how many calories should i be eating?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

how many calories should i be eating?

This summer I'm trying to ride 5 days a week 40 miles a day for my commute. Currently I'm doing this about once a week or twice a week. I average about 11.5-12.5mph so it takes roughly 1:45 and the ride is very hilly. If I'm trying to gain weight, about how many calories do you think I should be getting and about how much protein should I be getting? I weigh 160 and I'm 6'2".

Dunno if anyone has any ideas.....thanks in advance.

fan of maple syrup
    Unless there's some other way to accurately record how many calories you're burning, I would suggest getting a decent quality heart rate monitor (one that calculates calories burned) so you know exactly how many calories you're burning on these rides. Add that to the calories you're burning elsewhere, and make sure you're eating at least that many a day. If you eat less than this, you may not gain any weight. I would also recommend some work at the gym in order to build muscle mass - that's the sort of weight I'm assuming you're trying to gain yeah? I'm not talking about looking like Arnie or anything - just the type of workout that will both build muscle and improve your riding too. Use protien after workouts to aid in muscle recovery.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by klohiq
    This summer I'm trying to ride 5 days a week 40 miles a day for my commute. Currently I'm doing this about once a week or twice a week. I average about 11.5-12.5mph so it takes roughly 1:45 and the ride is very hilly. If I'm trying to gain weight, about how many calories do you think I should be getting and about how much protein should I be getting? I weigh 160 and I'm 6'2".

To personalize your requirements you should see a nutritionalist/doctor but let me start with what I know..

Are you currently maintaining, gaining or loosing weight, say over the past month?

If you a mantaining then the find out the average caloric intake you are at. Do this by eating perfectly normal, the way you always do. Count your calories for the day. Count EVERYTHING...juice, soda, the 10 almonds you snack on. Do this over a period of say one week, at least. Average the calories per day. This will give you the amount of calories your body requires to MAINTAIN your current body weight. Again, this is if you are not loosing or gaining weight currently.

Knowing how many calories you need to stay at your 'maintainance weight' you can then add or remove calories to gain or loose weight.

Keep in mind that any exercise you do comes into play as well. If you regularly eat 1800 calories per day but you burn 1000 exercising then your really only taking in 800.

I"M NOT EXPERT so please just take this as the help it's meant to be to get you thinking about calories and how they relate to YOUR body. Everyone is different. My buddy eats almost anything he wants and never looks fat, me not so lucky that way so without a personalized fitness/nutrition plan I don't think any of us on the net can tell you exactly how many calories to consume. You need to to the legwork and go from there. Try adding 250 to 500 calories per day if you are now maintaining. Weigh yourself every week the second you wake up and if after a month you haven't gained somewhere between 2 and 4 lbs then up the calories, or sit on the couch more

Apr 2008
    'til you aint hungry no mo, dawg! but seriously... don't over eat. it does not make you feel cool

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by klohiq

I don't think it is necessary to see a nutrionist /doctor for this, or buy a heart rate monitor. There are PLENTY of internet sites where you can estimate the number of calories burned for a given activity. I used on on bodybuilding.com but you can find them elsewhere.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calories.htm

(You can ask your question on a forum like bodybuilding.com or getbig.com, but beware that there is a lot of flaming in some forums.)

I put in the weight you gave and 105 minutes for the time and it reported the following:

BICYLING
    <10 mph, leisure, to work or for pleasure - 533 cal.
    10-11.9 mph, leisure, slow, light effort - 800 cal.
    12-13.9 mph, leisure, moderate effort - 1067 cal.
    14-15.9 mph, racing, fast, vigorous effort - 1334 cal.
    16-19 mph, racing, very fast - 1600 cal.
    bicycling general - 1067 cal.

So you would use up roughly 900 calories (one big muffin).

If I understand your question correctly, you are trying to GAIN weight, but planning on biking 105 minutes (or was that 210?) a day, 5 days a week? Further I assume you are talking about gaining muscle or otherwise attractive weight, and not sumo wrestler weight?

I am into bodybuilding / weight lifting and this strikes me as more of a bodybuilding question than a purely cycling question. With your height (tall) and weight (low) I guess you are an ectomorph? In that case I think it might be difficult to gain much, but if it is only for the summer you could at least prevent losing muscle mass. (Which is what normally happens with endurance athletics like long distance running, biking etc.)

There are tons of different opinions on this kind of topic, so don't take anything I say as gospel. First off I'd recommend that you eat 5 or 6 times a day (smaller meals rather than fewer big meals). As well, eat something both before and after you ride. Definitely something with protein before, as this will help stop your body from using your muscle protein for energy. After your ride eat something - in this case carbohydrates would help to replenish the stores you just burnt off. If you want to get into the whole protein shake thing you could have one of those at the end of your ride. If you carry a water bottle you could drink something along the way with BCAA (branched chain amino acids) or glutamine or both mixed in. (I like to mix red Gatorade powder with these two.) This would be a GREAT way of making sure you aren't burning muscle. Another thing to keep in mind is not going too fast. Keep the speed at an aerobic level. Once you get anaerobic you are burning off muscle. (11-12 mph sounds fine though.) High energy, high fat, 'clean' snacks such as nuts would be a good choice for one of the 'meals' mid-day.

You asked about protein. There are a variety of opinions, but I think the most common one is that a bodybuilder (or other athlete) should take in 1 gram for each pound of weight. Some people go WAY WAY over this. Other nutritionists have argued that even 1g/lb is overkill and protein requirements, even for a bodybuilder are much lower. If you aim for an average of .5 ~ 1 gram / lb you are probably in the ballpark. So for you that would be 80 ~ 160 g of protein a day - spread over the day, from a variety of sources. A site like nutritiondata.com can give you information about the macro-nutrition profile of most foods.

Finally, if you are trying to gain weight, you probably can't do much without some kind of weight lifting.

Hope this helps,

Craig

Members who have read this thread: 0