Hit and run foiled by bus driver- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Hit and run foiled by bus driver

Thank goodness for good people.

weirdo
    Way to go, busdriver! And the guy who parked the jerk in from behind, too!
    Man, that sure was a hit. It`s surprising to see the rider on his feet right after.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So, the car that hit the cyclist is the one overtaking at 0:27?

Moderator Moderator
    Very keen observation and quick reactions by the bus driver. Hope the rider is feeling OK and gets a brandy new bike.

mtbr member
    I don't understand the slow responses of many drivers to get in the left lane. I guess they are not recognizing a cyclist and how fast their closing speed is as soon as they should.

One thing is unclear because of change of view. Am I correct that driver of the black car pulls left speeds to pass the white car and bus, the bus must have moved left to avoid the cyclist, apparently POing the driver of the black car, and so he blasts right with line of sight obscured by the bus and hit the cyclist? If so, the bus blocked his view from the moment he got on the bridge and have had no idea of what was there, but generally big trucks and busses change lanes like that for very good reasons. It also explains that the bus driver had to get left ahead of him, so saw him go right, the collision, and subsequent leaving the scene. The bus was back in the right lane when the driver decided to skip.

A cyclist was killed in Kentucky in a similar 3 lane situation, when an impatient driver decided to hustle in the right lane by a semi, not realizing that the truck driver was passing a cyclist.

There is no escape route for a cyclist on that bridge. But three rivers and bridges make options pretty darn slim, I bet. Might be a case for walking the bike across.

BrianMc

weirdo
    I dunno what happened. I watched it several times, but it`s hard to follow the action and watch the two clocks simultaneously, then try to piece it all back together in correct time sequence. I`m sure you`ve already noticed that, though. Yeah, it does look like the same rider was nearly taken out a lot of times before somebody finally succeeded. On my initial viewing, when I saw that first truck (van?) with the trailer, I thought that was going to be the culprit. One thing for sure- I`m glad I don`t have to ride that bridge.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    I don't understand the slow responses of many drivers to get in the left lane. I guess they are not recognizing a cyclist and how fast their closing speed is as soon as they should.
    Perfectly understandable to me. Drivers are not really expecting stopped or exceedingly slow objects on a highway bridge like that. The significant difference in speed between the cars and the cyclist brings a lot of risk.

Unfortunately, that bridge crossing is an example of how highway design does not always take into account what the law allows. I imagine the law allows for the cyclist to ride across. In an ideal world, the highway designers would factor that into their design for the bridge, but they apparently did not bother to do that. Pedestrians are accounted for, but cyclists and moped riders are left exposed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am assuming that the signs at the end of the video are in reference to that bridge. Not sure though.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

banned
    Nov 2011
    Major respect to the bus driver. That was really cool of him. That hit and run driver should get violated in jail.

One thing I don't understand is why do people say it is safer to cycle in the middle of the lane rather than to the side of it? I rarely ride my bike on the street, but when I do I just ride on the sidewalk. I simply don't feel safe riding on the street knowing there are a lot of idiots on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    Perfectly understandable to me. Drivers are not really expecting stopped or exceedingly slow objects on a highway bridge like that. The significant difference in speed between the cars and the cyclist brings a lot of risk.
    I agree it is April and drivers have become unused to cyclists in Pennsylvania over the winter. My actual comment is that I see a general trend of drivers not looking far enough ahead in general to properly exercise defensive driving. So I see it all the time but I don't find it understandable. Warnings go of for me when I see something unusual. A cyclist in April on that bridge qualifies as does a sudden lane change by a bus. I found that daytime bright taillights got their attention in a more timely manner.

BrianMc

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Major respect to the bus driver.
    I agree. That bus driver was on the ball that day. Good on him. It is amazingly lame for someone to hit another person and just drive away. It is inexcusable. The bus driver did good that day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Major respect to the bus driver. That was really cool of him. That hit and run driver should get violated in jail.

One thing I don't understand is why do people say it is safer to cycle in the middle of the lane rather than to the side of it? I rarely ride my bike on the street, but when I do I just ride on the sidewalk. I simply don't feel safe riding on the street knowing there are a lot of idiots on the road.
    When the lane is too narrow for a bike and a car to ride side by side, you have to take the whole lane or somebody will try to squeeze by anyway.

Riding on the sidewalk is actually the most dangerous place. Negotiating an intersection is the most dangerous time, and if you are on the sidewalk you are coming into every intersection from a spot where cars just don't expect anything to be coming from. Also, on the sidewalk, you have to negotiate every single driveway crossing, which, again, cars are not looking on the sidewalk for anything coming at faster than walking speed.

Ride in the street, in the direction of traffic. Stay right when it is safe for cars to pass. Take the lane if it isn't. At intersections, or if you see someone coming out of a driveway or side street, move out into the lane where a driver looking for cars will see you. Follow the rules of the road, just like you were a car. Light yourself up like a christmas tree at night.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Maynard View Post
    Light yourself up like a christmas tree at night.
    I prefer to light myself up like a UFO.

kudos to that bus driver, agreed. not sure of the speed limit on the bridge, but it didn't appear to be higher than 40, so I wouldn't call it a "highway" bridge necessarily. still wouldn't make me comfortable riding on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I prefer to light myself up like a UFO.
    But those UFO lights are expensive. Christmas tree lights go on sale every January.

mtbr member
    Sucks he got hit, but move the hell over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iSlowpoke View Post
    Really?

mtbr member
    Wouldn't have helped in this case and, (trust me on this), it encourages them to come so close that a sideswipe is just a matter of time. You are treated like an orange construction barrel, not a living person.

BrianMc

since 4/10/2009
    perfectly legal in a majority of places, and looks to have been a perfectly reasonable option in this situation. moving far to the right would have pinned him against the high concrete barrier, therefore endangering him further.

driver was an idiot not paying attention and likely would have hit him regardless of what he was doing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Must be an angry driver trolling cyclist forums. Don't understand this ignorance otherwise.

Look at that lane! Very dangerous to ride on the right there. Some bridges are just that way. Drivers could just stay calm and change lanes around the cyclist and it won't affect their day one bit...
    Everyone gets to live.

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Congrats to the bus driver btw. Hero for the day! Totally awesome move.

Amazing how instinctively that driver fled, he/she is a criminal in other areas of life as well for sure.

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was only a few blocks from accident -- didn't see it though... To sum it up, 17-old female driver struck a local bike instructor and safety advocate for riders. Post count isn't high enough to post the link from our local paper. So, I copy and pasted it below.

------

By Tracy Jordan, Of The Morning Call
    10:35 p.m. EDT, April 4, 2012

One of the Lehigh Valley's leading bicycling safety advocates became the region's first victim under a new law meant to protect cyclists from passing vehicles when a car hit him from behind Monday on the Fahy Bridge in Bethlehem.

The law allows motorists to drive over double yellow lines when passing cyclists, but it requires drivers to give four-feet clearance. The law went into effect at 12:01 a.m. Monday. About 15 hours later, a car operated by a 17-year-old Bethlehem driver drove into Frank Pavlick as he was pedaling north on the Fahy Bridge on S. New Street.

Pavlick, manager of the Coalition for Appropriate Transportation's Bethlehem Bicycle Cooperative, survived the impact with some bruises and a damaged bicycle.

On Dec. 4 in a similar accident on the bridge, 53-year-old Patrick Ytsma, who was well-known locally for his bicycle safety advocacy, was hit by a southbound car and died a few days later

The driver in the fatal accident, a 79-year-old Center Valley woman, pleaded guilty last month to careless driving and agreed to pay a $500 fine and forfeit her license for six months.

The new law has been criticized for being difficult to enforce because of the subjectivity of the four-foot distance, but Bethlehem police Commissioner Jason Schiffer said it can be clearly applied to the accident involving Pavlick.

"If there's an impact between the car and cyclist, we can say without a doubt there was no four-foot room given," Schiffer said. "They're providing more protection for cyclists, and we're certainly going to use that section for this instance."

The offense is a summary traffic violation, but the driver is also being charged with a more serious misdemeanor for allegedly attempting to flee the accident after hitting Pavlick.

A bus driver for the Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority maneuvered across the two northbound lanes of the bridge to block the car from exiting the bridge, and the driver of another car pulled up to prevent him from backing up.

Schiffer said he intends to recognize the two drivers at a news conference Thursday for taking quick and decisive action to assist police. Schiffer said he also plans to play a surveillance video that shows the driver hit the bicyclist while trying to drive around the LANTA bus.

Although the state narrowed the northbound lanes of the bridge last fall when it added a temporary walkway after the original walkway was closed for safety reasons, Schiffer and bicycle advocates don't believe the four-lane bridge is inherently unsafe.

Steve Schmitt, head of the Coalition for Appropriate Transportation, said the biggest hurdle is educating drivers about bicycle laws.

"The proper place for me to be was in the middle of the right lane, and from what I get from the police that's captured very carefully on video," Pavlick said. "This guy who hit me is going to get educated. But he also needs to be made into an example. Other people need to know."

Since Ytsma's death in December, Schmitt said his organization has been working with the city on a plan to add signs and road markings to the bridge to remind motorists to share the road.

Schmitt said in both accidents the bicycle riders were riding in the traffic lane as the law allows, but the motorists apparently did not see them or were driving too fast to stop.

"This is the second Lehigh Valley expert cyclist hit from behind," Schmitt said. "What we need to do is keep motorists from pretending that bridge is a NASCAR raceway."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the post eckwrath. Very informative.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

since 4/10/2009
    thanks for the extra background on this.

so I take it that the markings and such shown at the end of the vid are not actually present on this bridge? that's a bummer, but at least they're working to put those markings there in the future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    "One of the Lehigh Valley's leading bicycling safety advocates became the region's first victim under a new law meant to protect cyclists from passing vehicles when a car hit him from behind Monday on the Fahy Bridge in Bethlehem.

The law allows motorists to drive over double yellow lines when passing cyclists, but it requires drivers to give four-feet clearance. The law went into effect at 12:01 a.m. Monday. About 15 hours later, a car operated by a 17-year-old Bethlehem driver drove into Frank Pavlick as he was pedaling north on the Fahy Bridge on S. New Street."

im confused, i dont see a double yellow line. just some jerk trying to save 15 seconds on his commute.

"The driver in the fatal accident, a 79-year-old Center Valley woman, pleaded guilty last month to careless driving and agreed to pay a $500 fine and forfeit her license for six months." ..........

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    "One of the Lehigh Valley's leading bicycling safety advocates became the region's first victim under a new law meant to protect cyclists from passing vehicles when a car hit him from behind Monday on the Fahy Bridge in Bethlehem.

The law allows motorists to drive over double yellow lines when passing cyclists, but it requires drivers to give four-feet clearance. The law went into effect at 12:01 a.m. Monday. About 15 hours later, a car operated by a 17-year-old Bethlehem driver drove into Frank Pavlick as he was pedaling north on the Fahy Bridge on S. New Street."

im confused, i dont see a double yellow line. just some jerk trying to save 15 seconds on his commute.

"The driver in the fatal accident, a 79-year-old Center Valley woman, pleaded guilty last month to careless driving and agreed to pay a $500 fine and forfeit her license for six months." ..........
    The relevant portion of the post, which you omitted, is that the same law that allows people to cross double yellow to pass a bicycle also creates a 4ft law. TX has a 3ft law, IIRC, and I absolutely like how that results in space around me when I am on the roads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i read it as requires 4ft while crossing a double yellow line. my bad. guess i should read the actual law.

weirdo
    Muchos thank yous, Eckwrath.

Four feet !?! Since we got the three foot rule last year I`ve said that it`s a nice gesture, though nearly impossible to enforce. But like the commisioner here said, an impact makes it pretty clear that there was less room given than the law calls for. If it gives a little bit more ammo to prosecute, that`s worth something.

And I`m hesitant to mention it, but the fact that both victims were saftey gurus doesn`t make me very comfy.

Edited for typos.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 04-09-2012 at 04:14 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    And I`m hesitant to mention it, but the fact that both victims were saftey gurus doesn`t make me very comfy.
    Indeed. I won't be riding around Lehigh, PA anytime soon, that's for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0