How Many of you Grow Breards for winter Riding- Mtbr.com
    One Colorful Rider

How Many of you Grow Breards for winter Riding

How Many of you Grow Breards for winter Riding.

As much as I hate it. It keeps my face warm.

I can't wear Face Masks or Balaclavas. I can breath with those on and I can't blow my Snot with those over my face

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Normbilt
    How Many of you Grow Breards for winter Riding.

As much as I hate it. It keeps my face warm.

I can't wear Face Masks or Balaclavas. I can breath with those on and I can't blow my Snot with those over my face

Geez shave to keep the ice off....

Then learn how to use a balaclava, I can breathe and blow snot with a balaclava...

Bedwards Of The West
    I grow a beard AND use the balaclava. I have mastered the 'clava covered snot rocket.

The beard creates some insulation between the 'clava and your face, and makes for nice warm airflow when you exhale from your mouth. It's glorious.

Every now and then I'll shave it down to a goatee, not wear the 'clava because it's not THAT cold, and curse myself all the way to work because it's FREEZING. Even a short fuzzy beard makes a big difference.

Edit: I do get some ice buildup now and then when I don't use the 'clava on a 'questionably cold' day...totally worth it, and still warmer than without the beard.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    Sounds like a good idea, but a moustache is about all I can muster. I`ve gone a week without shaving my chin on a few occasions, but it was still prickly and I don`t have the patience to wait it out untill it gets past that point.
    Recalculating....

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    I just got permission to grow my beard out, even though its against health code... I work at a pizza joint in VT and beards are neccessary, im thinking about trying a 'clava but the only one I have is 10mm thick and too heavy except when its like -20 ºF
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bedwards Of The West
    I use a super thin 'clava exclusively...my coldest rides are low single digits, rarely in the negatives. The thin fabric dries quickly enough to avoid the ice-shield thing, but still provides good warmth if you exhale into it. It doesn't take much to keep the wind off of the face and hold some warm air in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    This is my first beard year. It'll probably be a year round thing cause I look damn good with it.

I wear a balaclava and then when its really cold instead of pulling it over my face I add a neoprene face mask. It has holes in it to let air go through easier and a little nose slit.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    This is my first beard year. It'll probably be a year round thing cause I look damn good with it.
    Typical beard rookie...convinced that it makes you Chuck Norris. FYI, I will decide if you will be allowed to keep it after winter. Right after I roundhouse kick you in the face.

No-Brakes Cougar
    No beard, but I have muttonchops year-round.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

Ovaries on the Outside
    Usually no beard, but I grown out my sweater vest. Keeping the core warm is important too.

Recreational Racer
    No beard, my occupational calling does not allow it. Besides the coldest my commute gets in winter is 72 degrees, darn Guam winters, it's almost to cold to ride come January.
    “Let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Nah, never have grown a beard.
    '07 Marin Rift Zone
    '07 Ridley Orion
    KHS fixed gear
    Jamis Allegro 1.0

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    Typical beard rookie...convinced that it makes you Chuck Norris. FYI, I will decide if you will be allowed to keep it after winter. Right after I roundhouse kick you in the face.
    Awesome!!!

I'd like to grow a beard some day, but considering I'm almost 30 and it hasn't happened yet I'm not holding out any hope. Damn native skin and lack of body hair!

ronbo613
    Standard equipment for winter riding, snowboarding and hanging around bars with the lumberjacks and ranchers.

Members who have read this thread: 0