Hope more turn out like this.......- Mtbr.com
    Ska
    Steel is real.

Hope more turn out like this.......

Don't know if this has been posted here before but I thought it was awesome. I wish EVERY city was like this.......... Way to lead by example. Amazing stats as well BTW.

http://www.streetfilms.org/copenhage...endly-streets/

Check the link for the vid.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

I got nothin'

Portland, OR

Our city leaders and advocates go the Denmark at least once a year to learn more about what the Dutch are doing right. Our city transportation leaders are making some inroads into implementing some of what the Dutch have come up with. I really like the blinking red lights in the street that notify the drivers that a bike is coming up on the right. I get cut off at least once a day downtown by cars turning right when the driver doesn't check their mirror.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

fux
    Scooterist
    Since when did the Dutch live in Denmark?

Disclaimer. I now sell bicycles and bicycle tyres.

instacrap ----> http://instagram.com/manx71/

weirdo
    That was a good video. Some neat ideas that I never would have thought about- timing lights for 20KPH, pre greens that let the bikes loose before the cars, anti right hook indicators.... too cool! I didn`t notice any city busses in the vid, though. Does anybody happen to know if they run a bus system there?
    Recalculating....

i roam around.
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    That was a good video. Some neat ideas that I never would have thought about- timing lights for 20KPH, pre greens that let the bikes loose before the cars, anti right hook indicators.... too cool! I didn`t notice any city busses in the vid, though. Does anybody happen to know if they run a bus system there?
    They do have a bus system, and it seemed to be pretty good, but I was only there for about 2 days this summer so I didn't use it extensively. Their underground metro system is also fantastic, among the best I've seen for a city of that size. I think it was completed in the last 5-10 years though, so that was an advantage.

I didn't watch the video, so apologies if any of this was touched upon. The bike culture there is really impossible to compare to anything in the USA, IMO. You could stand on a corner and, in one rotation of the stop lights, see maybe 50 people pass on bicycles. All manner of people too, it's fun seeing guys fly buy wearing 3-piece sutis and helmets. And don't get me started on the ladies...

Another cool thing is that at major intersections or other points, there are pillars with street signs or whatever but then they have an IR counter with an LED readout that shows how many cyclists have passed so far for that day. We'd be out in late afternoon and some of these things would be showing over 7000 riders having passed!

Definitely a bike commuting paradise.

Moderator Moderator
    I enjoyed the video too - the infrastructure improvements were great but even better is the totally different mindset toward bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    LED lights to let drivers aware of cyclists? Seriously? It's like a dream world for all of us! Some places are lucky enough to get a measly 1ft bike lane, much less lighted indicators for automobile drivers to make them more aware of cyclists. Great video! Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    City planning has a huge impact on the mass appeal of bike transport. The Dutch have it, and Portland has it, as well as a lot of other urban American cities.

I live in a suburb, and for me it is not practical to use a bike for my primary transport. Everything is spread out and separate. There are no bike lanes here like city streets. And unlike city streets, avg car speed is 50+ on the main roads to travel to and from office parks, shopping centers, residential areas etc.

My suburb claims to be "bike friendly" but really their focus is all on recreational biking with paths through greenways and meadows and whatnot. My town has ~130k inhabitants, and I see maybe 5 people bike commuting a day.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by fux
    Since when did the Dutch live in Denmark?

The Netherlands, Scandanavia... it's all the same. The Dutch get bonus points for all of the extra letters they have in their words though.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    What, no immigrants in Denmark?

The bike system in Amsterdam is very talked up over here in Yankeeville, now we get a peek at biking in Copenhagen. Is it like that all around the Baltic?
    Recalculating....

fux
    Scooterist
    Allthough I dont live in the Baltic, the best place I have been for commuter cyclists is Denmark, without a dought.

Norway is waay behind the Danish.

I know a fella that drove a bus in Denmark for a couple of years and said it was a nightmare turning right because cyclists had a tendancy to sit in the blind spot at the worst possable times. He is also a cycle enthusiast and says he could have turned into a murderer at the blink of an eyelid.

fux
    Scooterist
    This is realy cool.

It says... " Hello cyclist. rest your foot here and thank you because you cycle in town"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    A lot of really cool videos in that link!

Members who have read this thread: 0