heading into rainy season and need advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

heading into rainy season and need advice!

Rain is here and Im in need of some fenders. I have a 2012 santa cruz highball 29er. Has anyone used either one of these fenders sets with some feedback? Any help would be great!

Review – SKS Grand M.O.M. and Grand D.A.D. Fenders | FAT-BIKE.COM

Topeak® Cycling Accessories — Products - DeFender™ M1/XC11 Set (29")

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The rear is decent enough to keep the wet off of you from the back, but the front is almost useless for anything other than keeping mud/rain off the fork/frame. You will get sprayed. A better option is to use a downtube guard (if you are focused on clip-ons), or the downtube guard and the fork clip on.

They'll stay on, but they don't even kind of compare to full coverage fenders. Anybody who commutes through the wet eventually goes full coverage.

since 4/10/2009
    Why are you bothering to look at fatbike fenders for your 29er? Seems overkill.

I don't bother much with fenders on my mtb. I use a Mucky Nutz one on the rear suspension to help keep stuff off of my shock. Up front, nada.

My commuter bike has full coverage fenders with BuddyFlaps mud flaps.

If I'm splashing water, I don't much care. If I'm flinging mud around, I go find somewhere else to ride that's not so muddy. I have options for that, though I might have to drive a bit to find them.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For a commute bike, definitely full fenders. Planet Bike Hardcore, for example.

Off-road is trickier. I'm a little uncomfortable about the stays. I just bought a Mudhugger rear fender for my mountain bike. If I didn't already have a mucky nutz fender for my fork, I'd probably get the whole Mudhugger set. I don't expect that kind of fender to keep my legs dry, but they do keep my butt, face and torso dry, which is a big improvement.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

RAKC
    The toppeak ones I bought for dealing with winter. Rear works great, front as said doesn't stop everything, but its only my shins down that get dirty, keeps the junk off the rest of me. That said I haven't really used them in rough trials as trails here are closed when wet anyway. I also have the frame mounted guard and prefer that overall for the front.

But now I refuse to ride my 29er in the serious muck. Occasional shallow creek crossing doesn't bother me but mud, snow etc, I get tired of things getting tore up and the severely increased maintaince from doing it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    [QUOTE=Harold;12182875]Why are you bothering to look at fatbike fenders for your 29er? Seems overkill.

Cause those fenders claim to be used on 29ers!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    The toppeak ones I bought for dealing with winter. Rear works great, front as said doesn't stop everything, but its only my shins down that get dirty, keeps the junk off the rest of me. That said I haven't really used them in rough trials as trails here are closed when wet anyway. I also have the frame mounted guard and prefer that overall for the front.

But now I refuse to ride my 29er in the serious muck. Occasional shallow creek crossing doesn't bother me but mud, snow etc, I get tired of things getting tore up and the severely increased maintaince from doing it.
    Thanks! Im just trying to keep the water from the street from going up into my face. I have rain pants and coat. Im in the Northwest where its usually long wet winters.

Moderator Moderator
    I've used the SKS Mom/Dad on a 26'r and a fatbike. Unfortunately the plastic nubbin on the rear clip eventually failed, twice (had one on both bikes for a while), and then no longer stays attached. The front is still on the 26'r and has held up to a lot of abuse. It does require a fork with a "hole" under the crown, which most, but not all forks have.