How was your commute today? - Page 125- Mtbr.com
Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125
Results 24,801 to 24,992 of 24992
    CB of the East
    ^^You may be able to burn the oil off with a blow torch. Put them in a vise and heat them until they just smoke. Don't do it around a smoke detector. It is usually mineral oil that they are contaminated with but any oil should have a low smoke point. Don't forget how hot they are when you are done. That's an old JeffScott trick. I wonder where he went.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    For whatever reason my rear brake did not work anymore since Saturday, so tonight I inspected it closer and it seems I contaminated them with oil. A few weeks ago I oiled the chain with a non-stick type of oil like for sewing machines etc. Apparently it now worked its way along the QR axle to the other side of the wheel where the brakerotor is. Everything there was full with oil and dirt so I cleaned everything and put in some used pads that were in the parts bin.
    Take out the pads, soak them in alcohol for a bit then torch them like bedwards recommended. I've had success with this method. I typically do a little sanding in between torch sessions to get the top layer off as well. Don't forget to clean the rotor with alcohol as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    I read that article and my first thought was that some people (possibly the kind in pickup trucks that like to scream at you, not that I want to stereotype) would see that as a target and see if they could just tap the pool noodle as they pass. No thanks.
    Yeah, I'm going to stick to day running lights and fluorescent clothes.

Tightened up my disc brake calipers last night and replaced my worn/squared off rear tire, which I discovered had cracked to the casing.

I'm always surprised at how strong mechanical disc brakes can be once they are tightened up after some wear.

Moderator Moderator
    Hot today, and severe thunderstorm warning, including 1" hail warning. Skated through without rain in both directions! The way in was wet due to numerous puddles from overnight/a.m. thunderstorms, full fenders rule!. I heard a nearby town got 3" of rain!

Bedwards, yeah, I wonder what became of jeffscott.

mtbr member
    Hey MTBX, how was your adventure ride with the kids?

I prepared for rain today but it was dry this morning, so I put the rainpants in my pannier for just in case. On the way home I started dry, but it slowly started raining. Since I am a very experienced bike commuter I had put on the thinnest windjacket I have this morning and once riding, I did not want to stop either to put on the rainpants. So I was totally soaked when I came home. I rode home with a collegue and it seems he is a rule #9 rider too, good news there.

I looked at jeffscott's profile and it looks like he was last active here 2 years ago. I hope he is doing well. I forgot about his trick and threw away the pads already :-/. I have another pair of old pads that are almost worn out, maybe I will just try it when I have time for an experiment.

CB of the East
    threw away the pads already :-/.
    WHAT? you don't throw away bike parts even if they are useless! I must have 10 cassettes that all skip but I might need them some day. FYI, I don't believe your oil migration theory. Even an Arctic tern doesn't migrate that far.

Good commute today. It was finally a nice day so I did 27 miles in. Pretty breezy though.

mtbr member
    Well I did not think about the oil creeping through either until I wiped it off and noticed it wasnt as sticky as usually. That is when I remembered I put the stuff on a few weeks ago. In addition the bike is parking on the kickstand at home and leaning to the left a bit. If it isnt that it should happen again since I put the usual chain oil on it again now. The worst case would be the rohloff leaking oil on that side....in that case I will have to disassemble it to, well, just because

Moderator Moderator
    Tough gusty headwinds here this morning, do-able but an extra workout that my legs felt by the ride home. Saw a bad road find yesterday... you know those huge chains/bars used to tie down heavy equipment, etc. on big flatbed trucks? Well one fell off the first truck, and the following truck, which was carrying granite blocks, stopped... both drivers got out and driver #2 walked the chain to driver #1. Could have ended a lot worse. Luckily I was traveling the opposite direction. After work there was a rainbow outside the office, snapped a pic with my bike. Dutchman, the kids, big and small did great and had fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-rainbow.jpg  

How was your commute today?-takeakid.jpg  

CB of the East
    Double rainbow. I expected to see one yesterday too because the sun was out and it was raining pretty good. It's been really windy here too. Really nice when you are going with it. Not so much in the other direction.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    MTBxplorer,

Great pics with the kids. The local non-profit bike shop I've volunteered with in the past is needing a coordinator to lead the rides for kids. I'd be all over it if I didn't have a day job. It's a 30 hour commitment and I could only contribute on weekends.

Rain and cold temps Monday turned to snow that night and into Tuesday. No riding for me. Today it was 2C degrees but clear. Streets were still wet but thankfully it warmed up some and no ice. Supposed to shower again on my ride home but temps should be about 10C so I can deal. We set two new records Monday and Tuesday for lowest temps and most snow on these dates in May. It has been a slow start to the year due to weather and we're fast approaching the halfway point.

Loving the new wheelset on the MMD. I've logged a little over 3100 miles since I built it last summer. Loving it. My old bike was supposed to be repaired but I'm not sure if I want it back anymore. It did serve me well for 22 years but the MMD has filled the void nicely. I may have to give the builder a call just to see what's up. It would still be a great ride for single track.

CB of the East
    Wow z1r that is some late season snow for sure. I think spring finally broke here in New England but it is pretty late here too. Without looking back for reference I'm attempting to remember what MMD stands for. I think one of the Ms might be for Monkey. Don't tell me, it's a challenge now. I hear you on the new bike. I'd been riding my new Habanero exclusively for the whole spring. This week I pulled out the road bike. It turns out I still like that one too.

CB of the East
    Oh, Macho Man. Not sure about the "D".

mtbr member
    Sometimes signalling turns is sketchy. I was in a bumper-to-bumper line of traffic. A car two cars in front of me hit the brakes to let a car turn in front of him, which in turn caused the car in front of me to hit the brakes abruptly. This happened right as I started to signal my turn. I hit the rear brake hard and almost slid off the saddle as I fumbled around to get my left hand back on the grips.

Later, a car pulled out beside me from a parking lot. It was one of those awkward pull-into-the-middle-turning-lane kind of deals. I wasn't exactly sure what the driver was going to do, so I just kept going. The car faded back a bit. I needed to turn left, so I signaled and eventually moved over into the turning lane. Then the dude pulled up alongside of me and said something like "Ride safe and have a good day." This was a bit surprising, but also a little confusing.

mtbr member
    ^^You may be able to burn the oil off with a blow torch. Put them in a vise and heat them until they just smoke. Don't do it around a smoke detector. It is usually mineral oil that they are contaminated with but any oil should have a low smoke point. Don't forget how hot they are when you are done. That's an old JeffScott trick. I wonder where he went.
    I used a camp stove burner, but this works so well I almost endoed on the first application of the newly oil-free brakes.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Well, I came to the intersection where the local expressway off-ramp meets a four-lane surface street. Since the guys from the Thruway road repair had set up shop blocking the right hand lane of the perpendicular street, AND part of the sidewalk, I dismounted and walked the bike to the corner, where there is a traffic light. I waited until the light turned green for me as a pedestrian, and walked the bike across the street.

A woman in a huge SUV had pulled slightly into the crosswalk, and as I walked in front of her, I saw her vehicle start to MOVE! I screamed HEY! WATCH OUT! and instinctively grabbed the bike as I tried to get away from her. Her SUV's high front end brushed the edge of my rear plastic mud guard and swiveled it out of the way. I yelled at her to pull over since I thought she might have damaged the bike. She slowly pulled around the corner - and then just sped off!

I guess I wasn't "obvious" enough as a commuter, having only a flashing front light, a flashing rear light, a blinking side light and a screaming yellow windbreaker on at the time. Luckily as I started to cross in the crosswalk, I looked into her SUV and saw that she was not looking in my direction, but was looking down. I'm guessing that she was texting, and was completely unaware of her surroundings outside the vehicle. Not another routine morning!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Since I am a rule #9 badass
    I know English is not your first language, Dutchman, so I fix it for ya!

Another rain ride here this morning...in fact now thinking about it that's the 7th rain ride in a row...but dry coming home and supposed to be in the mid-70s for the ride home tomorrow!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Oh, Macho Man. Not sure about the "D".
    Mine is a 2014 Model. That year All City introduced the "Disc" version of their Macho Man while also making the cantilever version. To differentiate, they called it the Macho Man Disc, MMD. The next year they dropped the cantilever version so went back to calling it the Macho Man.

It rained on the way home, not bad but the temp dropped. Still better than 100 degrees though. Supposed to rain again tomorrow and start off at freezing with a high if only 50.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by urbsuburb2017 View Post
    Well, I came to the intersection where the local expressway off-ramp meets a four-lane surface street. Since the guys from the Thruway road repair had set up shop blocking the right hand lane of the perpendicular street, AND part of the sidewalk, I dismounted and walked the bike to the corner, where there is a traffic light. I waited until the light turned green for me as a pedestrian, and walked the bike across the street.

A woman in a huge SUV had pulled slightly into the crosswalk, and as I walked in front of her, I saw her vehicle start to MOVE! I screamed HEY! WATCH OUT! and instinctively grabbed the bike as I tried to get away from her. Her SUV's high front end brushed the edge of my rear plastic mud guard and swiveled it out of the way. I yelled at her to pull over since I thought she might have damaged the bike. She slowly pulled around the corner - and then just sped off!

I guess I wasn't "obvious" enough as a commuter, having only a flashing front light, a flashing rear light, a blinking side light and a screaming yellow windbreaker on at the time. Luckily as I started to cross in the crosswalk, I looked into her SUV and saw that she was not looking in my direction, but was looking down. I'm guessing that she was texting, and was completely unaware of her surroundings outside the vehicle. Not another routine morning!
    Wow, glad you are OK urbsuburb! The cellphone zombies are really getting out of control.

mtbr member

ug, sorry to hear it. glad you are ok. I wish I didn't need reminders like this, to not trust any car... I mean, she was stopped at a crosswalk. There has to be a point where you expect someone to not start moving their car without even looking. I guess I'll try to remember my parents' lesson of getting eye contact with drivers.

I spent some time with Komoot last night, looking for the path up the hill to where I live with the least steep gradients, since I suspect I caused my plantar fasciitis a few months ago when I started a new job, and changed my bike commute to take the steepest possible route 5 days a week. My old, less steep route is nice, but takes me out of the way. We'll see tonight if my new zig zag route looks as good as it did coming down it.

CB of the East
    Sometimes even eye contact doesn't work with zombies...

Spring fever has struck. It was hard coming into work today.

mtbr member
    Whoa ubsuburb! I now understand why some cyclist carry the big u-lock on their handlebar: so that they can grab it and smash a windshield or mirror to catch a drivers attention.

Mtbx big for that ride with the kids, nice pics!

Thanks for the correction woodway

Bedwards you seem to like the habanero ti bike? How does it ride compared to steel and aluminium?

I rode yesterday too but felt sick the entire day somehow. Went home early, slept a lot and today I was fresh again today and it was really nice. Sunny, no wind and nice temps. Came home and went paddling with #2 to finish the day.

mtbr member

Always an adventure, right? Glad it wasn't more serious. I always hate it when people are on their phones at intersections because they tend to do stupid things and often creep into the intersection. There's not always a good way to predict their behavior either.

This one time, I was standing at a stop light on my way to work and my wife was going for a run. She got a crosswalk signal and started across the road. When she reached the far lane of traffic, an SUV came barreling in and slammed on the brakes, stopping only a couple feet away from hitting my wife. All I could do is stand there at my red light and hold my breath. The light had been red for several seconds, and there was no reason for the SUV to be approaching that fast. Lucky for everyone, it was just a scare.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    .......This one time, I was standing at a stop light on my way to work and my wife was going for a run. She got a crosswalk signal and started across the road. When she reached the far lane of traffic, an SUV came barreling in and slammed on the brakes, stopping only a couple feet away from hitting my wife. All I could do is stand there at my red light and hold my breath. The light had been red for several seconds, and there was no reason for the SUV to be approaching that fast. Lucky for everyone, it was just a scare.
    Not too long ago something similar happened to me. The trail I take to work is on the other side of a "T" intersection with a three way stop. I came to the "T" and no cars were present but one car was coming from my right a good way down the road. Speed limit is only thirty so I should have had plenty of time to cross the intersection and enter the trail. Just as I enter the intersection I hear the sound of the car accelerating. By now I was in its path so all I could do is sprint like my life depended on it. Just as I clear the lane I see the car brake HARD. Even so, he stopped halfway in the intersection. No idea what he was thinking or doing. Luckily, I carry spare undies.

I make it a rule when cars are present never to cross in front unless I get acknowledgement from the driver. I hate winter because you can't see the driver when its dark and have no idea if they see you.

A reminder to all, don't take it for granted that a driver has seen you, and be extra vigilant. I don't what to be reading about any one of you being on the losing end of an encounter with a cage!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I don't usually post about my afternoon rides, but I'm pretty fired up right now...

I got passed. I don't mean, there was a struggle down the straight away battle of two titans and he passed me.

No, no sir, I was in full 90 RPM top gear 28 mph and I got flat out passed like I was standing still.

"ding, ding" - the sound of the bell.

wooooosh - flat out passed at 28 mph.

Not only did I get passed. I got passed, by a dude wearing blue jeans. No helmet. on a Woman's geometry mountain bike WITH KNOBBY TIRES.

Let that sink in. Woman's step through geometry, moutnain bike, with knobby tires passed me like I was stopped.

Needless to say, my ego would not let this go without effort. On the next down hill, I reached a top speed of 40 mph and started to catch him. This is when I noticed...he WASN'T EVEN PEDALING! On the next incline (I told you guys I wouldn't call them hills in Florida), I started to make up ground, but again he he zoomed away at the crest. Well, I kept within distance (not drafting distance) but kept it close. We both hit the light at a major intersection. I pulled up next to him and said:
    I'm not used to being the one passed"
    He laughed and in a STRONG New York accent:
    I just moved down for NEWYORK, my buddy hooked me up with his rig. I don't even own a car. For a BIG MAN you were ****in' moving! I don't usually have a hard time passing people but I had to kick it up to catch and pass you
    (insert new york laughter.

He zoomed off from the light, and again I did everything I could to keep pace. He turned off at the next shopping plaza.

I chuckled the whole rest of the way home, until I got home. Strava borked 1.7 miles into my ride and NONE of this was recorded.

I'm not sure if i'm more upset I got flat out passed by a dude on a "chick bike" with knobby tires without pedaling, or the fact that every personal record I had to have broken wasn't recorded.

See you boys in the morning.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Hmm, in true urban legend form you were recording your ride, but the gps malfunctioned. Hmm...

Epic. From now on the mysterious NYer should probably only be referred to as La Leyenda.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

CB of the East
    #ebikewars

Also Cat 6 ebike racing!
    Last edited by bedwards1000; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Experiencing some flooding here and the building I work at is in the danger zone.

We had severe thunderstorms last night with a possibility of flash floods, so when there was a lull in the storm around midnight I rolled down to work to see if we were going under (my commute is very short). Everything looked good so I rolled back home.

Woke up this morning to learn an F3 tornado had ripped through town just before that lull. No fatalities but some injuries and lots of damage. Fair amount of debris on the road...mainly branches and twigs broken into abnormally short pieces and bits of insulation from destroyed buildings. I haven't gone to gawk at the tornado path yet, emergency crews still trying to get stuff done up there.

Meanwhile the waters continue to rise. One of the building owners was getting sandbags into place as I left work today...probably going to have the day off tomorrow but our building should stay dry unless the latest predictions are off by a couple feet.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yo Squeak, I heard it was really bad Jeff City way, good to see you're minimally affected.

dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks man. Yeah, we were stressing about flooding and having to evacuate a bunch of stuff over a couple inches of water...that's nothing compared to what some folks are dealing with now so feeling lucky.

CB of the East
    ^^Glad you avoided the worst of it. What area are you in? Flooding and tornadoes doesn't seem to limit it too much this last week.

CB of the East
    Bedwards you seem to like the habanero ti bike? How does it ride compared to steel and aluminium?
    The full review is here. https://thecandidcyclist.blogspot.co...g-on-heat.html

The commute was good. No tornadoes, No flooding. I'm not going to complain.

mtbr member
    Nice stories here except for yours Squeak! Hope you stay allright.

Well I had nice rides today but while stuffing everything in my panniers this afternoon I noticed that it was too full to get some stuff from the farmers market and then I dropped my phone which installed the spider app instantly. So I went straight home with a crappy mood. I hope your weekend will start better!

Bedwards thanks for the link, I knew that post already. I like what you write about the bike. I dont know why but somehow Ti bikes
    always look very unnoticeable and stealthy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

How was your commute today?

Spring is pretty. Bikes are fun. Have a great weekend all.

CB of the East
    Bedwards thanks for the link, I knew that post already. I like what you write about the bike. I dont know why but somehow Ti bikes
    always look very unnoticeable and stealthy.
    That's what I like about it. It looks a little plain but rides real nice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What area are you in? Flooding and tornadoes doesn't seem to limit it too much this last week.
    Jefferson City, MO.

The river has crested for us...some of our parking lot is underwater but the building's safe and dry and we're open for business.

I'll be keeping the "I rode through a tornado to check on the business" in my pocket if my boss ever needs a reminder

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Jefferson City, MO.

The river has crested for us...some of our parking lot is underwater but the building's safe and dry and we're open for business.

I'll be keeping the "I rode through a tornado to check on the business" in my pocket if my boss ever needs a reminder
    Do you ever do any gravel riding? If so I'd highly recommend trying the Cuba Gravel Crisis in Cuba, MO. It's a pretty stellar ride/race if you need 50 to 100 miles of gravel in your life. There's a route 66 fest in town usually with places selling beer and porksteak among other health defying food items. Also a great place to watch rednecks be redneckin.

dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    No, the gravel crisis is always the same weekend as BT Epic and I try not to miss that one.

Death By Gravel is a good event down in Steelville in spring, 50 or 100mi options on that too. Lucked out on weather this year, awesome ride.

NDD
    mtbr member
    No, the gravel crisis is always the same weekend as BT Epic and I try not to miss that one.

Death By Gravel is a good event down in Steelville in spring, 50 or 100mi options on that too. Lucked out on weather this year, awesome ride.
    This year gravel crisis is the week before. Also never heard of BT epic...seems fun, but I avoid entering the Bass River Resort like the plague.

dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Oh cool, I'll probably make the cravel crisis then.

The epic is a blast...good course, huge party afterwards. Registration fills fast though, gotta sign up the first half hour to be on the safe side. Never been to Bass River when it wasn't full of MTBers but I can imagine!

As for my commute...river crested this morning and flood waters are within inches of covering Main St. It looks like heavy rain is forecast for the Missouri River basin upstream of us so it may get worse in a few days. Nice weather today though.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Oh cool, I'll probably make the cravel crisis then.

The epic is a blast...good course, huge party afterwards. Registration fills fast though, gotta sign up the first half hour to be on the safe side. Never been to Bass River when it wasn't full of MTBers but I can imagine!

As for my commute...river crested this morning and flood waters are within inches of covering Main St. It looks like heavy rain is forecast for the Missouri River basin upstream of us so it may get worse in a few days. Nice weather today though.
    Yes was there one time and it was like an all out bro party everywhere. We had a campsite tucked away, and thought it would be fine, until our neighbors showed up. They set up camp and then not a single word. Some time in right after dark, they just started having sex pretty loudly. For a while. I like more remote camping now.

My commute today, was, sadly, by truck. I had to give a tour of our lab an interview candidate and couldn't be all sweaty and gross in the morning. If this was a potential grad student, I could be sweaty and gross, but not somebody with a PhD. Was good about biking or walking all week, though. Now that it's switched to downright humid every morning, I'll probably walk more than bike, because it's not worth it to only bike 1.5 miles and get so sweaty. What I ought to do is use this as an excuse to put in extra miles every morning I can, which will only be Tuesday next week. Send encouragement my way, y'all.
    dang

mtbr member
    Rode my old 29" steel rigid MTB with 45x15 single speed to work. Second time ever using this single speed bike.

I like it. Pretty flat 8 mile commute.

So nice not dealing with shifters.

Harder to track stand though.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Ok I will open the week this time

Good rides today. 14C already on the way in, 17 on the way home. There was a jogging lady in my way this morning who didnt want go aside for us, I guess he was the opinion she owns that part of the road. In that particular spot it is indeed not clear what it exactly is, a mup, sidewalk or bikepath. I usually ride there to avoid traffic and usually there is more than enough space to pass.

It is a short week, thursday is a public holiday and the company decided everyone must take a vacation day friday to be able to closedown and not open for the few who do not take the vacation day anyway. Nice to have a long weekend but less nice to have 3 days of work next week monday....but I take it anyway

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I got my only commute in this week. Tomorrow Iím going to a trade show in Hannover and Wednesday I donít get to ride. And I like my fellow non-German German, Dutchman, have a long weekend this week. But today was beautiful and I love my bike and my ride.

This isnít my commuter but it got new tires setup tubeless this weekend and i wanted to show it off. My single speed is all smiles.

Last edited by jeremy_burke; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:43 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Geared up for Memorial Day on Friday's commute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Back in saddle this morning after 2 week hiatus. I'm a more enjoyable co worker when I ride my bike lol

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by 18th letter View Post
    Back in saddle this morning after 2 week hiatus. I'm a more enjoyable co worker when I ride my bike lol
    I had to count on my fingers to get to the 18th letter but I'm still not sure what it stands for. Welcome to the group.

MTXB, do you must happen to have a Captain America bike helmet or did you have to buy that special for Memorial Day?

I had some good rides over the long weekend including one through bear notch yesterday. https://www.relive.cc/view/2402085375

My legs were a little sleepy this morning but not too bad. Supposed to rain this afternoon.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No commute for me today. I came down with a cold over the Holiday weekend but still went for two nice singletrack rides this weekend. Rode the Nature boy on Saturday for about 27 miles of Single Speed fun, then rode the Cosmic Stallion yesterday for 30 miles of singletrack. the trails were still wet from Saturday night's rain in a few places. The mud caused my front tire to washout on one very lowspeed turn. I was very graceful as I went down, lol.

We had some serious thunderstorms last night coupled with hail, needless to say, I did not sleep well. Actually overslept this morning so I had to drive. My head feels like its full of cotton. My wife would probably say that's an improvement as its usually empty! Hope to be back on the road tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Hey mtbx that looks good! Got lots of good honks?

Nice ride bedwards. You really made 41 mph??

Rides were good, nothing special, just as it should be

mtbr member
    May 2019
    I had to count on my fingers to get to the 18th letter but I'm still not sure what it stands for. Welcome to the group.

MTXB, do you must happen to have a Captain America bike helmet or did you have to buy that special for Memorial Day?

I had some good rides over the long weekend including one through bear notch yesterday. https://www.relive.cc/view/2402085375

My legs were a little sleepy this morning but not too bad. Supposed to rain this afternoon.
    First initial is R of a semi difficult to pronounce name that gotten shortened to R amongst friends

ETA: ride home after 2 weeks was kinda rough. Arthur Itis wouldn't let me out of the saddle on my 1st of 3 steep inclines. My knee warmed up and I was able to get get out on the next two, albeit cautiously and didn't push as hard as I had been. Beat the rain home to boot.
    Last edited by 18th letter; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:16 PM. Reason: Additional information

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Here's my much shorter ride: https://www.relive.cc/view/2402194570

CB of the East
    z1r, singletrack counts at least double. The riding time was pretty similar.

Nice ride bedwards. You really made 41 mph??
    Did you see the hill profile? I'm pretty surprised I didn't hit 50. I hit 40 most days on the one big downhill on my commute to work.

Up In Smoke
    My car was stolen last night so I got to ride to work. Its only a 1.5 miles, but that's the most I've ridden since last Friday.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    My car was stolen last night so I got to ride to work. Its only a 1.5 miles, but that's the most I've ridden since last Friday.
    I guess that's about as good a reason as any. Sucks to hear that, though.

dang

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That's terrible. Sorry to hear. At least you didn't have to walk to work!

Moderator Moderator

I got it special for Memorial Day, 4th of July, Veteran's Day, etc. Sierra Trading Post had it for $16 on clearance. It's a Lazer.

Dutchman, I don't think I got any honks, but I like to think it makes an occasional motorist smile.

Moderator Moderator
    Geez, that is no good. Hope it works out OK.

mtbr member
    Stolen car, wow.

Well my commute today started with having to move my car before breakfast so that it didn't get a parking ticket. Then I decided to take the 45x15 29er.

On the way home, I met up with my wife, who also bike commuted today, and we rode to the grocery store.

I sat with the bikes while she shopped.

Then we went home, and I switched to a cargo bike because I needed more groceries the first place didn't have. And so rode a bit more.

In all just 24 miles of relaxed riding counting the morning commute.

When I'm by myself, I'll be hammering most of the ride, and come home all winded and sweaty.

This was much more pleasant. We even took some a breaks to enjoy the evening's sights, and stopped by the library to pick up some media on hold.

I'm pretty sure if we did all these things in a car it would not only have taken longer, but it would have been much less pleasant, and of course use expensive fuel.

Now I don't feel like I'm some sort of good example or anything. LOL. Just putting it out there.

What a nice way to finish the first day of the work week after a great weekend of mountain biking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Not a dramatic or traumatic as a stolen car but my return flight from Hannover to Stuttgart was cancelled and it was the last of the day yesterday. So me, two coworkers, and a complete stranger from the airport rented a car and drove it all night, cannonball run style. I arrived at 4:15 this morning just over 24 hr day. So no bike commute yesterday and today I am staying home to recover. But we did get to see a real stunner of a sunset.

mtbr member
    Dude, it's been hot. The low this morning was 74F. Highs have been consistent in the upper 80s and low 90s. We're getting hit with severe thunderstorms as I'm typing this. Hopefully everything will be cleared out for the ride home.

Sucks about the car being stolen, Train Wreck. The bright side is you get to ride your bike to work.

CB of the East
    Wow, on the stolen car. What kind of car was it? Joyride? Did it ever get recovered?

s0ckeyeus, HOT...NOT, not here anyway. Last night was 42 and raining, blah.

Nice sunset pic jeremy. The drive sounds like an adventure. The stranger wasn't Keanu Reeves was it?

After a high intensity KOM snatching ride on Sat, a MTB ride on Sun, a mountain ride on Mon and a fast pace (to stay warm) rain ride yesterday my legs feel like wood today.

My head feels like wood too. I put on my rain helmet this morning and immediately grabbed my summer helmet and tried to put that on too. duh.

Up In Smoke
    Wow, on the stolen car. What kind of car was it? Joyride? Did it ever get recovered?
    Yep, joyride. I was able to recover the car last night. It was in the next town, abandoned at an apartment complex with a dead battery, still had gas, and nothing really stolen. '97 Honda Accord, easy to break into, easy to steal. I'll be adding a secret circuit to the ignition so this doesn't happen again.

CB of the East
    Wow on a 22 year old car running enough to be stolen. Glad you got it back!

mtbr member
    Yeah good you got your car back train wreck.

Jeremy how fast have driven on the autobahn? Past 200 kph or slow only?

Nice weather again today. Took a detour home to add a few km, met wife n kids at the payground near home and rode the last 10min together. Long weekend off now, hope to get some time for bike building. I have 2 similar bikes on which I want to swap all components.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Jeremy how fast have driven on the autobahn? Past 200 kph or slow only?

Fastest I have driven to date is 240kph. With no one in the car but me. 180kph with my family along for the ride. Also the roads and the bike paths here are amazing. No place I have ever been has such nice well maintained infrastructure.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Yep, joyride. I was able to recover the car last night. It was in the next town, abandoned at an apartment complex with a dead battery, still had gas, and nothing really stolen. '97 Honda Accord, easy to break into, easy to steal. I'll be adding a secret circuit to the ignition so this doesn't happen again.
    Had a similar experience with a 96 accord. They took only the radio and cut the cat converter out. Oh an busted the passenger window to get in... glad you got it back.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Wow, so much drama.

I woke up Tuesday feeling poorly but drove to work anyway due to the pouring rain and hail. Ended up staying home in bed yesterday.

Woke up tired today but ready to ride. Still cool in the morning here, only 40F. But predicted to hit 70 this afternoon. Uneventful but nice ride in this a.m. Only real excitement was having to practically panic stop due to a pair of Mallard Ducks deciding they had to cross the path in front of me. Couldn't wait. I guess they know pedestrians have the right of way. When did ducks learn to read anyway?

My oldest boy will be taking a two week trip to Italy and Greece in just over two weeks. Found out last night night that he has a five hour layover in Munich. Too bad he can't hop a ride to the Hofbršuhaus for a Radler! Then maybe see the Glockenspiel.

train wreck, glad to hear they recovered your car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Glad you got your car back TW!

Nice grocery haul Jack.

The flood waters have continued to rise here. The street in front of work is now closed and half our parking lot is inundated. It's supposed to linger at this level for the next 4 or 5 days...we're closing up shop and heading to Bentonville.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-mainstreet.jpg  

How was your commute today?-parkinglot.jpg  

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Squeakymcgillicuddy,

Reminds me of a few years ago, we had a lot of snow melt and lotsa rain. Bike to work day started like this:

And at about 5:15 that evening it started raining. Around 6:15 the rains subsided leaving us with this:

Just behind where the two people in the background are walking is the street, they are in the parking lot. The rains came so fast that the water rose up out of nowhere. Even after teh rains stopped and the waters receeded some, the water was still over the top tube of my bike. I was riding and all you could see were my handle bars and seat. had to repack or replace all my bearings. I was never more glad that I sent my son home with his mom after we had a nice cup of coffee upon ariving at work that morning. He wanted to stay the day and ride home. I am so thankful he didn't get caught in those rising waters.

T

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Almost beat the monsoon home lol about a mile wet riding out of 6, coulda been worse. On a good note made the whole climb home in next to lowest gear. I've always called it second but my brother says it's ninth needless to say I think I'm right

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cars go lowest to highest, easiest>hardest, so it seems to me bikes would do the same. I'd call it second too. Now, if you have multiple chain rings there is a ton of overlap.

Anyway, always nice when you climb a hill without having to resort to using your bailout gear! In a week or two you'll be doing it in third gear!

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by z1r View Post
    Cars go lowest to highest, easiest>hardest, so it seems to me bikes would do the same. I'd call it second too. Now, if you have multiple chain rings there is a ton of overlap.

Anyway, always nice when you climb a hill without having to resort to using your bailout gear! In a week or two you'll be doing it in third gear!
    My thought pattern is the more teeth in the rear sprocket the higher the gear. So 2nd gear has more teeth than 1st which has the least amount of teeth.

since 4/10/2009
    My thought pattern is the more teeth in the rear sprocket the higher the gear. So 2nd gear has more teeth than 1st which has the least amount of teeth.
    Nope. Your thought pattern does not match the rest of the bicycle industry.

Bigger cog=lower gear. It reverses for chainrings where smaller=lower. Lower gear=easier to pedal every time.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Bigger cog=lower gear. It reverses for chainrings where smaller=lower. Lower gear=easier to pedal every time.

Agreed, more teeth on the rear equals lower gear. The lower the gear, the easier to pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

I hate when my brother is right lol. I need to go single gear on my commuter. Once I can make the entire climb home in my highest gear I'll have to consider it.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I hate when my brother is right lol. I need to go single gear on my commuter. Once I can make the entire climb home in my highest gear I'll have to consider it.
    Hmm...you may want to consider keeping whatever gears you can, especially for commuting and considering that you're relatively new-ish to it. I forget, you have a relatively short commute?
    dang

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Hmm...you may want to consider keeping whatever gears you can, especially for commuting and considering that you're relatively new-ish to it. I forget, you have a relatively short commute?
    I have to set goals for myself even early in the game. It is probably best to have gears and not use them than to need them and not have them. Yes, my commute is about 6 miles each way.

mtbr member
    I didnt commute but participated in the critical mass in town today for the first time. The usual lots of people with bikes of all sorts from minimized fixie to big cargo bike with huge trailer. I corked some streets along the way, had one driver getting annoyed and he wanted to start yelling at me, but some big bad guys on a bike came to my help and just the sight of them calmed him down The subway line is obstructed and I have to take a train. I barely made it and didnt have the time to get a ticket so I hope no one asks for one during the 15min. ride. So I wanted an adventure and now I am in the middle of one

Will sort out some pics early next week, busy the next two days. Happy weekend every1!
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:39 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Had to drop the car off to finally take the snow tires off, so I pedaled the BMX from there. I think we are finally safe from snow for a few months. Supposed to take a gravel ride in the Victory Basin Wildlife Management Area on Sunday, I hope the thunderstorms don't materialize. https://vtfishandwildlife.com/sites/...asin%20WMA.pdf

mtbr member
    ^^ no one here yet?

It was a hot night and already 20C when I got on the bike this morning. Rode in just before some thunderstorms and rain. 23C on the way home and cloudy. One of the very few days in a year that I can ride in shorts, tshirt and sandals on both rides. More thunderstorms are expected so the weather radar is going to be my best friend during the next days.

Mtbx did you make it home without thunderstorms?

CB of the East
    ^^Not much to report.

Not that warm here yet but getting better.

mtbr member
    Three sunny days with no rain! Metal fatigue claimed the chainstay rear fender mount last ride. Planning on riding to cardio rehab and back tomorrow morning. Will try locking the bike to the hospital sign near the main entrance as I found no bike racks and the foot traffic there is pretty high.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, that is amazing! Sun has been tough to find here. Ride in was dry and ride home wasn't. Lucked out yesterday on an adventure ride in the NorthEast Kingdom of VT, missed the scattered thunderstorms, rode dirt roads in the Sylvio Conte National Wildlife Refuge and only saw 1 vehicle and 1 person in about 20 miles. The black flies may have reduce the population, lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-nek1.jpg  

How was your commute today?-nek2.jpg  

How was your commute today?-nek3.jpg  

How was your commute today?-nek4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I know a lot of you guys are Strava users and had a couple of questions:

* For those that have upgraded to Summit - do you feel $60 is good value?*
    * For those with a Heart Rate monitor - does Strava natively pick up your HRM?
    * When on the bike, do you use the actual strava app or do you allow another app (Polar Flow) to "push"/"sync" the ride?**

* - With me Commuting 14 miles each way both my wife and mom like the idea of the "beacon" feature.

** - I was playing around with Polar Flow and saw that I could sync Flow > Strava. This morning's ride now has two entries. One from Strava; one from PowerFlow push.

I slept in an extra 1 hr 15 min this morning. Riding in today I broke 3 personal records. Riding under daylight as opposed to the cover of darkness apparently had an impact. The temps in the morning are getting warmer, but I'm still hitting pockets of "fog" and wow do they cool you off really, really quickly.

I was talking to my LBS, and there is apparently going to be a Trek/Strava Challenge in July based on Mileage. So be on the look out, you might win a new bike!

CB of the East
    MTXB, black flies have been horrid in spots. The good news is that you could probably use them for nourishment if you keep your mouth open when you ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Jelako View Post
    I know a lot of you guys are Strava users and had a couple of questions:
    * For those that have upgraded to Summit - do you feel $60 is good value?*
    Not really. I'm a big strava whore and I only did the free trial on summit. I didn't find much use. If I always rode with a power meter it seems like it would offer more. www.veloviewer.com is a data geek's paradise though and only about $20/year. It pulls your data from Strava.
    * For those with a Heart Rate monitor - does Strava natively pick up your HRM?
    The phone app might if you have a bluetooth monitor but probably not. I don't think any phones pick up ANT+ but most bike computers do. Some straps have both. Some new watches (like my Fenix) have the GPS computer and wrist based heart rate but the accuracy is crap. The heartrate reported from my watch during activities is nearly useless. If you use a strap the watch will read the strap instead. (Edit: it also depends on your phone: https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...the-iPhone-app)
    * When on the bike, do you use the actual strava app or do you allow another app (Polar Flow) to "push"/"sync" the ride?**
    I use a garmin Fenix. Before that a Garmin Edge 500. Garmin Connect automatically pulls it from the watch and pushes it to Strava when I stop the ride. When I used the app I would constantly forget to start or stop the ride.

* - With me Commuting 14 miles each way both my wife and mom like the idea of the "beacon" feature.
    My wife and I use google location sharing. It's free, always on and once let me find her phone that fell out of her pocket on a run.

** - I was playing around with Polar Flow and saw that I could sync Flow > Strava. This morning's ride now has two entries. One from Strava; one from PowerFlow push.
    Sometimes it catches that it is the same activity but not always. Just pick one method or you will need to manually delete the other.

Speaking of Strava, I've been on a pretty good KOM streak for an old guy. I still have plenty of fun with it.

You know what will cool you off? 42F in June. Shorts, windbreaker and full gloves did the trick but damn, June should be warmer. I did get to ride in with my wife.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The Black Flies here have been so thick I finally had to shave my beard so i could wear some type of gaiter to keep em out of my mouth. I used to spend ten minutes in the morning just shaking em out of my beard.

Ride in was great this a.m., 55F, perfect temp.

Could't ride in yesterday. Had to stop by the DMV first thing yesterday morning to get a replacement Driver's License. Lost my wallet Friday as I was changing into my cycling gear. Good news is, I got to work yesterday and checked with the lost and found and lo and behold, they had my wallet, with everything still inside!!!! What a great start to the day!

On the way to my truck I ran into a coworker who was getting ready to ride home. He stops me and tells me he just bought a new house and is now about two miles from my house. I got home, changed into my gear, grabbed the single speed and hit the trails and first person I see is my coworker so we ride over to his house for a tour before I hit the single track.

I was supposed to buy a used Single Speed MTB on Sunday on the way back from dropping my mom off at the airport. But, considering I didn't have a wallet and no way to get any cash from the bank, I had to cancel. Had money yesterday but the bike already sold. I'm taking it as an omen that I'm not supposed to buy any more bikes!

mtbr member
    Im not on strava, I only have an old fashioned bikecomputer

Nice pics mtbx! Looks like some fine gravelroads to ride.

Had to hurry again today before the rain started. It rained for 4hrs then the sun came out so it got very humid. Luckily it didnt get too hot so the ride home was nice.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Speaking of Strava, I've been on a pretty good KOM streak for an old guy. I still have plenty of fun with it.
    Commuting is key. The repetition of the commute means I eventually hit the segment on the day with a tailwind, all green lights, no stopped cars, etc...and everything going right... even if it takes 50 tries.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

CB of the East
    ^^No doubt. If you do the same route 250 times a year. You are going to hit the right set of conditions on a day with fresh legs after you got a good night sleep...Not to mention that commuting every day keeps you stronger than the average rider. Segments with traffic lights suck. Especially if they are at the end and you were having a good run.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've dropped 17 lbs in 6 weeks, hopefully with continued mileage (and not going crazy at the dining table) that will continue to be a trend...then maybe I can start chasing down some of these KOMs.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've dropped 17 lbs in 3 weeks, hopefully with continued mileage (and not going crazy at the dining table) that will continue to be a trend...then maybe I can start chasing down some of these KOMs.
    Wow, good for you. I dropped 5 lbs and that's it. Now that the days and weather are better I am seeing my speeds improve but getting a KOM on my route ain't gonna happen. Too many really strong riders. I am happy just getting PR's these days. Been hoping to shed 20 lbs but have only managed 5. I'll keep plugging away.

Keep it up!

CB of the East
    I've dropped 17 lbs in 3 weeks, hopefully with continued mileage (and not going crazy at the dining table) that will continue to be a trend...then maybe I can start chasing down some of these KOMs.
    If you start showing up on the leaderboards riding an e-bike but posting as a regular ride you are going to find out how the flag feature on Strava works.

Moderator Moderator
    MTXB, black flies have been horrid in spots. The good news is that you could probably use them for nourishment if you keep your mouth open when you ride.

Moderator Moderator
    I found a Toyota electronic key on Monday. Messaged the quilting store (yes, so Vermonty) it was in front of. Someone had called them Friday looking for it, but they did not find it in the store, and were not sure of their number. They tried one off the phone log, but they said no, not ours. Kind of disappointing when you are so close to doing a good deed. Left them my number and also bringing the key to the PD, I've heard those suckers are expensive.

Good rides today except challenging winds and 1 heavy equipment trailer driven by a dope!

CB of the East
    ^^My wife lost one on a 5 mile trail run in the fall once. We did manage to find it with a metal detector and quite a few hours. I'll confirm they are expensive.

I skipped the ride today. I need to do things right after work and it was supposed to be raining this morning. It's actually just a little drippy and would have been a great ride in. Oh well, tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you start showing up on the leaderboards riding an e-bike but posting as a regular ride you are going to find out how the flag feature on Strava works.
    It's a fair point, it will be interesting to see how this is addressed. That said, there are some segments on my ride that show "45 mph" with times that would be impossible on anything short of an actual motor cycle. i'm not out to break some poor soul's heart, but there are MORE than enough entries that are beyond ridiculous.

I get your point though, if i was in in "TURBO" for my entire ride that's not really comparable to a cyclist not on eBIke, any more than a "runner" who was competing against someone on rollerblades.

CB of the East
    I'm surprised that nobody has flagged those rides. I just did one of them for you. I ain't proud.

I'm not sure if you can create segments for every activity type. You might be able to create a segment on your e-bike activity that only applies to ebikes. If you haven't figured it out, Strava on the desktop has a lot more functionality than the app.

mtbr member
    First commute in way too long, was really relaxing once I got into the protected lanes. Our drivers are terrible (seriously, our province commonly wins Canada's Worst Driver), so even though they slow down my time I always take the cycle tracks.

Plus, mellow pedaling means enjoying the pathway along the river. Its nice. And honestly just as fast as driving.

mtbr member
    MTBX very well done with the carkey, probably the police will get it back to them sooner or later

Jelako, well done on the weight loss. Unfortunately, I did not drop any weight since I started commuting. However I dont wanna know how I would look when wouldnt ride everyday....

Another hot day here, 20C this morning and 29C on the way home. The predicted thunderstorms passed east and west of town, lucky me. Same forecast for tomorrow, hope to be lucky again...but with those temps I just ride in the rain as long as lightning doesnt get too close.

I finally cleaned up my SD card. Some pics of last Friday's critical mass ride here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/y6CPBrWnTiy3XBYcA

Question to those who participated a critical mass before: You also have all sorts of bikes there like cargo bikes, trikes, etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I've had almost a week off work due to the flooding. Water level is at it's highest right now...it's forecast to start going down, but it's been forecast to start going down for days now and it's only gotten higher so we'll see. Another 6 inches and it'll be in our building, cutting it close!

mtbr member
    Sounds tough squeak! Hope things get better soon.
    Last edited by cyclingdutchman; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    17k in 36 minutes today on the way home today. Had some favourable wind, but it was not gale force.

I am sure it was my best time ever
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Again a race against the rain this morning and this time it really almost got me. I was riding towards a dark sky and heard some thunder now and then. Parked my bike and by the time I walked into the building and sat down in my office, it started to rain and thunder. It was 20C this morning but afterwards it cooled down and it was cloudy and 16C on the way home. Never had that before.

RockyMTN: That is a respectable average, respect!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

8 C this morning 28 C on the way home but despite the wardrobe issues. It was a lovely day of riding. I was pretty fast on the way in but slow home the heat the remnants of a head cold and allergies but I made it as that is what counts.

Also 17km in 36min respect.

mtbr member
    13C on the way in, 25C on the way home. It was a sunny day without any rain or thunderstorms. Made a nice detour on the way home and logged 30k today. Planning a family ride with another family tomorrow, 18k are planned. They have a 6y old but she is big and strong they said. We'll see

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    14C and 28 C today. Didn't ride, had a work party to attend.

Yesterday was great though. Slightly colder but very fast ride in to work. 14.4 miles at 46 minutes. Average speeds on most of my segments was above 20 mph. Still, I got passed by this gal who was hoofing it! Turns out she's sponsored SS MTB racer. Kudo's, I was very impressed, especially considering she'd ridden six more miles than I did. On the way home I headed out to the park for some single track fun. Got in a 27 mile ride in the evening much of it on some nice trails. Including the 14.4 miles on the way to work I logged a bit over 41 miles. Feeling good.

Have a super weekend all.

Moderator Moderator
    Blowout on the way home, a 3" nail nailed it! At least there was no mystery as to the cause. That is what I get for leaving work 1 hour early. It sounded like something spun around in the spokes and exploded. Fixed the flat, stoped at LBS for more air and a quickie brake adjustment (the old Vbrakes got messed uo somehow in the nail incident and needed to have the tension spring adjustment tweaked so as not to rub. A string of 3 nice days and 2 more this weekend!! Bike rack at work has been full the last couple days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    my thursday morning commute in turned out good. We had lightning and thunder showers when i woke up, but it stopped before i left. Traffic was light since schools are out for summer so i took most direct route, and the majority of lights went in my favor. Winds were light, although prevailing winds usually are in my favor in this direction. I managed a personal best and covered my 10.24 miles (sorry im stuck in this archaic system) in :38. The clouds kept the temp down otherwise its mid 80ís F now. Only downside was more road crust on bike and me, i have yet to run full fenders.

Moderator Moderator
    Slow to get going. How was your commute today?-porcupine.jpg The dog got quilled on our walk.

CB of the East
    Oh, I know that look of shame. At least it looks like your dog was smart enough to stop and there aren't too many.

My wildlife encounter over the weekend was riding the trails with the dogs off-leash to have a coyote start howling at us to get away. Of course the dogs were very interested in that. I saw her (I'm guessing) a few times but they didn't' notice until I got them on leash and away from the spot. I got down the trail 500' and let the dogs off so I could ride out faster and the coyote followed us for 1/2 mile almost to the road. At one point one of the dogs turned back but with enough screaming she decided to leave it. Adrenaline I didn't need. We found another trail with another offleash dog and that escalated from the normal sniffing to a minor dog fight. I think everyone was a little wound up. The whole riding with dogs thing is being re-evaluated.

In contrast, the commute in was wonderful. It was the first morning that shorts sleeves were enough.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Wow, I have seen a few coyotes but never howling at me or following! I really wanted a trail dog, but mine is 7 and not reliable enough with all the critters and other dogs out there. I may try some summer bikejoring which helps with critters but could make him more reactive to loose dogs. You're right, not too many quills but he screamed bloody murder so I took him to the vet. Some were deep in and bled some. Still groggy from the knockout drugs.

Had a couple bad drivers recently. A local cop stopped at the stop sign (I had the ROW) but then surged forward when I was right in front of him. I don't think he was being a jerk, I think he saw me just after he gunned it. Another driver pulled out from a gas station into traffic, but inexplicably put it in reverse just as I was about to pass behind. Still not sure what she was trying to do.

mtbr member
    Did about 20 km in 50 minutes this morning on the Big Dummy, i ride in a 3/4 circle around the shore so i started with wind in the back, ended up with last 8 km headwind bleghh, but after a shower, a banana and a coco my day can begin!
    Surly Big Dummy XT 2x9
    Salsa Fargo under construction

CB of the East
    ^^That's truckin' on a Big Dummy!

I met up with a friend and did 47 miles after work last night. With the 10 in the morning it was my longest day so far since last fall. https://www.relive.cc/view/2440356370. It was pouring this morning and my wife was taking the car so I decided it would be smart to take it with her. I brought the bike and it is supposed to clear by afternoon.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Back on the bike after an 8 day fishing trip in Ontario, Canada. Fish were caught, fish were eaten, wine and beer was consumed and a good time was had by all.

To celebrate my return, I stretched my RT commute to 44 miles yesterday. I just felt like riding.

Regarding Strava HRM, my youngest son works for Apple on the watch team. He gave me an Apple watch 4 for my birthday and I have been using the Strava app on it to track my rides and HR for the last six months. The GPS/barometric altimeter part is spot on with the Garmin device I used to use. HR seems pretty darn accurate, but I've never tested it against a Polar strap or anything like that. Bloody expensive device but quite well done and I am very happy with mine.

Warm here in Seattle this week, will likely be 85F/29.5C for the ride home today, but I don't mind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Poor dog! Hope S/he learned something.

Finally back at work after a week and a half off. Couldn't ask for better weather.

mtbr member
    Another safe and pretty boring ride. The old Garmin 500 seems to be having terminal battery issues.

mtbr member
    Ouch MTBX I hope the dog learned something there?....

Hey BrianMC nice to hear from you!

FlushingShadow that is a repectable time on a big dummy! I think I would make that time on my CX bike but only when it is flat

It started to rain this morning when I left but it were just some sprinkles. I was lucky though, my wife left 5minutes later with the kids and she said it was pouring at that time. Ride home was sunny and nice.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Been having pretty decent riding days in Northern NJ considering a lot of rain. Only left the bike home 1 time out of 5 rides and only got wet, I mean rained on, once. Gonna try a different route tomorrow for the hell of it. Muscle confusion I want to call it lol

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Short sleeves and shorts for the ride in this morning. It was 65F/18C! Ride was great except for the suicide rabbits and bugs in my teeth. Predicting 92F/33C for the ride home tonight. Whew.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Glad y'all appear to be doing mostly rad. Also I'm glad we don't have porcupines in my area, as my dogs would probably get into that situation every other week. What with the way they bark at rabbits and neighborhood children...

I've been commuting regularly, with nothing really to mention. Today I didn't as we have thunderstorms projected all afternoon. However, I did pass a guy commuting on his bike, and I couldn't help but want to get out of my truck and tell him he makes it harder for the rest of us. He ran every stop sign on the road, regardless of if a driver had approached first (clearly needs to work on acceleration skills/quads) and then at a stop light that crosses 5 lanes of traffic he got into ther empty right turn lane and used it to get into the crosswalk. Light was red, and he wasn't looking that hard. More of a miracle he didn't get hit, but people were honking. UGH.

dang

CB of the East
    I did the AM ride in short sleeves and shorts too but I think the starting temp was closer to 50F. Once the sun got up a little higher it warmed some. I extended the AM commute to 25 miles. This afternoon is supposed to be 75F and beautiful. I think I'll try to extend that one too to get in 50 today.How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    So if you build a mixed use trail and a dedicated walking-only trail, 50' apart, starting and ending at the same location, approximately 95% of pedestrians will walk on the MUP.
    I'd like to provide a written apology to those pedestrians today:

This morning, as I was sailing down that empty bike path on my road bike at a pretty brisk speed, I heard a bell ringing furiously, not behind me, but beside me. It was coming from an E-bike on that adjacent walkway, barreling past the pedestrians and passing me at about 45kph.

I'm sorry. I see now why you won't walk on the walkway.

It's because of that guy.

mtbr member
    Nice temps finally over there I see!

We are hunted by thunderstorms all the time but so far I managed to stay out of harms way. Also because of the warm temps and regular rainshowers it is very humid and sticky here. Rode both ways in light rain today and my weather app sent two warnings for severe thunderstorms during the ride home. Luckily they passed just east of the city.

mtbr member
    Oh I see we are now moving towards 200 posts per page. Man, gone are the days where it was only 25 per page and where we filled a page per day

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just some beautiful weather and rides today. With the holidays and vacations I have been riding less and it shows in my speed. However Iím still riding and itís still great.

Does anyone have a hydration drink they would recommend? Now that itís warmer Iím sweating more and absolutely salt covered when I get done.

mtbr member
    Same here, very nice weather. Holiday season is over.....went paddling tonight and we saved a duck that was wrapped in fishingrod wire. Took 15 minutes to cut him completely free and then he shitted on my deck when we let him go

Jeremy, a very good sport drink is an alcoholfree white beer "weizen bier". Also I like to mix 3parts water with 1 part applejuice, put it in a thermal bottle with icecubes to keep it cold for a while. If you use mineral water its called " apfelschorle".

CB of the East
    Unless I'm doing over 25 miles I don't give much thought to hydration. I get so much salt in my diet that I'm glad to get rid of some. For longer rides I'll grind some Himalayan table salt into whatever I am drinking. For endurance events I use hammer nutrition endurolytes but I don't usually need those unless I'm doing 4+ hours. I also crush calcium, magnesium & zinc tablets and make them into power bars for longer events. In the summer I keep a plastic vial of Himalayan salt in my bike pack for those long rides that end up being longer and hotter than expected. (Probably a longer answer than you wanted)

Yesterday my wife nd I had somebody roll down their window and "inform" (yell at) us that we needed to get to the right. We were on a downhill section of a rural road with a 30MPH speed limit that drops to 25MPH at the bottom of the hill. We were doing 25 and the pavement on that road is almost non-existent especially to the right. (In fact, it is marked to be re-paved now). I gave chase to "inform" her that she was wrong but I couldn't catch her. In our state bikes can take the full lane when they need to. We actually just had a good article printed about bike law in the local paper: https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/...XPJTMh0gc4gLwo

Otherwise commutes have been good. I've timed car use for the 2 rainy trips I would have had. I've had 2 50+ mile days this week. It's all good.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    ...... Took 15 minutes to cut him completely free and then he shitted on my deck when we let him go
    That was his way of thanking you!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Unless I'm doing over 25 miles I don't give much thought to hydration. I get so much salt in my diet that I'm glad to get rid of some. For longer rides I'll grind some Himalayan table salt into whatever I am drinking. For endurance events I use hammer nutrition endurolytes but I don't usually need those unless I'm doing 4+ hours. I also crush calcium, magnesium & zinc tablets and make them into power bars for longer events. In the summer I keep a plastic vial of Himalayan salt in my bike pack for those long rides that end up being longer and hotter than expected. (Probably a longer answer than you wanted)

Yesterday my wife nd I had somebody roll down their window and "inform" (yell at) us that we needed to get to the right. We were on a downhill section of a rural road with a 30MPH speed limit that drops to 25MPH at the bottom of the hill. We were doing 25 and the pavement on that road is almost non-existent especially to the right. (In fact, it is marked to be re-paved now). I gave chase to "inform" her that she was wrong but I couldn't catch her. In our state bikes can take the full lane when they need to. We actually just had a good article printed about bike law in the local paper: https://www.pressherald.com/2019/06/...XPJTMh0gc4gLwo

Otherwise commutes have been good. I've timed car use for the 2 rainy trips I would have had. I've had 2 50+ mile days this week. It's all good.
    Problem is, the law doesn't protect you from stupidity!

My ride last Saturday took me up into the mountains on a narrow two lane road. The descent is at speeds of around 30-35 mph and the speed limit is 35 with lots of "suggested" speeds of 25 in the curvy sections. There is very little shoulder in many sections so I too take the lane so as not to be edged off the road by someone. Luckily, most people here seem to be pretty informed and or considerate and don't try to squeeze by.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Great commutes for me today. And I finally got a chance to take pictures of one of my favorite sections. Usually the people that live in these houses are out back gardening and I donít want to intrude on their lives taking pictures. But today only one was out and I felt ok taking pictures.

Also that you all for the feedback on the sports drinks. I got my wife on it too so Iím sure Iíll have a very healthy option soon.

mtbr member
    Bedwards 2 days with over 50miles? Kudos to you....!!

Nice pics jeremy! And I keep asking: what is that disc on your bar? GPS or something?

Hot here today. 28C on the way home and #1 and me were late for soccer training because of a thunderstorm passing through. When we left it was still raining but at 26C we didnt care much.

Sunday is official cycling demo where we get to ride on the autobahn. Kids are talking about it for weeks already. Will report afterwards. Have a nice weekend everyone!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post

Also that you all for the feedback on the sports drinks. I got my wife on it too so Iím sure Iíll have a very healthy option soon.
    I remeber my friend telling me there was tales of a euro racer back in the 80-90ís that was said on training rides he would go into the fields and milk a cow for on the spot refreshment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice pics jeremy! And I keep asking: what is that disc on your bar? GPS or something?

Sorry thought I already answered that. It is a Bluetooth speaker. Specifically the UE Roll. Itís waterproof and has pretty good sound.

Moderator Moderator
    Great pix Jeremy, it looks like a nice place to ride.

By some miracle yesterday, all 8 lights on my 8 mile commute were green - I don't believe that has ever happened before! I had to slow for 2 to turn, but not stop. I believe that was my best time too, a great start to the day. A downpour midday and then dry for the ride home.

Bedwards, I had not heard of Himalayan salt, is it delivered by Sherpas or yak?

mtbr member
    Ok jeremy , got it now. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Sunday is official cycling demo where we get to ride on the autobahn. Kids are talking about it for weeks already. Will report afterwards. Have a nice weekend everyone!
    Sounds neat! For polymer juice i used to use Cytomax but for some reason its gotten hard to find and they cut their flavors down.
    Lately ive been just riding with water and along with usual sport bars and gels, ive been carrying lightly salted almonds and pretzle sticks. Almonds are quite high in magnesium.

mtbr member
    Root yes it was neat everything went well and we had lots of fun. We made sure this time that we were close to the front and therefore had some breaks in between. At certain points we had to wait for other groups from other directions to join or to wait until the last ones had caught up. Especially on the bridge and on the autobahn some people take a lot of time for pics and selfies until the police tells them to move on. During a break an icecream truck drove by and stopped spontaneously, the guy had the best day of his life probably. My son did well, set a new personal distance record with 28km but he had a dip at the end. I think the pace was a bit too high for him in the long run. He got an extra big icecream afterwards. Will post some pics this evening.

Ride in was nice this morning, sunny and 17C already and I was really fast without kid on the back seat and panniers on the lowrider. The 18kg touring tank felt featherlight this morning

CB of the East
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Bedwards, I had not heard of Himalayan salt, is it delivered by Sherpas or yak?
    UPS! https://www.seasalt.com/ancient-ocea...192=85&203=493. You can buy really fancy BASE endurance salt for somewhere around $1000/lb https://www.baseperformance.com/blog...salt-is-better but I think the pink Himalayan is BASEicly the same thing. It is pretty much salt. Grind up a 20 cent magnesium supplement and mix it with your salt and you are good.

This morning however, I extended my commute to 32 miles and hydrated with 20oz of coffee. It was pretty chilly to start so I didn't sweat much. That will be this afternoon when it is 77F

Riding on the autobahn sounds cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Had two great rides today. Even at the length of time it takes me I love my bike time. I think either all my riding or my shoes have led me to a case of plantar fasciitis. Fortunately for me it doesnít effect my riding at all, only walking after I sleep of sit still for too long. No great pictures today but yesterday my wife and I (of nearly 17 years) got to go for a walk at sunset so Iíll include some of those for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited by jeremy_burke; 1 Week Ago at 07:33 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Pleasant rides on the BMX cruiser yesterday, with nice weather and pretty good drivers. A fair number of bikes at the rack, including our Deputy Commissioner. Still abysmal compared to the number of cars in the lot and parking garage. One way ride today and then a trailride at Millstone.

Retrieved my trailcam from near the reservoir and got some nice shots, including this otter (a first), raccoon, and whitetail deer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-rcnx0097.jpg  

How was your commute today?-rcnx0139.jpg  

How was your commute today?-rcnx0132.jpg  

CB of the East
    ^^Both sets of pictures are cool. I like the time lapse nature of the trail cam. Same 2 stones with lots of different lighting and activity.

I did a "Workday 100K" yesterday. Roughly 50K in the morning and 50K in the evening. I was thinking I'd try for 50 miles every day this week. I think that lasted 1 day since I wasn't feeling it this morning. I did pull out my old bike and ride in with my wife. I gave it it's thorough yearly servicing first (pumped up the tires).

mtbr member
    Last year was the wettest year on record here. We're 3" ahead of that this year, with no reprieve in site.

I was able to thread the needle yesterday and only get a tiny bit wet on my ride home. I drove in today. In retrospect, I might have been fine riding, but it looked dicey at the time and more storms are on the way this afternoon. I'm off Thursday - Monday. We were supposed to be going to NC, but we had to cancel that trip (my Pisgah ride will have to wait until the Fall ). Our back-up plan is camping and fishing closer to home, but we'll need the weather to cooperate a bit. Fingers crossed...

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Nice pics jeremy and mtbx!

s0ck - rode in Psigah a few years ago. I had a really good time. Different riding than we get here in the PNW.

Good call bedwards. I'd take a nice ride with my wife anytime over blowing up a bunch of miles

Rain here this morning. First rain ride in a good long time.

I've worn out the jockey wheels on my rear derailleur. I thought I would try some metal ones but can't seem to find any that fit. So, I guess I'll just order the plastic ones again...

mtbr member
    Jeremy, Mtbx: Those are really nice pics!

Sock that sounds -wet- ! You will become a rule #9 rider like Woodway! Next stop: wrecking a ti frame just by riding it

hot again today. The main bike had a flat and couldnt fix it yet, so I rode the CX bike today and will so for the rest of the week. 18C in, realy 28C on the way home. Luckily it was a bit cloudy so the sun wasnt baking too much.

Some pics of the bikedemo including Autobahn here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/mUUMryoxvY35Vi159

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, that was a popular event, pretty cool! When I was a kid,a truck fell thru the elevated part of the West Side Highway in NYC, so it was closed to traffic and opened to bikes, peds, dogwalkers, etc. I remember it fondly!

CB of the East
    Wow dtuchman, that almost seems too crowded to be fun.

woodway, I've gone through a few sets of those myself. I've got a pair in queue to replace the ones on my cross bike but I'm waiting until everything is really good and warn out. At least make sure you get the ceramic ones.

I extended the morning ride in to 35 miles. It was wet and foggy and the bike got covered with a ridiculous amount of pollen.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    s0ck - rode in Psigah a few years ago. I had a really good time. Different riding than we get here in the PNW.
    I was pretty excited for the trip. I had my route planned and everything. I've ridden a few places in NC but never made it to Pisgah proper. Oh well. We hope to make it down there in October.

Fog this morning on the way in. Rain is going to be scattered throughout the day. I'm hoping to get home before the next big system moves in. Fun times. I haven't been able to mtb in nearly 2 weeks now.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Great Pics everyone. CDM, that is almost what bike to work day will feel like next week. 30,000 riders expected and that really fills up the bike paths.

Today was an interesting ride to work. I was assaulted by another cyclist. The guy flew past me without any warning. So, I caught up and reminded him that it's required on the MUP to announce when passing. He was like, "huh?" I tried explaining that not only is it required, it is common courtesy. He got pretty steamed, we exchanged a few choice words, then, as I was starting to pedal off, he dropped his bike and shoved me from behind. I was already clipped in to my pedals. Ended up in a tangled mess one hand in a puddle of water. The Denver Park Department employee who just happened to be there asked if he should call the cops. The other guy jumped on his bike and headed back the way he came from and I just wanted to avoid any further conflict so high tailed it in the direction I was originally headed so as to put as much distance between us as possible. Bike Path rage, bummer!

mtbr member
    Whoa Z1R never heard of cyclists attacking each other. I can understand you though, I myself dont like it when people dont use a bell or shout. Here in Germany, even when they do, it is always when they are already next to you. I have learned to signal when I am far behind them so that they have time to notice, think, look and react.

MTBX and all, the bikedemo is organised once a year and is indeed a real big event. Mainly because of the Autobahn and because it crosses the bridge, which is normally only open for motorised traffic. I know that in the Netherlands it is common to open a new stretch of highway on the weekend for non-motorised traffic before opening regularly Sunday night.

Bedwards, that dirt was from 1 ride only? And since it was wet, did it leave a stripe on your back too??

Hot day today, 33C / 91F on the way home, yuck. Some thunderstorms passed through now and it is getting cooler now and the next days. I am getting used to the CX bike with backpack. I have a Deuter Airvent backpack, works well in summer. Looks like this:

https://www.wandersuechtig.de/images...%20450x600.jpg

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Hot day today, 33C / 91F on the way home, yuck. Some thunderstorms passed through now and it is getting cooler now and the next days. I am getting used to the CX bike with backpack. I have a Deuter Airvent backpack, works well in summer. Looks like this:

https://www.wandersuechtig.de/images...%20450x600.jpg
    Wow, thankfully it has been a cool year so far, today's high expected to be 28C/83F. that's fine with me.

I ride my CX bike almost daily and always with a backpack. I guess I still resist Panniers because of the racks. I like to ride this bike on gravel often enough that I want to avoid adding racks. I do love the fenders though, especially in this rainy season.

I think I will buy a bottle of bear repellent to carry in one of my water bottle holders just in case I encounter another angry cyclist. Sad, but what you say is too often the case here too. I try to ring my bell, which for some reason seems to upset pedestrians less than shouting, at least 10M away and not right next to them. It's a shame that so many people only think of themselves and think that as long as something is more convenient for them, its ok to do.

Oh, well. I hope to go for a ride on the MTB with my youngest son when I get home. A little dirt might make it all better.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Dang z1r, that's crazy. I'm glad things didn't escalate further.

Extended my 1.5 mile commute to 14.5 today because I just learned my office has a shower for bike commuters. Wow. Nice to rinse off anyway.

Common theme today, was going through the park and this woman in front of me on the path was running. She had headphones on and I called out but you no avail, so I went to pass, and right then she runs in front of me to get to a water fountain. Fortunately I halfway anticipated this and wasn't really booking it, so I was able to stop inches from hitting her. She did apologize, which was nice, and hopefully she didn't hear me grumbling "you wouldn't have to be sorry if you didn't have ear buds in and bothered to look around" (highly censored).

dang

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Dang z1r, that's crazy. I'm glad things didn't escalate further.

Extended my 1.5 mile commute to 14.5 today because I just learned my office has a shower for bike commuters. Wow. Nice to rinse off anyway.

Common theme today, was going through the park and this woman in front of me on the path was running. She had headphones on and I called out but you no avail, so I went to pass, and right then she runs in front of me to get to a water fountain. Fortunately I halfway anticipated this and wasn't really booking it, so I was able to stop inches from hitting her. She did apologize, which was nice, and hopefully she didn't hear me grumbling "you wouldn't have to be sorry if you didn't have ear buds in and bothered to look around" (highly censored).

I know lots of folks who say they don;t announce anymore because so many people are wearing earbuds. Ironically, the dude that passed me this morning was wearing them.

Glad you were able to stop. And, it was nice that she apologized.

That reminds me, we have a shower here too. Since I seem to be waking up earlier in the summer, I may start riding in sooner and taking the long route. At least now I know I can clean up before work.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I know lots of folks who say they don;t announce anymore because so many people are wearing earbuds. Ironically, the dude that passed me this morning was wearing them.

Glad you were able to stop. And, it was nice that she apologized.

That reminds me, we have a shower here too. Since I seem to be waking up earlier in the summer, I may start riding in sooner and taking the long route. At least now I know I can clean up before work.
    I get feeling dismayed, but it's always worth a shot. I don't understand why she chose the mup, when there's a foot only lane five feet away.

And yeah, the work shower is an amazing thing I've found. I don't have to be sweaty for the first hour of work. I'm one of those folks that sweats like an absolute pig, though.

dang

CB of the East
    Wow z1r bike path rage isn't good. I usually avoid the MUPs as much as possible. Yesterday was an exception because somebody stole my KOM on our rail trail. The only way to get it back and not be "that" A-hole cyclist was to do it early 6:00AM. I only saw 2 people in 9 miles and got my KOM back. I'm probably just encouraging somebody else to be "that" cyclist but, whatever. I didn't make the segments.

dutchman, that wasn't dirt. It was all pollen that came out of the air and stuck to my damp bike in the fog.

Rest day today. I carpooled in and need to shuttle a car back home. It's supposed to rain and my legs could use the break.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Man z1r that really sucks. I used to try "explaining" things to other cyclists, but it's hopeless. Kind of like this oldie but goodie:

Name:  thumb_are-you-coming-to-bed-icant-this-5-important-what-33066092.png
Views: 57
Size:  10.1 KB

Now I just keep my mouth shut and enjoy the ride. Glad that you are OK out of the encounter.

bedwards, that is crazy pollen. My allergies would be exploding...

Rain again this morning. Felt refreshing actually.

I'll cross over 3000 miles sometime next week so slightly ahead of my year mileage goal. I'd like to get over 400,000 feet climbed for the year and it looks like I'll end June just under 200,000 so slightly behind schedule. Need to find more hills...

CB of the East
    ^^Yeah, I saw somebody riding against traffic on our narrow country roads yesterday. I thought about explaining that if you ride against traffic that a car can't wait to go around you if there is oncoming traffic and that's the reason... Nevermind.

Woodway, you have me beat on mileage and hills. And we have a lot of hills.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That is a crazy amount of pollen! Allergies have been terrible here this year yet, the news reports all show the various allergen levels as being low. What gives?

I think I too will just keep my mouth shut. It galls me, but I alone can't change attitudes and certainly don't want someone to make good on their promise to knock my teeth out. Better to just enjoy the ride. Despite it all, I'm sticking to the MUP as it is loads better than the roads I'd have to take to work.

Dang, you guys are blowing me away mileage wise this year. We had too many days of ice earlier in the year. That's my excuse anyway. If I try real hard, I could break 2K by end of next week. Real Hard!

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So, I was just thinking about yesterday and remembered that on Saturday, as we were driving home from getting my son a "new" bike, we passed by a baseball field with cop cars everywhere and an ambulance. Yeah, you guessed it, that parents brawl at the 7 year olds baseball game that has gone viral. Just two miles from my house.

WTF is wrong with people?

mtbr member
    Well z1r you really seem to have bad luck with your encounters these days..mmwhere is the thread where everything always happens twice? Well we all know you cant fix stupid. Woodways pic applies and the oldie is still valid

Beat the rain today. At least it wasnt really hot, 23C is simply nice.

It looks like I am approx. 3 kph faster on the cx bike which is about 5 minutes on my route. I like it

I just booked an mtb course for me and #1. 2hrs on sat and sun, looking forward to it already.

mtbr member
    Sorry z1r, I hope that doesn't color the rest of your day, that guy was messed up. I am pissed for you, but glad you were able to ride away.

I love my bike commute, today was no exception. I am eager to make it regular again, after a string of health issues, including lingering plantar faciitis. I've got a more gradual route up the hill I am going to try out tonight, and am planning to take a break from riding every 3 days in a row or so, to avoid worsening the overuse injury.

mtbr member
    Forecast was for thunderstorms on Monday and Tuesday but just scattered showeres today so I rode and had a nice cooling sprinkling/mist. Still pretty slow, but faster than most my age!

Moderator Moderator
    Nice riding BrianMc, good to hear! Amazing stats Woodway!

I didn't ride yesterday and was not sad, as these were the conditions when it poured several inches in several hours. All kinds of flash flood warnings and road closures. After work a friend and I watched the Winooski river from the covered deck of a pub and it was mesmerizing seeing the debris come down the river and get caught at the base of the falls from an old dam. At one time there were 5 basketball/dodge balls, a pool noodle, and of course some logs caught there. Occasionally one would escape downstream and we would cheer - I guess we are easily entertained. I don't know what class of whitewater it was but you could see how easily a kayaker could get pinned underwater in that spot and never escape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How was your commute today?-rain.jpg  

CB of the East
    ^^We had the same rain. I was driving home in the truck and it was coming down so hard I had to slow to 25mph at times just for visibility.

Jeeze z1r the Coloradans are an angry group! I saw that fight pop up on my news feed.

The ride in had wet roads but no rain. It was a nice easy ride.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Can you believe parents fighting at a little league game? What the heck is the matter with people?

I saw a story in the local paper about the rain back east, crazy! Stay safe.

What kind of MTB course Dutchman?

Riding home last night I was on a MUP next to a freeway and someone threw a can of beer at me. The lane next to the MUP was headed in the opposite direction from me and my first clue was when the can hit the trail in front of me and exploded close enough that I got a little sprayed with beer (an aside, but it was Coors Light...come on, if you are going to huck a can of beer at me, at least throw a decent beer). Since traffic was moving at 65MPH that thing would have done some damage if it hit!

Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    ... it was Coors Light...come on, if you are going to huck a can of beer at me, at least throw a decent beer.
    He was just looking out for you ... - a Coors Light doesn't have the added calories that a decent beer has.

In all seriousness, glad he missed, and all's well!

Btw, hello to everyone, I'm hoping to become a part time commuter here very shortly. If I'm lucky, the weather will cooperate next week.

I'll be looking at 14mi (all roads, some shoulders/exposure) and 600-700ft elevation both ways. Did a dry run a week ago, 58min (Salsa Cutthroat). Easy to med pacing. Unfortunately, nothing scenic - just urban/industrial riding.

Fyi, I'm a mtbr that typically rides 100mi weekly (combination of roads, greenways, gravel and singletrack).
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS

https://www.strava.com/athletes/11152127

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodchips View Post
    Coors Light doesn't have the added calories that beer has.
    Fixed.

Also from this morning: Is everyone on an e-bike now?

Are they all rated for 50kph?

Have I mentioned I miss winter?

I have, haven't I?

mtbr member
    Just saw the video about the colorado mass fight on youtube *shiver*

Woodway it is just a beginner's MTB course / clinic with 2 hrs of practicing cornering, riding around pylons etc. I was at the soccerfield two 2 weekends ago and saw the clinic, then looked it up and booked it. No clue if it is going to help my son, but I also hope to meet some parents

And I would have reported that can of beer flying to you to the police. If they know the car they might have identified it on a security camera in the neighbourhood or something. You seem to take it lightly though ^^

Nice rides today. Planning on fixing my flat on Sunday and will also put on a new drivetrain: Front chainring, chain and rear cog. Will also change the rear cog from 16 to 18 teeth to make the Rohloff a bit more suitable for climbing.

I was talking about a week of touring a while ago. I got inquiries in several forums including hikers and cyclists and they all said it will be doable, but the flights are already so expensive that I will shift it to next year. Will take care to book as soon as the flights are in the system.

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    ^^^ Dutchman - I don't take it lightly at all, but I am a realist...I was next to a freeway and the car from which the beer originated was travelling in the opposite direction at over 100km/hour. My first clue was when the beer can hit the pavement in front of me. So what do I report to the police?

Have a good time with your son at the MTB class! I did this with my two youngest boys years ago and it helped them, although ultimately (and sadly) neither of them took to mountain biking the way I have...

NDD
    mtbr member
    The other aspect is, would the police do anything if you could give them a license plate or security footage? Probably not most places in this country and I'd be darn surprised if they did where I live.

dang

CB of the East
    Happy Monday!

Not much to report here. The weather is good. Drivers have been civil.

mtbr member
    Didnt ride today, felt bad today and decided to stay home. Planning to ride tomorrow, but the forecast says 36C (approx 92F I think) when I go home at 5pm....will take an extra bottle and ride slowly to not overheat. Where are the commuters from southern europe and usa?

NDD
    mtbr member
    Back to commuting on the geared drop bar mtb versus the single speed mtb. My buddy has a bike shop and he helped me set up my 43mm Panracer Gravel King tires tubeless. These tires really rip, and I think they may be my favorite commuting/multi-surface road tire I've ever mounted on a bike. Plus the brown sidewalls look great on the green bike. I'm slowly adding heavier bags to the racks to practice riding with weight for touring, too. Pretty fun.

dang

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Back to commuting on the geared drop bar mtb versus the single speed mtb. My buddy has a bike shop and he helped me set up my 43mm Panracer Gravel King tires tubeless. These tires really rip, and I think they may be my favorite commuting/multi-surface road tire I've ever mounted on a bike. Plus the brown sidewalls look great on the green bike. I'm slowly adding heavier bags to the racks to practice riding with weight for touring, too. Pretty fun.

I saw one of those in the wild recently. Killer bike! It looks like it's got clearance for an xc 2.1" tire in the rear too!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

I rode my bike the 69km roundtrip today. 15c in the morning perfect. 27c return trip with headwind and 360m of climb less than perfect. But I still love it and am smiling at the end so I will do it again as soon as life allows.

Full disclosure I include the length completely as a humble brag and Iím not even sorry about it. Also it isnít really humble Iím legit proud I can do it. 2 years and 20 kilos ago I could not have done it and now I do it 2-3 times a week. Yay not being a fat slob anymore.
    Last edited by jeremy_burke; 1 Day Ago at 12:56 PM. Reason: Full disclosure.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I saw one of those in the wild recently. Killer bike! It looks like it's got clearance for an xc 2.1" tire in the rear too!

The tires I had on previously were 2.1 rear and 2.3 front, Specialized Ground Control. I bet it could go 2.2 or 2.3 in ther rear and maybe 2.5 up front. It's a fun ride.

dang

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The tires I had on previously were 2.1 rear and 2.3 front, Specialized Ground Control. I bet it could go 2.2 or 2.3 in ther rear and maybe 2.5 up front. It's a fun ride.

Rad... It's on my list!

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Rad... It's on my list!

It's a fun bike. Wouldn't buy one new, got mine barely used (like a couple hundred miles on the road, tops) for a little less than half MSRP. Haven't really had any problems with it other than ones I've caused.

Here it is with the wide tires.

I eventually quit riding that trail before I moved from the area, because I would get small pinholes in my tubes every time I'd ride, due to the excessive amount of blackberry bushes around parts of the trail.
    dang

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Cobwebs and Humidity

The Florida humidity is in full swing. Stepped out of the air conditioned house to what can only be described as a "dishwasher". Got started on the commute and was drenched in sweat before I even got out of the neighborhood--the crazy thing is about this high humidity is that your sweat doesn't really do anything but sit on your skin. It just resonates. I do my morning commutes under the cover of darkness (0530 this morning) and as if the resonating, humidity induced sweat wasn't enough--I rode through what can only be described as a Hollywood Movie-esque Spider Web. I'm a pretty good sized fella (6 ft 3 in) and i'm broad through the shoulder and chest (gut too). This web covered my entire face down into my sternum and completely covered both arms.

So for the next 11 miles, I got wonder if I was carrying an 8 legged passenger on my ride. I didn't get bit nor find any spider signs when I got work. But "Dude Wipes" were used for more than just "Dude Parts" this morning.

Today's work mission is water...lots and lots of water. It's supposed to hit 111įF (43.889įC) so hydration is the name of the game.

CB of the East
    Phew! 111F with humidity is going to be "fun" I'm thinking that the e part of that bike will make it much more enjoyable. Letting you get enough speed to cool you off without creating too much extra sweat. Although at 111 in Florida you can't raise your arms over your head without breaking a sweat.

Nice looking bike NDD

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy_burke View Post
    Full disclosure I include the length completely as a humble brag and Iím not even sorry about it. Also it isnít really humble Iím legit proud I can do it. 2 years and 20 kilos ago I could not have done it and now I do it 2-3 times a week. Yay not being a fat slob anymore.
    Humble brag away! Nobody else is going to do it for you. That's a decent commute to keep up with. Here I'll add mine...I extended my morning commute to 41.5K. I was up early and the weather was beautiful. Unfortunately the afternoon forecast is for rain so I'll be wetter than Jelako. Fortunately, I can head straight home and it is under 20K.
    How was your commute today?-capture.jpg
    From the ride in

NDD
    mtbr member
    Cobwebs and Humidity

The Florida humidity is in full swing. Stepped out of the air conditioned house to what can only be described as a "dishwasher". Got started on the commute and was drenched in sweat before I even got out of the neighborhood--the crazy thing is about this high humidity is that your sweat doesn't really do anything but sit on your skin. It just resonates. I do my morning commutes under the cover of darkness (0530 this morning) and as if the resonating, humidity induced sweat wasn't enough--I rode through what can only be described as a Hollywood Movie-esque Spider Web. I'm a pretty good sized fella (6 ft 3 in) and i'm broad through the shoulder and chest (gut too). This web covered my entire face down into my sternum and completely covered both arms.

So for the next 11 miles, I got wonder if I was carrying an 8 legged passenger on my ride. I didn't get bit nor find any spider signs when I got work. But "Dude Wipes" were used for more than just "Dude Parts" this morning.

Today's work mission is water...lots and lots of water. It's supposed to hit 111įF (43.889įC) so hydration is the name of the game.
    Damn, I would not enjoy that combo of heat and humidity. People act like St.Louis is a sauna. I mean it'll be about 90%ish for the humidity in the morning, which is why I sweat like a pig on my 1.5 mile commute if it's over 55 degrees. But by the times it's 90 degrees out today, we'll be at about 50-60% humidity. Not too shabby.

Couldn't ride in today, though. We have a visitor at work and I have to drive them to an off-site location. I thought that by proclaiming my old truck as "the redneck mobile" this would never happen, but lo and behold...I'm glad he's from Georgia, because my AC is out.

dang

mtbr member
    Nice pic bedwards!

NDDs bike is a trek 920 disc right? Been drooling at that one for a long time already. But I keep dreaming of a ti fargo too....

Florida commuters must be really tough, sounds horrible! I think the highest temp I have had was 38C and I should mention that the sun is lower because I am quite up north, so it isnt baking that much.

We had 34C on the way home, a bit less than expected and it was doable. Did not even drink the whole bottle on my way.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Yes, Dutchman, you're right. But...umm...if it came down to it and you just had to spend double the money on a bike, I'd go with the ti Fargo. That is a sexy bike.

dang

CB of the East
    Yikes that ti Fargo is an expensive beast. Take a look at the Habeneros before you do that. $1000 + a fork. I've already got about 1200 miles on my ti cross bike.
    MTB Frames - Habanero Cycles - http://www.habcycles.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yes, Dutchman, you're right. But...umm...if it came down to it and you just had to spend double the money on a bike, I'd go with the ti Fargo. That is a sexy bike.

I have the steel 2018 version and I love it. When it wears out In 25 years i might replace it with titanium or maybe Iíll replace a hip with titanium instead.

mtbr member
    My commute did not suck today. 90 days on the new hardtail and still not missing the road bike.

How was your commute today?-img_6939.jpg

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Good one this morning. Pulled up behind a Red Prius at a 4-way stop. The Prius was just sitting there and the other drivers using the intersection were waiting for it take it's turn. I watched a few cars roll to the stop line, wait and head through the intersection in frustration when the Prius did not move. I rolled up next to the passenger side to see what was up and the young lady inside was engrossed in writing a text on her phone. I gave her a "HEY!" to get her attention and she snapped to, as if she suddenly realized where she was and she shot through the intersection. Sheesh. Put it down already.

Otherwise uneventful commute.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The ride home last night was 108įF (42.222įC) but because of the humidity it "felt" 114įF (45.556įC).

Still made great time. The eBike lets you make your own "AC" but I locked my bike and walked directly to my pool. That was a hot one.

Woke up this morning cramps in both legs and I can tell I have to get my fluids back up, so took today off because it's supposed to be equally as hot.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Today my youngest boy and I did our sixth annual Bike to Work day. We have a good time, stopping at all the food stations along the way for tasty burritos, etc. I ride the single speed so as to limit my speed. But he is getting strong, rode his 29'er and had no problem keeping up. The commute is normally 12.6 miles but we add on 3 miles of dirt to start off with. We end up drinking cappuccinos at the coffee shop to celebrate the completion of the ride. Always a good time.

I'll post a pic once he forwards it to me.

mtbr member
    Cooling off here. After a warm night it was already 26C when I rode to work this morning. During the day, the wind picked up a bit and it was only 23C on the way home. The next days are supposed to be cooler, on the weekend we will be above 30C again but on the weekend, we'll just go to the campsite and jump in the river whenever we feel like it

Jelako, did you undress before jumping in "your" pool? Sounds good to have your own one btw...!

Z1R, sounds good as well. But how long did you need with all those stops?

Jeremy / Bedwards, the Fargo Ti is the only one I know that is IGH/SS capable.

z1r
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cooling off here. After a warm night it was already 26C when I rode to work this morning. During the day, the wind picked up a bit and it was only 23C on the way home. The next days are supposed to be cooler, on the weekend we will be above 30C again but on the weekend, we'll just go to the campsite and jump in the river whenever we feel like it

Z1R, sounds good as well. But how long did you need with all those stops?
    The rivers here are too cold and right now, running too fast.

It took us about an hour an 15 minutes to travel the 15 plus miles, eat a burrito and muffin, and get some free T-shirts. We always allow a little extra travel time so we can have some fun along the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Jeremy / Bedwards, the Fargo Ti is the only one I know that is IGH/SS capable.
    That is why I own one. It was the the only bike that was not a custom that checked all the options for configurability I wanted. But I couldnít justify the tip when I got my complete steel frame for less money. I do love it. Even if Iím not convinced on the drop bars yet.

mtbr member
    Sounds good z1r!

....We always allow a little extra travel time so we can have some fun along the way.....
    That's how I do it with my sons too When I bring them to school we always leave early so we have time for a few rounds on the skateboard parcours and such. Just a few minutes brings so much extra fun, that is really worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Jelako, did you undress before jumping in "your" pool? Sounds good to have your own one btw...!
    Just my bike shoes. Jumped in socks, bike bibs, and heatgear shirt.

I don't know how people live in Florida without a pool. Though, with as warm as it has been...it was nearly bath water but still refreshing.

Members who have read this thread: 194