Hit by a truck...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,346

    Hit by a truck...

    Not a good start to the day...I entered a crosswalk in front of a truck...I had a walk symbol but he turned right into me...a small bruise on my leg but otherwise I am okay. I had my wife bring a spare wheel set to the site and managed to finish the commute. Very lucky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hit by a truck...-img00135.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    you are lucky


    What will you do to prevent a similar occurance

  3. #3
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    you are lucky


    What will you do to prevent a similar occurance
    Good question. My normal practice is that unless I get a wave from a driver in the right-hand lane, I assume that he is planning to turn right and doesn't see me (eye contact isn't good enough, since you can never be sure that the driver is looking at you and not the ice cream truck across the street.) If I don't get a wave, I either stop or go behind the first vehicle. I was in a hurry this morning and instead of my normal practice, I slowed down and gave the driver a bit of extra room.--it wasn't enough. The lesson is always assume that they don't see you and act accordingly. The fact that the driver is in the wrong does you no good if you're dead.
    Last edited by Lars_D; 10-12-2012 at 01:17 PM.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Good question. My normal practice is that unless I get a wave from a driver in the right-hand lane, I assume that he is planning to turn right and doesn't see me (eye contact isn't good enough, since you can never be sure that the driver is looking at you and not the ice cream truck across the street.) If I don't get a wave, I either stop or go behind the first vehicle. I was in a hurry this morning and instead of my normal practice, I slowed down and gave the driver a bit of extra room.--it wasn't enough. The lesson is always assume that they don't see you and act accordingly. The fact that the driver is in the wrong does you no good if your dead.
    good analysis

  5. #5
    Wierdo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,025
    Yikes, glad that you are OK!

    Sidewalks are dangerous places for bicycles.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: junior1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,001
    Thank God you got out with just bruises! Let me guess, the driver said something like "Oh wow, I never even saw you!"
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726
    Riding off a sidewalk into traffic lanes can be a weird one, drivers don't expect a "vehicle" to do that, I don't mean to infer that "You were riding on the side walk and that is wrong" as I ride my bike wherever I feel is the safest place and sometimes that is at slow speed on the sidewalk.

    Bottom line, I don't want to follow the rules and get hit by a car, at that point it doesn't matter that I was "right", I'd rather disobey the rules and not get hit by a car. Flame suit on!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: junior1210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,001
    ^^^^ +1 My dad kept repeating to me when learning to drive "It doesn't matter if you have the right of way, trains and semis follow the Laws of Physics! In case of a tie you will lose *&%^&*, so keep your eyes open!"
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

  9. #9
    miwuksurfer
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    and managed to finish the commute.
    This is style.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    18
    Glad it wasnt worse buddy

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,394
    Glad it was you are unscathed. Let's raise a toast to spouses who have bailed us out! Safety fast. It seems like when we are in the biggest hurry we get these sorts of delays. I am amazed that people who are so impatient to get around me have had the time to stop and yell at me when I saluted them.

    BrianMc

  12. #12
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Thank God you got out with just bruises! Let me guess, the driver said something like "Oh wow, I never even saw you!"
    It's funny, but he actually admitted that he'd seen me coming, but he forgot I was there when he made the turn.

  13. #13
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,288
    How's the wheel going to hold up? And I hope you're done riding on the sidewalk. It's safer to take a lane.

  14. #14
    M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    8,366
    It’s always the f*ckers with the tinted windows… from my experience, that is. Glad you’re OK.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GiantMountainTroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    So any police report or sh*t like that? BTW glad you are ok.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

    Giant Faith

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jackbombay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    And I hope you're done riding on the sidewalk. It's safer to take a lane.
    How is it safer to mingle with cars as opposed to riding where cars almost never go?

    Its certainly more courteous to stay off the sidewalk, but I don't see how it is safer.

    The one time I got hit by a car I was obeying all traffic laws and in a lane, while I have never been hit by a car on the sidewalk, fwiw.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,394
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    How is it safer to mingle with cars as opposed to riding where cars almost never go? It's certainly more courteous to stay off the sidewalk, but I don't see how it is safer. The one time I got hit by a car I was obeying all traffic laws and in a lane, while I have never been hit by a car on the sidewalk, fwiw.
    It depends on the sidewalk. Some in new developments alongside parkways are rarely walked with few intersections, buildings, or drives. Others have buildings, trees, and signs hiding you from drivers and vice versa, plus intersections, making riding them a case of Russian Roulette collision-wise. There was long thread discussing this in this thread. It's a decent read for those wishing to see pros/coms. Bottom line: it depends.

    BrianMc

  18. #18
    Human Test Subject
    Reputation: Volsung's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,288
    Wow, anonymously de-repped by pointing out that it's dangerous to ride on the sidewalk. I guess that's misleading. No you usually aren't hit by a car riding on the sidewalk. You're more apt to get hit when crossing an intersection though.

    Here's a good site which I consider a must-read (and maybe stickied!) Bicydle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars

    It's number 3 on the list. Here's a copy and paste.

    The Crosswalk Slam
    You're riding on the sidewalk, you cross the street at a crosswalk, and a car makes a right turn, right into you. Drivers aren't expecting bikes in the crosswalk, and it's hard for them to see you because of the nature of turning from one street to another, so it's very easy for you to get hit this way. In fact, this collision is so common we've lost track of the number of people who've told us they were hit this way, such as Ray John Ray. One study showed that sidewalk-riding was twice as dangerous as road riding, and another study said it's even more dangerous than that.

    How to avoid this collision:

    1. Get a headlight. If you're riding at night, a headlight is absolutely essential. It's required by law, anyway.

    2. Slow down. Slow down enough that you're able to stop completely if necessary.

    3. Don't ride on the sidewalk in the first place. Crossing between sidewalks is a fairly dangerous maneuver. If you do it on the left-hand side of the street, you risk getting slammed as per the diagram. If you do it on the right-hand side of the street, you risk getting slammed by a car behind you that's turning right. Sidewalk riding also makes you vulnerable to cars pulling out of parking lots or driveways. And you're threatening to pedestrians on the sidewalk, who could get hurt if you hit them. These kinds of accidents are hard to avoid, which is a compelling reason to not ride on the sidewalk in the first place. In addition, riding on the sidewalk is illegal in some places.

    Some special sidewalks are safe to ride on. If the sidewalk is really long (no need to frequently cross streets), and free of driveways and peds, then there's little risk to you and others. Just make sure when you do cross a street or driveway that you slow down considerably and that you check the traffic in all directions, especially behind you if you're riding with the flow of traffic.

  19. #19
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Wow, anonymously de-repped by pointing out that it's dangerous to ride on the sidewalk. I guess that's misleading. No you usually aren't hit by a car riding on the sidewalk. You're more apt to get hit when crossing an intersection though.

    Here's a good site which I consider a must-read (and maybe stickied!) Bicydle Safety: How to Not Get Hit by Cars

    It's number 3 on the list. Here's a copy and paste.
    Hey guys, let's not have this argument--I gave you guys both some positive rep to lightening things up.

    Where you ride is a complex issue and VERY situation specific. Let's instead focus on being as safe as possible where ever you ride. Until today I had eight years of safe year-round commuting in Anchorage, Alaska. I have always very carefully chosen where I ride based on my safety and the safety of others. I think I had some good pointers in my second post on how to minimize the risk of crossing intersections--pointers that, if I'd followed, would have completely avoided the accident.
    Last edited by Lars_D; 10-15-2012 at 05:11 AM.

  20. #20
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    It’s always the f*ckers with the tinted windows… from my experience, that is. Glad you’re OK.

    Not sure if it's because he had tinted windows; but, trucks drivers are way more dangerous to others than any other vehicle drivers.
    Last edited by Lars_D; 10-12-2012 at 10:09 PM.

  21. #21
    Anchorage, AK
    Reputation: Lars_D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,346
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Glad it was you are unscathed. Let's raise a toast to spouses who have bailed us out! Safety fast. It seems like when we are in the biggest hurry we get these sorts of delays...

    BrianMc

    Good points, Brian.

  22. #22
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    6,223
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    This is style.
    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by ziax01 View Post
    Where you ride is a complex issue and VERY situation specific. Let's instead focus on being as safe as possible where ever you ride.
    Here, here!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.