• 08-04-2011
    mazdaprotege4
    How did you find your route?
    I have been looking for a good online route planner but I have not been able to find anything. Are there any sites that people have had luck with?

Thanks
  • 08-04-2011
    jeffscott
    I do a lot of riding......so I ride new routes.....just for fun

Never know what you will find.
  • 08-04-2011
    Dalton
    Several options out there.....

The two options I used were Mapmyride.com and google maps bike routes. Once I got to riding, I modified my route to find what worked best for me and I use that one the majority of the time, but I do change it up once in a while.
  • 08-04-2011
    mtbxplorer
    For a quick check of distance or terrain to a new location, I do a quick "get directions" on googlemaps (and switch to terrain option to see hills). For more in depth review or comparison, I like the elevation profiles that mapmyride generates for the route. For some purposes, a detailed paper map or DeLorme Atlas is still best.
  • 08-04-2011
    newfangled
    I find google streetview to be a really useful tool for confirming a possible route. It gives you a good idea of what the road actually looks like, since on a map all "bike routes" look that same, even if they suck. And you can check important things - like making sure there are traffic lights anywhere you have to cross a major road, possible offroad shortcuts, or even bikeracks at your destination.

And since it hasn't been mentioned, the route that you would drive is probably not the route you want to ride. I like to try to find quiet roads that run parallel to main ones, but are a block or two removed from the gridlock.
  • 08-04-2011
    nepbug
    Yep mapmyride and google maps to get the general gist of things. Then seeing possible alternatives along the route and trying them out on the way home when a time penalty isn't as big of a deal.
  • 08-05-2011
    ranier
    Google maps along with a little bike recon.
  • 08-05-2011
    jrm
    Check with your
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mazdaprotege4 View Post
    I have been looking for a good online route planner but I have not been able to find anything. Are there any sites that people have had luck with?

Thanks

local or county bicycle coalition or CL bike forum. Probably some good recs on where and where to not ride in your city.
  • 08-05-2011
    evelyn_cates
    yes i do it for fun, some times when i'm getting bored i just ride
  • 08-05-2011
    nachomc
    I set my route a few years ago. I used Google Sat view, then rode the trip on a weekend. That worked well. Once I started commuting more frequently I started noticing potential shortcuts, and mapped them with Google, tried them, etc. My route is pretty solid now.
  • 08-06-2011
    Solomon76
    As many have stated.
    Step 1 - Computer/Internet - Google Earth, Internet Mapping sites (Google maps, MapQuest, etc.), GPS route sharing sites (gpsies.com, Garmin connect, mapmyride.com, etc.).
    Step 2 - Recon - Drive the potential route (if possible) making note of potential hazards and adjust the route as you see fit. Then ride the potential route on an off day and make further adjustments as you see fit. This also give you a realistic time reference on how much time you need to complete your ride.
    Step 3 - Start bicycle commuting.
  • 08-08-2011
    bubbajoe72
    I typically use Gmap Pedometer (Gmaps Pedometer) to plan my route and then maybe streetview or drive it in my car to get an idea of traffic, etc.
  • 08-08-2011
    ghettocruiser
    Google Earth (instead of google maps) lets me switch to early-spring air photos (with no leaf cover) so I can see trails and short-cuts easier. Imagery availability in your home town my vary.

Then, fine-tuning of the route with trial and error until I find a combination I like.
  • 08-08-2011
    Shalom
    A combination of google maps and a sense of adventure on the way home, when it does not matter if I get lost or are late. Then I just ride whichever of the routes I feel like depending on conditions and time.
  • 08-08-2011
    AndrwSwitch
    Google Maps and the bike map published by the county.
  • 08-09-2011
    OmaHaq
    I drove the routes I had, and looked for the safest way to go. This was pre-satellite maps online.