How do you lock...- Mtbr.com
    Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008

How do you lock...

up your cargo when you go into another store? I have just a plain filing-type basket bungeed onto the back of my cargo bike for carrying whatever I buy, but I was wondering if y'all had any suggestions on anything that's lockable to put on my bike for when I went into the store, I wouldn't have to worry about my merch getting stolen. I'm sure people have dealt with this problem before.

Bedwards Of The West
    Some folks use a locking 'trunk' available from most motorcycle shops... just mount it to your rack... they can be heavy though.

like this: http://www.motorcycletrunk.co.cc/rev...001PMI3JC.html
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Moderator Moderator
    I just use a backpack, but have seen security stuff from pacsafe.com in catalogues - from lightweight locking cables you could loop on top of some grocery carriers to a pricey waterproof stuff sac with integrated locking cable fishnetty thingy (not what they call it, obviously!) to keep it from being easily slashed open or grabbed.

Oct 2009
    You can always use a completely different and slightly more creative approach... make your cargo look really gross so no one wants it. Just set some old banana peels or a dead fish on it... anything to make it look like it's the worst thing ever.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenboarder
    You can always use a completely different and slightly more creative approach... make your cargo look really gross so no one wants it. Just set some old banana peels or a dead fish on it... anything to make it look like it's the worst thing ever.
    A friend of mine used to prevent his car stereo from being stolen by draping his underwear over it.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    with a skid mark right?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenboarder
    Haha! I like it! A couple droopy old condoms should do the trick!

Loco, I don`t understand what you`re trying to protect. If you`re in the store, your cargo is still in the shopping basket, isn`t it? Or do you mean work clothes, pump, lights, etc?

Like was mentioned, maybe carry it in a backpack with you or adapt a hardshell trunk. In my case I have my lights and pump bolted to the bike and if I run into the store on my way home from work I hang my helmet and reflective vest on the bars, stuff my glasses, hat and balaclava and whatever else into my front bag and just trust that nobody makes off with it while I`m inside. So far I`ve been fine.

EDIT: Whoops- sorry. Now I see that you`re talking about multi store shopping. You`re a much more ambitious bike shopper than I am. Probably the trunk idea. Or maybe a small version of a military style dufflebag that has a lock loop on top?
    Recalculating....

Members who have read this thread: 0