Has anyone ever been followed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Has anyone ever been followed?

I had a strange encounter last night on my commute home. My commute is late - around 10:15pm - and a vehicle followed me for quite a while. At a four-way stop it turned going the same direction I was headed and immediately pulled over allowing me to pass. For about 4 blocks it drove slowly behind me - I'm only going maybe 15 mph and the limit is 25 so most cars pass me quickly. Finally passes me and turns at the next major intersection. When I arrive, I notice it's practically stopped on the road and as soon as I continue across the major road, it quickly changes lanes and takes an immediate turn on a street running parallel to my path. I can see it at each side street matching my speed, staying slightly behind. Next major street Iook down before turning and notice that it waits for me to turn and then pulls out in the same direction and quickly turns down another street and stops in the middle of the road and appears to be turning around. I pedal like crazy to get home, kill my lights and run in the house.

Perhaps I'm paranoid but cars are typically much faster than me and I've never had a situation even close to this before. I'm a female which adds to my concern but I live in Boise, Idaho -- a relatively safe community! Incidentally, any Boise peeps - it's a newer Dodge Durango, extended cab, bright blue. I couldn't get the plate number but they've got BSU plates. Also some stickers in the driver's rear window - I think a #11 and some lettters?

I'm picking up some pepper spray today on my way to work and plan on a different route home, but this incident almost makes me not want to ride (and I ride everyday!). Anyone have any other advice? Could just be an odd coincidence, but I'd rather be overly-cautious.
    Just trying to set my inner athlete free!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    tailing on side streets but making the same turns?
    you're not being OVERLY cautious in my opinion...

for the record, I once "tailed" a girl, she was on the same zig zag route I was taking, but I made a point of staying behind her, first checking out her bike, then trying to figure out what her calf tattoo was.
    I'm sure she thought I was just leering, but I was just riding right behind her and if she'd stopped at a stoplight or somesuch I would've continued on ahead. (which she eventually did and shot me a dirty look, which I wholly deserved)

had I been zipping down sidestreets, waiting at intersections to see which way she headed and then following her route I would consider myself a stalker.
    see if you can get a tail of your own, get them to follow you two blocks back or something, and they can try to get pics of the truck/driver/plate if they appear again.

not to advocate aggressive action, but something to bear in mind is that someone following you from that distance is doing so because they don't want to be seen, chase them down and they might take off?
    stay safe!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pepper spray and taking a different route sounds like a good idea. Maybe pack a super bright flashlight. Keep your head on a swivel and don't immediately go to your home until you are confident no one is following.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IDdirtgirl
    I had a strange encounter last night on my commute home. My commute is late - around 10:15pm - and a vehicle followed me for quite a while. At a four-way stop it turned going the same direction I was headed and immediately pulled over allowing me to pass. For about 4 blocks it drove slowly behind me - I'm only going maybe 15 mph and the limit is 25 so most cars pass me quickly. Finally passes me and turns at the next major intersection. When I arrive, I notice it's practically stopped on the road and as soon as I continue across the major road, it quickly changes lanes and takes an immediate turn on a street running parallel to my path. I can see it at each side street matching my speed, staying slightly behind. Next major street Iook down before turning and notice that it waits for me to turn and then pulls out in the same direction and quickly turns down another street and stops in the middle of the road and appears to be turning around. I pedal like crazy to get home, kill my lights and run in the house.

Perhaps I'm paranoid but cars are typically much faster than me and I've never had a situation even close to this before. I'm a female which adds to my concern but I live in Boise, Idaho -- a relatively safe community! Incidentally, any Boise peeps - it's a newer Dodge Durango, extended cab, bright blue. I couldn't get the plate number but they've got BSU plates. Also some stickers in the driver's rear window - I think a #11 and some lettters?

I'm picking up some pepper spray today on my way to work and plan on a different route home, but this incident almost makes me not want to ride (and I ride everyday!). Anyone have any other advice? Could just be an odd coincidence, but I'd rather be overly-cautious.

Shoulda called 911.....

As soon as you could without being seen doing...

Contact the cops anyway.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the ideas and support!!

I thought about calling the police. If I see them tonight I'll ride to the store or gas station nearby and call. Fortunately, my fiance is home and will be on the lookout too.

Freaky people make me sad...I love riding my bike to work - rain or shine!
    Just trying to set my inner athlete free!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been followed by a pissed of driver or two but no one at random.

Sounds creepy, keep your eyes peeled and cell phone handy.

Bedwards Of The West
    Probably some innocent college fun, but I would ride with the bluetooth in your ear and 911 on speed dial...make the call and keep riding calmly until you see the flashing lights.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Hooded menace
    Did you think about stopping and asking the guy why he's following you?
    If you don't react the way he expects you to, maybe this will disturb him and he'll drive away?

Anyway your story reminds me of something that happened to my mother a few years ago:
    she was walking back home at night through a safe and quiet area. She encountered a guy on a bike who was riding at her pace. Of course she was afraid and walked in the middle of the street. The guy was still there and once she started to run he began masturbating while riding...
    My conclusion is that some weirdos like this guy just want to scare people. Once they know their "victim" is afraid they may be satisfied.
    In any case, safety first so yes, cell phone, pepper spray, flashlight and maybe a camera should be useful.

mtbr member
    Assuming that you are in a well-populated area, a loud whistle or airhorn-in-a-can could grab the attention of others...

You can even make one yourself (which is much smaller than the commercially available ones). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQGe2-p9tU

No-Brakes Cougar
    Super creepy! The audacity of people who try to pull this kind of stuff pisses me off, like you're stupid and you're not going to notice or something. Don't let it ruin your fun. As mentioned, pepper spray, an air horn and a cellphone are all tools for dealing with this idiot. Does your fiance ride? Maybe he can meet you at work and ride with you? Four wheels are usually better than two in these situations. Good luck and stay safe!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcster
    Assuming that you are in a well-populated area, a loud whistle or airhorn-in-a-can could grab the attention of others...

You can even make one yourself (which is much smaller than the commercially available ones). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgQGe2-p9tU
    Just be careful where you put that CO2 powered airhorn. I had one in my pants pocket the other day while hiking. I must have put some weird angled pressure on it, because it started to leak, and left an interesting "freezer burn" mark on my leg.

As for as the creepy rider... there is no excuse for that kind of behaviour. Keep an eye out (without becoming a paranoid person) and report him / her / it the next time. Pepper spray? Absolutely! I don't recommend confrontation, unless you have some wicked self defence moves.

Moderator Moderator
    Dirtgirl sister, that sux! I had a creepy guy here in VT too, following (slow, but only for a short ways, you must've been freaking), yelling, peeling out, etc. repeatedly at night on my way home. I got the plate the 2nd time, a friend looked it up, the jerk only lives 1/2 mi further down my road. Called the local cops, they were not enthusiastic, but agreed to talk to him, and it has since stopped (not immediately, but it has been months now). Maybe dangerous, maybe just getting off on it, but either way it is just plain wrong to scare someone like that. I would call the police and at least describe the incident and the car, so if it happens again they won't blow it off. If you see him again & there is anywhere safe to stop, I would do that & make a call. Even if you call a friend, he will assume it's the cops. Good luck & let us know how it goes!

The Brutally Handsome
    One of the many nice things about a bike is that it can go where cars can't. If that happens again, you might consider quickly turning around and riding the other direction, as it takes a car much longer to execute a turn. You could also ride the sidewalk up a one-way street, ride through a field or run a stoplight. Obviously, these evasive maneuvers should only be performed in emergencies!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Couple of options for you:

1-Next time, turn around, ride straight at him full tilt, come to a screeching halt with a crazed look on your face, leap on his hood, make monkey noises, drop yer drawers and deficate, smack youserself a few times, and then just ride away, preferably naked or something.... If he follows you again, he's definitaly disturbed.

2-Bring a camera, and as soon as you see his vehicle (do this in a public place with witnesses so he won't confront you) take several photos and make it very obvious you are photographing him, then, consider changing your route. Unless he's got REALLY nefarious intentions, and mafia connections, he'll probably leave you alone once he realizes you now have photos of him, and his license plate.

weirdo
    ID Dirt, according to what you said, I don`t think you were being paranoid either. Hopefully it was a random thing and he has no idea who you are and no plans to tail you again. It does sound like a good idea to report it, even now, just in case he does keep hounding you. You never know, even if he never sees you personally again, your call just might be helpful to the police if it happens regularly to others. Also, Sizzler`s evasive tactics sound like a good plan to keep in mind- they keep you a lot further from the creep than you`d need to be for pepper spray.

Members who have read this thread: 0