• 08-17-2016
    JNKER
    Hilly pavement only tire sizing
    Hi gang-

It's been done to death, yes, but I'm going to get really specific. I need a tire to play around town and commute with on my Ogre. No off-road tread is necessary. As of now, this bike will be on dirt less than 10% of my time. I also have a lot of elevation gain.

Here's what I have:
    Velo Orange Escapade rims 700c
    rim inside: 21mm
    rim outside: 27.7mm

I'm not going tubeless because these seem like a PITA to convert.

What do you ride? Or should I say what *size* do you ride?
  • 08-17-2016
    TenSpeed
    Do you want faster or plusher? I have been really happy with my Continental City Ride II's that I have on my SS MTB and my CX bike. Offers a smooth somewhat fast ride, has some flat protection, has a reflective sidewall for night rides, and best of all - $25 each from my LBS. For that money, I gave them a shot. Liked them so much that I picked up a second pair for the other bike.
  • 08-17-2016
    JNKER
    Great. Thanks. Do you ride the 37mm or 42mm?
  • 08-17-2016
    I like the Club Roost Terra for mostly pavement commuting. They can still handle gravel, but they're fast enough to ride paved centuries or use as commuters.
  • 08-18-2016
    leeboh
    2" tires work for me.
  • 08-18-2016
    SlipSpace
    Marathon Plus 28mm on my commuter. Roll pretty well, good puncture resistance, cope with my 220lbs and one or two loaded panniers, they are a pita to fit though.
  • 08-18-2016
    JNKER
    OK. Thanks.
  • 08-22-2016
    jbandt
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JNKER View Post
    Hi gang-

It's been done to death, yes, but I'm going to get really specific. I need a tire to play around town and commute with on my Ogre. No off-road tread is necessary. As of now, this bike will be on dirt less than 10% of my time. I also have a lot of elevation gain.

Here's what I have:
    Velo Orange Escapade rims 700c
    rim inside: 21mm
    rim outside: 27.7mm

I'm not going tubeless because these seem like a PITA to convert.

What do you ride? Or should I say what *size* do you ride?

I'm in a similar boat, but no hills here. Just got a Fargo to use mostly for commuting. I have some vittoria randonneur in 35 mm arriving today that will be my commute tire. I liked the zaffiro's that were on my last bike so I'm giving these a shot. Not too wide, not too narrow.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk