"he just a good ole boy..didn't mean nothin' by it.."- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

"he just a good ole boy..didn't mean nothin' by it.."

Can't help to think if bikes were given the okay to ride against traffic, maybe this could have been avoided...hate feeling like a sitting duck...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...collision.html

Bikers are on this road all the time, they weren't riding anywhere odd.

ride the moment
    The other option is to stop handing out driver's licenses to every [email protected] who wants one (since they kill over 40,000 people a year). Of course that would require structuring communities such that a person could live in them without a car.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

I'm SUCH a square....
    +1000, Dogbrain -- except all they'd have to do is increase the bus routes for these miscreants.

Riding against traffic is THE WRONG IDEA.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Sorry, I should have elaborated..what I meant by riding against traffic, is the contraflow lanes that they use in Europe. Some have curbs dividing cars and bikes and it also gives more room to guard against the ‘door prize’.

As far as that article goes, what got me was the lack of a citation against the driver. if that was a cop writing a ticket who got hit, there would be a citation at the very least…

No-Brakes Cougar
    This is horrible. Sounds like the universe had it in for them. +1,000,000 to Dogbrain. Love him or hate him, BikesnobNYC hit the nail on the head when he said that U.S. auto manufactures should be required to only produce vehicles with manual transmissions, which would immediately take at least 60% of people off the road (or some similar figure). That would include me of course, at least until I learn how to drive a manual (or would I even bother?). At any rate, I really hope somebody presses for manslaughter charges. If not, that would be absolutely pathetic considering normally you can't even kill someone in self-defense without getting charged with manslaughter.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 – May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I live here and it seems momentum is gaining for something to be done. At the very least someone high up is gonna have to put thier face out there and offer an explanation for not charging the driver with an offense. Take this however you want but the race, economic status and the terrible fact of a newly orphaned 7 year old girl will all work towards broader high level discussions on bikes and cars.

That said, I would never, ever, ever, ride where they were. It is a 4 lane divided super highway outside city limits with awesome sweepers running thru God's country and if your going 70 you better be in the slow lane. . No body is safe out there.

ride the moment
    Yeah the lack of citation struck me too. I mean, if he had swerved into the other lane of traffic he would be liable for damages and injuries. But since he swerved the other way, where there just happened to be a biker, its an "accident" so no citation? There was an article here recently about a cyclist killed in Vancouver WA, but it was a hit and run with no witnesses. All of this makes me thankful for the bike paths we have in Corvallis.

The main obstacle with beginning to regulate driver's licenses is that most cities are actually suburbs and you really can't get around without a car. My parents live in a suburb of Knoxville, TN and I really don't think you could have effective public transit in that area. Everything is just too spread out.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

No-Brakes Cougar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    The main obstacle with beginning to regulate driver's licenses is that most cities are actually suburbs and you really can't get around without a car. My parents live in a suburb of Knoxville, TN and I really don't think you could have effective public transit in that area. Everything is just too spread out.
    You raise a good point. The suburbs were themselves designed with the automobile in mind. Before the automobile revolution, you either lived in the big city or the countryside. Big cities were originally designed around horse & buggy and the subway. That's why it's so much easier to navigate the big cities these days by public transit or bike, and so difficult to drive in it. Conversely, public transit and safe bike routes are either lacking or virtually non-existent in the "burbs."

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    update:
    Tonight is the memorial at a church in a small town about 30 miles north of here. the family has extended an invitation to all area cyclist to attend.
    The plan is to have the cyclist line the road as an "honor guard" as people arrive for the service.
    From the vibe i'm getting it should be a huge turnout by cyclists.
    Also, the DA has been answering questions on cam and has promised a through investigation.

No-Brakes Cougar
    That's good news at least. And the "honor guard" would be a great show of solidarity on the part of the cycling community. Thanks for the update man.

weirdo
    Yes, good news. I hope all goes well and all parties play nice.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Had close to 300 cyclists turnout last night for a moving tribute to the couple that lost their lives. A 2 mile silent ride and "honor guard" All the local affiliates and the paper were there. Some nice coverage at WOAI TV, KENS TV, KSAT TV, KABB TV and the Express News.
    I have never seen this kind of traction on this type of tragedy here ever.
    Maybe something positive can come of this.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Failure to maintain control of your vehicle is an offense and the driver should be cited accordingly. He is probably also guilty of inattentive driving. Civil action should definitely follow.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    +1000, Dogbrain -- except all they'd have to do is increase the bus routes for these miscreants.

Riding against traffic is THE WRONG IDEA.
    +++++1 on that!!! no way!! Riding against traffic Always BAD!! I SEE IT EVERY DAY IN MY TOWN!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say.” – Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    The truck that hit the cyclists was going about 70 mph and the speed limit in that area is 65, authorities said.
    How can they not even charge him for speeding and failure to maintain control of the vehicle? Not to mention 2 manslaughter charges since 2 people died while he committed the other 2 infractions.

mtbr member
    That is horrible, I feel for the family.

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    How can they not even charge him for speeding and failure to maintain control of the vehicle? Not to mention 2 manslaughter charges since 2 people died while he committed the other 2 infractions.
    "Deputy Ino Badillo, spokesman for the Bexar County Sheriff's Office said... the collision appeared to be an accident and didn't think the driver would face charges".

I knew a lady that was stung by a wasp and drove her car into the ditch while trying to prevent another sting. She didn't hurt anything but her car (not even the wasp). She was cited for "Failure to control vehicle" and had to pay. Here we have a 7 year old girl who is now parentless. BTW, did you see the side bar that tells of another rider killed by a driver that faied to maintain control because he was looking for another radio station...no charges filled.

The attitude of the Sheriffs Dept is maddening. Life is precious...unless your on a bicycle.

Mikey

mtbr member
    We've had 3 or 4 deaths here this year and it has been the same crap. not even a citation for the inattentive drivers. I don't understand why the police are so defensive of bad drivers.

One of our state legislators was trying to do something about it and one of his solutions was to make it illegal to throw things at cyclists. I found it interesting as I'm pretty sure it would be battery if I threw an empty bottle in the driver's seat of another car or at a pedestrian. Somehow cyclists lose the rights given to all other street users.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

weirdo
    "About 70 MPH" in a 65 zone is bordering on impeding traffic. Just to be fair about things, I had to point that out.

Also, who never spaces out, changes the radio station, looks for something in the glovebox while driving? Let that guy write the first citation. Since things went so tragically wrong in these cases, I guess write up tickets in order to not insult the victims and their families, but really... unless its a case where the driver was deliberately messing with the cyclist, or even doing something that`s a well known and harped against and easilly preventable danger (DUI, texting, driving at twice the speed of the other traffic, etc), it`s just one of those things. I don`t mean to minimize the riders` deaths or to say that the drivers were perfectly innocent, but they were doing what (nearly) all of us do hundreds of times and get away with. It`s just that one time in a million where tragedy strikes, and how can you hang somebody for that no matter how terrible the consequences were? The world is not perfect and never will be. Terrible things will always happen, even preventable tragedies.
    Recalculating....

Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    ...I don`t mean to minimize the riders` deaths or to say that the drivers were perfectly innocent, but they were doing what (nearly) all of us do hundreds of times and get away with. It`s just that one time in a million where tragedy strikes, and how can you hang somebody for that no matter how terrible the consequences were?...
    I read many of your post and agree with most, but this attitude is exactly what angers me. Yes, I've adjusted my radio and answered my cell phone, etc. while driving. But when I am aproaching a pedestrian, or cyclist, or an intersection, ect., THAT is where my attention is, as it should be for everyone behind the wheel. God forbid that I should kill someone because I had my head up my a$$, but should that ever happen, then I'll deserve what I get. No one has said this guy should hang, but, he certainly deserves more than an "Oh well, sh!t happens". You don't think he should perhaps lose his privilege to drive for a little while, or pay a fine, or do community service?

Mikey
    Last edited by MikeyLikesIt; 10-10-2009 at 09:38 AM.

Dec 2007
    On second thought, maybe if we started hanging these SOB's perhaps there would be fewer people driving around with their heads up their butts.

OK, I knew better than read this thread...I just get angry and it does absolutely no one any good. Sorry, I'm going to go ride my bike now.

Mikey

No-Brakes Cougar
    "About 70 MPH" in a 65 zone is bordering on impeding traffic. Just to be fair about things, I had to point that out.

Also, who never spaces out, changes the radio station, looks for something in the glovebox while driving? Let that guy write the first citation. Since things went so tragically wrong in these cases, I guess write up tickets in order to not insult the victims and their families, but really... unless its a case where the driver was deliberately messing with the cyclist, or even doing something that`s a well known and harped against and easilly preventable danger (DUI, texting, driving at twice the speed of the other traffic, etc), it`s just one of those things. I don`t mean to minimize the riders` deaths or to say that the drivers were perfectly innocent, but they were doing what (nearly) all of us do hundreds of times and get away with. It`s just that one time in a million where tragedy strikes, and how can you hang somebody for that no matter how terrible the consequences were? The world is not perfect and never will be. Terrible things will always happen, even preventable tragedies.
    I agree that he shouldn't necessarily get the death penalty or anything (even though it is Texas), but when you are operating a motor vehicle you have a responsibility to maintain control 100% of the time without exception. If your failure to control the vehicle becomes the direct result of one or more fatalities then you should be liable.

weirdo
    My intention was to put some perspective into what I saw as a pretty much one sided discusion and I went overboard by saying the drivers didn`t deserve to be hanged- you`re right that nobody had suggested anything like it. I should have posted a tamer and more appropriate version of my point.
    Recalculating....

Seeeriously easy Livin
    There is a difference between being inattentive while driving and getting in an accident because something swerves/stops in front of you, vs being so distracted that your vehicle leaves it's lane and hits something. How is the fact that alcohol wasn't involved an excuse, that just makes him more grossly negligent. This isn't a response to the other comments in this thread, just venting frustration.

My vote for punishment, make the guy liable for the punitive damages due to the 7 year old daughter, make him pay to raise her, and all the way up to her college tuition, plus a hefty dose on top for pain and suffering.

No-Brakes Cougar
    My intention was to put some perspective into what I saw as a pretty much one sided discusion and I went overboard by saying the drivers didn`t deserve to be hanged- you`re right that nobody had suggested anything like it. I should have posted a tamer and more appropriate version of my point.
    I totally understand your point though, it's human nature to respond to situations like these with the "get a rope" mentality, but being the 21st century and all that really isn't the way to solve things. Let's just hope and pray that our often skewed justice system does the right thing.

mtbr member
    I think part of the problem is we see a double standard. If an inattentive driver kills a cyclist, it is a forgivable incident without so much as a citation. But people are being cited for inattentive driving etc for driving into a ditch. Yea, life isn't fair. But, it is so gross of a double standard it appears the police actually condone or encourage running over cyclists.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

Members who have read this thread: 0