How to handle short greens- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

How to handle short greens

On a particular intersection that I traverse frequently, after dozens of attempts, I have finally figured out how to trigger the light without using the pedestrian button. However, I've found that using the trigger in the pavement, the light is much shorter. The road is about 130-150ft wide and the light is yellow before I make it to the median and turns red as I cross the last one or two lanes. There is a period of all directions red, but this doesn't feel good at all.

Using the pedestrian button gives me much more time, but the problem is that I need to go past the crosswalk, on to the sidewalk and then wait in front of the crosswalk for my travel direction. Aside from blocking the sidewalk, though it has little pedestrian traffic, this also has the problem of hiding me behind front-in parked vehicle. It would seem to put me at risk of getting hit by a right turning vehicle or making it difficult to merge into the road again.

Moderator Moderator
    haha "greens", I wondered why you would be asking a golf question.

So is the green longer when you go through following a car that triggers it? That seems strange.

Since it seems unsafe I would try contacting the street, highway or whatever dept. is responsible for the lights. Doing it in writing and copying the City Attorney or Risk Mgmt Department could up your chances of a response, since a lawsuit could be more succesful if they were previously notified of a dangerous situation and they don't correct it.

mtbr member
    In Indiana if you make it into the intersection on the yellow you are legal. Safe? That is a different question.

There is an intersection here I often use where I can enter on green if I am behind 1-3 cars (depending how slow they are), and if it turns yellow right afer, it wiil be red with about a lane to lane and a half (dependig on wind direction and speed) to cover. The light has a significant pause (read all directions) before the green for the cross street. You also are required to yield to all traffic in the intersection when the light turns green. That delay easily allows me out the other side and a piece down the road before cross traffic starts up.

But a large vehicle in the left lane could easily block a bike from the view of a driver in the right lane and some drivers jump the green. So I watch and if no one is behind (most go left here), I will move close to the center to be seen earlier and allow more stopping time for a jumping- jack-rabbiting motorist hiding behind a truck, No crosswalks and no buttons. Running front headlight(s) in the day and the bright ANSI vest helps here too.

I personally hate being set up for a right hook or fighting my way back into a traffic lane. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Ride faster.
    :wq

~Disc~Golf~
    I try to loft the ball up with a pitching wedge or similar and try to add just a touch of backspin.

I hope this helps
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Only maybe 1/4 the time there is another car waiting for the light. If I am behind that car, I will maybe get as far as a the median before the all directions red.

The road I am traveling on is infrequently used so the chance of getting hit by a right turning vehicle is small and problem of getting back into the roadway isn't a big deal but it is still a risk that should be mitigated. The road I am crossing however has high volume of traffic at high speed.

The road I'm crossing is limit 40 MPH, but it is not uncommon to see the "Your speed is" sign light up 70.

The street has 2 sensors embedded in the road. The first, closest to the intersection, is square with a diagonals and the second one is a big rectangle, about 4 or 5 ft wide and maybe 15 ft long.
    Last edited by jseko; 06-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I usually saute some garlic and onions in a bit of olive oil first, and then chop up some short greens (kale, chard, collards, etc.) and then add them in when the garlic and onions start to brown slightly.

I hope this helps.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I usually saute some garlic and onions in a bit of olive oil first, and then chop up some short greens (kale, chard, collards, etc.) and then add them in when the garlic and onions start to brown slightly.

I hope this helps.
    Sounds yummy. I do that for broccoli, bok choy, or spinach.

Wanderer
    If I'm approached by a short green alien I ride away very fast. I saw what they did to Cartman!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The short hop over to the pedestrian button is a great oppourtunity to practise some bike skills bunny hops, hop and turns, track stand etc...

On the other hand you could practise high intensity sprints off the line to beat the yellow light.

Either way you are gonna hafta live with the issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    On the other hand you could practise high intensity sprints off the line to beat the yellow light.
    +1

When a light goes green I've been waiting for a second or two in a trackstand or just barely creeping off the line and mash the pedals the moment it changes. Having the right gear already selected helps. I like one that will just barely get the front wheel off the ground when I mash it, stand up, and shift up to the big ring when I'm most of the way through the intersection and spinning too fast. Too high a gear and you can't explode off the line. Too low a gear and you have to shift too much and too soon. I'm still watching traffic as I creep the line, making sure nobody is running the red, as it's not uncommon. Rarely does a car pass me before I hit 20mph and am 200 feet past the line.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff View Post
    If I'm approached by a short green alien I ride away very fast. I saw what they did to Cartman!
    I want an alien for Christmas!
    I want a little green guy about 3 feet high with seventeen eyes who knows how to fly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    For most intersections, cars won't pass me until somewhere on the other side of the intersection, but I'm finding this intersection is quite problematic due to the short cycle.

Frt Range, CO
    I chose to use the ped button and watch for right turning cars. It's my safest alternative for a similar intersection I have on my commute.

~Disc~Golf~
    The thing is, the 'ped-button' is a sorry way, (and sometimes dangerous for left turns_ there is no way to activate the left signal, so you must cross lanes, enter sidewalk, and then start your left turn from the cross walk ( often illegal, but rarely cited)

Some left turns don't even have PED signals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    I try to loft the ball up with a pitching wedge or similar and try to add just a touch of backspin.

I hope this helps
    It takes two touches of backspin.

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ Shut up moderator!

WTH? when/Why is Shawn a mod?

sorry neg reps for that - j/k