How can you commute faster on a bike than a car??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

How can you commute faster on a bike than a car??

Dig this article on commuting on the sister-site

Biking to Work - Getting Started
    After feeling the effects of gas prices and seeing the economy crater, I decided I'd like to see what it would be like to get around the SF Bay Area without a car. In other words, to commute via bike + train. I figured it might be a good way to save up some money for Christmas while getting into better cycling shape. And, more importantly, see how folks get around when they’re tied to someone else’s schedule. What I l experienced was very interesting
    What's wrong with the pic?

• light
    • lock
    • battery
    • computer

These all take time to put to and take off. I had a removeable cateye, eventually it popped out on a ride, now my only cat eye product is a water bottle cage.

I live about 4.5 miles from work, so it is possible to commute faster on the bike then the car. However, it takes times to set the bike up and dismount all the stuff the thieves like.

Now its dark when i get out of work. My light is on my helmet so i don't have to worry about taking it off. When I want computer I use the foreunner 405, its on the wrist no need to futz with. If the bike is ready to roll, then I can commute faster then the car, especially now that my car has cold-start issues
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

Bedwards Of The West
    I never use a computer on the commuter. Quick dismounting headlight/taillight both go in my backpack, the end. Takes 5 seconds to 'set up' or 'tear down'.

I do have the luxury of parking inside both at home and at work though, so I don't have to mess with the lock. But I'd think if I did I'd just keep it in the backpack too. I still take the lights off at either end of the trip most of the time.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I never use a computer on the commuter. Quick dismounting headlight/taillight both go in my backpack, the end. Takes 5 seconds to 'set up' or 'tear down'.

I do have the luxury of parking inside both at home and at work though, so I don't have to mess with the lock. But I'd think if I did I'd just keep it in the backpack too. I still take the lights off at either end of the trip most of the time.
    now you got me thinking...

i been carrying the locks in a nike back-pack, but i'm thinking of attaching a rear blinkie to the helmet. i have a usb cable here at work, and an ac adapter at home for the minewt usb helmet light

i took the bike into work one day last week, but i usually just lock it up out side. since all the smokers gather at the livery entance. i don't want to disrupt the cig-clutch

San Diego at NY Giants 4:15 PM CBS Tickets | Travel Giants Stadium

sunday afternoon will be good to commute to the giants game even if i don't have to buy tickets i'll have money to buy some chicken wings!

Bedwards Of The West
    My Bell Metro helmet has a mounting point on the back for a blinky taillight. The PB superflash mounts on there nicely. I do that when I ride the mountain bike, since the seatpost mount is on the 'cross bike. Last I looked the metro was on sale at nashbar.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    • light
    • lock
    • battery
    • computer

These all take time to put to and take off. I had a removeable cateye, eventually it popped out on a ride, now my only cat eye product is a water bottle cage.
    Just because you usually lock your bike outside doesn`t mean that the guy in the article does. Maybe he works in an office and parks it right next to his desk with the lock just in case he stops on the way home. If he needs lights, he needs them- no way to leave them at home, but they can be bolted on, as I mentioned in your other thread, or removed whenever you leave your bike, like C.B. says.

Yeah, computer mounts are all pretty flimsy as far as I know- I think I`ve had three computers by two different brands and I didn`t like to remove and reinstall the computer body on any of them because they just didn`t feel like they would put up with many on and off cycles. They aren`t really needed, but if somebody really wants one on his commuter, at least they`re cheap and not really worth stealing or worrying about.

Faster by bike than by car? For me, it`s pretty fast by bike but would be even faster by driving except in the case of special events along my route (one week every September). The past few weeks have been another exception because roadwork has the streets all torn up and it`s a detour nightmare for the cars. On my bike, I cheat and ride over most of the torn up stuff.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    IF YOU WANT to commute fast you could always get a set of these

2009 Mavic Speedcity Wheelset

local trails rider
    I am not faster by bike, for my 5 mile commute, but I come close enough.

By car I have lots of stops at traffic lights, and during commuting hours there's usually others going at the same time too. By bike I can take a more straight route, with little traffic, and avoid most of the traffic lights.

I don't use a computer. Parking at work is secure enough that I can leave the rechargable light on the bike. The U lock goes in the backpack. Locking the bike to the rack takes about as long as it takes for a driver to find a slot and carefully drive into it to make sure there's enough space to open the doors.

mtbr member
    Parking at work is secure enough that I can leave the rechargable light on the bike.
    that's why i'd rather live in finland then the nyc area

Underskilled
    My biggest time saver is leaving a BIG lock at work on the racks, saves me carrying one in.

I leave my lights and everything on.

5 mile commute and can shave over an hour off the return journey.
    Lots of traffic make it easy =-)

monster member
    If you enjoy bicycling and you're counting minutes whether the bike is actually faster, then you're missing half the point of commuting.
    Have fun!

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    Hi..new to the Commuting forum..actually I'm kind of new to the commuting by bicycle business...just started it in march...(I probably should introduce myself properly in other thread)

I have a 9.5 hrs job day....getting in at 7:30 am...7 mile commute...not having showers at the office I have to include time to go to a gym to take one....don't want to sound rude but... for me leaving home without my computer is just not an option, I certainly need to count my minutes...well that or start waking up at 5 am!! hehehe

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed
    If you enjoy bicycling and you're counting minutes whether the bike is actually faster, then you're missing half the point of commuting.
    It is a contributing factor.

Another factor is the fact I have lost a few stone since doing it
    I also arrive at work refreshed, awake, and feeling great.
    I have a variety of routes in and back depending on mood/lateness.

One route involves cycling up and down stairs (always love the look I get when I cycle up a flight of stairs), drop offs and single track. not bad for a city commute =-)

so there are many reasons, but the extra time I get to spend with my wife at the end of the day is a key reason.

Brentster
    Jun 2007
    I have a 2 mile commute and not having to park the car in the 6 floor parking garage and instead take my bike in the elevator to my office saves a few minutes on my total time from my driveway to my desk. About 15 minutes total.

mtbr member
    One route involves cycling up and down stairs (always love the look I get when I cycle up a flight of stairs), drop offs and single track. not bad for a city commute =-)

i like mtbing down the stairs, next time, i'll have to try going up

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed
    Cycling is a form of exercising. Cycling faster during commuting is also a form of motivation and daily training I targeted to meet.

My route is all the same daily. I don't think there is anything new in terms of scenery for me to enjoy.

mtbr member
    My bike commute form Campbell to north San Jose takes 35 min by bike. On day I experiment by trying bike commuting + light rail train.

I see light rail zooming by me regardless of stops on first street and then again on the Los Gatos Creek trail, but even though I only had to ride a total of 2 blocks, light rail was more than double time of biking alone.

I don't worry about my detachable parts because most of the time I park behind a security gate at work, I have solid axles, and everything else has been attached via security torx.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Leave the lock at work. No need to schlepp the thing to and fro. Pick up another lock to keep at home for otherwise.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Bedwards Of The West
    I live in the sticks. I see more deer than people on my commute, and there are no traffic lights (or other cars on the road usually, for that matter) on my commute. It takes me 10 minutes or so longer by bike....if I remember right. I've only driven once this year

For me the time factor isn't the point, but it certainly is what got me started commuting when I lived in Los Angeles County. I was way faster by bike down there when my commute was towards the city in the morning.

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman

i like mtbing down the stairs, next time, i'll have to try going up
    That looks hard!
    The stairs for me are short but steep. no way to put power in just slam into at full speed and carry enough to reach the top.

your commute looks much nicer then mine.

Members who have read this thread: 0