heated gloves and other clothing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

heated gloves and other clothing?

any one try those "weightless" heated glove liners or any other similar product and have any comments to make? i found them for $50 plus the cost of a rechargeable battery pack

Heated Glove Liners

any reviews and suggestions for heated sock vests or pants, or even other gloves? heated gloves and socks ill most def get, but a vest and pants will just be a luxury, heated pants a larger possibility then a vest, anyway just please make some suggestions and comments and reviews for me! thanks!!!
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2002 Raleigh Mountain Scout
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    That wiring system looks annoying. From your waist, up around your neck, then down each arm? I don't think I could deal with that every day. I'd just wear warmer gloves.

I see you live in NJ, seems like overkill to me. Doesn't the radiation coming out of the ground keep you warm?

Bedwards Of The West
    I wear hot pants, so 'heated' pants are really not necessary.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    I pretty much always wear shorts unless I'm riding in the snow. Then I have a pair of spandex or something similar pants. I have an long sleeve under armor shirt that I wear under my riding shirt. That thing is supposed to be good for 30-50 degree's. I use it under my jacket skiing too. Thing works great. As far as gloves go I just wear long fingered gloves and deal with blowing in my hands. I've used the little heat pads that activate when broken open when riding up in the snow in Oregon. Those things were amazing. It was like summer in my shoes.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    May 2006
    KISS dress properly for the weather...

at most take a couple of emergency chemical pack heaters.

People with Reynauds snydrome may be an exception.

Moderator Moderator
    Sounds like a pain to run the wires down your sleeve, and attach 6AA's to your belt or whereever. I don't think you'd want the battery pack/gloves tethered to the bars either. I used to use the warmer packs inside my gloves, but bought pogies last year and no longer need the packs. While I generally dislike disposable products, the packets do work well, best if you put them in your gloves maybe 10 minutes to preheat before you leave. The pogies I bought are from dogwood designs and are sold at https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...5&ProductID=14 the "regulars" are plenty warm for VT. They are designed for MTB bars.

CB, hot pants pic required.

mtbr member
    You can find a pair of gloves that you don't need to heat like that for roughly the same cost without wires or anything silly. I have a pair of gore bike wear gloves that are half lobster half full finger and they keep me warm in the coldest conditions for at least 45 minutes (thats the longest I was ever out in the real cold). They cost me 60 dollars.
    "Most people dislike vanity in others, whatever share they have of it themselves." - Benjamin Franklin

weirdo
    I have electric motorcycle gloves. They aren`t a perfect solution, but they really are nice as long as there`s a (relatively) huge suply of electricity handy. If that ad says how long the 6AAs last, I don`t see it anywhere, but I wouldn`t expect very long. Like most of the others already said, you can do very well with nonelectric clothes, but if you want to give batteries a shot, go for it. It won`t cost much to find out out if it works for you. For an extra boost from time to time, I`d probably opt for chemical heaters.

mtbr member
    i like the chemical heaters, but i dont wanna be buying them every time i go for a hour long bike ride when they last 6+ hours, from what ive read you can buy a rechargeable pack for those gloves, which lasts around 4 hours, i do dress plenty warm already but im looking to loose some bulk

i have a great pair of goretex ski gloves that i wear, they are great for wind water, and cold, but still after a while you will feel the cold, and they, like most gloves are a little too bulky for my liking

and no there is not enough radiation here to keep me warm...
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

mtbr member
    oh and has anyone ever heard of/seen a pair of 6v heated grips that could be hooked up to a hub dynamo? my idea is if i find a pair to wire a wall charger sort of thing to get them heated before you get on the bike so then the dynamo only needs to keep them warm, instead of warm them up from cold
    2009 Jamis Trail X2
    2008 Trek fuel ex7

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by henry9419 View Post
    i like the chemical heaters, but i dont wanna be buying them every time i go for a hour long bike ride when they last 6+ hours,
    Stick the heat packs in a plastic ziploc bag, get rid of the air, seal 'em up and the heat reaction stops. I don't know how long you can store them like that but when I use a pack in the morning,then store it through the day, it's good enough to get me home again in evening.
    I like to think of my arms and hands as one entity. If my hands are getting cold it's often 'cause I haven't got the arms covered as well as they should be.
    Cheers, Dave

Moderator Moderator

We need a guinea pig...

I saw on fatbike forum that the AME heated grips have been dropped from $350 TO $199 for the complete kit. catalog | mountainbike_heated
    I "added to cart" to see if it was really available & my computer says the checkout may not be secure...

volunteers?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've used the Hotronic M4 heated insoles for several years. Awesome product intended for the skiing crowd. The temperature can be adjusted to 4 different settings without taking your gloves off. They keep my feet cozy on the coldest days. I attached a pic of them set up on an old pair of Lake SPD shoes (long since retired).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looking at a couple heated motorcycle gloves, they range from to 10W to 15W per glove. If you need 10W per glove, then a set of 6 AA will last about 43 minutes assuming 1.2V and 2AH per NiMH AA.

Even then you risk damaging the cells if the gloves don't have a low voltage cut off and it drains the batteries below 1V. With primaries, who cares since you'd throw them away, but I'd be pissed if they ruined six Eneloops.

I guess you could convert it to use two 18650 in series and you'd get 1 hour of run time. Just need to make sure that you have two good batteries so one doesn't reverse the other causing explosive events. I guess you could use IMR type but you lose almost 50% energy density. Protected 18650 should be able to cut power once the battery drops to about 2.5V.
    Last edited by jseko; 11-05-2011 at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk View Post
    Stick the heat packs in a plastic ziploc bag, get rid of the air, seal 'em up and the heat reaction stops. I don't know how long you can store them like that but when I use a pack in the morning,then store it through the day, it's good enough to get me home again in evening..
    I keep a baby food jar at work and another at home. I stuff the chemical warmers in the jars upon arrival. I can usually get a pair of warmers to last an entire week of commuting.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I saw on fatbike forum that the AME heated grips have been dropped from $350 TO $199 for the complete kit. catalog | mountainbike_heated
    I "added to cart" to see if it was really available & my computer says the checkout may not be secure...

volunteers?
    I know this is an old post, but I ordered a set of Ame grips the beginning of November 2012, waited about four weeks, sent them an e-mail on the status. Told me that I ordered gray and they needed to mold the gray, had other colors available. Replied that I didn't care about the color, send black if they had in stock. A month or so after that, still nothing, sent off another e-mail and they informed me they were waiting to get the charger or adapter in stock. Both times I informed them I wasn't very happy about not getting any updates, no response to either. So this past week have yet to hear anything, sent off another e-mail and canceled the order. When I ordered the grips, nothing indicated that they were out of stock or would not ship anytime soon. Check out may or may not be secure at this point in time, I don't recall seeing it wasn't, but their customer service is non-existant. Was looking forward to warm hands on the rides but after that, couldn't recommend anything about ordering from them.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ That's disappointing. Thanks for the info.