how thin can commuting tires go on a MTB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

how thin can commuting tires go on a MTB?

I converted my old '00 Speshy HardRock Comp to a commuter last year and I use a Kenda Kross on the front and Kenda K908 Pathfinder on the rear. I originally bought these tires as my route was going to take in an old railway bed on my to work. But I find myself sticking to the road and think I could get something a little faster.

Both of these tires are 1.95 wide. How slim can I go? I'm thinking around 1.25-1.5. Anyone got any good tires worth checking out? I have Vuelta Zerolite Mountain rims.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I run 1.375 and a 1.5 very nice slicks

Continental Sport contact and Bantrager ???

Custom Bike Builder
    I also use the same sport contacts. Mine are 26x1.5. I love them, but make sure you keep plenty of air in them 60+ pounds. They are not much wider than most tab rims.
    Gets chain-ring tattoos on both legs!

mtbr member
    +1 Continental Sport Contact
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've still got an old beat up mountain bike that is set up with 1.5" Armadillos. They offer plenty of cushion. I recently saw some Michelin 26x1.1 tires for sale online and wondered how they would roll. I think anything wider than an inch would work. But below 1.5" you'll be sacrificing a bit of comfort in exchange for the added speed. So you have to prioritize your desires. If you want speed, go skinny.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I've used 26x1 Specialized and 26x1 Conti Grand Prix tires in the past for commuting with a MTB.
    Super-fast! But yeah, can feel rough if you're not used to riding a road bike.

jrm
    mtbr member

As long as the tire

bead is equal or wider then the rim your fine. i tend to shoot for tires that allow the high PSI resulting in lower rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Continental's Gatorskins come in 1 & 1/8th inch. At 116 PSI they're tough on rough roads, but they're fast and puncture resistant.

mtbr member
    Hey,
    One of the most dedicated commuters in my town, st. John's, where it is sloppy and the roads are haggard uses specialized fatboy tyres from the end of March until the end of December every year on his commuter MTB with no issues. He has been carless for at least 20 years and rides in all conditions all the time and claims that these narrow slicks are the ideal for his commuting 9 months of the year.

Hope that helps.

Air Pirate
    Continental Travel Contact, although at 1.75 seems a bit narrower. Can go up to 80 psi for low rolling resistance and still be deflated to the 50's for off-road traction.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have some 1.25 Innova Puncture Resistant Slick tyres.

https://static1.bicycletires.com/ima...e/iksct1-1.jpg

I run them at 100 psi.

mtbr member
    Also, Panaracer T-Serv's run small, my 1.75's are maybe 1.6, I imagine their offering in 1.5 inch is closer to 1 and a quarter inch. I love my 1.75's - very nice rubber, making for a plush ride. If they were a true 1.75" they'd be a little big for my taste, but at right about an inch and half they're perfect the conditions of my city commute.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I run 700c x 25mm Maxxis Zephyrs pumped up to 100psi, on 14mm rims these are a pure roadie tire and the ride does take a little getting used to if you've never been a roadie but my commute is all on tarmac.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    +1 on Panaracer T-Serv in Kevlar. Great spin up and a nice quick but plush ride. Come to think of it, I had these on the exact same bike pretty much (90s special edition touring Rockhopper).

A.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Ritchey has/had the Tom Slick in 26x1.0 & 1.4....

Specialized has/had the FatBoy Crit in 26x1.25....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Members who have read this thread: 1