Handle bar rig for commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Handle bar rig for commuter

I have a Trek 7.2FX for commuting, it is a hybrid flat bar. But I wanted additional hand postions to avoid numbness. I came up with this inexpensive setup. It is a pairof bar ends and grips but not on the end of the bar. The point of having them in closer is to avoid hving such a wide open stance. Ithas worked really well with my carpel tinnel surgery I had years ago. No pain or numbness now.

wonky looking aint it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Heh, I've actually considered doing something similar with some stubby bar ends inboard like yours.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've contemplated doing that on my MTB. There's actually some commercially produced bars that come out of the box like that too.

Glad it's working for you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thetazzbot View Post
    ...But I wanted additional hand postions to avoid numbness. I came up with this inexpensive setup. It is a pairof bar ends and grips but not on the end of the bar. The point of having them in closer is to avoid hving such a wide open stance....

wonky looking aint it?

I have a somewhat similar setup on my $30 Goodwill special. After trueing and adjusting, I moved the cheap bar-ends with the amazingly good anatomical twist 1.5" inwards, to give me an almost track-like posture (they're tilted no more than about 12 deg.). Very like my road bars, 25 years ago (42cm width); but I have changed so your post prompts me to move them in another inch.

...Wonky? Functional's a beautiful word, in my book!
    Last edited by SMorrison; 10-05-2012 at 05:09 PM. Reason: correction

mtbr member
    Looks good! I have a bit of trouble with numbness too, maybe I should give this a shot
    "In nuclear war, all men are cremated equal" - Dexter Gordon

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i also have minor carpal tunnel and tennis elbow from factory work with my hands. i start getting numbness when i go much over 10 miles if i dont change positions. i can just take my hands off the bars and sit uprights, stretch my arms and the tingling goes away after a few seconds, so it's a minor annoyance, but i imagine my body is telling me it doesn't want my arms like that.

i'm riding a boardman hybrid, and switched from the stock flat bars to on one fleegles. this helped a little bit, they have a minor rise and a 15 degree sweep. they didn't cure it though.

i'm looking at the groovy luv handles, although they seem to be very popular with the single speed 29er guys, i haven't heard of many people commuting on them. has anyone else? are they made more for out of the saddle pounding than seated commuting? my body position is similar to a mountain bike, my back is at about a 45 degree angle, not more upright like some commuters.

Luv Handles

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    well, i should be able to tell you guys soon, they got my luv handles done a lot sooner than expected, only about 3 weeks after ordering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by apheod View Post
    well, i should be able to tell you guys soon, they got my luv handles done a lot sooner than expected, only about 3 weeks after ordering.
    Luv Handles ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Handle bar rig for commuter-6a0120a7ed5f9d970b0148c7acddf1970c-800wi.jpg  

The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    i've been riding on them for about a week now, so far i love them. i'm still tweaking, making very tiny adjustments every couple of days but i think i have them about dialed in. lot of complex angles on them, between the rise, forward and rear sweeps, a tiny move makes a big difference. seems like there would be enough adjustability to work with just about anyones wrists, but right out of the box my hands and wrists felt relaxed and neutral. i have a bad habit of gripping the bars too hard, i'm trying to work on that, but the pain is gradually going away, i think i'm seeing inflamation from the bars i had been using going away as i get used to these. i had a bit of numbness on my first couple of rides, after i moved them a tad it went away. just about have my sweet spot now.

i'm surprised more people don't use these on flat bar commuters, they're everything i'd hoped for and they look great. also, being custom bars, you aren't likely to run into many folks with them.

i'll post some pictures up when i get home from work later this afternoon.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I suspect they fall into a bit of a gap in the marketplace. A lot of mountain bikers feel that too much sweep makes it harder for them to control their bikes. A lot of commuters on flat bars are trying to save money and/or aren't gear-savvy. A lot of savvy commuters switch to road bikes.

Glad they're working for you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    almost forgot the pictures.

personally, i don't want to ride a real road bike for commuting. i prefer having my head more upright to watch traffic, and being hunched over like that bothers my lower back.

i haven't noticed any loss of control, in fact it feels easier to put the bike where i want it. hard to describe, but it's more like i'm guiding the bike than steering it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I like the way you mounted the bar ends. I thought the intended position was too wide for commuting. Great idea.

mtbr member
    Those Luv Handles look pretty good.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by junior1210 View Post
    Those Luv Handles look pretty good.
    Yeah, they are a pretty trick looking bar.

Members who have read this thread: 0