• 09-20-2011
    mikemikemike
    Help - Need to find a helmet for a stubborn old man!
    Help!

Can anyone recommend a bike helmet (or bike-worthy helmet designed for another sport) that does NOT have typical cyclist styling?

My dad is extremely stubborn. He's 70+, and has had two crashes on his commuter bike in the past year. But very old fashioned and refuses to wear a helmet. He won't listen to reason, although I'm doing my best to wear him down he's very slippery so logic isn't working.

I think I could convince him to wear a helmet if it didn't have typical cyclist styling, which he hates.

I'm thinking something maybe with more industrial styling, or something that wouldn't look out of place with a tweed jacket. Horse helmet comes to mind, but that's probably not correct.

Any thoughts would be literally a potential life saver here.

Thanks.
  • 09-21-2011
    Dalton
    Check out the Giro Reverb or maybe one of the Nutcase helmets. Those are not traditionally bike styled, but are made for biking.
  • 09-21-2011
    JAGI410
    I just picked up a Bern Watts EPS helmet for the winter, it's rated for bike use, but meant for snowsports. And looks pretty good. Cheap from altrec.com
  • 09-21-2011
    mtbxplorer
    Climbing helmets are kinda cool and a bit more hardhat-ish looking.
  • 09-21-2011
    saint urho
    I like those Nutcases... gonna check one out for my wife.. she needs a new helmet...
  • 09-21-2011
    mikemikemike
    great suggestions, thanks!
    wish me luck...
  • 09-21-2011
    irrah
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemikemike View Post
    or something that wouldn't look out of place with a tweed jacket.

Thanks.

See this also: Yakkay
  • 09-21-2011
    CommuterBoy
    I use a snowboard helmet in the winter... most have removable ear-warmer pads and aren't terribly hot for all-season use. And they definitely have that 'industrial' look. There are lots of options...mine is a Smith.
  • 09-21-2011
    woodway
    Is he a football fan? A team helmet might do the trick :-)

I commend your efforts - I could not imagine trying to get my dad to wear a helmet. He's an adult and either he is or he isn't and nothing I could say would change his mind.
  • 09-21-2011
    jeffscott
    Harley Hat