How to confront a neighbor...- Mtbr.com
    Kaishingo

How to confront a neighbor...

So, my wife tells me she had an "incident" the other morning riding to work. In a nutshell, she was turning left, and the car that was closely following her decided to pass her...on the left. 2-lane road, so essentially the car crossed the double-yellow to rocket past.

The juicy part is that this is apparently one of our neighbors - we live in a smallish condo community. I think she can point the car out to me, and it sounds like these are new tenants I've never met.

Options as I see it are:

1. Knock on the door and have a friendly chat.
    2. Knock on the door, and have a not-so-friendly chat.
    3. Note the license plate number and have some town cops knock on the door and have a friendly (or god-willing, not so friendly) chat.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Seven mary three....seven mary three...we have a 10-67 in progress!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wuzilla
    So, my wife tells me she had an "incident" the other morning riding to work. In a nutshell, she was turning left, and the car that was closely following her decided to pass her...on the left. 2-lane road, so essentially the car crossed the double-yellow to rocket past.

The juicy part is that this is apparently one of our neighbors - we live in a smallish condo community. I think she can point the car out to me, and it sounds like these are new tenants I've never met.

Options as I see it are:

1. Knock on the door and have a friendly chat.
    2. Knock on the door, and have a not-so-friendly chat.
    3. Note the license plate number and have some town cops knock on the door and have a friendly (or god-willing, not so friendly) chat.

Better to catch the guy in the act....generally pretty easy to do cause people quickly fall into habits....the helmet cam is a great tool.
    Thoughts?
    Gotta keep it at relatively tranquil.... at least the first round.

Moderator Moderator
    I would talk to your wife first, and even then, I'd wait a few days. While it is very knightly of you to want to rush to her defense, you could easily overreact, and it may not have the desired effect. Perhaps if you see them out in the yard and the car is there you could introduce yourself and say, gee, whoever was driving that car the other day scared my wife to deah when she was riding her bike.

mtbr member
    Embarassment out of kindness. Have your wife ride over with cookies/cake/ whatever to welcome them to the neightborhood. They may recognize her from before. But they will next morning. Hard to do something really stupid to spomeone who welcomed you and gave you cookies. Honey is better than vinegar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I think the last two comments are on the right track for you.

Before confronting them, remember that you have to live next to them for the foreseeable future.... But remember this works both ways as well, so use it...

Find the opportunity to introduce yourself, then do some super neighborly thing like help them move lawn furniture, or bake them a cake or somehting ... then, as you enjoy a cold beer together as neighbors who just helped each otehr in the yard, or as the neighbor who randomly just baked them a cake, mention, int he most nonconfrontational way you can, bring up the incidnet, and mention that it was really frightening to your wife, and that it is difficult for cyclists to make a left turn safely when people are driving that way.

Be nice and neighborlike through the whole episode, and they'll probably be much more attentive, and much more likely to not pass int he same situation in the future...

Best of all will be the entertaining idea of wondering how long they contemplate the pie you just baked for them out of the blue, and contemplating whether you maybe did something funny to it, all the while WANTING to eat it, and feeling compelled to eat it out of courtesy.... Revenge, served sweet.

jrm
    mtbr member

It

doesnt seem like the driver knew your wife was turning left.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Assuming your wife was left or center in her lane signaling a left turn, jrm makes a good point: too many people think I am waving when I use hand signals. So few know them. No excuse really, but more easy to understand.

Kaishingo
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    Never thought about that - I guess if he didn't know she was turning, he would treat her like any cyclist (ie, pass aggressively). I just got the image of a car attempting to occupy the same space as a cyclist, and not doing so in an accidental fashion I mean, I've been hit before, but they've all been due to inattentiveness on both parties.

Many good points above I've tried saying hi to this guy before in the past - he's one of those that gives a look of "why the hell are you talking to me?" Living in Northern VA, I'm pretty used to that sort of un-neighborly behavior, so never thought much of it. I'll try stepping it up a notch.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Call the po-po and claim that you have seen these people stumbling and apparently intoxicated before/after entering/exiting their vehicles. Just to screw with them.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Frt Range, CO
    Sugar in the gas tank, potato in the exhaust pipe.

Members who have read this thread: 0