Help me pick a new commuting/touring bar for my 1x1- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me pick a new commuting/touring bar for my 1x1

Hey guys I need some help picking out a new handle bar setup for my 1x1. I use this bike for everything, single track and commuting. I also want to start doing some light touring. I was going to switch the bike over to Salsa Woodchipper bars but I have never had anything other than a regular mountain bike bar. My main concern here is comfort while on the road but I DO want it capable off road.

Right now the brakes are Juicy Ultimates but I have been wanting to change those to BB7s so if the new bar requires a brake lever change that is ok.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

I'm SUCH a square....
    Have you picked out new levers for the BB7's? TRP Carbons are like jewelry! Chain Reaction sells them.

Look at the Jeff Jones Loop H-Bar for something different.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    I have not. I'll look into those though!

Thanks

mtbr member
    After researching a bit more I think I will turn my 1x1 into something monstercross like.

mtbr member
    I picked the Salsa Cowbell bar at 46cm wide. I also got a salsa stem with a little rise to it, the rise is not enough. I did a 40mile ride with this setup and I was uncomfortable to say the least. I really like the position when riding on the hoods and the option to ride on the flat part of the bar. But I am leaning over too far, especially when in the drops. I cant get a stem with a higher rise, would getting a new fork with more steer tube be the ticket?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me pick a new commuting/touring bar for my 1x1-526213_457081930998088_666992770_n.jpg  

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ Sweet!!

I like the cowbell for the shallow drop. If I was going to spend all day in the drops, I'd have that bar I think. I landed on a full on road drop bar, but I set it up with being on the hoods 90% of the time in mind. I use the drops basically as a wind weapon, when necessary. That being said, yes, I basically did what you said and left the steerer tube long enough to make my position on the hoods comfortable. If you have a shorter steerer, the cheaper option is a riser stem, which a lot of the 'dirt drop' guys use, in order to bring the position of the drops up to where you're comfortable there 90% of the time.

You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    ^^ Sweet!!
    If you have a shorter steerer, the cheaper option is a riser stem, which a lot of the 'dirt drop' guys use, in order to bring the position of the drops up to where you're comfortable there 90% of the time.
    I have one. Its a salsa 65/115 degree I think.

Bedwards Of The West
    Huh. Doesn't look that steep in your pic. Maybe a longer steerer tube is your best bet then?
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Huh. Doesn't look that steep in your pic. Maybe a longer steerer tube is your best bet then?
    Here is a better picture of the stem. The reach is good so I think a new fork is the way to go.
    If I cant get this setup to work on my 1x1 I think I am going to sell the frame for a crosscheck.

Your bike looks great btw!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me pick a new commuting/touring bar for my 1x1-img_20120825_095807.jpg  

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    You can buy a steerer tube extender. Can and want to are different things though. It clamps down over the top of the existing tube and gives you an extra 2" IIRC (I feel like there's a dirty joke in here somewhere).

Dimension Threadless Steerer Tube Extender 100040974 at CambriaBike.com
    That is one example of one. There are others that instead insert inside the tube.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    You can buy a steerer tube extender. Can and want to are different things though. It clamps down over the top of the existing tube and gives you an extra 2" IIRC (I feel like there's a dirty joke in here somewhere).

Dimension Threadless Steerer Tube Extender 100040974 at CambriaBike.com
    That is one example of one. There are others that instead insert inside the tube.
    Yeah I really dont like those things. I am going to put my tora on the 1x1 and see if the height helps. If it does Ill order a new fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0