Holy smokes it was cold this morning!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Holy smokes it was cold this morning!!

28* when I left the house this morning and my coldest commute yet. It's definitely time to invest in some dedicated winter clothing. I wore everything I own, long sleeve base layer, t-shirt, arm warmers, lightweight shell, for the bottoms, baggy shorts, knee warmers, and wool socks, for the hands, mountain gloves with a cheap outer glove and a beanie on the head. Good thing the kid is getting me gloves and a bacalava for my birthday!! My question is this... my lil guy got REALLY cold and I'd like to ride in some type of "regular" pants (not tights). What do you use? I'm thinking that I might be able to ride down into the mid-teens with the right gear and be fairly comfortable. Fun stuff!!! Ride on, ride safe.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I ride with one layer of tights, tee shirt, two jackets, gloves, and my helmet covers my ears down to about -9C....

I think what you are missing for the tights or anything else, in the cold the front has to be windproof....

my tights are wind proof and lined on the front, lycra on the back...my jackets are windproof front and a lycra rear panel...

Forget baggies on the outside, just add a pair of lycra shorts on the inside and you will be really warm...

Jeans (not windproof) = frozen dick...
    Fleece snow pants (not windproof)=frozen dick.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Long underwear under windpants or regular pants

Did I catch a niner+?
    I wear:

Cannondale Alpaca hat (when it's really cold)
    Helly Hansen Base Layer Long Sleeve Spandex
    Fox Attack Short Sleeve Spandex
    Starter Spandex Cold Gear Jacket Polyester/Spandex
    Pearl Izumi Cold Liner Spandex
    Pearl Izumi Full Finger Gloves

Bottom
    Starter Base Layer Pants Spandex
    Pricepoint Grease Monkey Shorts (heavy and thick)

As for shoes I use platform pedals so I can change shoes accordingly. Also the Starter stuff works great and can be had for $10 to $12 at Walmart. What will REALLY help is fenders, this stops a lot of snow and rain shooting back at you which gets you wet and cold. If you want to wear jeans while riding I suggest at least wearing spandex pants underneath them this will keep you warm and somewhat dry. I am not someone who likes to wear just spandex and nothing else, I like to leave something to the imagination. Most as it gets cold just wear spandex pants with heavier shorts over.

pink

Bedwards Of The West
    There is a winter clothing thread going...you should read some of the gear suggestions in there.
    For pants below 20* or so, I either wear shorts/leg warmers or tights, with rain pants over the top. Nothing blocks the wind like rain pants. I have a pair of Columbia rain pants and a pair of Bellweather 'aqua no' rain pants. With a decent insulation layer underneath, all you have to do is stop the wind and you're golden.

A really expensive softshell jacket is probably the best purchase I have ever made in terms of winter cycling gear though. Awesome.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Lycra, not spandex. Cyclists wear lycra!

Members who have read this thread: 0