Has anyone used the Rapha Backpack for commuting?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Has anyone used the Rapha Backpack for commuting?

I am going to start riding to/from my office, about 15 miles each way. I am looking for a backpack to hold a laptop, a few files, a change of clothes and lunch. The Rapha backpack shows up in a lot of "Best commuting backpacks" articles, but these reviews are often sponsored by the manufacturers. Supposedly the Rapha is specifically designed for road riding.

Anyone have any actual user experience with this backpack?

(I see there is a thread a few down on backpack recos but this one wasn't mentioned...)

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Matches View Post
    I am going to start riding to/from my office, about 15 miles each way. I am looking for a backpack to hold a laptop, a few files, a change of clothes and lunch. The Rapha backpack shows up in a lot of "Best commuting backpacks" articles, but these reviews are often sponsored by the manufacturers. Supposedly the Rapha is specifically designed for road riding.

Anyone have any actual user experience with this backpack?

(I see there is a thread a few down on backpack recos but this one wasn't mentioned...)
    I know a guy who has done a lot of mag review articles for various stuff. The stuff they use for them is just stuff they got from manufacturers. Not sure I'd say they're "sponsored" by the mfrs, but you have to take them with a grain of salt. The fact that a particular item was excluded or included in a test means very little.

They're really more of a "This is the stuff we've got to test/compare, so the rankings are really only relative to what we've got in the test" sort of article. But of course that kind of title doesn't generate clicks.

Me, I don't think I'd ever buy something Rapha for commuting unless it legitimately was the most functional/effective. One thing Rapha does well is make expensive stuff. When I'm commuting, I don't want expensive stuff for the sake of being expensive or stylish. Function is king. So for commuting, a backpack is probably my last choice for carrying my stuff. Carrying a laptop is probably the only thing I'd want on my body, but I'd probably prefer a pannier that can be quickly removed from the rack to carry into whatever building I'm walking into.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I would sure like to,see,one of those packs in person as they donít look like anything special on their website.

I recently purchased an Eddie Bauer bacon 2. It is very light. It is a 28l pack.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad