny bridges, no thank you. One tire slip away from another broken collar bone or worse. Do you ride those?
    No, I'm not fond of the high consequence trails either! I wiped out on it in workboots during the original build, and that did not make me fall in love with it. That guy is riding it in the uphill direction, so thats why he's going slow. Not that you can bomb down it either, to tricky.

Annoying squeak for at least 5 miles today, only to disappear on the last mile uphile and not show up at all on the 8 mile return. It sounded exactly like one of those wheels that mice and gerbils run in, and continued whether in saddle or not, pedaling or not, etc.

mtbr member
    Flush, I have the same thing, route is kinda U shape so always headwind in some direction.
    where are you from then? coastal area?
    Took the car today, give the legs a rest but they sensed on my work and are haunting me now with jobs to do
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It was a great ride in today. The weather couldn’t have been prettier and it’s almost sunrise time again.

I also got to see the fire crews responding to the local substation being on fire. Hope the power wasn’t out for too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No commute, day 2 -- yesterday was forecast for HUGE thunderstorms; today the heat index is at 112°F (44.444°C).

I'm gonna have a lot of miles to make up on the Trek/Strava challenge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The ride home was also great. Less about speed more about scenery. And I got to pass through a herd of sheep.

mtbr member
    Hey Brian, I agree with MTBX - take it easy if necessary!

Flush, I am about 100kilometers from the coast in both directions (to North Sea or Baltic Sea) but I have to go across an old riverarm to get to work. So I have to make a kind of U-shape route to the west or east - mostly east, it is the shortest way.

Took the longer way west on the way home today. Met my wife and kids along the way and rode home together. It was quite windy again with gusts up to 25kts but we were mostly sheltered and it was a tailwind on the way home.

mtbr member
    Jeremy, an irish traffic jam for you!

https://www.brianlukeseaward.com/wp-...am_18_x_12.jpg

^^but at what time do you leave?? Sunrise is ~5am here at the moment...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I walk the dog at 5:30 and head out a close to 6:00 as I can. I like to be at work showered and ready to go by no later than 08:00. I’m old and slow and my ride takes me a bit. Most of spring and fall I get to see sunrise and I like it.

mtbr member
    Ok I dont know about age but I would definitely not call you slow riding a 34km commutte with a 24kph average on a hilly gravel route!?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Ride my bike as usual. But it's raining today, and met the traffic conjection..

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    The ride home was also great. Less about speed more about scenery. And I got to pass through a herd of sheep.

Nice! They are using goats on a local bike path here to combat the poison ivy.

mtbr member

An Irish traffic jam!

mtbr member
    Quiet here today - everyone is off because of Independance Day I guess?

I drove yesterday. Rode again today and I made a detour despite an approaching shower. In the end I got some drizzle only, so it turned out better than expected.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    I was lazy and took the car!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

Moderator Moderator
    I rode in, it was nice and quiet on the roads and is nice and quiet in the open office. Of course that did not stop a jerk from passing super close. I think he was offended by my not riding on the shoulder when approaching the light where I needed to take a left turn (the intersection has a left-turn lane, go forward lane, and right-turn lane). I motioned the give me more space signal and he responded with the bird and who knows what else. I was just catching him at the light when he got a green to go straight, so clearly being courteous would not have slowed him down at all. Never a cop around when you need one, as the saying goes. It looks like a hot breeze for the way home, 91 F currently with winds 10-15mph.

Have a good weekend, and go USA Women on Sunday in the World Cup soccer finals!

mtbr member
    .......Have a good weekend, and go USA Women on Sunday in the World Cup soccer finals!......
    Objection gogogo orange lions!!!

mtbr member
    Lionesses yes!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

mtbr member
    go USA Women on Sunday in the World Cup soccer finals!
    ...and congrats to USA women to win the world championships! USA was clearly better, like the statistics to shots on goal, accuracy and ball possession show as well. The lions gave a hell of a fight but more training will be necessary. The lion says "I'll be back"

Nice rides today. It was supposed to rain this morning so I dressed up for it but in the end it was just a few drops and I got pretty steamy, although it was 11C only. The ride home was better with a nice tailwind on the first half and 17C. It is supposed to rain more so I will ride the fendered bike, parked the CX bike in the basement again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great rides today even better weather. Just this one pretty picture.

I have two Salsa bikes and they both have the swing plate adjustment plates. Both of them have lost at least one of the main mounting bolts on the drive side. And today I caught my drive side bolt trying to do it again. Salsa needs to fix this problem. I don’t mind keeping an eye on it but I hate that they are so prone to loosing themselves.

Moderator Moderator
    Objection gogogo orange lions!!!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Beat the rain in the morning and all clear coming home. The tire liners seems to be helping, no flat in 3 weeks lol city commuting in a bike unfriendly area is rough on ya tires. I need a go pro to document some of the shennangins that occur on my ride

mtbr member
    Well, riding trying to keep pulse rate below 130 was weird. A lot of coasting to lower the pulse. A lot of spinning an easier ratio to keep the pulse from rising too high on grades. I am hoping that conditioning will give me back some of the freedom to ride harder. I suppose I could go electric but I am resistant.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I suppose I could go electric but I am resistant.
    How many ohms of resistance you putting up? Lol!

Hoping for the best for you. Could always get into the pun market.

dang

mtbr member
    Great rides today even better weather. Just this one pretty picture.

I have two Salsa bikes and they both have the swing plate adjustment plates. Both of them have lost at least one of the main mounting bolts on the drive side. And today I caught my drive side bolt trying to do it again. Salsa needs to fix this problem. I don’t mind keeping an eye on it but I hate that they are so prone to loosing themselves.
    You can use locking nuts on the bolts Jeremy, i replaced the original ones direct because of that and i have not even finished the build :P
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Well, riding trying to keep pulse rate below 130 was weird. A lot of coasting to lower the pulse. A lot of spinning an easier ratio to keep the pulse from rising too high on grades. I am hoping that conditioning will give me back some of the freedom to ride harder. I suppose I could go electric but I am resistant.
    I hope so too, glad you are getting out! Here's a cool bike my LBS carries in case you look into e-bike options - it looks amazing, and he has sold quite a few. https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/road/gain-all-road

mtbr member
    I hope so too, glad you are getting out! Here's a cool bike my LBS carries in case you look into e-bike options - it looks amazing, and he has sold quite a few. https://www.orbea.com/us-en/ebikes/road/gain-all-road
    No fair. That doesn't even look like an e-bike.

My commutes have been sticky and hot. I had to bum a ride home in a thunderstorm last week. I currently have 2 bikes at the office, and I'm not sure how I'll get the one home yet. The morning after the storm, I rode to work in my dress shoes, since I'd forgotten to change into my biking shoes before getting the ride home. That was an awkward look. The shoes weren't especially comfortable on the bike, but you do what you gotta do. I'm digging this week so far. No rain!

mtbr member
    Hi Brian, yes its hard to ride slower than you want. I often force myself into it to not sweat too much. Also do not look on the speedometer. In 99% of the rides, speed is not that important - at least, on my commute...

Rode in with a collegue again. We left at different times and will ride together again tomorrow. Again some drizzle and 11C only this morning. Dry, windy and 17C on the way home. Not much summer at the moment, but I take it as it comes.

mtbr member
    I agree. It is a stealth electric bike. I assume a crank geared motor and battery in the downtube. Very incognito.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    No fair. That doesn't even look like an e-bike.
    I know - and as light as 25 pounds!

Moderator Moderator
    Back to bikecommuting today. Yesterday I led a trailride and Monday I drove in after watching the soccer final before work. Amazingly, I was able to avoid hearing the score from Sunday's game by not touching a radio, phone or computer. A few pix from the ride around the old quarries...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-millstone1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-millstone2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-millstone3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks nice mtbx. And 25pounds is pretty light for an ebike, my main commuter bike is much heavier...

Nice rides today. Dry and less windy, rode with my collegue both ways.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great rides today accidentally met a German neighbor so we rode together nearly the whole way it was great and he pushed me to within 15 seconds of my fastest time ever. No pictures just great rides.

mtbr member
    For the bike nerds here, more on the Orbea technology. There is a rear hub motor smaller than the usual. Meant more to support commutes and grades at 10 to 15 mph. It drops out with no drag if off.

https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/x35-...-ebike-system/

mtbr member
    Seems like an extra push just when you need it, clever concept!

Where are Woodway and Bedwards?

Nice ride this morning. On the way home the rain got me. I was about halfway and riding on a dyke with view in all directions. Quite nice, when it is not too windy. So I could see the curtain of rain approaching for about 10 minutes before I felt the first drops. Stopped, put on the raingear and continued until home. It was 19C so I got quite steamy in those 10 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Can’t believe it but I never got rained on today. Probably on the way home though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Can’t believe it but I never got rained on today. Probably on the way home though.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Where are Woodway and Bedwards?
    Still alive! (can't speak for bedwards, have not seen him on Strava since July 9th).

It's been a busy couple of weeks, my youngest son got married just before July 4th and we had family in from all over the US.

I've been back to my regular commute all week. Weather has been unusual - normally Seattle is reliably dry starting in July, but I've ridden in the rain three days this week.

My commuter is going to get a full tear-down and cleaning this weekend. I'm going to install new pedals (the old ones are just worn out and I have decided not to rebuild them for the 4th time), new brake rotors (existing rotors are deeply grooved - it's time for new ones) and a new chain. Have a good weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    ^^you ride in the rain too Jeremy?

Woodway nice to see you are still here. I thought you were on vacation, like Bedwards I guess. Congrats for your son getting married - kids already in the making?

Nice ride in today. Ride home was also nice, but wet. Rode in the rain the first 15 minutes and made my usual Friday detour nonetheless. It was 20C so I did not bother putting on the rain gear, a 90€ pants and 50€ longsleeve have to show they are worth the money. and yes they are. I did get wet of course but it was almost dry 30 minutes after it stopped raining.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

As predicted I got caught in a thunderstorm “Gewitter” on the way home. But it was warmish and only hailed a little so honestly it was fun. Hope you all were safe and had good rides today.

Dutchman, I ride as much as I can no matter the weather (except ice). I don’t really do rain gear either. I rather be wet from rain than steam like a clam (which I’m allergic to anyway).

mtbr member
    ^^You may be able to burn the oil off with a blow torch. Put them in a vise and heat them until they just smoke. Don't do it around a smoke detector. It is usually mineral oil that they are contaminated with but any oil should have a low smoke point. Don't forget how hot they are when you are done. That's an old JeffScott trick. I wonder where he went.
    So after I oiled up my new pads as well a few days ago, I tried the trick and what can I say, it worked!

I held them with pliers and heated the backside (piston side) with a simple cigarette lighter until they smoked good. I think once they start smoking, 15-20 seconds of further heating is enough. The first one started making crackling noises after that so I put it down, I did not want to risk them cracking (exploding) them apart. After cooling down I thoroughly sanded the rotor side and wiped off the black sooth of the backing plate. After cleaning the rotor and caliper inside with break cleaner I put the pads back in and went for a ride to bed them in. It took quite a while and I already thought it hadnt worked, but then they started braking all of a sudden again. Saved me 20€ for new pads (although I think I sanded off 5€ at least...)

I sent a PM to Jeffscott just to thank him and to say we hope he is doing well.

mtbr member
    Jeremy I hope you were not too close in the thunderstorm? There should be several seconds between lightning and thunder. 3 seconds is a kilometer, 5 is a mile away.

I myself once got caught in one in the dark and at some point the light from the lightning bolt was coming horizontally through between the trees. Since then I have become more careful with that...and I also had hail once on the way home, made a hell of a noise in my helmet I do wear raingear when it gets colder, lets say 12-13C or below. Overhere in winter it is often just 2-3C, combined with rain and wind its not funny anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Dutchman I actually didn’t pay too much attention as I was only 6km from home when it hit in an area of mostly fields at that point I just wanted to be home so I laughed a little and pedaled harder.

I should be honest too. In the winter here I do wear some rain gear because 2C and rain is the worst.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    The ride in was nearly perfect this morning. Started out with a light sprinkle ended up sunny and nice. Fastest time in ever today as well. Made the 33.54 KM in 79min 21sec. Not bad for plus tire off road bike on mixed surface. I’m not cross country racer but it felt great. Hope you all have great rides today as well.

mtbr member
    The morning started off with me getting chased by not one but 2 chihuahuas down the street in my neighborhood. They would not stop following me. I eventually had to turn around and ride my bike straight back at them to get them to run back to their owners who were yelling for them to return, however unsuccessfully. I've had issues with these dogs before. The good news is that they're tiny and I could easily squash them. The bad news is that they're tiny and I could easily squash them. I don't know why the owners keep letting them into the front yard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    The morning started off with me getting chased by not one but 2 chihuahuas down the street in my neighborhood. .... The good news is that they're tiny and I easily squashED them..
    I fixed it for you.

I love dogs. I own a dog now that might be my favorite dependent most days. As I write this he is chasing flys around my house trying to bite them. That said Chihuahuas are the worst and have got to be the most kickable little dogs on earth.

mtbr member
    Yesterday was at least dry, and grey and windy with only 16C. This morning had 13C and drizzle which turned into light rain during the ride. Typical week of northern germany summer. At least it is turning better from today on.

Funny that dog issue, I had the same thing yesterday. The dog backed off when I stopped pedaling and lifted my leg out of reach and (as a last resort) ready to kick.

Moderator Moderator
    Good rides on the BMX cruiser yesterday. Had a road find, a little scratched but perfectly serviceable. When I stopped to grab it from the Panera exit drive, a not-helpful motorist hit it (there was room to go around or of course simply over it), skittering it into route 302. The oncoming driver was nicer though, and stopped to let me retrieve it. Then a large piece of cardboard flew out of the top of a garbage truck ahead of me - not only littering but a road hazard. I reported it to the company and they spoke to the driver about the need to cycle (lol) the compactor after each stop, and sent someone out to retrieve the cardboard. They did not look very hard, as I found it on my way home between the guard rail and a chain link fence.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    s0ck, if it was me I would have kept riding and let the dogs follow me to work. Maybe then the owners would act responsibly. Love dogs. Hate dog owners.

I got rained on this morning and then flatted about .5 miles from the office. Front tire. It did not go all the way flat so I pumped it up and made a run for the office. I got about 500 feet when I realized it was futile. Stopped and did the full tire change.

mtbr member
    Woodway good suggestion. And couldnt you have walked to the office and fix it there?

Nice ride home today, good weather setting in for the next days.

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Still alive! (can't speak for bedwards, have not seen him on Strava since July 9th).
    Hey, I was missed. I dropped off the grid, literally. I was camping and didn't have enough service to post rides, check in or anything. The weather was great and I did get a few rides in that Strava now knows about. They were "hilly"
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg
    That Orbea looks pretty cool. I wonder if it had enough battery to get up that climb (I barely did).

And MTXB, you never told us what "it" was that you found in the road.

0.5 miles usually falls into the jog it in category but on a nice day it can be nice to be out of the office a little longer. And the tire has to be fixed at some point.

The commute in was pretty uneventful. Which is good!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Nice ride Bedwards and others.

Yesterday I managed to double my commute in miles by forgetting my laptop at home and realizing it when I got to the office. In terms of time it probably quadrupled, because I got stopped by two trains. A whole whopping six miles of utilitarian joy.

dang

mtbr member
    I am slowly increasing my max heart rate with no sudden scary increases. I haven't got the word from the cardilogist if I will have to stcik at 143. I am hopeful that I can break through that limit. At 62 my max was that of a 45 year old. Building muscle and losing weight. They are rebuilding my usual road with nice new shoulders. I hope to be ready for 30 mile rides when they get it done.

mtbr member
    s0ck, if it was me I would have kept riding and let the dogs follow me to work. Maybe then the owners would act responsibly. Love dogs. Hate dog owners.
    That thought crossed my mind, but ultimately I didn't feel comfortable leading dogs down a busy street.

Moderator Moderator
    Apologies! Not sure if that was a button-pushing error or my lousy internet connection at home. Here is the road findHow was your commute today?-roadfind.jpg

Pretty sure the Orbea Gain would eat that climb for breakfast, bedwards!

Good rides today but hot n humid.

I think I fixed my annoying squeak - removed the front fender mounting bolts, added grease, and reinstalled on fork mounts.

Nice going BrianMc!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Another great ride today and again I managed it in under 80 minutes. Now if I could just consistently get the return trip in under 1:40.

As I was leaving this morning. Sorry no bike.

CB of the East
    Apologies! Not sure if that was a button-pushing error or my lousy internet connection at home. Here is the road find.
    Phew, I was thinking I was crazy because I read it a few times and couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I found a bungee cord today.

Pretty sure the Orbea Gain would eat that climb for breakfast, bedwards!
    I'm not sure. I think it would use it up. I averaged 300W. The little 250W motor would be running at nearly full capacity for the full climb depending on what the rider put in. Have you tried it, Hurricane Mountain Road from N. Conway? It's not something the casual cyclist would seek out. Up or down.

I got a head shake from a motorist that was the source of the problem on my way home last night.

Couples commute this morning. It looks like the steady rain will all fall while I'm working.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Way to go BrianMc!

Saw the rides you uploaded bedwards - looks like a good time.

Dutchman, bedwards, pushing the bike to work? Seriously? Where is your pride?

Thankfully no flats today, just some light sprinkles.

mtbr member
    Commute was hot AF today. Rode in later than usual. Temp was already near 90 at 9:45am. Supposed to be at or near 100 for the next 3 days. Btw, I'm in Denver.

mtbr member
    Mtbx is that an insulated one for coffee etc?

Bedwards nice to hear you had a good time!

Woodway ROFL totally nailed it

Nice rides again today. Summer weather is back, it was only 20C this afternoon but sunny and no wind at all. Temps are going to rise to almost 30C next week.

mtbr member
    Brian you are really persistent on the bike thing. No matter what you keep coming back. You are a real bikewarrior!

mtbr member
    Brian you are really persistent on the bike thing. No matter what you keep coming back. You are a real bikewarrior!
    It's the smile it puts on my face as I roll out the drive on another adventure! I also apparently have a genotype that responds well to exercise. I suspect that if I had kept the riding miles higher, I'd not have had the blockage.

Live to ride, ride to live.

Moderator Moderator
    Phew, I was thinking I was crazy because I read it a few times and couldn't figure out what you were talking about. I found a bungee cord today.

I'm not sure. I think it would use it up. I averaged 300W. The little 250W motor would be running at nearly full capacity for the full climb depending on what the rider put in. Have you tried it, Hurricane Mountain Road from N. Conway? It's not something the casual cyclist would seek out. Up or down.
    OMG, I did not realize that was Hurricane Mtn Rd - when I first saw that road I was like how the heck did they pave this -sooooo steep . I rode up the Conway side years ago to ride back down the MTB trails, those were super-fun! You might be right! Last week someone here claimed that Lincoln Gap in VT is the steepest paved 1 mile in America (Real Misery In The Green Mountains | VT Gran Fondo), and I asked if they had been on Hurricane Mtn Rd in NH. You are good at Strava and data - who wins?

Mtbx is that an insulated one for coffee etc?

No, just a plastic water bottle. I already have 2 the same size, but this one does have a different top.
    Caught in downpours on the way home, but I had to laugh when the vehicle that sent a wave of water my way in its wake was a big wide-load power boat.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice KOM bedwards. You deserve those cookies!

Rain for me again this morning. It's JULY for goodness sake. It's not supposed to rain here in July.

CB of the East
    Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

OMG, I did not realize that was Hurricane Mtn Rd - when I first saw that road I was like how the heck did they pave this -sooooo steep . I rode up the Conway side years ago to ride back down the MTB trails, those were super-fun! You might be right! Last week someone here claimed that Lincoln Gap in VT is the steepest paved 1 mile in America (Real Misery In The Green Mountains | VT Gran Fondo), and I asked if they had been on Hurricane Mtn Rd in NH. You are good at Strava and data - who wins?
    It looks like Lincoln gap wins with a mile with an average grade of 15%. Hurricane has almost 2 miles with an average of 11% but the bottom is steeper so it might be close. It is challenging for sure!
    Nice KOM bedwards. You deserve those cookies!
    Actually, I used the KOM as an incentive not to eat the cookies when normally I would have. That KOM is on my regular route home and I've been trying for it for 2 years now. They guy I took it from and I have a battle going on. He took one of mine on Tuesday, I took one of his today, by 1 second. 27.6MPH for 3 miles of rolling hills, ouch. I'm planning on visiting a few more on the ride home. What can I say, it keeps me entertained and fit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No commute today after returning from my Alaskan cruise--on that subject, I broke 100 miles for the month of July on my Juneau "Bike and Brew" excursion and I qualified for the TREK free T-shirt! So that's good.

So why didn't I commute today? Funny you should ask, because during my email clean up I received an email from Trek:

If the wrong bolt that holds the front fender to the fork crown is installed during assembly, the bolt can unthread and the fender can fall on the front wheel. If this happens, the bike can stop suddenly, and the rider could be involved in a serious accident.

Your safety is very important to us. Therefore, Trek will inspect your bicycle, and if the wrong bolt is installed, replace it free of charge. This letter contains important information regarding what to do next if you think you may have purchased one of these bicycles.
    So yeah...I can be potentially hurled over my handle bars at 28 mph. So that's a thing. Now the upside to this news is:

In addition, when you bring in your Super Commuter+ 8S for inspection, Trek will give you an in-store credit of $100 to use toward any Trek or Bontrager merchandise.
    So the question now is, what is the best value for my "$100"?

In other news, I got to spend the day in Seattle before embarking on my cruise. I thought I was "excited" and "impressed" with the new bike lanes going up in my local area. After seeing downtown Seattle...I'm extremely disappointed. To see entire dedicated 2-way lanes, painted green, well marked, isolated by barriers...there were so many commuters even on a Sunday. I was also excited to see so many eBikes. I got to talk to a few people along the market & piers. Many of them who have moved to Seattle within the last "few" years. All of them with a similar story. Showed up with a car, but in the short stay they've all gone car free and commute 100% by bicycle. I'm not moving to Seattle, but it was very impressive and in my personal case envious of what "could" be if more cities embraced bicycling beyond niche'.

Final thought: I am still using a "mountain bike" helmet. It's comfortable. It's MIPS. It's "fine". But between Seattle and doing some research...there are some great "commuter" helmet options. Bontrager has their commuter helmet (wavecel)...that has the ability to rear mount the bontrager light. There is the Giro Bexley and Camden. Now I've been exposed to the Lumos helmet. The new Lumos Matrix has my attention. I actually saw several Lumos helmets (the Kickstarter edition) in just one day in Seattle. Any of you ride with Giro? Lumos?

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    Final thought: I am still using a "mountain bike" helmet. It's comfortable. It's MIPS. It's "fine".
    And I use mountain bike shoes on all my road bikes. I wouldn't want to combine my lights and helmet because lights have a tendency to die. I zip-tie a light holder to the back of my (mountain bike) helmet. Don't believe the hype.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Good commute today, got some extra miles by having to go to another location first for work. Some jerk tried to pass me in a roundabout, but they didn't commit, and instead of just speeding up ahead of me they kinda sped up and then started to take the right turn in front of me. I didn't let them.

Not looking forward to the ride home, it'll be 96 with 55% humidity and heat index of 104. It's hot over here for the next few days.

dang

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Tire pressure, forgot how important it is to check regularly and keep proper inflation. Last week my commutes seemed to take a bit more effort and I notice my tires looked a bit low as I tried to figure out what was going on. Topped off both tires on Monday and each were about 7-10 psi low lol. Commutes been much easier this week even with the humidity and heat.

mtbr member
    Congrats on your KOM Bedwards. Strava is a good thing to stay competitive and fit indeed.

Good quote again Brian!

tough luck for you Woodway. Maybe it will be compensated by less rain in winter?

MTBX Bedwards be glad you are not in Europe. Steepest road here is 37%!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trDbyQbfHKc&t=325s
    Steepest I have ridden is ~15% but that is just a few hundred meters, not an average over a longer stretch. And honestly, I find that enough

Oh man (and woman) I dont know why but the ride in was so nice this morning. It was 12C, slight haze and sunny. Felt refreshing but not really cold and is was simply very enjoyable. 23C and sunny on the way home, went for shorts, Tshirt and sandals instead of lycra and stuff. (I permantly break the rule that says that kit and bike should have matching colors. Although today, bike and T-shirt were both orange...)

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    I'm not moving to Seattle, but it was very impressive and in my personal case envious of what "could" be if more cities embraced bicycling beyond niche'.
    Seattle has made quite an investment in bike facilities, and that has spilled over into the surrounding cities. The city I work in, Bellevue - across Lake Washington from Seattle, has installed dedicated bike lanes downtown and is planning for more. This was a shock to many in the local bike community as Bellevue has always been viewed as a car city and a cycling wasteland. The increase in the number of bike commuters over the last 10 years is really noticeable, especially in the summer. And with e-bikes coming down in price, this trend will only accelerate.

The best benefit of all this, from my POV, is that drivers around here have become used to sharing the road with bikes. Ten years ago when I started bike commuting full-time it felt like I had regular run-ins with drivers doing stupid things. Now, it hardly ever happens. Bike are just accepted.

Final thought: I am still using a "mountain bike" helmet. It's comfortable. It's MIPS. It's "fine". But between Seattle and doing some research...there are some great "commuter" helmet options.
    I just ride with my Fox Mountain Bike Helmet. I used to mount a light on the back of my helmet, but it was uncomfortable. I bought a Dinotte Quad Red Taillight and mounted it on the back of my rack. That thing is BRIGHT, even in broad daylight.

Quote Originally Posted by 18th letter View Post
    Tire pressure, forgot how important it is to check regularly and keep proper inflation.
    I check/re-inflate my tires every other day.

tough luck for you Woodway. Maybe it will be compensated by less rain in winter?
    I doubt it, winter is reliably rainy around here, just as summers are usually reliably dry (EXCEPT THIS SUMMER SO FAR). Got rained on again last night going home and this morning coming into work. But the weatherman says summer is finally coming next week! Have a good weekend all.

mtbr member
    Didnt sleep well tonight and felt very tired. Maybe thats the reason I had a fast ride in. It was 17C already and 25C in the afternoon.

Will be on vacation for 2 weeks now. Planning to make some nice family rides. Will look in here very once and a while but probably not much to post the next time. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    There was a burned American flag on a bridge I ride over this morning. That was certainly unexpected.

Other than that, it's pretty hot here. Temps are in the upper 70s in the mornings and mid-90s on the way home with high humidity (dew point today is 75F). Not the most pleasant conditions but still better than driving. I had to an all-day business meeting yesterday. The venue was within riding distance, but I elected to drive since the route was dicey.

CB of the East
    We are going to get the heat tomorrow. 95F with a heat index of 102F. It doesn't happen too often but usually a few times a year.

Have a good trip dutchman. And 37%??? We have a few in the US but I would think keeping traction would be tough.

I went out chasing KOMs yesterday and my legs are dead tired today. It's all good though, I've got 7 in the last 3 days. All thanks to commuting legs. I brought out the old bike for a nice easy ride today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Great rides today. I’m still in search of the illusive 3 total hour day but it will come.

mtbr member
    Sobering ride today, with the recent fatal car + 2 bikes accident in San Jose, CA, USA on my mind. I've been bike commuting in a subburb an hour north of that location for a few years, on mostly quiet residential streets, but sometimes I forget to check every driveway if it has been a while since I read such a story.

I tried riding on the sidewalk of the busiest street on my route, a few blocks of 30 MPH, with steep downhills. It kept me extra vigilant of the cars in driveways, and the surface isn't great, so it kept my speed down...

I am hoping that my last mtb crash just sprained my pinky again, and I didn't fracture it again... this is one of the reasons I've been off my bike commute for a few weeks. We'll see how a weekend mtb ride goes, I guess I should go have it x-ray'd again if it hurts a lot of rough downhills like last time.

Moderator Moderator
    Still fairly cool for this morning's ride but 87F now for the ride home. Gonna take it easy since I am an amateur at hot. Someone had a Dunkin' emergency this morning and had to pass me then immediately stop and put on the left blinker.

Members who have read this thread: 187