How many commuter's from your company(Or school)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

How many commuter's from your company(Or school)?

I work in a company with about 400 employee.. Pathetic, and I am the only commuter in bicycle. Used to have 3 commuters but 2 of them went overseas for work permanently.

What is your percentage?

mtbr member
    Its hard to say, out of a college of roughly 13,000 id say a good 1/4 bike to campus, 1/2 drive and another 1/4 live on campus or walk from houses close to campus. So roughly 3250 as a guesstimate

mtbr member
    9% bike to work...but it's a small company. I'm the only bike commuter. Everyone else thinks I'm crazy (even though it's not a long commute).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    10% here, but I'm still the solo commuter, and I don't even commute all the time.

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    ~0.87%

considering we are ~115 people and I'm the only one

Just Ride!
    6 in my old location now I'm alone in my new location. They also think I'm nuts and laugh at what I wear but I'm the only one with a huge boyish when I arrive/leave work. I wonder why....

Bedwards Of The West
    I'm the only dedicated one. There are two other guys who ride maybe one day a week when the weather is perfect at either end of the school year (I'm a teacher). I'm the only one who even thinks about riding through the winter.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

master blaster
    4 employees
    1 commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.
    :D

mtbr member
    May 2006
    52 employees and me as the lone bike commuter. 1.9%
    Drew
    __________________________________________________ __
    Rides in Minneapolis, MN.

I'm SUCH a square....
    2 of us full-time, 1 part-time, 1 I know of that would IF there was a secure place to lock up (the other 3 of us bring our bikes in the building, dunno why she won't), and 1, my co-worker and best bud, who could tear my legs off, would if he wasn't so thin-blooded.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

One Colorful Rider
    On an Average 80%.
    Yesterday 100% 5 of Five

I work at a Bike shop though. Since I started 5 years ago I have help increase committing.

I made fun of people at least half my age that lived within 2 miles as
    I would ride in from 12 miles

I Have Cookies
    just me!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

weirdo
    I`m the only year rounder, but when the weather is nice and the days are long we have quite a few. Somewhat ironic is that one of the seasonal riders used to ride year round (with snow or ice, but pedalling a rather tough commute no matter what the temps) when I was still doing the fair weather thing and now he`s taken my old fair weather position. Our plant is a small part of an enormous world-wide printing business. There were about 300 employees when I started, up to maybe 400 about four years ago, now probably down to a little less than when I started and very likely to shrink some more in 2010. Oh- there are two people who ride motorcycles all year.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    There's a few hundred employees. I'm not actually sure how many. A couple people ride in the nicer months of the year but my bike will be the only one until spring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Only year around commuter out of 35, but there is this cool old dude that rides for 9 months of the year. We are in a small town with a pretty good trail system. Most people that work here probably wouldn't have to ride more than 4 miles a day. I'd say 10 or more could easily walk to work. Every time gas goes up, co-workers start asking me what they should get to start biking, but they never do. It frustrates me. It also frustrates me when they hassle me about riding in crappy weather.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    One other guy runs studded tires for the winter.

45 people in the office.

Saw four people riding this morning.

bi-winning
    This summer, I worked at a bike shop, and all of the employees rode bikes to work, but the boss man did not. I had the longest commute at about 19km one way.

Now, I'm attending university. I'd guess ~20% of the 20 000+ students bike. I've also had several professors who used a bike for transportation.
    Last edited by rkj__; 12-08-2009 at 03:12 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Just me!!! out of about 50 people at my joint... I get mad props tho...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Three employees and two of us ride fulltime. Not to mention, our company supports the Bike Commuter Act where we both receive a $20 reimbursement per month! $240 free bike upgrades/maintenance a year isn't too shabby! I'm the Store Manager and we offer all cyclists that come to the store (Batteries Plus) 20% off if they ride.

mtbr member
    Well pretty damn hard to say... school of over 53,000 students (3rd largest in the nation) lets just say during the day almost all the bike racks are full...but some ppl who live on campus also bike to class so they aren't really commuting since they go < .75 miles anywhich way. but I'm pretty damn sure im the only guy on fat tires :P tons of "trendy" Fixies and SS ppl here with all their cards and stuff in their spokes and what not.

I really couldn't put a percentage on it though...way to hard to say.

Hail Satin!
    The only other people that commute to my job are the ones with D.U.I.s
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

No-Brakes Cougar
    There used to be more at my work, but they all left for other jobs. I am currently the only full-time bike commuter. People are still incredulous after all this time that I ride in the cold and rain. A girl I work with rides sometimes, but she frequently confesses to "wimping out," especially if it's cold. A guy I work with used to ride at his old worksite, had a bad spill and was off the bike for awhile. He never really got back on. Another guy I work with rides his motorcycle to work full-time.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

... and if we just ...

motorcycles don't count....after a couple of months with the bicycle! I sold mine!...those still liberate CO2 and make you spend on gas!

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by LUNARFX
    [ we offer all cyclists that come to the store (Batteries Plus) 20% off if they ride.[/color]
    Wow, that`s cool! The closest thing to a discount for cyclists that I`ve ever heard of were a few frebies during Bike To Work Week.

I should have mentioned in my post that there are several people at my plant who walk to work. Very few if any bus in because we just "sorta" have a public trans system around here. And I really have to hand it to the part time riders- most of them where I work don`t bike as recreation at all, so whatever bike commuting they do is really going out of their familiar world. IMO, anybody who commutes or runs errands under his or her own power even once in a while is pretty groovy!
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    Wow, that`s cool! The closest thing to a discount for cyclists that I`ve ever heard of were a few frebies during Bike To Work Week.
    And that's why I offer it to any cyclists because there aren't enough incentives for all of us. I've had a lot more road bike guys actually stop in more often buying every battery from computer batteries, watch batteries(install included,) batteries for their heart rate monitors, batteries for their bike lights of course, batteries for their mini iPods, and for this one older gentleman with a Giant bought hearing aids. Haha...I really do support all bicyclists!

My buddy and I are considering going half on a two-bike bike rack for customers, since there aren't any outside.

p.s.
    We rebuilt a battery pack
    for a guy who had an old
    lighting setup that had the
    battery pack built-in inside
    the water bottle. They pack
    those things with tons of foam!

The Brutally Handsome
    4 full timers out of 80

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just me, I got an "ew" yesterday as I came in.. we have over 500 people here.. lots of fat stagnant souls.

mtbr member
    Just me, but even I don't head out when the temps drop below -25. Catch hell from quite a few of my fellow employees for riding, but I guess as a helicopter mechanic, I'm kind of an anomaly.

Members who have read this thread: 0