How to be a good cyclist on road.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

How to be a good cyclist on road.

Hi, I seen alot of common complaint abt cyclist being bully,target on road. Cyclist feels frustrated and blood boils. Communting to work or school becomes a chore rather than fun and convenient.. I'm too a cyclist on road. Using my MTB to work or nearby , to meet out friends.

I was once feeling frustrated and feels like giving up communting to work. But since, I set a few set of rules to follow and everything changes and I always eagerly waiting for these moment that is to cycle to work.

-Be situation awareness
    Be aware of what's happening around u including behind u. Side mirror is a must for bic on roads. Yes, it will affect yr arerodynamic or yr super macho bic image but yr lifes is 100 times more important than those things. I seen a lot of cyclist just change lane without knowing what sh*t is behind them on the other lane, they don even bother to turn their heads to see. They must be thinking they are indestructable by cars? In some country where there is no bic lane. Some heavy vehicle will be moving from behind. Without knowing they are behind u, u can't take the correct action to allow them safely pass thru u and will endanger yrself. Check yr side mirror every 10 seconds to know the latest situation so that u can prepare yrself for any surprises.

-Be considerate to motorist.
    Road actually meant more for cars and bike. Yes , cyclist are second citizen. These is a hard fact I need to accept. priority sure be given to them.
    Example. Let them pass u near the junction in front if they have the intention to turn in by slowing down. Or u speed up abit since u are already quite near the junction so that they need not slow behind u and wait for u to cross the junction area before turning. Help them save abit of petrol by not slowing them down unneccesary. That is where yr side mirrors comes in...

I have been applying these 2 major rules and so far has pleasant jounrney for my everyday commuting. Blood boil incident cuts down dramatically, near accident incident becomes zero! I hope all commuting cyclist can have a fun ride to work/school. Most important enjoy doing it!

Of cos there are more to narrate but I make it short and sweet! Have a nice commuting everyday..

poser Administrator
    I agree with this, while I don't use a mirror I am constantly shoulder checking and often practice holding my line while sitting up and looking over my shoulder (I had a friend killed when he jumped into traffic thinking it was clear but never saw the car in the right most lane next to him...boom dead). So sit up and look over your shoulder cleanly, then do it again, then commit to changing lanes while signaling. Plus it is a good skill to have when riding in a pack so practice helps there too.

Better safe than dead no matter how awkward or lame you feel. Always.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Commuter Bikes NEED all the geeky things like mirrors, bells/horns, etc. I use Topeak Bar ends with flip-up mirrors. They make commuting on streets/roads so much safer. I even use them on multi-use paths to know what is coming up behind me. And, the bell is more of a coutesy to let slower moving bike or foot traffic know I'm coming up behind them. This works well (except for those inconsiderate few that insist on wearing earphones and listening to music so load they can't hear their surroundings).

mtbr member
    I try to be as inobtrusive to autos as possible, without putting myself in danger.
    The Maritime Law of "Gross Tonage" applies to bikes on the roadways.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I agree with this, while I don't use a mirror I am constantly shoulder checking and often practice holding my line while sitting up and looking over my shoulder (I had a friend killed when he jumped into traffic thinking it was clear but never saw the car in the right most lane next to him...boom dead). So sit up and look over your shoulder cleanly, then do it again, then commit to changing lanes while signaling. Plus it is a good skill to have when riding in a pack so practice helps there too.

Better safe than dead no matter how awkward or lame you feel. Always.
    Pal! Is better to install a side mirror. Turning over yr head for often can led to accident too.
    Plus it is impossible to monitor the situation road surrounding for long time without using side mirror.

I have a few occasion where reckless driver driving so near the road shoulder that I was nearly squeeze out. luckily I already know their presence long time ago with my side mirror and I take precaution by slowing down, stick very near side road and let them pass me.. Without mirror, u wouldn't know those idiot behind him driving near curb, attempt killing u.

back2bikin'
    I biked to school in LA in the mid-seventies. While I had no mirrors, I had my head on a constant swivel. These days, being almost fifty, I swerve every time I turn my head. I've always given motored vehicles the right of way. Though I run most 4 way stop signs, if there is a vehicle at one, I stop. Thanks for the reminder to keep a courteous attitude, it pays on the road as well as off.
    "So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature,..."

LCI #1853
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    Hi, I seen alot of common complaint abt cyclist being bully,target on road. Cyclist feels frustrated and blood boils. Communting to work or school becomes a chore rather than fun and convenient.. I'm too a cyclist on road. Using my MTB to work or nearby , to meet out friends.

I was once feeling frustrated and feels like giving up communting to work. But since, I set a few set of rules to follow and everything changes and I always eagerly waiting for these moment that is to cycle to work.
    A simpler principle, much easier to remember (and spell) has been around for a long time:

"Cyclists fare best when they behave and are treated in return just like the drivers of any other vehicle."

In every single state and territory, the same laws apply to cyclists that apply to cars and trucks:

• Drive on the right side of the roadway; never on the left, and never on the sidewalk.
    • Obey all traffic signs and signals.
    • When you reach a more important or larger road than you are on, yield to crossing traffic.
    • When you intend to change lanes or move laterally on the roadway, yield to traffic already in the new lane or line of travel.
    • When approaching an intersection, position yourself according to the direction you plan to go If turning right, be in the right third of the lane, going straight ahead be in the center third of the lane, and if turning left, be in the left third of the lane.
    • Between intersections, position yourself according to your speed relative to other traffic -- parked vehicles at the curb, slow vehicles on the right, faster vehicles pass on the left

Be predictable in your behavior and position on the roadway, be alert to your surroundings, be visible to other drivers, be assertive in your right to use the roadway, and be courteous, respecting the rights of all other roadway users as well as your own.

And when you wave at motorists, use ALL of your fingers, not just the middle one.

Tom

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PscyclePath
    not just the middle one.
    well I use my thumb also . . .

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by shimano4
    Hi, I seen alot of common complaint abt ... Of cos there are more to narrate but I make it short and sweet! Have a nice commuting everyday..
    I didn't read the whole post because my eyes started bleeding, but I think I have a general idea of what the Mad Typist wrote and....

I don't think mirrors are a must for commuting- though being constantly aware and looking far into the future is very necessary. I also listen to music while riding. I've done extended periods without music and with. Sometimes I want to listen to something. I don't know why people come down so hard on it- I'm still paying attention and honestly, if I get picked off, I doubt there is much I could do about it without earphones.

I think the biggest trick to being safe is to try to keep cars from being on your left hand side whenever you come up to a right turn. If you are in a blind spot or too close behind to stop when the turn is made, you're toast. That is where most accidents happen. So be aware.

Before I got my motorcycle license I went through a motorcycle course- every cyclist should take the same course as the same rules apply.

Bikeoholic
    I don't use a mirror, but I can also hold my line while looking over my shoulder.

Commuting is a tricky beast, there are people out there who ride on the road and don't obey any of the laws, then there are those who ride too safely (passivly) thus confusing drivers further.

The best thing is to be knowledgeable of the laws and follow them while at the same time riding defensivly.

A great book if you want to find out about your rights and responsibilities as a cyclists is:
    "Bicycling and the Law"
    Its an ok read with lots of useful info.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

mtbr member
    expect the driver to do the most idiotic thing, intersections and tight spots in the road always get a glance-back BEFORE I get there to see if I'm going to be in the line of fire!

Members who have read this thread: 0