Home brew studed and tubless- Mtbr.com
    blet drive

Home brew studed and tubless

Has any one made there own studed tiers and tried running them tubless with stand selant ?😁
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That just sounds epic stupid, especially if you mean also homebrow tubeless, aka ghetto tubeless. Ghetto tubeless is dicy enough as it is. But hey if your cheap, dumb and enjoy wasting your time, go ahead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...ss-747736.html

I found this a while back. I made one studded tire so far for my mountain bike but don't expect to need them anytime soon.

mtbr member
    I've seen lots of threads about DIY studs. To me, it's never seemed like it was worth the effort, but lots of people have done it successfully. Here's one example:

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-t...es-666389.html

If you google it, you'll find lots more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengesch View Post
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...ss-747736.html

I found this a while back. I made one studded tire so far for my mountain bike but don't expect to need them anytime soon.
    Yeah, that was my old thread from a few years back when it was tough to find studded 29er tires.

The tubeless part worked just fine. The only problem was that the studs wore down too fast.

But that was also our freaky non-winter, where I was basically riding on bare pavement for all of november and december. In a normal year with actual snow on the ground I like to think that they would have lasted a bit longer.

This is the most important part:

A new #6 3/8" screw on the left
    A typical screw from the front tire in the middle
    A typical screw from the rear tire on the right

That's after 2 months of use.

blet drive
    Ya I was thinking stans sealant and some home brew studs as I have lots of tiers kicking around
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Moderator Moderator
    If it works it could eliminate the Achilles heel I always had with DIY studded. Eventually, despite tire liners, rubber cement. etc, over the course of the winter the back flange of the studs would scrape against the tube enough to cause a flat...and I am pretty intolerant of any midwinter flat, and even more so if trying to get to work on time. They also were heavier than the commercial studded that became available. But they worked fantastic grip-wise, and were a great way to reuse older knobbies. My studs did not wear out because they were made for cars (the smallest size a tire shop had to sell me); I had to drill holes through the knobs and push the stud thru with vice grips from the inside until the flange rested against the inside of the tire. It was slow going because I wanted them snug.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Not tubeless, but...

I used self drilling screws (like those in newfangled's post) and covered the screw heads with a 2" wide strip of adhesive-backed closed-cell polyethylene foam. This provided enough of a barrier between the screw heads and the tube to prevent wear-through. Add a layer of duct-tape on top for even more protection.

JMJ

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I thought I might make some back in 2005/6 but then I discovered Nokians.

To do it right you can get a stud gun and carbide tipped studs, then drill holes in the knobs that only go half way through then insert the studs.

Should work fine and if a bike shop had the set up they might even be able to make a nickel.

If you dont have the money for a set of studs you need to focus on earning more money rather than screwing around in the basement.

mtbr member
    ^ there's still the genuine problem that the manufacturers are slow. For anyone running 650B I think the choices of commercial studded tires are all pretty crappy. And for 29+ there are no choices at all (which is too bad, since I'm more interested in that than a fatbike).

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You can get 5-10 years out of a set of studded tires, so for $ 45-70 , what are you trying to save?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    @Leeboh:
    Hey, leave the idiots alone! We need something to amuse ourselves with.

Alot of people have nothing to better than waste their time and tinker. I look at alot of the "homebrew studded" people cite here as a "success story" the cheap screws they use protrude way too much from the tire surface compared to real commercial studded tires! I cannot imagine using such a kludge, especially when I imagine many of the hopeless tinkerers actually have the cash to buy real studded tires... But some people actually are trying to purposely throw away their time by undertaking that endeavor, anyway.