Helmet mounted lights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Helmet mounted lights

Just saw Light & Motions new VIS 360 and thought it was a pretty neat little light set.

Output/price aren't all that impressive, but together as a package are very attractive. Not too concerned about the output, as this would just be a supplement to my existing lights.

Does anyone else make something similar around the same price or preferably lower?

mtbr member
    That looks like a pretty nice setup, I might need to get one. L&M makes cutting edge stuff, and I think that's new for this year. You will probably find some cheaper knockoffs next year, but the price seems fairly reasonable to me.

mtbr member
    I agree though that 110 is low, if you need to see where you are going rather than just remain visible. The side lights are a great feature. I may get one and supplement with my 700 lumen Seca light during the darkest months.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, like I said, it would only be a supplement to existing lights. As a commuter package -front, side, rear, 130g - I don't think there is anything that even competes.

Looks like I'll have to get one.

mtbr member
    I ordered one. Review coming in a few weeks.

I love the L&M stuff. I could probably do that and the 120 Lumen Stella on my bars. Last winter I was riding around with the 700 on my bars. Lots of fun, but pretty overkill.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    nice!

mtbr member
    DIY'd this already. Modded Marwi with triple XP-G's and aspheric lenses for one 8 degree and two 10 degree beams. Usually at 500 mA here at 1 A. Helmet moved on bike part way through video to show better. Added Light weight reflectors to helmet now, too, but new wheels have only six each, now:

<embed src="https://img249.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Pcap0001" width="320" height="260" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

Planet Bike Superflashes are quite directional so I made a pivot mount to keep it vertical through a wide range of head angles.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

mtbr member
    Rode with it for the first time today. The whole unit is light enough that I didn't notice it on my helmet. Although not bright, when combined with the 120 lumen L&M light on my bars, the light was at leas adequate. Once we get into the darkest months, I will put my Seca 700 on the bars, and use the flashing mode on the helmet light for extra visibility. This set up will buy me some time though before I need to go with the heavier and larger light. The rear blinky is super bright and visible compared to the Superflash, which I still have mounted on the seat stay.

My only complaint is the mounting system for the rear doesn't seem like the most stable and lacks the ability to adjust up or down. Since the back of the helmet is slanted up, the rear light appears to point too much in the air. However, it looks the same on the picture at the top of this thread, which is from the L&M website, so maybe that is the direction it should face. Either way, it is most certainly visible.

mtbr member
    Call me naive, but I personally don't see the need for so much power when commuting at night. My setup is a CatEye mounted on my bars that is roughly 50 lumens or so, and then I have a Black Diamond head lamp that I velcro to my helmet that is 55 lumens. Add two rear red blinking lights (one on bike, one on helmet) and I'm set.
    The amount of light is quite sufficient for my 5 mile ride home in the darkest of nights, and it's a fairly inexpensive setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boise Jim
    ....I personally don't see the need for so much power when commuting at night. ...a CatEye ..roughly 50 lumens or so, and ..a Black Diamond head lamp ...(on) my helmet that is 55 lumens...two rear red blinking lights (one on bike, one on helmet) and ...The amount of light is quite sufficient for my 5 mile ride home in the darkest of nights, and it's a fairly inexpensive setup.
    Wonderful. Glad that's working for you. I wish I could see well enough and feel safe with your setup, but I can't.

Some of us don't see at night that well any more but are far from hanging up our bikes and going to the retirement home. Some of us have neighbors who ignore weaker headlights (think we are pedestrians or 'don't see us'). Some have roads with frequent unpredictable sticks, stones, pavement issues, dead animals, live aninmals, wet pavement, and/or no street lighting. (You really don't want to ride too close to a skunk before you give it room, or you will regret it.) Some need the power for daytime running lights to get any kind of respect, so the powerful lights for night are a side benefit of daytime lighting Some have very fast downhill runs at 40+ mph where they'd outride lesser lights. Whatever works.

Paranoia and peace of mind are also factors. I personally don't want to find out I did not have enough lights by being run over. Almost 100% of the people here can get drivers licenses. The bottom 10-20% should not be on the road. They frequent the middle of the day and weekends, so commuting time isn't as bad, but I ride those times too. So I overindulge in lights. Drivers have complemented me on them and told me they wished every bike was as well marked Each of us must assess the likeliness of the worst case scenario in our situations and how much we are willing to bet on it.
    Last edited by BrianMc; 10-01-2010 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Call me naive, but I personally don't see the need for so much power when commuting at night. My setup is a CatEye mounted on my bars that is roughly 50 lumens or so, and then I have a Black Diamond head lamp that I velcro to my helmet that is 55 lumens. Add two rear red blinking lights (one on bike, one on helmet) and I'm set.
    The amount of light is quite sufficient for my 5 mile ride home in the darkest of nights, and it's a fairly inexpensive setup.
    My commute is 18 miles through crappy industrial areas and a bit of unlit country road both of which have 55mph traffic flying by my glass and debris strewn, sometimes non-existent bike lane.

So yes, for some of us, there is a need for that much power and every little bit of reflectivity when commuting at night.

mtbr member
    I have about 3 months out of the year that I do the entire 34 mile round trip in the dark. I love having all the light. Cars can see me, and I can go much faster without having to worry about running into road hazards that I wouldn't otherwise be able to see. 700 lumens is total overkill, but otherwise the thing would be sitting in my garage waiting to get out on the dirt maybe once a week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We are all not youand not faced with your exact commute. Embrace that fact.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just got one of these 360's and rather like it. I already had a bar mount to throw out in front of me, and this compliments it well. The light the 360 front throws out is rather tight, and I have it adjusted to hit about 20 feet in front of me (slight downward head position for my normal ride, when I come to a stop it aims mostly straight out). Weight isn't too much to bear, and I like that it rides at the back of the helmet. quick releases work as advertised. I did need to play with the front light placement a bit to find a place where I didn't feel the rubber attachment strap against my head (due to passing through the vents), but there is a lot of pitch adjustment, so it didn't cause any issues.

I do wish it actually came with a wall power unit as opposed to just the usb cable. While it isn't a huge deal, given that it takes multiple hours to fully charge, I would rather just plug it in overnight without a PC. at home it is fine as I have a PC that is usually always on, but for vacationing I would need to pick something up. I would also like an "always on" option for the rear light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    I just got one of these 360's and rather like it. I already had a bar mount to throw out in front of me, and this compliments it well. The light the 360 front throws out is rather tight, and I have it adjusted to hit about 20 feet in front of me (slight downward head position for my normal ride, when I come to a stop it aims mostly straight out). Weight isn't too much to bear, and I like that it rides at the back of the helmet. quick releases work as advertised. I did need to play with the front light placement a bit to find a place where I didn't feel the rubber attachment strap against my head (due to passing through the vents), but there is a lot of pitch adjustment, so it didn't cause any issues.

I do wish it actually came with a wall power unit as opposed to just the usb cable. While it isn't a huge deal, given that it takes multiple hours to fully charge, I would rather just plug it in overnight without a PC. at home it is fine as I have a PC that is usually always on, but for vacationing I would need to pick something up. I would also like an "always on" option for the rear light.
    $3.99 on ebay. I know my droid or blackberry charger works. Just make sure it isn't the older style big usb plug.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wall-AC-USB-Data...item4cf2082914

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah, I guess that is my point though, for $3.99 missing from a $160 product? Just include it. Like I say, not a dealbreaker for me, but out of the box there is no way to charge this without another product.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    ghetto fabricated up some helmet lights for myself... MAN I want the L&M 360 now.

Sorry about the crappy cell pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Helmet mounted lights-1005000850.jpg  

Helmet mounted lights-1005000851.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    REI has their 20% off coupon out right now... me thinks a L&M VIS 360 is in my near future.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Okay, maybe not near future. I just picked one up with my 20% off coupon and my dividend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Okay, maybe not near future. I just picked one up with my 20% off coupon and my dividend.
    You will like it, I think it was one of my better purchases. Getting ready to put it away for the spring/summer, nothing better than riding in the warmth and daylight.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    With my commute, I will be keeping it on the helmet on flashy mode, day and night.

Members who have read this thread: 0