How many miles on your primary commuter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. How many miles on your primary commuter?

Hi! I've seen threads about the highest mileage or longest commute, but I'm just curious about the current mileage on your primary commuter?

I've been commuting for about 7 years. I got a new bike early 2014 and my commute is rather short but grows 6 days per week!

6,791 miles and counting!

mtbr member
    Should hit 30,000km by the end of the year. (2010 vintage carbon hardtail.)

Summer commuter (gravel? road bike) is pretty new, still has to pay for itself.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Wierdo
    Dec 2005

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Is that the titanium bike that has a damaged rack mounting brazeon? And it would be interesting to know how many chains, chainrings, cogs, wheels, tires etc....;o))

My primary bike came in September 2014 and now has almost 20tkm/13tm on it. I have spare rigid 26er touring bike and a brand new cx bike which has just 100km/66m on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    29,961 as of today on my Gary Fisher ( Trek) Montare. Wrapping up my 9th year ridding it ( 10th year of commuting )
    It's been washed maybe 5 times...and looks it. All original bearings, gear except for chains,wheels and tires.

Total maintencance cost of $.05/mile
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingdutchman View Post
    Is that the titanium bike that has a damaged rack mounting brazeon? And it would be interesting to know how many chains, chainrings, cogs, wheels, tires etc....;o))
    The same bike.

The rims/hubs/spokes are all original - except for one rear spoke that broke many miles ago. Also the stem, bars, seat, post, rack, front and rear derailleur and right shifter are original. Even the bar tape is original. The pedals are original but I have rebuilt them a couple of times.

I've replaced many chains, tires and tubes - cannot even begin to count. Also have replaced several bottom brackets and I replaced the rear cogs once and the crankset once. The left shifter broke a few months ago and was replaced with a new one.

I have also replaced the derailleur jockey wheels twice - wore the originals to nubs. I did not notice it the first time until my shift performance went to hell and I could not figure out why

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarn View Post
    Total maintencance cost of $.05/mile
    Nice. Was never able to get my previous bike appreciably below $0.20/km. Tires, brake pads, chains, cogs, and fork rebuilds took over as cost drivers, which were probably elevated as I was using it as my primary mountain bike as well. The frame was mothballed at about 45,000km.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Nice. Was never able to get my previous bike appreciably below $0.20/km. Tires, brake pads, chains, cogs, and fork rebuilds took over as cost drivers, which were probably elevated as I was using it as my primary mountain bike as well. The frame was mothballed at about 45,000km.
    you are a better man than me...ha I gave up on my cheap forks years ago. They are pretty much frozen....not really needed on my commute bike anyway. My .05 does NOT include the price of the bike ( $850 ) just a fyi.

I am sure my other bikes are way higher than this as I keep them in TOP shape and don't log as much miles on them.

I am a spreadsheet geek and track all kinds of mostly useless data...ha
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarn View Post
    you are a better man than me...ha I gave up on my cheap forks years ago. They are pretty much frozen....not really needed on my commute bike anyway.

I had the old SID on my bike for 2 years after the service centre told me it wasn't worth rebuilding again, and visually it sort of looked like it was still moving up and down, so I didn't think much about it even on off-road rides.

A few months ago I replaced it with a newly-rebuilt and fully-functional Fox32, and on my first ride realized that I had previously been riding a fully rigid bicycle.

Maybe I should have just gotten a carbon fork and given up on suspension completely.

Meh, too late now.

mtbr member
    Some cool responses here! I've got a IGH 8 sp on mine. I'm not sure I love it though. It's fine for a commute but is finicky. I like to low, low maintenance on a belt/IGH combo though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I've been commuting about 15 miles a day, almost everyday since 1995.Been hit twice gone through numerous drivetrains and wheelsets. Currently setup with Dura Ace 7400 7 speed with a barend shifter. Bike is a handbuilt robin's egg blue Columbus Rocky Mountain Giro. Was used as a race/training bike prior to commuting and I guesstimate close to 100,000 miles