How did you find your route?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

How did you find your route?

I have been looking for a good online route planner but I have not been able to find anything. Are there any sites that people have had luck with?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I do a lot of riding......so I ride new routes.....just for fun

Never know what you will find.

Still want a fat bike....
    Several options out there.....

The two options I used were Mapmyride.com and google maps bike routes. Once I got to riding, I modified my route to find what worked best for me and I use that one the majority of the time, but I do change it up once in a while.

Moderator Moderator
    For a quick check of distance or terrain to a new location, I do a quick "get directions" on googlemaps (and switch to terrain option to see hills). For more in depth review or comparison, I like the elevation profiles that mapmyride generates for the route. For some purposes, a detailed paper map or DeLorme Atlas is still best.

mtbr member
    I find google streetview to be a really useful tool for confirming a possible route. It gives you a good idea of what the road actually looks like, since on a map all "bike routes" look that same, even if they suck. And you can check important things - like making sure there are traffic lights anywhere you have to cross a major road, possible offroad shortcuts, or even bikeracks at your destination.

And since it hasn't been mentioned, the route that you would drive is probably not the route you want to ride. I like to try to find quiet roads that run parallel to main ones, but are a block or two removed from the gridlock.

Which way? Uphill.
    Yep mapmyride and google maps to get the general gist of things. Then seeing possible alternatives along the route and trying them out on the way home when a time penalty isn't as big of a deal.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

dirtbag
    Google maps along with a little bike recon.
    Amolan

jrm
    mtbr member

Check with your

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaprotege4 View Post
    I have been looking for a good online route planner but I have not been able to find anything. Are there any sites that people have had luck with?

Thanks
    local or county bicycle coalition or CL bike forum. Probably some good recs on where and where to not ride in your city.

banned
    Aug 2011
    yes i do it for fun, some times when i'm getting bored i just ride

mtbr member
    I set my route a few years ago. I used Google Sat view, then rode the trip on a weekend. That worked well. Once I started commuting more frequently I started noticing potential shortcuts, and mapped them with Google, tried them, etc. My route is pretty solid now.
    :wq

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    As many have stated.
    Step 1 - Computer/Internet - Google Earth, Internet Mapping sites (Google maps, MapQuest, etc.), GPS route sharing sites (gpsies.com, Garmin connect, mapmyride.com, etc.).
    Step 2 - Recon - Drive the potential route (if possible) making note of potential hazards and adjust the route as you see fit. Then ride the potential route on an off day and make further adjustments as you see fit. This also give you a realistic time reference on how much time you need to complete your ride.
    Step 3 - Start bicycle commuting.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    I typically use Gmap Pedometer (Gmaps Pedometer) to plan my route and then maybe streetview or drive it in my car to get an idea of traffic, etc.

mtbr member
    Google Earth (instead of google maps) lets me switch to early-spring air photos (with no leaf cover) so I can see trails and short-cuts easier. Imagery availability in your home town my vary.

Then, fine-tuning of the route with trial and error until I find a combination I like.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    A combination of google maps and a sense of adventure on the way home, when it does not matter if I get lost or are late. Then I just ride whichever of the routes I feel like depending on conditions and time.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Google Maps and the bike map published by the county.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I drove the routes I had, and looked for the safest way to go. This was pre-satellite maps online.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.