Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)

I have no loyalty to this project, but I need a new commuter, and did back it based on the killer spec. My rattle can'd Iron Horse convert is getting pretty tired.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rid-urban-carb

Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)-rogue_2-e1413490092442.jpg
    Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)-c6.jpg

-Integrated LED light set, check
    -Gates Carbon Drive, check.
    -Integrated Shimano 8 sd Internal hub, check.
    -Hydraulic disc brakes, check.
    -Tubeless wheelset, check.
    -Fenders included and rack ready, check, check..
    -Available in Orange!
    -5 year warranty.
    -Integrated GPS Location Based Service
    -Under a grand.
    (Not spam, just psyched)

actual specs for the record:
    Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)-specs.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)-rogue-fenders-qg-1-.jpg  

Last edited by bpnic; 11-11-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

guy
    I have to admit, that looks like a great deal. If only I was in the market for a commuter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That does seem like a sweet deal if it pans out. Breezer has a similarly spec'ed bike and it costs $1600 with an aluminum frame.

since 4/10/2009
    really nice spec for the price...but why bother with fenders at all? Also not a fan of integrated electronics How much cheaper would this bike be if it didn't have the crappy fenders and the unnecessary integrated electronic bits?

I am also not a fan of the dropout/disc mount combination. I had my time with a frame that had track ends and disc mount. Royal f'ing pain in my a$$ is what it was. You can NEVER get the damn system aligned properly so the pads don't hang off the rotor.

Knowing how sensitive belt drive bikes are to belt tension, I am curious what is being used to lock in the axle position to get the belt tension correct and consistent. I don't even see a chain tug of any sort.

I'd pass on it, unless I could be certain about the tensioning setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    really nice spec for the price...but why bother with fenders at all? Also not a fan of integrated electronics How much cheaper would this bike be if it didn't have the crappy fenders and the unnecessary integrated electronic bits?

I am also not a fan of the dropout/disc mount combination. I had my time with a frame that had track ends and disc mount. Royal f'ing pain in my a$$ is what it was. You can NEVER get the damn system aligned properly so the pads don't hang off the rotor.

Knowing how sensitive belt drive bikes are to belt tension, I am curious what is being used to lock in the axle position to get the belt tension correct and consistent. I don't even see a chain tug of any sort.

I'd pass on it, unless I could be certain about the tensioning setup.
    Good catch on the dropouts with the belt drive, I could see that being problematic but maybe they found a way to make it work.

Breezer seems to be using vertical dropouts, I think with an EBB.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    the fenders look useless. I'd probably like the bike if it wasn't for those horrendous and useless fenders.

mtbr member
    I just emailed the Project starter about the tensioning and alignment of the rear axle. I'll post his reply. He has two protos running daily now, so I'm hoping he's either worked it out or including tugs.

Days ago I asked him about the lights and fenders, as well as the microchip GPS thing.
    He was pretty informative (neat back story on that guy) and essentially said the fenders are included as an accessory in the box (not pre installed or permanent) and can be swapped out for our favorite fenders if you wish. I run SKS race blades, so I'll compare when (if) the Project succeeds.
    He stated the LED bar lights will be no less than 200 lumens, but he is working to upgrade to 500 for launch with no additional cost. I run a Magicshine on my helmet anyway, so the bar would be supplemental. Same with taillights for me, I usually run my Planet Bike, so the post mounted LEDs will supplement it. My philosophy is the brighter at night/mornings, the better.

I'll post back w/his dropout answer.

mtbr member
    Being bored at work right now...I did notice these on the C6.

Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)-tugs.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KentheKona View Post
    the fenders look useless. I'd probably like the bike if it wasn't for those horrendous and useless fenders.
    Worse than useless, maximum non-aero-ness, combined with water in your face and all over your crankset. Seriously, they're designed like drag 'chutes, who the hell thought of those fenders? Bonus stupidity points for only having one stay.
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Hey man, you're killing their Ebay resale value!

(totally agree; form over function, or a low cost after thought)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bpnic View Post
    Hey man, you're killing their Ebay resale value!

(totally agree; form over function, or a low cost after thought)
    It looks to me like they were focused on making the fenders cool and different. I'd also hazard a guess that they haven't ridden in the rain with good fenders.

mtbr member
    As for the fenders, the dude's based in Seattle, so they must work, right?

mtbr member
    As for the fenders, the dude's based in Seattle, so they must work, right?
    Is he working that angle?! I'm based in Seattle, commute year round (20 miles 3 days a week) and if someone gave me those fenders I'd put them in the trash (recycling actually).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Is he working that angle?! I'm based in Seattle, commute year round (20 miles 3 days a week) and if someone gave me those fenders I'd put them in the trash (recycling actually).

Nah, that was just my attempt at witty humor

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, those complaining about the fenders, have you tried fenders like that or do you just know they don't work?

mtbr member
    Most bikes don't include them, so I'm glad he's throwing in a set. I prefer my Raceblades (when they don't rub) over the few others I've tried, but they do rub, so I plan to at least try the included pair with the C6 (assuming it reaches it's project goal).

Fenders are like saddles/pedals, everyone usually already has a favorite.

mtbr member
    I just emailed the Project starter about the tensioning and alignment of the rear axle. I'll post his reply. He has two protos running daily now, so I'm hoping he's either worked it out or including tugs.

I'll post back w/his dropout answer.

(The designers) Reply:

Brian, I use something similar to tugs, they are special lockout grooves that the bolts connect to on the dropout that lock before your tighten.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Out of curiosity, those complaining about the fenders, have you tried fenders like that or do you just know they don't work?
    These fenders do go lower in the back than many, which is a step in the right direction, but doesn't tell the whole story. On a full coverage rear fender, you WANT it to extend forward to the ST/BB junction to keep forward spray from being a problem. About all these fenders will do is prevent the stripe up your back. But they do NOTHING for forward spray.

Riding through puddles (not even active rain) with a front fender like that is a great way to get sprayed in the face when you have some speed.

OP, I was looking for one of those tensioner screws and didn't see it in the pics I was looking at. Good catch. That should address the belt tension issue, but it doesn't help with rotor/caliper alignment. I would prefer sliding or swinging drops, if tensioning is to be done at the hub, but an ebb would be a clean way to do it, too.

mtbr member

OP, I was looking for one of those tensioner screws and didn't see it in the pics I was looking at. Good catch. That should address the belt tension issue, but it doesn't help with rotor/caliper alignment. I would prefer sliding or swinging drops, if tensioning is to be done at the hub, but an ebb would be a clean way to do it, too.
    Thanks! I was looking for a tensioning method in that area, and had to enlarge the pic to find it. In the meantime, he also got back to me with a reply to my tensioner question:

(The designers) Reply:
    Brian, I use something similar to tugs, they are special lockout grooves that the bolts connect to on the dropout that lock before your tighten.

RE: rear caliper alignment: I haven't run a rear brake in years, so it's not a deal breaker for me. I understand a ton of people do though.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I like it but at the same time hate it for some reason. The fenders are pretty much a joke it looks like. Run full fenders or run nothing, but not this half ass concoction that they came up with. Look cool but probably do not work that well as mentioned above. I like the idea of a carbon belt drive, but the dropouts have me so confused. Why would they do that? Even with a tug nut or tensioner, why? Kill off the integrated lights and GPS, along with those fenders, and you have something pretty nice for commuting. Overkill for me with the rear hub though but that is just based on my terrain.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    These fenders do go lower in the back than many, which is a step in the right direction, but doesn't tell the whole story. On a full coverage rear fender, you WANT it to extend forward to the ST/BB junction to keep forward spray from being a problem. About all these fenders will do is prevent the stripe up your back. But they do NOTHING for forward spray.

so is that a "yes you've tried them" or a visual engineering based on how you think they'll work?

mtbr member
    Nah, that was just my attempt at witty humor
    I got that (and laughed), I just hadn't actually been to the Kickstarter page and was going by the photos here. It wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to play up that angle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    I got that (and laughed), I just hadn't actually been to the Kickstarter page and was going by the photos here. It wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to play up that angle.
    Ha, gotcha!

The more I watch the C6 video, the better it looks to me. But, there's a reason those fenders are rarely seen on the bike!

mtbr member
    Not those exact ones, but I've tried a lot of fenders over the years, and anything less than full fenders with long mudflaps are nearly useless in my book.

Fenders DO create some aerodynamic drag, and yes, just by looking at them, I can tell you that those couldn't create more drag if they were purposely designed to act as air brakes. BTW, I'm no weight weenie (quite the opposite) and ride pretty upright, but those fenders are outrageously non-aerodynamic due to where the fronts of them end.

I've had experience with almost every kind of fender stay out there too, and I'd be really surprised if those single point of attachment (and close together leading up to that) stays didn't cause problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    so is that a "yes you've tried them" or a visual engineering based on how you think they'll work?
    I did it based on visual engineering and my experience from riding through rain, snow, sleet, and slush. It'll offer some protection, but for what it is its more about looking cool and avant-garde instead of being practical. I think there will still be some back spray and definitely plastering of your bike with gunk. How far back the fenders go on both wheels is nice, but it needs to go farther forward like a typical fender. For me it's full coverage or a waste of space.

mtbr member
    Alright, fenders aside, does anyone know how this tech stuff works? Would a 2G cell service subscription be required or something? Go easy on me, I'm not terribly tech savvy.

Regardless of if it's necessary, I wonder how it's all actually supposed to work.

From the Kickstarter C6 link in the first post:

A) "Track your bike (via SMS) from anywhere in the world, receive the coordinates of your bike and a Google Maps link to its location within 30 seconds of tracking."

From the comments section:
    B) "There are 2 separate GPS. One is embedded in the frame and that is powered by a 28A 6v battery, the second GPS is a custom application you will be able to download from iTunes and Google Play that overlays onto Google maps on your phone"

EDIT: Google tried to explain to me but, maybe it's the beer, as I still don't really grasp it. I gathered you pay a monthly service fee, to whom I don't know, and it vaguely tracks your bike to within 30 feet or so. Assuming it's still outdoors and sunny out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    i like it, and I like that fact that they "ship anywhere in the world". I'm in Japan, but I don't know if I'll be ready to pull the trigger by the 20th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Re: Great deal on a well spec'd commuter (Kickstarter project commuter)

Fair warning, belts require fairly high tension, Shimano's IGH run best with some slack. The two are mutually exclusive, and while it will work, it will wear the hub gears sooner than it would with a chain.

Plus, a Gates sprocket costs upwards of $50 to replace, a regular sprocket only costs $10-15 apiece. Belt components might last slightly longer, but they aren't worth the added cost and headache, in my experience. Good for keeping white pants clean, not much else going for them, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So its a bike designed for commuting/touring without any provisions for a rack? If it doesn't have a rack I might as well take a real road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
    So its a bike designed for commuting/touring without any provisions for a rack? If it doesn't have a rack I might as well take a real road bike.
    It's pre drilled for a rack, you just have to read on a bit further.

EDIT: See FAQ Section
    Last edited by bpnic; 11-19-2014 at 06:00 AM.