How I transport beeer and other beverages- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

How I transport beeer and other beverages

I use the divided bags I can get at my local booze dispensery in side my
    panniers. The first pic, I can do bottles of wine, 26 oz liqor bottles or large beer bottles. 2nd pic is a regular 6pack bottle, I can usually stack 2 6 packs. Most I've carried on my bike is 4 6 packs of beer and a mix of 12 26oz bottles of wine, hard liqor.

How do the rest of you get beer and stuff?

How I transport beeer and other beverages-imgp4948.jpgHow I transport beeer and other beverages-imgp4951.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Looks much the same. I usually stop at the smoke shop next door and pad the bottles with a few pouches of roll your own. In a pinch, a full case can be strapped on top of the rack with bungees and paracord. My cheap Bell panniers like a fifth, upright, next to a six pack to prevent shifting.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I usually just throw it in my saddlebags and roll. I hardly ever buy more than a six pack. Usual purchase is two 32 oz cans of Miller High Life... so bad, but so cheap. Not as bad as OE, though... or as cheap.

CDK
    mtbr member
    Never thought t take a shot of it so i had to put them back empty for photo taking purposes.
    Pretty simple for meHow I transport beeer and other beverages-cam02182.jpg

Might want to cross post in the beer forum

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by snailspace View Post
    I use the divided bags I can get at my local booze dispensery in side my
    panniers. The first pic, I can do bottles of wine, 26 oz liqor bottles or large beer bottles. 2nd pic is a regular 6pack bottle, I can usually stack 2 6 packs. Most I've carried on my bike is 4 6 packs of beer and a mix of 12 26oz bottles of wine, hard liqor.

How do the rest of you get beer and stuff?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4948.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	912231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4951.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	912232
    My god Puke-castle Brown Ale that is a blast from the past, I can't believe they are allowed to export that stuff. I was under the impression that it was only allowed for consumption by tramps, students and Geordies (drowning their sorrows after their football team loses - so it's a weekly event)

When I was a student Pukey Brown was only just behind Merrydown cider and special brew as the drink of choice in the lets fallover as cheaply as possible game. At 8.5% per liter for 1 against 5% per pint for 1 it wasn't as cost effective Merrydown was the clear winner

mtbr member
    Nice looking RLT! I've been coveting one of those babies.

Long story as to why I had to haul beer home from the office, but this worked out just fine for a few bottles.

How I transport beeer and other beverages-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm more of a basket case...

How I transport beeer and other beverages-5507809124_29b8fd6685_b%5B1%5D.jpg

CDK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Nice looking RLT! I've been coveting one of those babies.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	917033
    Thanks! It is a pretty sweet bike. If you end up getting one my advise is to not get the 2 star build.The breaks are horrible and my bottom bracket has already failed

mtbr member
    My porteur rack will carry two cases, two more in my giant man-purse, and a 10# bag of ice in each pannier (hint: dry bags work great as coolers, keep that beer cold). Bikes are a few accessories away from a rolling party.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rogbie, if you are carrying two cases on your front rack and two more in your messenger bag, you are either my hero or my nemesis. If you are talking 6- packs (not 24 or 30 packs), cheers. Either way you have clearly earned a cold one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    SteveF, nice rack. Does it leave the option for lowrider front panniers open? Do you know of any hardware swaps that would make that rack work with side bags? I hate carrying weight high, but, that basket would be awfully convenient.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustedthrough View Post
    Rogbie, if you are carrying two cases on your front rack and two more in your messenger bag, you are either my hero or my nemesis. If you are talking 6- packs (not 24 or 30 packs), cheers. Either way you have clearly earned a cold one.
    The nice thing about canned beer; it's lighter. A usual party run is the following: 12 Dale's Pale Ale, 12 Mamma's Lil' Pils', 12 Happy Camper IPA, and 12 seasonal beers.

Now, to find friends to drink it all with...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I just don't drink and avoid alchies as well most the time. All drinkers want to do is drink, in general as for them it is activity to do in itself. And those who do drink and do drugs, but are active -- well they still schedule themselves around their addiction. If you bike with a pot smoker for example, they often just have to stop and smoke -- annoying.

guy
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyFokker View Post
    I just don't drink and avoid alchies as well most the time. All drinkers want to do is drink, in general as for them it is activity to do in itself. And those who do drink and do drugs, but are active -- well they still schedule themselves around their addiction. If you bike with a pot smoker for example, they often just have to stop and smoke -- annoying.

I think this is the wrong thread for you.

CDK
    mtbr member
    Are you serious? Those are pretty strong opinions.. maybe you should just not worry about what other people decide to do in their lives and focus on yourself and stay out of threads like this.

mtbr member

Re: How I transport beeer and other beverages

I just don't drink and avoid alchies as well most the time. All drinkers want to do is drink, in general as for them it is activity to do in itself. .
    I just don't tell people how to live their lives and avoid self righteous people as well most of the time. All self righteous people want to do is preach from their high horse, in general as for them it is an activity to do in itself..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Rogbie, that is a lovely supply list, I'm more in the 4 pack pub draught Guinness and Bushmills or Wild Turkey crowd myself.

I may need to consider keeping a Strohs, some bacon, some garlic, a doobie, and a few cigars in the panniers if they will save me from having the judgmental crowd ride with me.

CDK, if I were to go that route, I would look for a third bottle cage mount. Might spoil the look of such a beautiful bike though.

CDK
    mtbr member

CDK, if I were to go that route, I would look for a third bottle cage mount. Might spoil the look of such a beautiful bike though.
    It could be done with the behind the seat bottle cages and wouldnt look too bad. I personally don't drink that much because im a single dad of a 4 year old and don't get time like that so my simple method for bike beer transport works for me because i will pretty much only drink 1 or 2 at a time. Dont get me wrong i LOVE a good beer..

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    CDK, quality should always win over quantity. Quality time with the kid(s) is priceless. Do you carry groceries (milk, eggs, etc) on that bike?

My grocery run looks a lot like Snailspace's beer run, imagine potatoes, onions and celery where the Newcastle sits. I would love to find a better way to carry eggs, soft bread, and frozen OJ.

CDK
    mtbr member
    We have chickens so no egg carring and half of my back yard is a veggie garden. I work on the weekends driving a cab and pick up most groceries when i have my cab but i have no problem throwing stuff in a back pack which holds quite a bit.
    I own 2 cars but havent driven either of them in over a year. My 4 year old rides with me now when we do errands and just for fun. She has no problems doing 13mi rides for fun.
    Heres the rig before she was riding her own bike.
    How I transport beeer and other beverages-cam01438.jpg
    And now our rigs in style
    How I transport beeer and other beverages-cam02190.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    CDK you are an inspiration.

mtbr member
    I would love to find a better way to carry eggs, soft bread, and frozen OJ.
    A porteur rack is the perfect solution!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If I'm going to buy booze I like to buy as much as I can carry. That means 2 6pks/pannier or 6 26oz bottles/pannier, for a total of 4 panniers. And if I'm feeling brave I might even bungee a flat of beer on my rack. This way I only go to beer store monthly.

Was looking and axiom makes a beer basket for their racks Beer Basket LX Rear Top Mount Baskets Products Axiom Performance Gear

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Don't they have some rules in some parts of Canada about alcohol not being allowed to be transported exposed? I remember getting pulled over in Whistler 15 years ago in a rental SUV; I got severely patronised for about 20 mins by some cop over a 6 pack on the back seat. I think the only reason I didn't get a ticket was because I pulled the highly apologetic dumb tourist routine with her.
    Wonder if it applies to bikes with a slab on the rear rack

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The Axiom basket is a fine looking piece of equipment.

SteveF and Rogbie have me convinced that I should try a porteur rack in addition to the rear rack as my rig is already too heavy in the rear.

How does a 30 can suitcase up front effect handling and braking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If they are pint cans - you will be looking at 15kg. If they are the smaller ones about 10kg - that's quite a lot of weight on the front. Only way I could see that working is with low rider panniers or a porter and that would be right on the limit for most bikes. or on one of those delivery bikes where the front rack is an extension of the top tube. You wouldn't want it suspended of the rotating bits like Bars, stem or crown it would make the handling nasty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    SimpleJon poses a great question. West of Windsor Ontario, every one seems excited about increasing freedom to "open carry" firearms while I cannot legally walk the eight feet (1.7 metres or so) from the liquor store checkout to my panniers or VW without a brown bag over my libation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I thought this was how you were supposed to transport beer?
    Video: North Shore Beer Run - Fat Bike Growler Style - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If you look at my "My Commuters Opinions Please" http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/my-...se-923709.html You will see I have the appropriate front racks. As long as the weight is balanced and under 20lbs per pannier up front its fine when moving. Just have to be careful when stopped at a light or stop sign, cause fully loaded its can be a bit tippy.

I guess I'd better tarp the flat of beer next time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Tippy or tipsy ?...........

I've done a few fairly significant loaded tours and the max I've put on the front (surly LHT, Tubus low rider front racks and Ortlieb front bags) was 8Kg about 20lb in total. Anything above 8 or 10kg at a push on low riders I found was getting pretty unstable even balanced front and rear 1/3 - 2/3.
    In my opinion a touring bike or none lightweight MTB is probably OK up to about 25 to 30kg total load and will remain ridable, maybe a bit more (my Soma double cross CX / road bike starts to flex quite alarmingly once I get above about 15Kg total load) - You could push it for a beer run though every now and again. Or get one of those bob trailers - they can take a large volume of beer and the weight is kept pretty low, my buddies one is rated to 75Kg (if I remember correctly) that's 150 Pints!!!!

If you want to take more than that on a regular basis I would look at one of those cargo bikes (Big Dummy or Yuba Mundo type things) - then you could haul yourself a couple of kegs each time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Unlike Snailspace, I ride past the local beer distributor every time I go to the grocery store. If I want to go anywhere else, I ride past another beer store. A six pack here and there could work well for a labor day party, suggesting that a porteur rack is in order for me.

If I am going to carry a weeks' supply I should look into trailer options. Any trailer suggestions for pulling a kayak full of beer and tackle?

Afric Pepperbird
    I can fit two twelvers of cans in my Timbuk2 Swig pack.

mtbr member
    The second picture here looks like a party:

ILE Porteur Rack Bag / Wheelhouse Oakland

Nice use of porteur rack.