Help finding my perfect commuting frame- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help finding my perfect commuting frame

I'm looking for a new frame for my commuting/errand/rain/winter bike. I understand I probably won't get everything I want, but here's what I'm looking for in relative order of importance:

-700C in a size 52-54 (must have)
    -Fender mounts (must have)
    -Room for at least 32c tires with fenders, preferably wider (must have)
    -Ability to set up geared or SS (Important but not a deal breaker, I'm guessing this will be the toughest on the list)
    -Disc brake mounts (preferable, not that important though)

Let's see some options. I'm not looking to spend a ton. I was thinking maybe a Kona Sutra...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All City Space Horse
    Surly Cross Check
    Surly Troll
    Surly Ogre
    Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    All City Space Horse
    Surly Cross Check
    Surly Troll
    Surly Ogre
    Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross
    Looks like the Cross Check might be the winner. I looked at Surly's website last week but didn't even click on it. I'll keep looking, but that's the front runner. Thanks!

Wierdo
    Dec 2005
    Soma Double Cross DC

mtbr member
    May 2006
    No such thing as perfect...just pluses and minuses....

Commuting is all about everyday and compromises.

since 4/10/2009
    on-one pompetamine

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    salsa casseroll if you can skip the discs.
    v's or maguras are pretty awesome on 32's, no matter the terrain.
    I wanted tighter geo but better brakes and wider tires than my roadie, this was the end result of much grumping.
    Last edited by byknuts; 06-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bianchi san jose has treated me well. not sure if the new frame takes disc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    this looks like a cool bike as well Raleigh Bicycles Furley

Fat-tired Roadie
    Didn't Nashbar have something like that?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I was dead set on the Cross Check, now I'm starting to lean towards the Casseroll. The geometry on the Cross Check seems a little off for me. I have short legs and a long torso. With the 50cm, I would have just about 2" of seatpost showing and a relatively uncomfortable standover. The 46 may actually work, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I would buy a 46cm frame, I know that means very little though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Check out the civia bryant,

mtbr member
    Casseroll's are nice. If you want winter capability and discs, check out the Vaya. You can put skinny studded tires on it. It's going to be a bit "slower" than the Casseroll, but it's a fantastic ride. I rode a Vaya after I bought my Casseroll and caught a case of buyers remorse. But not too bad, Casseroll is still pretty sweet.

since 4/10/2009
    a few words about the pompetamine I mentioned earlier. I did not specify some of the details on it.

I believe the quoted limits on it are 35mm tires with fenders. I have some 38mm Specialized hybrid tires I can fit without fenders. I currently have 32mm tires on with my fenders. Plenty of room.

The frame is disc-ONLY. you don't even have the option to run rim brakes. I have BB7's on it and found the rear caliper to be a tight fit and a bit tricky to adapt. Hydros with smaller calipers would fit much better. the fork requires a centerlock rotor. No way around it. it's a damn tight fit even then. the frame probably has clearance for 6-bolt, so if you paired the frame with a fork from someone else, you could use 6-bolt. I'm finding I like centerlock so not unhappy I went that route.

regarding gears, the frame is built to take an Alfine hub, but you can run a traditional cassette/derailleur setup on it. You just have to buy a generic rear derailleur hanger for track ends. there are a few makes out there, and they all require you use a thru-bolt hub. I think I'm going to do this with mine. it's cheaper than having a new wheel built, and I find that my current SS gearing is not quite low enough for the hills on my commute and too low for the flats. I'd like to use this bike for light touring, so I'm going to go 1x9 or 1x10 on it. the frame does not have a cable stop for a front derailleur. I think there are ways to work around that if you want. IIRC, there are bolt-on cable stops on the market, but there are no cable guides like there are for the rear.

I have fenders AND a rear rack on mine. while the rear disc caliper mounting can be fussy at first, that caliper location allows you to use the eyelets without any problems. a lot of manufacturers are putting the rear disc caliper inside the stays like that for the same reason.

mtbr member
    @NateHawk - check out the older Santa Cruz Chameleon derailleur hanger adapters. They use chainring bolts to clamp to the track ends, might work on your frame.

I'm loving my Soma DoubleCross DC for commuting, light trail, and road riding. Surly also has the Disc Trucker which would be good if discs were a higher priority for you. Salsa Vaya would also be a top choice.

mtbr member
    Dammit. I just had a long post typed and navigated away from the page, when I hit the back button, it was gone. Ugh.

Anyway, I considered all the suggestions, but ended up landing back on the Cross Check. I can easily live without disc brakes and the LBS owner looked at the geometry and felt the 50cm would be good for me. He's done a couple fittings for me on my past road bikes so he knows my fitment well. Also, I love Robin's Egg Blue! I was leaning towards the Casseroll, unfortunately Quality (LBS distributor) now requires a $10,000 buy-in to sell Salsa, so he can't get it. I'm very loyal to this shop, he gives me incredible deals and service. Here's what I'm getting:

50cm Robin's Egg Blue Surly Cross Check
    -Sram Apex drivetrain
    -34/50 crankset
    -12-29 cassette
    -Fulcrum 7 wheels
    -Conti Gatorskins, 700x32
    -Fenders
    -I told the shop owner to use his judgement for the rest of the parts, I trust him. I just specified 42cm shallow drop handlebars and a 110mm stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You won't need a 110mm stem, the top tube will be plenty long. I'd throw on the Salsa Cowbell bars, and get the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes instead of Gatorskins. Don't cheap out on brakes, get some nice Canti's like Tektro CR720 or Avid Ultimates.

Robin's Egg blue is such an awesome color, pictures do it no justice. I think you're gonna be very happy with this bike.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

CheesyRider
    Check out the PAKE C'Mute ...
    Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    You won't need a 110mm stem, the top tube will be plenty long. I'd throw on the Salsa Cowbell bars, and get the Schwalbe Marathon Supremes instead of Gatorskins. Don't cheap out on brakes, get some nice Canti's like Tektro CR720 or Avid Ultimates.

Robin's Egg blue is such an awesome color, pictures do it no justice. I think you're gonna be very happy with this bike.
    A 110mm stem will give me an 8mm shorter reach than on my road bike. That's why I chose that length. Even so, every bike I've ever bought at this shop he's put me on the trainer and done a fitting to get me the right stem length, seat height, seat fore/aft, etc. If 110 ends up being too long, he'll swap it out for me. I also have a spare 100mm at home I could use.

I'll look into the brakes you mentioned, thanks for the suggestions!

mtbr member
    The Raleigh Clubman is getting high marks from real world cyclists/commuters. And as a complete bike it's a solid value IMO.

mtbr member
    Picked up the Cross Check today. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet, probably won't until next week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help finding my perfect commuting frame-surly.jpg  

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    You know ironically most any 29er frame will be able to do what you want. I am currently building an On-One Inbred with the swap-out drop-outs as my commuter bike. The trails that I will be on will be half paved and half dirt so having that ability to run a larger tire will be a nice option. It is going to be setup with a 37c to start with but I don't know what i will end up on.

jrm
    mtbr member

I'll 2nd the

Soma double cross DS and on-one ill pompino and raise you a Singular Kite for good measure. If SWOBO continues the Crosby i'd rec that as well.

i want a Kite

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I love my Redline Conquest Classic...but the All City Space Horse is a sweet machine. Wouldn't mind having one if I could.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Members who have read this thread: 0