Has anyone ever had to press charges?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Has anyone ever had to press charges?

I'm riding down the road and I see this vehicle just back out from a parking space onto the street. I dont have a horn so I whistle at him to make my presence known.

He decides he going to start yell at me (FU ***!) So I just give him the finger.

He decides to catch up and run me off the road.

At this point I tell him to get off the car but he runs like a damn sissy (probably not the best idea now that I think about it)

Anyhow, on my way back I see he is back from his lunch and his car is parked outside in the same spot. So I decided I'm going inside for a name. Which I did from a coworker.

I can assure you he was more then surprised to see me in there getting his information. Anyhow, Im deciding whether or not I can or if I should charges against this asshat.

What is your experience in this type of situation, do people ever get charged with anything or am I just wasting my time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    He will almost certainly not be charged BUT it's important to still make the report, so the information is there in case the next time he road-rages at a cyclist they end up injured or dead. It can contribute to a conviction, or even give police a place to start investigating.

since 4/10/2009
    Yeah, police won't do anything right now if there's no proof of injury. But I agree about making the report, anyway. It shows that people are concerned about being run off the road and it tags this guy for the future.

mtbr member
    Yeah, do it, some times people say stupid things, maybe he will admit it. It's good, like everyone else is saying, to get a record of it.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Moderator Moderator
    Glad you're OK! That was brave, but there are some nut jobs out there, so confrontation does not always end well. If the police go so far as to talk to him about it, he may think twice next time...but you may have already accomplished that by showing up at his work after the incident.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quick update,

Police stopped by my office after I placed a call to the Non emergency line. My coworkers thought I was getting arrested for something as they walk in the lobby and ask for me by name... Lol

Anyhow, I explained what had happened, they said there was no charges they could file since I was not hurt and I did not have witnesses. The best they could do was record the incident for future incidents. They would also do a driveby the location I gave them as his work of place and if they saw the vehicle I described and the licence plate number they would go inside to talk to him. Which I guess is good enough at this point.

Really has me considering recording all my commutes and rides with the Gopro from now on.

mtbr member
    Call a lawyer that specializes in bicycle law. Then call the police department, or highway patrol, and file an incident report.

Antagonizing the driver will hurt your cause, but **** happens.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakoGT View Post
    I'm riding down the road and I see this vehicle just back out from a parking space onto the street. I dont have a horn so I whistle at him to make my presence known.

He decides he going to start yell at me (FU ***!) So I just give him the finger.

He decides to catch up and run me off the road.

At this point I tell him to get off the car but he runs like a damn sissy (probably not the best idea now that I think about it)

Anyhow, on my way back I see he is back from his lunch and his car is parked outside in the same spot. So I decided I'm going inside for a name. Which I did from a coworker.

I can assure you he was more then surprised to see me in there getting his information. Anyhow, Im deciding whether or not I can or if I should charges against this asshat.

What is your experience in this type of situation, do people ever get charged with anything or am I just wasting my time.
    Have had it twice first time I had a willing witness after the event she came over and gave my first name and number...told me to call the cops, if just to help protect kids around.

Cops came I said dam right I will testify, call the witness she damn right she will testify....charged the guy. havn't seen him since....but I got a letter from the city saying I was now an official victim and can make use of PTSD consulling...so I guess he pled out the charge.

Second time no witness call the cops, I said damn right I would testify, he said he would have a talk with the guy....Saw the guy once afterward and he recognized me. He was courteous.