How to successful Use a U Lock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How to successful Use a U Lock

I am not sure if this is really the right place for it, but i thought you guys would know a good amount about the subject.Can someone tell me or have pictures of how to lock a bike with a U lock. I am moving to a different apartment complex and there is no room for my bike in the apartment. There is a community lock box for bikes and , I don't want to leave my bike unlocked. Any information will be helpful.....

Thank you
    Matt
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

Hazardous to your health!
    i use 5 locks when i lock my bike up in public....

its simple, lock the front wheel and frame to the bike rack (better yet, take your front wheel off and lock the rear and frame to the bike rack)
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

i also bought a high grade hexagon lock from masterlock and the thickest chain available at the hardware store...it took 2 guys and 5 tries to slice thru one link with a HUGE chain cutter so i feel confident in a chain over a u lock..use both

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Fat-tired Roadie
    For your nice bikes, get creative. I used to have one hanging on the wall above my TV. Or, find a different complex to live in.

For a less nice bike, lock goes through the frame and front wheel and around the bike rack. Or you could remove the front wheel and lock through the rear wheel, front wheel and frame. I have a secondary cable I use instead.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    For your nice bikes, get creative. I used to have one hanging on the wall above my TV. Or, find a different complex to live in.

For a less nice bike, lock goes through the frame and front wheel and around the bike rack. Or you could remove the front wheel and lock through the rear wheel, front wheel and frame. I have a secondary cable I use instead.
    this! i have several apt friends..one stuffs his bike under his couch, not very convenient but it works

another has a rack that hangs his bikes up in the corner

closet...

bathtub haha

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

since 4/10/2009
    I had a friend in college who put 3 bikes in his tiny double room: mtn, road, and track. If he had a 4inch slot somewhere, he could fit a bike in it.

We were not supposed to keep bikes indoors, either. I say eff em and do it anyway. Just don't skid in the hallways.

You don't use the bathtub for anything else, right?

mtbr member
    You can probly find space, good luck. I would never keep my bike locked up in a community rack. I see those racks all the time, and they all turn into bicycle junkyards thanks to thieves. Frame here, wheel there, seat lying on the ground in a puddle, its a joke. I dont know how a community can enforce a rule that you CANNOT keep it inside, all you have to do is show them the pile of sad molested bikes that are left clinging on the rack.

CB of the East
    Take the front wheel off before you bring it in, then you are just keeping bike parts inside.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    As others have said, find a way to keep it inside. Any lock can be defeated given enough time. But if you HAVE to leave it outside I would get the Kryptonite Fahgetaboutit (Or however it is spelled)

Feel free to read Lock Strategy for some more tips/info.
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by blumena84 View Post
    ... There is a community lock box for bikes and , I don't want to leave my bike unlocked. Any information will be helpful.....
    Is the lock box one of those things that keeps it protected from the weather? If so, it sounds like it could be more convenient than keeping it in the apartment, and I wouldn't hesitate to lock my bike in there. You could also get some renters insurance and make sure the bike is covered.

mtbr member
    the lock box is in underground garage where we will be keeping our car, i would keep the bike in the apartment. the bath tub would be a good one except we have an 8 month old who takes a good amount of baths, cause he gets into a good amount of stuff. Thank you for all the suggestions, i guess i will have to check my bike everyday.Spend some extra money on a good lock .....We already have renters insurance, so maybe i am being a little paranoid....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Get a forgetabout it (as stated before). Use that to lock your rear wheel up through the triangle (this is as effective as getting your rear locked up). Get another really strong lock and lock your front wheel to your frame and maybe the post too if you can. Get a cable to lock up anything loose like saddle. Get secure skewers from Halo or Velo Orange or Bulldog and get rid of your QR skewers. same with your seatpost. Take off your thomson stem, put something else.

Really, is that not a way you can mount it on your ceiling or something? Maybe high on the wall? I have a very small apartment and have six bikes in it at times. It gets cramped, but there's always a way.

mtbr member
    The only problem is i have it on the patio right now exposed, and i really don't like it out exposed. I am wondering if putting it in the lock box would be better then on the patio. I mean San Diego doesn't necessarily get the worst weather, but we do get a good amount of moisture.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They make bike covers that do a suitable job of keeping the bike dry from rain. Ambient moisture, not so much, but that is something you can look into as a possibility.

mtbr member
    I thought about covering it up,but wouldn't that cause more of interest to it. Kind of like Christmas Day and shaking the presents.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, it depends, again, on how determined a thief is. I'm assuming your patio is off the ground, but I could be mistaken.

There are other ways of storing a bike inside, and one of my favorites is the bike lift. Assuming you have an out of the way corner/high ceiling, it is something you may be interested in trying out. There are a bevy of plans online, and commercially available kits for under $30.

Members who have read this thread: 0