Greetings From AZ- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Greetings From AZ

Hello All. Started mountain biking to work 3 weeks ago after spending 10 years on my butt. I always told myself I would work out but when it came to it there was always something I would rather do. So 4 weeks ago I was driving home and there was yet another accident on the freeway (usually get 2 a week). When there is an accident it turns a 7 mile drive into 45 minutes.

It dawned on me I could ride my bike just as fast and get a workout. The excuse of something else better to do is null and void since I have to get home one way or another. So 3 weeks ago I drove my car and bike to my wife's parent's place (half way mark) and rode to work 4.5 miles (.75 on the road and the rest all desert trail). It took 45 minutes to get there and my heart rate averaged 170. I was a bit ticked off that my garmin said that 45 minutes was "leisurely" Because I felt like I was going to die.

There were a lot of days I did not want to ride and I made excuses in my head not to ride as I got my riding clothes on. I rode anyway and the benefit is after work there is discipline by circumstance since I had no car to cheat. Fast forward to today and I got my commute time down to 30 minutes and my average heart rate down to 145. I have lost 11 pounds and my butt bones don't hurt as bad.

Friday I even felt so good that I stayed on the trail and rode the whole route home. 8.5 miles in 57 minutes. Wife was so sick of hearing me tell her I rode 13 miles in one day this entire weekend so I thought I would introduce myself here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Welcome and congratulations.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Welcome!!! Wife doesn't want to hear about your commutes? We do. http://forums.mtbr.com/commuting/how...ay-569221.html
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    Welcome foxtrot, and congrats on starting commuting! In another 3 weeks, you'll be even faster!

Members who have read this thread: 0