Have rack now need bag for small grocery loads?- Mtbr.com
    808+909 = Party Good Time

Have rack now need bag for small grocery loads?

What are others using. Small loads being milk, bread and juice generally.

So many options.

No-Brakes Cougar
    You could get a basket with handles that mounts on top of the rack? Or baskets that mount up like panniers? Or folding baskets? Not that I'm particularly attached to the basket idea, but they seem like they would be very practical for groceries.
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

weirdo
    I use a basket that`s permanently mounted to the bike. It works great, but I`d only recomend that route if you have a tank of a bike and don`t care about an extra couple pounds and exrta air drag with you every time you pedal out your driveway. Otherwise, those grocery panniers by several different manufacturers look like the way to go. FWIW, I`m getting ready to retire that particular bike (with the baskets) and will probably just use the touring gear I already have for whatever I need to carry.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    Yeah I'm probably after something I can use for light touring as well. Baskets are a great idea, I actually hadn't thought of those but a touring style setup would probably be more cost effective for both jobs.

Oh and it's a GT Peace 9r MTB so I guess you could say it's a tank of a bike, it could carry a lot.

weirdo
    I don`t use the basket bike for touring- panniers if there are services, trailer if I have to carry several gallons of water along. If a basket was what you had, I suppose it would do the job even on a long haul, but the weight is pretty high. Can`t beat one for groceries though.

And by a tank, I didn`t mean the strength of size of the bike so much as one that`s allready slow and heavy and doesn`t get any faster even when it`s as unloaded as possible. The bike I was calling a tank is an old plumbers pipe Univega with fenders, front platform, rear basket, full set of lights, dynohub, heavy IG hub in the back. It weighs in at over 40# with no cargo, so it`s slow no matter what- don`t really matter how much more I pile on. Now that I have a road bike, I`m going to hand over commute and grocery duties to my touring bike, which used to double as a wannabe roadie between tours.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Panniers like this one - http://www.rei.com/product/780449 are a LOT easier to load grocery type loads into. I just got some for my wife and they work a lot better than the panniers I use for commuting. Most regular panniers taper and are harder to load squarish carton, box, etc. loads into.

ride the moment
    Banjo Brothers makes a "market pannier" that fits a paper grocery sack perfectly with a reinforced flat bottom. It comes on and off pretty quick and has an over the shoulder strap so you can pop it off and carry it in the store and then reattach it easily when its loaded.
    Hey Butthead, are we gonna die? - Beavis

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbrain
    Banjo Brothers makes a "market pannier" that fits a paper grocery sack perfectly with a reinforced flat bottom. It comes on and off pretty quick and has an over the shoulder strap so you can pop it off and carry it in the store and then reattach it easily when its loaded.
    I have the Market Pannier from Banjo Brothers, it works and is holding up nicely. I do not like the way it attaches to the rack. The rubber coated hooks lose their rubber within a few uses. I have taped my rack with electrical tape to prevent scratching and metal on metal noise. It's not the prettiest fix, but it's a fix.

mtbr member
    I bought the Banjo Bros Back Rack Pack about 2 months ago. So far I've been very impressed... although it was pretty pricy upfront at 65$, I cannot imagine riding without it. I've loaded gallons of milk, bags of chips, and 12 packs in it with ease. I am careful not to load up the cart but have yet to run out of room with amazement sometimes.

I like the look and construction of the pack and it holds very solid on my Blackburn Mt Rack. I especially like the option to fold up and down the panniers although I rarely fold them up.

Thats the sales pitch... heres the link: http://www.banjobrothers.com/products/01070.php#
    "If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice."

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    Panniers like this one - http://www.rei.com/product/780449 are a LOT easier to load grocery type loads into.
    These work nice. Second.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

Members who have read this thread: 0