How long do your consumables last?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How long do your consumables last?

As fall approaches, I'm wondering how quickly people are wearing out various pieces of kit?

So far for the summer I'm at:

KMC x8.93 8 Speed Chain - the first chain on my singlespeed, and it lasted about 2000km with daily wipedowns and a monthly degreaser bath.

MEC river pants (sorry non-canadians) - took about 2 months to tear the stitching in butt. They're going back to the store.

$25 MEC gloves - the leather in the heal has disintegrated, but otherwise they're in excellent condition. Bought them in the spring of 2010. Not sure if I'm pleased with their performance or not.

Helmet pads - the giro pads I stuck into a bell helmet for extra sweat absorption are basically destroyed after two years.

And I've got a bunch of knobby tires - ardent, firexc and smart sam - all with 2500+km of commute/trails and all in pretty good shape. I don't even like the firexc, but it's got at least 4000km as a rear tire and it will probably survive until this time next year.

The Brutally Handsome
    I have the same problem with my stuff. Helmet pads randomly fall off, I have torn off and re-sewn all the velcro tabs on my jackets and rain pants, booties are no longer waterproof, my shoes are mangled, and my light battery won't hold a charge. On the other hand, my drivetrain is holding up well, tires and pedals are good to go, my backpack is keeping out the water and my bike shorts are comfy so I can't complain!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    As fall approaches, I'm wondering how quickly people are wearing out various pieces of kit?

So far for the summer I'm at:

KMC x8.93 8 Speed Chain - the first chain on my singlespeed, and it lasted about 2000km with daily wipedowns and a monthly degreaser bath.

MEC river pants (sorry non-canadians) - took about 2 months to tear the stitching in butt. They're going back to the store.

$25 MEC gloves - the leather in the heal has disintegrated, but otherwise they're in excellent condition. Bought them in the spring of 2010. Not sure if I'm pleased with their performance or not.

Helmet pads - the giro pads I stuck into a bell helmet for extra sweat absorption are basically destroyed after two years.

And I've got a bunch of knobby tires - ardent, firexc and smart sam - all with 2500+km of commute/trails and all in pretty good shape. I don't even like the firexc, but it's got at least 4000km as a rear tire and it will probably survive until this time next year.
    I get about 2500 kms on my chains, winter inevitably gets them in the end....try a CN 7701chain.

I use MEC whirlwind tights...last many years.

Chamois shorts last a couple of years I have about 5 pairs in various states of wear.

Pair of gloves a year

Helmet is 6 years and fine...I had pads for a while but it fits fine without them.

Nokian M&G studs about 10000km
    Nokian Freddi Revenze about 2000 km
    Sport Contact slick 6000 km, one just died cause the sidewall wore out.

A whole bunch of knobbies

BB bearings last about a year, winter gets it.

Rear shock seal gets over a year...

In the end all in....right now I am about $.30/km

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I get about 2500 kms on my chains, winter inevitably gets them in the end....try a CN 7701chain.

I use MEC whirlwind tights...last many years.

Chamois shorts last a couple of years I have about 5 pairs in various states of wear.

Pair of gloves a year

Helmet is 6 years and fine...I had pads for a while but it fits fine without them.

Nokian M&G studs about 10000km
    Nokian Freddi Revenze about 2000 km
    Sport Contact slick 6000 km, one just died cause the sidewall wore out.

A whole bunch of knobbies

BB bearings last about a year, winter gets it.

Rear shock seal gets over a year...

In the end all in....right now I am about $.30/km
    I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I think your noggin' needs a new bucket. Picture a piece of Styrofoam riding in your environment for 6 years. Rain, sweat, road grim, and sun take a toll on Styrofoam. You should really change your helmet at least every 3 to 5 years

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeah, it has got a few more years in it...We don't get any real powerful sun up here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    Some would argue that soaking your chain in degreaser is bad for it. I've read many debates on roadbikereview about this. Many people say that soaking your chain or using one of those chain cleaners (Like the Park Tools CM-5) removed the lubricant from the innards of the chain that need it, and once it's out, it's very difficult to get back in.

One way to increase the wear of your drivetrain is to reuse chains. Get a few chains, use them each until they're stretched to 1/16", at that point, go back to the beginning and start using them each again until they're to 1/8". Once you get all the way through, it's time for a new cassette/chainrings and round of chains. Depends on how many chains you use, you could be talking upwards of 10 - 15k miles.

Disclaimer: The above advice is just some stuff I've read recently, I haven't actually tried it and can not vouch for it's effectiveness from personal experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Get a few chains, use them each until they're stretched to 1/16", at that point, go back to the beginning and start using them each again until they're to 1/8". Once you get all the way through, it's time for a new cassette/chainrings and round of chains.
    That's one I hadn't heard before. Right now I migrate chains down the drivetrain-performance pecking order as they wear.... carbon XC bike-> CX bike -> Hardtail Commuter -> DH bike*. Of course, everything needs to stay 9-speed.

(*With apologies to the DH racers out there, I just don't pedal the thing that much).
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    I rotate chains on my hardtail every month when I do the degreaser bath. It's a little more expensive upfront since you need to have an extra chain, but you'd end up spending that money over time anyway. The big test will be next year when these chains are stretched out, and whether new chains will still work with my cassette.

Quote Originally Posted by Straz85 View Post
    Some would argue that soaking your chain in degreaser is bad for it. I've read many debates on roadbikereview about this. Many people say that soaking your chain or using one of those chain cleaners (Like the Park Tools CM-5) removed the lubricant from the innards of the chain that need it, and once it's out, it's very difficult to get back in.
    I'd think that roadbikes are usually run in conditions that are pretty pristine compared to mountain bikes, or even compared to the typical commuter. I wipe my chains off after every ride so they're always visually pretty clean, but after a soak in the degreaser a bunch of little grit and crud gets knocked loose. So it's a toss-up between washing off the factory lubricant versus leaving all that grit in there to cause wear. If you've got an old stretched-out chain you could let it soak in degreaser just to see how much crud you get out of it.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    In the end 2000 km on a chain through a winter is not bad....(summer conditions not so good)...

I degrease and oil as well...not as often as you do....I find it is pretty obvious when the thing needs a full cleaning..if not I just add more lube...

If you change the chains at 1 % stretch the cassette will probably skip for a week or so under heavy pedalling until everything wears in....(cassette vs SS?????)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    If you change the chains at 1 % stretch the cassette will probably skip for a week or so under heavy pedalling until everything wears in....(cassette vs SS?????)
    That's good to know. The weird chainring grinding (generally grannygear) that happens when chains are brandnew is something I've forced myself to ignore. But if I had slipping on the cassette with a new chain I'd probably just have assumed the cassette was shot.

One of the nice things about rotating chains is that you get to avoid the sudden change from a really worn chain to a brandnew one. It still happens, but it's every year or two instead of every few months.