A great deal- Mtbr.com

Thread: A great deal

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

A great deal

I have often window shoped for reflective gear. But everything in the bicycle world is really expensive. So I shouted "eureka" this past weekend when I saw an outlandishly reflective safety long sleeve mesh polyester jersy at Academy for $20. Made by Wolverine.
    I am becoming commute dork one piece of cheap gear at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    oh yeah, and a roadie waved backed at me yesterday. I'm one for 500.

Bedwards Of The West
    Nice. I'm a big fan of lightweights: www.lightweights.org
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez
    oh yeah, and a roadie waved backed at me yesterday. I'm one for 500.
    Try the head nod. I'm one for 50 with those. It means grudging respect rather than "we're both cyclists!"

weirdo
    I get my dorkwear from a saftey supplies outlet over in the industrial area of town. No jerseys, but they do have awesome reflective vests intended for highway workers starting at about $15.

I still need to get some of those Lightweights- I tried wrapping little flags from 1 x 1 pieces of reflective tape around my spokes, but it doesn`t deal well with the tight bend and peels off within a week or so.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I just picked up one of these:http://www.niteize.com/productdetail...product_id=163
    For $7 bucks at my local outdoor shop. It's actually pretty cool, I feel like I'm definitely seen from the side now. They actually have some pretty cool stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by elvez
    I have often window shoped for reflective gear. But everything in the bicycle world is really expensive. So I shouted "eureka" this past weekend when I saw an outlandishly reflective safety long sleeve mesh polyester jersy at Academy for $20. Made by Wolverine.
    I am becoming commute dork one piece of cheap gear at a time.
    Are u sure? Maybe u always look for branded/racing qualtiy stuff? My first real commuter uses a no brand made in china 48/38/28 touring crank for only $20(I decide to upgrade from stock 42T). It is an alloy,lighter than some shimano counterpart which is 100percent more expensive. As for stiffness, it is very good for the price I paid. For me in cycling, if u have the will. U can always manage to get cheap and reasonable quality stuff easily. Bicyle and parts will never cost u an arm or leg than cars or motrbike unless u start to look for competitive/racing parts which I admit, is expensive.

To me, the china crank was a great great deal.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
    I still need to get some of those Lightweights- I tried wrapping little flags from 1 x 1 pieces of reflective tape around my spokes, but it doesn`t deal well with the tight bend and peels off within a week or so.
    The lightweights are so thin, they have a second 'backing' on the front that you peel off as you apply them, decal-style. You could never peel-and-stick the material, it would tear apart. I was worried about durability, but I've had them for a year in all weather, and except for where I've hit them with the tire tools when changing a tube, they still look new.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Members who have read this thread: 0