The Gryphon has landed!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Gryphon has landed!

I've posted this over on bikeforums.com, but thought I'd share here, too, since I learned of Singular (and the Gryphon in particular) on these forums.

After a looooong wait (original deposit on the frame was in August), the Gryphon has landed.
    In my quest for my ultimate commuter/dirt tourer, I had several key criteria that I wanted.
    - 29er mountain bike/gravel grinder, designed around a rigid-only fork and relaxed geometry
    - rack mounts and capable of mounting standard fenders
    - clearance for up to 2.4" tires for offroad fun (singletrack, bikepacking, fire road touring)
    - Ability to use an IGH without a tensioner (sliding dropouts or EBB)
    - Ability to use flat or "dirt drop" bars
    - Chromoly or titanium
    - 100mm front spacing for dynamo hub (I eliminated several contenders with 135mm front spacing)

I considered many options, and my final list included the Surly Ogre/Karate Monkey (geometry was steeper than I wanted, and both are designed around a suspension fork), Jeff Jones "diamond frame" with custom fork (or NOS Salsa V1 fork), On One Inbred 29er, and a few others that dropped off the list pretty quickly.
    I was somewhat familiar with a small company based in the UK by the name of Singular, who has a small but passionate following in the 29er world, and their Gryphon model fit the bill for my needs. When I learned of their intentions to integrate rack mounts in their 2012 lineup, I deposited my money for a pre-order in August 2011. In the mean time, I was riding my son's Motobecane 29er with scabbed on rack, saddle, handlebars, daynamo lighting, etc in hopes of a new ride in the fall.
    After a slightly slower than planned fabrication process (the frames are designed in the UK and fabbed in Taiwan) and an unprecedented (for them) 2 month delay in customs, the frames were ready to ship from Marty's Shop (The Prarie Peddler) last week. Marty was great to work with, and was beside himself with all of the shipping issues. I think we're both releived!

So, when my wife called me yesterday with the words "there's something on the porch for you", I took the rest of the day off, and was greeted with this:

I got right to work, installing the headset and playing with the Phil Wood licensed Eccentric Bottom Bracket:

Marty mentioned that the frames had shipped sans headbadges, so mine will be on its way in the not too distant future.

Ready to build!

I had done the geo and knew a shorter stem would be in order, so I installed a Thomson 80mm instead of the 120mm that was nearby.

Fast forward, and here she is, ready for action!

I chose the Nuvinci over the Alfine 11 due to concerns with the Alfine 1-2 gears blowing out in off road use. Possibly unfounded fear, but I've been curious about the Nuvinci for a while now, so it was a $1000 cheaper option than a Rohloff <cough>.

The one design flaw was a lack of proper eyelets for fenders. In time I will braze some lowrider mounts on the fork. Until then, P-clamps work just fine

All built up and ready to go!

I took the bike out for a little spin to dial everything in, and it rides GREAT. Super smooth, not jarring at all (like my Norco Vesta was), and the Nuvinci is really nice.
    I'll give her a trial by fire in the morning, as it is raining (yeah, this is Salt Lake City - it SHOULD be snowing).
    I'll post more as I settle in to the new ride.

Here's a rundown of the build
    - Frame/fork: XL Singular Gryphon
    - Handlebar: Jeff Jones Loop bar
    - Stem Thomson X4 80mm
    - Crank Truvative Stylo 1.1 180mm
    - Seatpost: Salsa
    - Brakes: Avid BB7, 185mm rotors - Shimano XTR front, Avid G3 rear
    - Saddle Brooks B-17 Narrow
    - Front wheel: Alfine Dynamo hub with Velocity Dyad rim (soon to be replaced with Salsa Gordo)
    - Tires Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 700x50 (28/29x2.0)
    - Cables: Jagwire ripcord
    - Chain Wippermann 3/8"
    - Rack: Civia
    - Rear Wheel: Nuvinci N360 hub, Salsa Gordo rim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Gryphon has landed!-gryphon-front1.jpg  

The Gryphon has landed!-gryphon-rear1.jpg  

The Gryphon has landed!-gryphon-top1.jpg  

Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-22-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats! That came out great. You sure didn't waste any time once it arrived. Thanks for the BB pix, I see how that works now.

Bedwards Of The West
    oooh nice. I like it. What bar tape is that? I might have to go similar on my next bike...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

weirdo
    That`s a sharp looking bike!
    135mm front spacing? I thought only fat bikes had that.

mtbr member
    I have been considering the NuVinci for my wife (she hates to shift). It has a bit of a weight penalty but that isn't going to be a major issue.

I like the Singular lineup too and wondered about Prairie Peddlar. Nice write up/photo shoot. BTW I don't recognize the bottle mounted item on the seat tube. A folded pump?

BrianMc

Bedwards Of The West
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Gryphon has landed!-picture1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice. I like the Singular lineup. Nice to know Prairie Peddlar is good to work with.

Noce photo write up. I am considering the NuVinci for my wife's bike, as she doesn't like figuring out shifting (1 x 9 is another not too complicated option). I thought it would be great in a multi use mtn rigid like this or a fat bike application.

Is that a folded pump on the seat tube bottle mount? I can't make out the logo to look it up.

BrianMc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    yeah!
    Gotta have the first one t make the inevitable ones that follow less painful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianMc View Post
    Noce photo write up. I am considering the NuVinci for my wife's bike, as she doesn't like figuring out shifting (1 x 9 is another not too complicated option). I thought it would be great in a multi use mtn rigid like this or a fat bike application.

Is that a folded pump on the seat tube bottle mount? I can't make out the logo to look it up.

BrianMc
    I'd say Alfine 8 or Nuvinci would make your wife very happy.
    I'm coming from 5-6 years of exclusive Nexus/Alfine 8 usage and I can say the Nuvinci feels smoother at the pedals (Alfines have a mechanical feel - not at all bad, mind you -).

I've only got about 10 miles on it now, but my initial impressions are quite good. The Nuvinci is friggin' smooth. The fact that I am not limited to X set gear ratios is kind of fun. I am already finding myself dialing in the hub to my cadence and desired level of effort. It is really cool.

The thing on the seat tube is my Abus folding (bar-link) lock. It is a heavy sommbyatch but I really like it.
    Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-22-2012 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    That`s a sharp looking bike!
    135mm front spacing? I thought only fat bikes had that.
    This one is 100mm.
    Some of the options I was considering had 135, but I wanted to be able to use my dynamo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    oooh nice. I like it. What bar tape is that? I might have to go similar on my next bike...
    Salsa tape. I've been using it on my other bikes for about 2 years and really like it.

Bedwards Of The West
    It goes nice with the Brooks. I may go a little retro and do that combo.

since 4/10/2009
    I like the brown leather Brooks better than my black one. I wish I had found a comparable deal on a used brown one. ah well, they're probably more desirable and therefore command higher prices. could have just bought one new if I wanted it THAT bad.

also very nice you can fit 50's on that frame WITH the fenders.

Teen Wolf
    looks sweet. singular is definitely on my list of potentials.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    also very nice you can fit 50's on that frame WITH the fenders.
    EASILY. The front has space for 2.35 Big Apples and fenders (I made an extension bracket to lower the fender closer to the tire. Hell, I bet I could fit a 2.5 on there with a fender.
    The rear has plenty of room, too. I bet 2.2 slicks would fit. 2.35 Big Apples would probably be a tight fit - seat tube would probably be the limiting factor.

Anyway, I love it!
    Last edited by canyoneagle; 02-22-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Hi.
    That is a really nice looking setup!

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    what lights are those and are they really bright for commuter visibility?

SIIIICK build! I got the Brooks and H Loop bar on my Fisticuff commuter, and wouldn't mind something a bit more mtb-ish for commuter giggles....

Bedwards Of The West
    The top headlight is a Planet Bike Blaze 2 watt... I have the same one and use it by itself. Plenty bright for my dirt-road-in-the-dark commute, and I usually use it on the low setting. It has, low, high, and blinky modes. Blinky mode is seizure-inducing. 2 AA's... long battery life. A++ would buy again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campredcloudbikes View Post
    what lights are those and are they really bright for commuter visibility?

SIIIICK build! I got the Brooks and H Loop bar on my Fisticuff commuter, and wouldn't mind something a bit more mtb-ish for commuter giggles....
    Yep, commuterboy nailed it.
    The top lilght is the PB 2w Blaze, which is my full-time blinky.
    The lower one is a Supernova E3 Pro dynamo light (connected to the 3 LED tail light on the rack). The model of E3 that I chose is the "asymmetric" or "iris" lens, which is compliant with German traffic law (i.e. won't blind drivers). It sacrifices some pure lumens output for a more uniform "carpet of light" on the ground. It is measured a t 380 lumens, and does a GREAT job for my urban commute.
    I will be getting the E3 "triple" as a secondary light for off-road and rural riding. It is an 800 lumen dynamo light.

Nev
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not in commuter mode, but here's my Gryphon in single track and gravel road tire setup:

Paul's Fixed Disc hubs w/Velocity blunt wheels. WTB dirt drops. Fixed gear, always.

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    thanks for the light info guys. I just ordered up a PB 2W. At double the lumens of my Ptec EOS bike for $52, I figure its a great investment in not getting run over.
    Now our cockpits will be even more similar.
    Brooks, H bar, Light.....

Witty McWitterson
    Guess I don't prowl on MTBR as much as I should lately. Great build up CE, and thanks for the kind words! I'm stoked that you like the bike. I miss mine - and want to build up another.
    Just a regular guy.

Members who have read this thread: 0