How far do you commute?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2009

How far do you commute?

I have been thinking about commuting to work but i know the mountain bike i just got probably isn't the best to do it in b/c of the distance. To drive to work its 30 miles for me and most of its interstate. So if i try and use the bike trails to get all the way there i am thinking it will add maybe 5 more miles to get to work. So i am assuming my trek would be about 35 miles.

No-Brakes Cougar
    You can use http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ to map your route via bike with elevation profile, etc.... You can do it on a MTB no problem, though you might want to add bar ends or something that will give you additional hand positions. Maybe some Ergon grips. A lot of people think that it's easier to do a commute that far on a road, CX or touring bike and there's nothing wrong with that. I'd rather be on a MTB though.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mhuff29
    I have been thinking about commuting to work but i know the mountain bike i just got probably isn't the best to do it in b/c of the distance. To drive to work its 30 miles for me and most of its interstate. So if i try and use the bike trails to get all the way there i am thinking it will add maybe 5 more miles to get to work. So i am assuming my trek would be about 35 miles.
    35miles? That is alot.. Why not consider foldie. Cycle for half and take public transport for another half.

weirdo
    Yeah, that`s a LONG way to bicycle twice a day. Maybe you can split it up like Shimano said. Or, depending on the security/storage situation, maybe you could leave your bike at work one day, the next day drive in and ride home, then ride in and drive home? It`s still a lot longer than most bicycle commutes, but there are people who do that kind of distance.

My own commute is very short- a little over three miles each way.

Bedwards Of The West
    35 miles is a big time commitment... That's gonna add a lot to your work day. My commute is 6 miles one way. Takes me about 20 minutes and it's mostly road (some dirt). 35 miles...that's a 2 hour commute at my pace (one way).
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I currently live 33miles from work and what I do is drive 16miles and bike 17. I got a good deal on a road bike at a garage sale this summer and I am averaging 16-18mph to and from work on the road bike. I never got those speeds on my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mine is a measly 8 miles roundtrip on flat paved roadways. One tank of gas a month for the custom car is the best part to me!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by moralleper
    I currently live 33miles from work and what I do is drive 16miles and bike 17. I got a good deal on a road bike at a garage sale this summer and I am averaging 16-18mph to and from work on the road bike. I never got those speeds on my mountain bike.
    That's a nice idea. My commute is 23 miles and i pretty much have to take major highways the first half. If i parked halfway it will kill some of the mileage.

Does anyone else commute this way?

mtbr member
    Besides time the other reason I commute some via car is I would have to ride on I-5 or go over a hill that is runs between 8-15% grade for 4 miles with no warm up since that would be out of my driveway.

Sep 2009
    I have been thinking about commuting to work but i know the mountain bike i just got probably isn't the best to do it in b/c of the distance. To drive to work its 30 miles for me and most of its interstate. So if i try and use the bike trails to get all the way there i am thinking it will add maybe 5 more miles to get to work. So i am assuming my trek would be about 35 miles.<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    25 KM From my house to my work

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    1/3 mile, I do it every day.

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I ride about 19 miles to work and about 24 on the way home i ride a few trails on the way home What i like to do is to drive to work and ride home then ride back to work and drive home.

newble
    Jul 2009
    I would like to commute. I have 16 miles each way on road. Some spots it is even straight up dangerous. :-/ Maybe one day.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by olegbabich
    1/3 mile, I do it every day.
    It`s actually kind of nice to hear that. I often get tired of hearing the pissing matches where each entry is an attempt to beat out the previous ones for "mine is bigger" and "I go faster".

mtbr member
    I am new to commuting (about 2 months), for now I do it once a week 10 miles each way. I am lucky with nice wide bike lanes for about 7 of that and it's a very flat commute. Today though, I had to fight the wind. That sucks!

Sep 2009
    I will definately have to work up to doing the entire ride, lots of hills and now its getting to be pretty chilly out! Plus its so damn dark in the mornings now and crazy ass Denverite drivers

No-Brakes Cougar
    I will definately have to work up to doing the entire ride, lots of hills and now its getting to be pretty chilly out! Plus its so damn dark in the mornings now and crazy ass Denverite drivers
    I think it's easier to ride in the cooler weather, maybe because I get overheated so easily.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0