Help my find my ideal commuter bike...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Help my find my ideal commuter bike...

I need a bike for a very specific purpose, cycling 12 miles to work on the towpath of a canal. Ideally I'd like a steel frame with a rigid fork, MTB wheels, a relatively high set of flat handlebars and it may as well be singlespeed. Any suggestions?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think Kona still does some bikes that fit that description.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Surly Troll, although it's frame and fork only.
    I have one and it's really sweet.
    I use it as a commuter and it's nice to have rear rack mounts so that I can carry stuff on the bike instead of my back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What's your budget?
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Budget would be up to $1000, don't want to spend a fortune on a bike that gets left at my place of work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Surly Karate Monkey would be a good choice. You could always add gears down the road if you wanted to. Very versatile bike.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

ride the moment
    Just pick the rigid SS MTB you like best for $800, then add some nice commuter tires and a new chainring & cog/freewheel to get your ratio right.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagedude
    Budget would be up to $1000, don't want to spend a fortune on a bike that gets left at my place of work.
    Does that include the cost of accessories such as light, locks, and rack?

Swedetarded
    Look at the Jamis Coda series. I commute on an Elite. They do have, however, 700c wheels, but mine takes my studded Nokian winters, slicks, or CX tires with no problem.

Wanderer
    For $1000 you should be able to find a decent bike on Craigslist easily.

Nothing wrong with a used hardtail or rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I need a bike for a very specific purpose, cycling 12 miles to work on the towpath of a canal. Ideally I'd like a steel frame with a rigid fork, MTB wheels, a relatively high set of flat handlebars and it may as well be singlespeed. Any suggestions?
    I ride the 2009 version of this bike. Handles the dirt paths and canal paths fine, plus it's way fast enough to keep up with most of the roadies in my area.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/....0/3924/36627/
    Looks like a single speed, but it's not. :-)
    Disc brakes to handle wet weather or heavy loads. :-)
    Little bit bigger tires to absorb some of the harsh road conditions. :-)
    Had it for 2 months, 600 miles, with little to complain about. :-)

mtbr member
    I have a Redline Monocaog Flight that meets all those requirements. It's a very sweet and reliable bike as well

jrm
    mtbr member

SS CX bike

with a flat bar. You might consider something features dropouts -or replaceable dropouts that will allow you different drivetrain options. IGH, derailluer ,SS ect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    older steel mountain bikes (like a specialized rockhopper and the ilk) that have horizontal drop-outs + derailer hanger is my weapon of choice. easily runs SS or geared. plus, because you were so thrifty you can still afford to use whatever wheels and accessories you want.

initial investment in a commuter bike is a hard thing to judge. either you buy what a company thinks you need, or buy what somebody tells you you need. I like the rockhopper because it can do what i need. it has mounts for front and rear racks. it has plenty of clearance for whatever tires i run. and they're so easy to find, and cheap, that replacing a problem frame is no problem. if i were buying on a $1000 budget i would want to spend about $200 on a complete bike, tear off anything i wouldn't have installed myself, and build up from there. $800 is a lot of nice panniers, seat, tires, racks, lights, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0