High Volume 26" Slicks- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

High Volume 26" Slicks

Looking for something similar to the Bontrager Hank, but cheaper.

I love the Hanks due the completely smooth tires with reinforced shoulders. Plus they look darn cool.

However, they are kinda pricey and I can only find them on the Trek website for $36.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Innova Swiftor: http://www.bicycletires.com/piksct/i...ty_tire/pp.htm - these come in 26"x2"

Maxxis Hookworm: http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Hookworm.aspx - comes in 26"x2.1" as well as 26"x2.5"
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    don't know if any are cheaper, but this is the list I have gathered for larger volume slickish tires.

schwalbe super moto, crazy bob, tabletop
    maxxis holy roller
    kenda k-rad, kiniption
    halo twin rail
    michelin pilot sport - supposed to come in 2.3 but I haven't seen them anywhere.
    geax tatoo

Hairy man
    I've got some Cheng Shin cruiser tires that are 26x2.0. They're heavy as hell, but they're durable and smooth.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They're on the Trek site for $27...maybe they dropped the price since the last time you checked? http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?...&bShopOnline=1

Anyway, can you comment on the durability of the Hanks? Thinking of putting them on my commuter.

local trails rider
    My Hanks have been doing OK for about a year now. The tread has some small slashes from the rock splinters "they" spread on the paved paths to keep pedestrians on their feet in winter...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

My Brain Hurts!
    Kenda makes a nice one in their Kwest line. It takes 100 psi and dimensions are 26x1.50 annd MSRP is listed at 24.99 on Kendas site... I am running the same tire on my commuter but the 65 psi models....

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicy...ter/kwest.aspx
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Why do you want high volume?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Why do you want high volume?
    Easier to hear over the drone of traffic.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    specialized hemisphere $24, not so much slick but have bigger size 2.0 that rolls pretty decent for that size and have a hell of a sidewall for such a cheap tire

dirtbag
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGumby
    Kenda makes a nice one in their Kwest line. It takes 100 psi and dimensions are 26x1.50 annd MSRP is listed at 24.99 on Kendas site... I am running the same tire on my commuter but the 65 psi models....

http://www.kendausa.com/en/home/bicy...ter/kwest.aspx

OP was looking for high volume not high pressure.

That said, I have the Kenda Kwicks running them at the recommened 100psi. They roll fast but offer up a harsh ride.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love my Big Apples! I have the Bontrager Evo's on my urban bike, and they are also very nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Halo Twin Rails all the way.

Put some on my bike a couple of weeks ago and i'm very impressed with them, they are 2.2's and look the mutts nuts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaTwoSugars
    Halo Twin Rails all the way.

Put some on my bike a couple of weeks ago and i'm very impressed with them, they are 2.2's and look the mutts nuts.
    I'm thinking of getting some for my 29er for campus use. Are they any good on short off-pavement excursions? I like to take shortcuts between classes sometimes lol.

I'm using 65psi Kenda Kwests on my commuter right now, 26x2.1. I ride them 20 miles a day at around 60psi and they roll pretty nicely. Used them around campus last year, with shortcuts through the woods and occasional stairway huckage (not big hucks, maybe 3 steps max lol) No punctures. Tons of grip on pavement, too.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion
    I love my Big Apples!
    I thought I did, but then I just upgraded (a bit more than one day ago) to Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" tires. WHOA—what a difference! The Big Apples were noisy and seemed to submarine a bit through tight corners. The Hookworms just dig in and go with added confidence.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker
    I thought I did, but then I just upgraded (a bit more than one day ago) to Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" tires. WHOA—what a difference! The Big Apples were noisy and seemed to submarine a bit through tight corners. The Hookworms just dig in and go with added confidence.
    Hookworms are nice! Kinda heavy tho no? Especially compared to BA (liteskins).

mtbr member
    Hookworms are about 1250 grams each. They roll great but they are heavy. I ran them but disliked the weight so much I swapped them out. They did well on the road and surprisingly well off road as well. The weight is a bit much though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    I'm thinking of getting some for my 29er for campus use. Are they any good on short off-pavement excursions? I like to take shortcuts between classes sometimes lol.

I'm using 65psi Kenda Kwests on my commuter right now, 26x2.1. I ride them 20 miles a day at around 60psi and they roll pretty nicely. Used them around campus last year, with shortcuts through the woods and occasional stairway huckage (not big hucks, maybe 3 steps max lol) No punctures. Tons of grip on pavement, too.
    Sorry i've taken so long to reply mate, been busy with work.

They are really good all round tyres; they would only be limited in really muddy conditions so they would be fine short off pavement trips.

I've been running them at 65psi and they roll really nicely also they have built in puncture protection.

All in all i think they are damn fine tyres, well worth trying as i don't think you'd be dissapointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaTwoSugars
    Sorry i've taken so long to reply mate, been busy with work.

They are really good all round tyres; they would only be limited in really muddy conditions so they would be fine short off pavement trips.

I've been running them at 65psi and they roll really nicely also they have built in puncture protection.

All in all i think they are damn fine tyres, well worth trying as i don't think you'd be dissapointed.
    No worries, thanks for the info. I was debating between those or the Big Apples, but I just like the more aggressive look of the Twin Rails, plus they're essentially oversized BMX tires, so they should be able to put up with some bullsh*t Of course, Schwalbe is no slouch, either, but AAAARRRGGHH can't decide lol. I guess it'll come down to whichever is available for a better deal first.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

Members who have read this thread: 0