Help planning commute- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help planning commute

I put in for a few jobs in Houston, and have some seriously promising aspects. One thing that I'm looking at doing is a multimodal commute from Huntsville into the Greenspoint area of North Houston. Does anyone know of a program or website that would help me map that out? I tried Google Maps, and it would give me bike, or tell me that there was no bus route than ran all the way down there, but wouldn't mix them up.

Thanks!
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".

Moderator Moderator
    I don't know, but maybe try perusing these maps/ask these people??
    City of Houston Bike Maps BikeHouston

guy
    When I'm looking at planning a route in an area I'm not super familiar with, I use Strava's route planner and turn on the global heatmap feature, which shows you the roads that are used the most by Strava users. Gives a feel for what roads are best suited to cycling.

I don't know of any website that combines public transit routes and bike routes into one program. You'll probably have to mix and match from different sources.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I don't know, but maybe try perusing these maps/ask these people??
    City of Houston Bike Maps BikeHouston
    ^That's the ticket or the closest thing to it. Try to ask around for other options. Houston has recently made a big push for bike accessibility but it's geared more towards downtown (and generally inside the loop) while Greenspoint is a ways away. Same issue with the bike share program. Across the city you'll several bayou-side trails that were great for light mountain biking back in the day if a bit circuitous for commuting, particularly in the I-10 / Katy area. Unfortunately as you said Google bike does point to you being a bit out of luck.

Help planning commute-greenspoint.png

If you can manage going car-free on that commute you'd be an inspiration to many.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan-n-Fla View Post
    I put in for a few jobs in Houston, and have some seriously promising aspects. One thing that I'm looking at doing is a multimodal commute from Huntsville into the Greenspoint area of North Houston. Does anyone know of a program or website that would help me map that out? I tried Google Maps, and it would give me bike, or tell me that there was no bus route than ran all the way down there, but wouldn't mix them up.

Thanks!
    Cant help i just use google earth....

In the end however you will have to ride several routes.

As you ride you will have to assess the hazards and benefits....then sit down and mitigate the hazards of each route. Then ride again...

Only after a process like the above should you begin to make route selections.

BTW the process should be an ongoing process with all of one's routes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Some good suggestions above.

I recently moved to a new area and did what I could using Strava/Google Maps. From there I talked to some older fellows who have lived in the area for a while and new of some abandon rail lines and other corridors that were not listed in Strava or mapable with Google - this was a huge help and helped me locate some usable trail that I had no idea was there.

Beyond that, once you've got some options figured out, scout the routes in the car, paying attention to shoulder size/quality, blind corners, where the climbs are, etc.

After that, take a weekend and do some exploratory riding.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

since 4/10/2009
    Local bus system here in Indy has worked with the local bike advocacy group to promote multi-modal use. There's a general transit-oriented organization that will help folks plan a multi-modal commute, also.

I'd look for those sorts of resources in Houston if you can. I've spent a lot of time in Houston, mostly around the medical center, and driving through the city to get there. I wouldn't wish bike commuting on anyone in that city. Possible, but the sheer enormity of the city is just confounding, and it seemed like every surface street I drove was packed with traffic all the time.

mtbr member
    I got it worked out. If I can land the next interview, and am offered a position, I'll have a company vehicle to make that 50 mile drive. I'll still probably park it at my mom's house and ride there, just to get some daily ride time in. Thankful that a 100 mile round trip commute isn't in gonna happen.
    Bourbon: Because no good story ever started with "So, there we were eating salads".