How much (about) do you guess your fully loaded rig weighs?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544

    How much (about) do you guess your fully loaded rig weighs?

    I am fairly new to regular commuting, and though I have commuted before on a spotty basis, during those times, I would have to plan to leave most things one side of the commute or the other, not having a rack and using a road bike.

    Now, with my rack and panniers, and especially when carrying my 15 inch MacBook, my rig feels super heavy! I may need to do some new planning to cut down on weight. i have had my work stuff including laptop and a file or two, work clothes and shoes, and lunch packed. Seems heavy!

    Not sure how much the full rig weighs but it is a lot. How much do you guys carry and do you have any idea how much it weighs?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    500
    Currently, I ride a roughly 25 pound mountain bike and carry 10-15 pounds. I would posit that, in that range, a backpack vs panniers will go a long ways in making your rig feel faster.

    I only carry a folder or two, a computer, and lunch. If I needed to carry clothes, Iwould switch back to panniers. I think a less sporty ride is par for the course if you need to haul much.

    Sent from a one-finger keyboard...pardon my autocorrect

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    I only carry my phone keys and wallet back and forth....maybe once a week some clothes in a back pack.

    I ride a 2005 RMB Element it weighs minimum 26 lbs....

    In the winter it might get up to 33 lbs studs, more bigger lights.

    REwlly can't see why anyone needs to carry a laptop around these days

    one at one end the other at the other end.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I only carry my phone keys and wallet back and forth....maybe once a week some clothes in a back pack.

    I ride a 2005 RMB Element it weighs minimum 26 lbs....

    In the winter it might get up to 33 lbs studs, more bigger lights.

    REwlly can't see why anyone needs to carry a laptop around these days

    one at one end the other at the other end.
    the computer at home is used up by kids quite a bit. Really I usually just need to do word processing and respond to emails, etc. at home. I could move to a tablet for that purpose.

    As far as a backpack, no way my computer is going to be carried easily in a pack. Too big and heavy. Also, I do carry clothes, though I may station some shoes up at the office to stay there on bike commute days. And I was wanting to move away from a backpack for more shoulder and neck comfort, and less back sweat during the warm summers.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Turns out my computer is about 5 pounds. Hmm, it felt heavier to me. But I like the idea of not transporting my laptop all the time. I will have to figure out some ways not to do that.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    the computer at home is used up by kids quite a bit. Really I usually just need to do word processing and respond to emails, etc. at home. I could move to a tablet for that purpose.

    As far as a backpack, no way my computer is going to be carried easily in a pack. Too big and heavy. Also, I do carry clothes, though I may station some shoes up at the office to stay there on bike commute days. And I was wanting to move away from a backpack for more shoulder and neck comfort, and less back sweat during the warm summers.
    You may have missed my point.....I hardly ever carry anything....clothes, shoes...have a supermarket across the street and a fridge... all at work.

    Use a PC at work, and a PC at home....don't need anything else.

    Sometimes I take a back pack for different clothes or some other mudane reason, but it can always be put off etc.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    You may have missed my point.....I hardly ever carry anything....clothes, shoes...have a supermarket across the street and a fridge... all at work.

    Use a PC at work, and a PC at home....don't need anything else.

    Sometimes I take a back pack for different clothes or some other mudane reason, but it can always be put off etc.
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think I missed your point. the main thing is that the computer at home is used by the kids and wife when I am there. Therefore, if I need to work, it is tough if I don't have my own machine there. Plus I prefer to work sitting on the couch if I am working at home.

    I can minimize the clothes and stuff, but some I will have to carry. Much as I plan, stuff just comes up. I am a lawyer so some specialized clothing is required. But certainly there will be some days where I don't need to carry much.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    You may have missed my point.....I hardly ever carry anything....clothes, shoes...have a supermarket across the street and a fridge... all at work.

    Use a PC at work, and a PC at home....don't need anything else.

    Sometimes I take a back pack for different clothes or some other mudane reason, but it can always be put off etc.
    In many cases people have to work using company equipment, whether that's for software licensing or support or VPN access or just some grumpy-ass policy.

    Also I wish I had a grocery store within walking distance. Nearest is about 7 miles (WalMart's closer but... WalMart). Might as well just bring my lunch from home at that distance.

  9. #9
    Positively negative
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,287
    I put my frame bag on my comutter bike and was able to cram all my stuff in there and ditch the trunk bag I had been using. Made a huge difference. Bike feels so much faster and nimble.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Anyways, back to on topic. What do you figure your rig loaded weighs all told? I figure my bike is about 25-27 lbs with the rack on. the lap top weighs 5. Files may weigh 1 to 5. Clothes are another 5. Panniers, food, drink bottles (2 at 16 oz), misc. are another 5 maybe total. I figure I am carrying 25 plus 15-20 so let's say 40-47 all told.

  11. #11
    Wēk Ss
    Reputation: IAmHolland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,208
    About 50lbs. My commuter is a 1990 Rockhopper with 3x9 setup, and cheap gear. 30lbs by itself. Add 2-24oz water bottles and holders, topeak rack, saddle bag with pump/tools/keys/tube/multitool/tire levers, Timbuk2 paniers/messenger bag with laptop and clothing, and a tail light. It is rear end heavy and noticeable on climbs and when I stop at a light. It's also noticeable on leans, as 1 side is heavier than the other.

    I need to add a front light, and a helmet light, and another rear light.

    I've thought about cutting weight, then I figured if it gets stolen...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    128
    Bike plus lights is 9.8kg. Back pack varies up to about 5kg. I have got one of those boomboxes coming so bike will prolly be just over 10 when it shows up.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: newfangled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,321
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Anyways, back to on topic. What do you figure your rig loaded weighs all told?
    But does it really matter? I like that the fact that riding with panniers is a great excuse for why I'm useless at bunnyhopping. But beyond that I don't think the fact that I'm carrying clothes, a ulock, and half a bikeshop's worth of tools (just in case) has much of an effect on my ride. I'm still faster than pretty much every other cyclist I see.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sunvalleylaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    But does it really matter? I like that the fact that riding with panniers is a great excuse for why I'm useless at bunnyhopping. But beyond that I don't think the fact that I'm carrying clothes, a ulock, and half a bikeshop's worth of tools (just in case) has much of an effect on my ride. I'm still faster than pretty much every other cyclist I see.
    Just a curious thing that's all. I don't disagree with you and expect that with several more commutes, I will be keeping up with some more of the roadies that are passing me on my relatively long MUP commute. And with time, quite a few once I get used to pedaling with some weight on the bike. I am thinking finishing the conversion to 700c will help if I can get the rear figured out to my satisfaction.

  15. #15
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,017
    No clue, really. I installed an aluminum rack to keep from packing too many pounds on the bike, but with only the bike, lights (they stay on year round), and bolt on accessories I'm probably a few lb shy of 30 if I'm lucky.

    Add a bottle, a kitty litter pannier, seat bag and toolkit, and a change of clothes for work and no doubt I'm over 40.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Straz85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,348
    When I commuted with panniers:

    -Surly CC w/ fenders
    -Bontrager rack
    -Ortlieb panniers
    -Laptop (a big ass 17" one)
    -Clothes
    -Lunch

    All came to around 45lbs

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post
    I put my frame bag on my comutter bike and was able to cram all my stuff in there and ditch the trunk bag I had been using. Made a huge difference. Bike feels so much faster and nimble.
    I appropriated one of those milk crates when I started commuting. I used to zip tie it to the top of the rack. Riding that thing with even a little bit of stuff was horrible. Bought some hardware to mount it on the side of the rack like a pannier, even loaded to the gills it feels much better than when it was on top. Its amazing how weight distribution affects bikes.

Similar Threads

  1. Choosing a good Bike for fully loaded touring
    By wheelbuster in forum 27.5
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 05:39 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM
  3. paid spam niner wfo 9 fully loaded
    By david8613 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 11:33 AM
  4. paid spam fully loaded niner wfo 9
    By david8613 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 02:07 PM
  5. What weighs...
    By a4racer in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.